2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VII (link to draft order, TV info in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
IMO we should have kept our mouth shut about adding a goalie prospect, now every team knows that, i hope we leapfrogs couple of teams in the 2nd rd to get our guy.

I do think think that if we moved up to ~50 I would be annoyed if they then picked Tomek or Vladar... as there will be some awesome skaters available there!

If we missed out on Vladar or Tomek as a team in the mid 2nd reached for them that is fine by me...

as it means some great skaters more worthy of a mid 2nd are pushed down closer to us! Then we could just draft more of a project, but who also has a high ceiling, like Sandstrom closer to 100.

2014 was just a bit bizarre... a lot more goalies ranked in the top ~80 and then a big run on them in the early 2nd. Other drafts it has usually been the 3rd where the run on goalies starts.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Appleyard, could you give some information on novak? I'm very unfamiliar with him.

I have only seen highlight videos (as he is a USHL guy) alongside reading quite a bit on him but I have quite liked him most of the year. (had him at #27 in my top 60 in March.)

What jumps out is him stick-handling, good skating (very elusive) and vision, as well as how quickly he sees the game play out offensively. He also seemingly works hard all the time and is decent on D. He really needs to shoot more as he has a good wrister.

I have seen him described as the kind of guy who the puck follows round the rink.

I think he has the ability to be a playmaking ~70 point NHLer if he pans out... his offensive ability seems very impressive. Also I think he is pretty 'safe'as he could be a decent 3C with his skillset, he is close to 6'1 but only 180lbs, once he fills out he will be no-where near small.

In another draft he would likely be taken around 20 overall... but tbh he likely goes 25-40 in this draft.

Also, while listed as a C he can play LW, I don't think that many people know that but he did in high school at times and on the national programme at times.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I have only seen highlight videos (as he is a USHL guy) alongside reading quite a bit on him but I have quite liked him most of the year. (had him at #27 in my top 60 in March.)

What jumps out is him stick-handling, good skating (very elusive) and vision, as well as how quickly he sees the game play out offensively. He also seemingly works hard all the time and is decent on D. He really needs to shoot more as he has a good wrister.

I have seen him described as the kind of guy who the puck follows round the rink.

I think he has the ability to be a playmaking ~70 point NHLer if he pans out... his offensive ability seems very impressive. Also I think he is pretty 'safe'as he could be a decent 3C with his skillset, he is close to 6'1 but only 180lbs, once he fills out he will be no-where near small.

In another draft he would likely be taken around 20 overall... but tbh he likely goes 25-40 in this draft.

Also, while listed as a C he can play LW, I don't think that many people know that but he did in high school at times and on the national programme at times.

Thank you for that, sounds like a potentially a good pick.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Predictions on new draft picks. I think we trade Luke Schenn and Nik Grossmann.

Matt Read might be another player who is moved but not in a draft pick deal.

Nick Grossmann + #128 to Buffalo for #51
Luke Schenn to Calgary for #53

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I had a feeling something was off when we thought they didn't even interview Barzal... it just didn't make any sense.

There's no way they didn't interview one of the top 10 players in the draft.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Feel like Marner could slip. I think AZ is all about Strome, they need a big playmaking C. If TO is as high on Provorov as people are saying they are and he goes 4, I think Car is a lock to take Hanifin at 5, or be a total wild card and take Crouse. NJ is another team that may give up a little skill for more size down the middle and could totally see them taking Barzal over him, but no way they take a D-man.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Remember you said that.

The Hockey News ranked Peter Forsberg 25th when the Flyers surprised people by taking him 6th overall. They wanted to make sure they got him. I wouldn't say that ended up a mistake.

Granted, that's an extreme example.

But I think Red Line Report ranks Guryanov 8th or something like that, saying if he played Canadian junior he'd be a top 10 lock.

And from what I've seen, he is an INSANE talent.

His ceiling is through the roof.

I'm on record as being a Barzal guy, and after that Connor, Konecny, and Crouse. I'd love to get one of them AND Guryanov by trading up from 29. That would be ideal.

But I'm really not sure I'd risk missing Guryanov to take one of them instead. That's how much I like what I see from Guryanov.

(I think it's probably a moot point, because the Flyers seem hesitant to take Russians early, as evidenced by their ranking of Nichushkin.)

I quoted you to express that I enjoyed your mixed metaphor. You aren't in construction, are you? ;)

On Guryanov, I'd be very pleased if he fell to 29. Take the home run swing rather than a safe choice like Carlo.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
My ideal scenario:

McDavid to the Oil
Eichel to Buffalo
Arizona goes Strome
The rumors of the Leafs' interest in Provorov is true and they take him
The rumors of the Canes' interest in Crouse is true and they take him
Devils see Hanifin sitting there and have him ranked the 3rd best player in the draft, and so decide they have to take him.

Marner is ours!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The risk I mentioned is Guryanov remaining in the KHL.

I understood you. My point was that in the back half of the first round you're typically waiting on kids in regards to cracking your lineup for a while regardless of what league they're coming out of. So the risk is lessened especially in a situation like the Flyers where they're already selecting beforehand in the top 10.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The risk I mentioned is Guryanov remaining in the KHL.

Some good info on him from the prospect boards. The interview is in Russian.

Main points:

Guryanov will attend the draft ceremony and hopes to be drafted as high as possible
27 out of 30 teams interviewed him at the combine
Thinks he should establish himself at KHL first before going to NHL
His English is bad, but he hired a teacher

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
My ideal scenario:

McDavid to the Oil
Eichel to Buffalo
Arizona goes Strome
The rumors of the Leafs' interest in Provorov is true and they take him
The rumors of the Canes' interest in Crouse is true and they take him
Devils see Hanifin sitting there and have him ranked the 3rd best player in the draft, and so decide they have to take him.

Marner is ours!

This would be my dream scenario as well.:handclap:

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
IMO we should have kept our mouth shut about adding a goalie prospect, now every team knows that, i hope we leapfrogs couple of teams in the 2nd rd to get our guy.

To be honest, anyone can look at the Flyers depth chart and see only Stolarz there. Don't think it was a big secret coming iinto this draft, and any team can get reports on Stolarz and tell that hes not lighting the world on fire

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I understood you. My point was that in the back half of the first round you're typically waiting on kids in regards to cracking your lineup for a while regardless of what league they're coming out of. So the risk is lessened especially in a situation like the Flyers where they're already selecting beforehand in the top 10.

Agreed on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad