2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VII (link to draft order, TV info in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
New thread, the last one surpassed its suggested maximum.

The prior thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1892067&page=41

---------------------------------------

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the order of selection for the 2015 NHL Draft, June 26-27 at BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla. The first round will be conducted on Friday, June 26 and broadcast live by NBCSN in the United States and Sportsnet and TVA in Canada, beginning at 7 p.m., ET. Rounds 2-7 will be held on Saturday, June 27, beginning at 10 a.m., ET, with NHL Network providing live coverage to viewers throughout North America.

Link to draft order: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771374

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Flyguy who are your top guys as of right now?

I think for me it's:

1) Zacha
2) Provorov
3) Connor
4) Barzal
5) Werenski
6) Crouse
7) Rantanen

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To be honest, my list is

If by some miracle it becomes possible to get Marner, then him

Then:

Zacha
Provorov
Werenski
Barzal
Connor
all tied with no real preference

And then

Crouse
Rantanen

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Flyguy who are your top guys as of right now?

I think for me it's:

1) Zacha
2) Provorov
3) Connor
4) Barzal
5) Werenski
6) Crouse
7) Rantanen
I've been trying to come up with a list in my head and I can't do it this year. Most years its easy and I have one or two favorites by now. I'll be okay with pretty much any guy they pick. Probably won't love it at first, but probably won't hate it either.

My top 4
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Marner
4. Strome

After that its a cluster**** for me. :laugh:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I've been trying to come up with a list in my head and I can't do it this year. Most years its easy and I have one or two favorites by now. I'll be okay with pretty much any guy they pick. Probably won't love it at first, but probably won't hate it either.

My top 4
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Marner
4. Strome

I think one thing that we can all agree on: they will be adding a blue chip prospect to the pool in a few weeks. That's a fun feeling.

Werenski too
Yep. Nice catch.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think one thing that we can all agree on: they will be adding a blue chip prospect to the pool in a few weeks. That's a fun feeling.
To expand (in no order)...

Zacha is a top 5 talent but something doesn't add up.
Barzal is fast and a tremendous playmaker but I fear he may not get much better.
Rantanen has the size and playmaking skill you look for but nothing special about his skating or ability to finish.
Hanifin has good size and is an elite skater, but I don't get the sense he is going to be a difference maker in the offensive end.
Provorov really has no glaring weaknesses and has a pro body, but not a dynamic enough skater given his height to get me overly excited about him.
Connor is the mystery man. Glowing scouting report but hasn't been exposed to a lot of high end competition.
Werenski is the riskiest of the top 3 defensemen, but something tells me he might turn out to be the best of the bunch.
Meier had a great season, but I would have reservations about taking a guy that high who has never been asked to be the lead guy.
Crouse has been debated enough. You wish he were a little more dynamic with the puck, but does everything else at a pretty high level.
Merkley love his compete and playmaking ability, but undersized and not enough raw ability to be a top 10 guy for me.
Konecny same as Merkley.

I don't trust everything this organization does, but I trust the scouting department to pick the best player. I'm actually more excited to see who they add beyond the 1st pick as odd as that may sound. Having 10 picks is exciting. I doubt they end up with 10 players this year, but it is a great opportunity to re-stock the farm. That is what really gets me excited.

Last edited:

OurSaviorGhostBear

Nov 2, 2014
My list is something like

1a. Zacha
1b. Provorov
3.Connor
4. Barzal
5. Werenski
6.Crouse
7.Rantanen

Unless the flyers reach really far or someone drops we will be picking one of these guys with our pick.

The interesting part of the draft will be who they select with the TB pick. Hell we could choose a goalie for all we know. There have been rumblings that the flyers really like samsonov and if he made it to our pick I could definitely see him being our pick even though I am not a fan of taking him or any goalie in the first round but we need goalie depth. Also I don't know if somebody said this on here or not but supposedly if the team that drafted Werenski wanted him to play for the London knights, he would.

The GM of the coyotes said that he received calls from three teams about the third overall pick. I wonder if the flyers are one of them and if we did acquire the pick, who would we select?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Pretty much. My list keeps changing from 5-14. Only constants near the top of that list have been Connor and Provorov which is why they're the ones I advocate for. I agree that I'd steer clear of Meier that high. I've always been a big fan of Konecny, but he's not a top 10 pick, either. I'm also comparatively low on Werenski. I got around five non-WJC viewings of him this year and just never really was overly impressed. Could be a sample size issue, but it's hard for me to get excited about a guy I've never seen take charge of a game.

Can we see any of the potential picks playing in October?

Honestly, I think Crouse, Zacha, Rantanen, and Provorov all have some kind of chance even if not very high for a couple of them. The rest have almost no chance.

On another note, I'm going to follow Zacha's development intently whether we end up with him or not. Always had a soft spot for Czech players. I couldn't justify the gamble on him at #7, but no denying he's got an exciting profile to keep an eye on. Such an odd case with him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm almost certain Zacha is a winger at the next level. It would be nice to have a 6'3 center in your pocket, but nothing about him strikes me as a center. You put him on the wing, simplify the game for him, and put him with guys that are going to get the puck to him. Very good shot and release. Good coming down the wing. Pretty good skater, but not what I would call elite. Not much of a playmaker. Not much of a two-way guy. If nothing else he should be a threat on the PP. Very good one-timer on his off-side.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm almost certain Zacha is a winger at the next level. It would be nice to have a 6'3 center in your pocket, but nothing about him strikes me as a center. You put him on the wing, simplify the game for him, and put him with guys that are going to get the puck to him. Very good shot and release. Good coming down the wing. Pretty good skater, but not what I would call elite. Not much of a playmaker. Not much of a two-way guy. If nothing else he should be a threat on the PP. Very good one-timer on his off-side.

I love how he's able to get the shot off on the rush in full stride. He doesn't need much time or space to let it go. I would agree he's a winger moving forward, but I found his comments at the combine pretty encouraging:

[nhl]827976[/nhl]

[nhl]827935[/nhl]

He sees himself as a two-way player which at least means he has the mentality to improve upon that area of his game. I see some Kovalchuk to his game. Not nearly as dynamic, obviously, but he has similar energy and tenacity.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Flyers didn't speak to Meier either (from his interview). He was mentioned in McKenzie's tweet from last week.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
If Zacha plays wing, doesn't he strike you as more of an off-wing than a LW?.

Yes. At the NHL he has the skills to play the meat and potatoes game along with the skill. If he keeps his game simple he could flourish as 1st line LW. Most projections see him as a center.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
“You can always learn something,” said Pryor. “Maybe it’s just one player that you find out something -- either better or worse -- that causes you to move him up and down.

“I don’t know if it eliminates anybody as much as it could push a guy back and then, if that guy is still there, later, you have a conversation about him.

“So it does hold value.”

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769968&navid=DL|PHI|home

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Wish their second first was higher; I want Konecny. I like that dude.
I've only seen him in that game he played in the Subway Super Series, and I can't say he stood out. I guess he must've played better in the OHL if he was made captain of his team and of Team Canada at the WJC U18.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
I've only seen him in that game he played in the Subway Super Series, and I can't say he stood out. I guess he must've played better in the OHL if he was made captain of his team and of Team Canada at the WJC U18.

Are you kidding me? Did you even watch the game??????? Wow........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad