2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VII (link to draft order, TV info in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It would give us our LW and RHD we need for the future.

I'm not a fan of Roy, another undersized defender who's not a top notch skater. At #29 it wouldn't be terrible though & he still has physical maturity to go which could improve his skating amongst other things but I still like other players much better.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Meltzer's top 20:
Without putting painstaking thought into it, something like this. But can easily flip some interchangeably in Flyers range

1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Marner
4. Strome
5. Provorov
6. Hanifan
7. Barzal
8. Connor
9. Crouse
10. Rantanen
11. Zacha
12. Werenski
13. Meier
14. Svechnikov
15.White
16. Boeser
17. Zboril
18. Konecny
19. Chabot
20. Sprong

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I've posted multiple times about how eager I am for this draft. The suspense is killing me. I just want to know who our next prospects will be so I can research everything about them and speculate wildly about their future Hall of Fame career

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
My final top 20:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Mitch Marner
5. Ivan Provorov
6. Kyle Connor
7. Dylan Strome
8. Mikko Rantanen
9. Zach Werenski
10. Pavel Zacha
11. Lawson Crouse
12. Mathew Barzal
13. Travis Konecny
14. Timo Meier
15. Thomas Chabot
16. Anthony Beauvillier
17. Denis Guryanov
18. Colin White
19. Brock Boeser
20. Jake DeBrusk

Eriksson Ek, Juulsen, and Zboril just missed.

Some are really interchangeable (Provorov/Connor/Strome and Zacha/Crouse and Barzal/Konecny in particular).

EDIT: Haven't seen anything of Guryanov outside of a few clips-- just going by what I've read. Same with Boeser.

Last edited:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
HF7, you seem like a guy who watches a lot of these prospects. How would you compare Strome's skating to Couturier's both coming out of junior? I hear it's a weakness of his but to what extent?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Crouse I think has a high ceiling, but I'm still afraid of using 7th overall on a possible Lucic. Probably why I'd rather go for Connor because he'd have a higher chance of being a legit scoring threat in the NHL while still being a very good two-way player.
You wouldn't take a Lucic 7th overall? What are you expecting out of the pick?

Crouse is a more complete player than Lucic anyway. Whether he becomes as physically dominating is another story.

Here is Hanifin's comparables. http://www.coppernblue.com/2015/6/22/8824083/noah-hanifin-comparables

These comparables have me thinking Provorov will be the best dman from this draft class in the end. I really hope he is there at 7.

I'm hoping they do Crouse tomorrow.
Am I missing something? There's two comparables within the last decade and they are both a year older when the played in the NCAA. The number of 17 year old defensemen to play college hockey is a very short list.

Austin Wagner is a guy I could see the Flyers targeting with their second pick if he's still on the board.

He's got good size (needs to still fill out weight wise) along with good all around skating & defensive play. His offensive game is growing & steadily improved in that area as the year went on this past year. He played his whole draft year as a 17 year old which is encouraging as he could just be a little beyond in his maturity compared to others.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=161117
Paddock was his coach this year. Not sure what the relationship with him is like anymore.

I've been watching clips of Denis Guryanov.

People rave about Zacha's explosiveness, skill, and shot... Guryanov beats him in all three.

I sincerely would be happy with Guryanov at 7.
Yup. Very impressive physical tools. Top 10 talent easily, but a lot of risk to take him that high.

Hold on a second.

Statistically, Provorov just had as good a year as Sanheim did...yet did it as a rookie and while 9 months younger.

Everyone here hypes Sanheim to be a possible #1, yet Provorov doesn't have much upside?

Must be the same people who said Ekblad was a man amongst boys and would not be near effective once in the NHL. Provorov deserves all the hype he is getting. He earned it.

Brandon scored 51 more goals than Calgary. That's a ton. Brandon scored 78 PP goals. Calgary scored 59. Didn't Flyguy post saying that Sanheim only had 35% of his points on the PP and Provorov was over 50%? Sanheim wasn't even on the top PP unit for a decent chunk of the season. If he had been, his totals blow away Provorov. It's my understanding that Provorov spent the entire year on the top unit, and stats seem to indicate he did. Just reciting the raw point totals doesn't tell the story here. Sanheim's season was much more impressive.

I understand Provorov is younger, but he's also much more physically developed than Sanheim. Sanheim is still growing. Provorov is maxed out. I don't know how it's even debatable that Sanheim doesn't have more upside.
Sanheim 23/65 35% of his points were on the PP.
Provorov 34/61 53% of his points were on the PP.

Sanheim .63 ES PPG
Provorov .45 ES PPG

Thomas Chabot had as many ES points as Provorov on a worse team and I don't hear people talking about him being in the same class as Provorov offensively.

Not a hard or fast rule or anything, but to people that wonder why Brandon Gormley isn't doing anything in the NHL, look at the percentage of points he got on the PP to what he got at ES in the Q. Those PP points don't come as easy in the NHL.

And as you mentioned Brandon was the highest scoring team in the league. If they switched teams, I don't think Provorov puts up nearly the same numbers on Calgary. Go back to what he did in the USHL on a good team that didn't score as much. Compare that to what Hanifin and Werenski did last year. It will put things into perspective. He'll be a productive player at the next level if given the opportunity, but for people that just look at his numbers and expect to see an Erik Karlsson type player, you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
HF7, you seem like a guy who watches a lot of these prospects. How would you compare Strome's skating to Couturier's both coming out of junior? I hear it's a weakness of his but to what extent?

I wasn't watching too much junior hockey when Couturier was playing, but speaking strictly on Strome, I am not concerned by his skating. It's really not that bad. It's not a strength, but it's definitely good enough to not hold him back.

I'm also one who doesn't prioritize foot speed, though. As long as you make decisions quickly, you can more than make up for what you lack in straight up skating speed, imo.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I wasn't watching too much junior hockey when Couturier was playing, but speaking strictly on Strome, I am not concerned by his skating. It's really not that bad. It's not a strength, but it's definitely good enough to not hold him back.

I'm also one who doesn't prioritize foot speed, though. As long as you make decisions quickly, you can more than make up for what you lack in straight up skating speed, imo.

Thanks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's more agile and fluid than Couturier was at the same level. He moves a lot better laterally and that allows him to create more in the offensive zone. If Couturier was a better lateral skater, I think you would see a much more productive player with the puck on his stick.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
He's more agile and fluid than Couturier was at the same level. He moves a lot better laterally and that allows him to create more in the offensive zone. If Couturier was a better lateral skater, I think you would see a much more productive player with the puck on his stick.

His first steps are also better than Couturier's. That's Couturier's biggest issue as a skater, imo. It takes him several strides to get moving. With Strome, it's really only his top speed that's an "issue". Everything else is fine or good.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You wouldn't take a Lucic 7th overall? What are you expecting out of the pick?

Crouse is a more complete player than Lucic anyway. Whether he becomes as physically dominating is another story.

Am I missing something? There's two comparables within the last decade and they are both a year older when the played in the NCAA. The number of 17 year old defensemen to play college hockey is a very short list.

Paddock was his coach this year. Not sure what the relationship with him is like anymore.

Yup. Very impressive physical tools. Top 10 talent easily, but a lot of risk to take him that high.

Sanheim 23/65 35% of his points were on the PP.
Provorov 34/61 53% of his points were on the PP.

Sanheim .63 ES PPG
Provorov .45 ES PPG

Thomas Chabot had as many ES points as Provorov on a worse team and I don't hear people talking about him being in the same class as Provorov offensively.

Not a hard or fast rule or anything, but to people that wonder why Brandon Gormley isn't doing anything in the NHL, look at the percentage of points he got on the PP to what he got at ES in the Q.

And as you mentioned Brandon was the highest scoring team in the league. If they switched teams, I don't think Provorov puts up nearly the same numbers on Calgary. Go back to what he did in the USHL on a good team that didn't score as much. Compare that to what Hanifin and Werenski did last year. It will put things into perspective. He'll be a productive player at the next level if given the opportunity, but for people that just look at his numbers and expect to see an Erik Karlsson type player, you will be disappointed.

Honestly, I'm not concerned if Provorov doesn't produce as much in the NHL. I just want good, well rounded dmen that CAN play at both ends. All of our top 3 d have offensive upside. And if we added Provorov, chances are one or 2 will take a hit offensively. I am fine with that because they still all are good skaters and passers and will be great in transitioning from D to O.

Put it this way, I wouldn't draft him hoping for him to be Karlsson. I draft him hoping he would be Suter.

Hope that makes sense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Makes sense to me. Provorov's point totals aren't the main reason he'll be a top 10 pick.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Makes sense to me. Provorov's point totals aren't the main reason he'll be a top 10 pick.

His teammates called him a breakout machine. That is the thing that most intrigues me about him since today's game is all about transition. Points are a bit overrated IMO for defensemen. There a many defensemen I would take over Karlson. Hanifin is also being picked apart because some are worried about how many points he will have.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
My questions aren't really with his offensive game either, but more about his size/skating combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad