2015 NHL Draft Thread (Lottery: 4/18, Draft: 6/26-6/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I really don't want to see my "prediction" from the thread in pre-season come true.... "CBJ ends up with another 2015 1st". That would indicate another year of SUCK and I simply can't handle that as a day 1 season ticket holder who has never wavered.

CBJ has a solid pipeline and I don't think it's reasonable to judge the likes of Wennberg, Dano or Rychel as NHL players right now. Without the injuries A) it's very likely Wennberg and Dano would not have made the NHL roster and B) with the injuries they both were not playing in an ideal situation (place in lineup, matchups, etc.). It's really not hard to see that Wennberg and Dano have potential to be very good additions and Rychel looks like he's started to adjust to the AHL. After 0 pts in his first 5 games he has 6 pts in his last 8.

This draft sounds very promising through the first few rounds and we have 6 picks through 3 rounds right now. I'd like to see the Defense stocked personally.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just for reference here are the odds for the draft lottery:

1 20.0%
2 13.5%
3 11.5%
4 9.5%
5 8.5%
6 7.5%
7 6.5%
8 6.0%
9 5.0%
10 3.5%
11 3.0%
12 2.5%
13 2.0%
14 1.0%

Not sure I like the thought of a team at 14 getting McDavid but it is what it is.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As long as we come away with Mceichifin I don't care! :laugh:

Mcdavid or Eichel changes the face of the franchise, while Hanafin begins a defensive rebuild IMO. With Reilly, Heatherington and Madaisky looking for spots within the next 2-3 year's players are going to have to get moved (eventually) to make room.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Mceichifin good title. This season is suck, focused on a draft. The first three just killing.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Just for reference here are the odds for the draft lottery:

1 20.0%
2 13.5%
3 11.5%
4 9.5%
5 8.5%
6 7.5%
7 6.5%
8 6.0%
9 5.0%
10 3.5%
11 3.0%
12 2.5%
13 2.0%
14 1.0%

Not sure I like the thought of a team at 14 getting McDavid but it is what it is.
If we finish 30th in the league we have a 20% chance of McDavid and 80% chance of Eichel.

If we finish 29th in the league we have a 13.5% chance of McDavid, 20% chance of Eichel, and a 66.5% chance of Hanifin.

If we finish 28th in the league we have a 11.5% of McDavid, 33.5% of Hanifin, and a 55% chance of Dylan Strome/whoever else is the #4 guy.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
If we finish 30th in the league we have a 20% chance of McDavid and 80% chance of Eichel.

If we finish 29th in the league we have a 13.5% chance of McDavid, 20% chance of Eichel, and a 66.5% chance of Hanifin.

If we finish 28th in the league we have a 11.5% of McDavid, 33.5% of Hanifin, and a 55% chance of Dylan Strome/whoever else is the #4 guy.

Oliver Kylington is pretty good :nod:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Woah woah. The lottery isn't just for the top pick anymore? I knew they changed the odds but I didn't think they changed any other pick than 1st overall..

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Woah woah. The lottery isn't just for the top pick anymore? I knew they changed the odds but I didn't think they changed any other pick than 1st overall..

The lottery is for the top pick. But if you're sitting #2, and #14 gets the pick, 1-13 slides back a pick.

The lottery used to be that, if you won the lottery, you could only move up a spot, and it used to only be available to the worst 5-8 teams in the league. Don't remember the exact numbers. They changed it so that it's open to every team that didn't make the play offs, and if you win, you get the first overall.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The lottery is for the top pick. But if you're sitting #2, and #14 gets the pick, 1-13 slides back a pick.

The lottery used to be that, if you won the lottery, you could only move up a spot, and it used to only be available to the worst 5-8 teams in the league. Don't remember the exact numbers. They changed it so that it's open to every team that didn't make the play offs, and if you win, you get the first overall.

Prior to 2013 the lottery winner could only move up 4 spots which effectively meant that if you finished 6th or below you had no chance at the top pick. In 2013 they changed it to whoever won got the 1st pick and then this year they changed the odds to make finishing dead last less of a chance to win.

I'm going to be annoyed if a team like San Jose or any other pretty decent team has a bad year and just misses the playoffs and wins the lottery.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
At the very least the way things are going if the Jackets get a top 2 pick it will be because of these ridiculous injuries instead of tanking.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
I think they should be less focused on deciding between McDavid/Eichel and should look at the bigger picture and should try to get more draft picks in the top 50. The future is bright why not make it brighter, one big pick can't play 60 min of ice a game. It would be great if they could get three first round picks for this year, but that seems almost impossible to do this year considering there isn't anyone that would draw interest that the organization would be okay with trading.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think they should be less focused on deciding between McDavid/Eichel and should look at the bigger picture and should try to get more draft picks in the top 50. The future is bright why not make it brighter, one big pick can't play 60 min of ice a game. It would be great if they could get three first round picks for this year, but that seems almost impossible to do this year considering there isn't anyone that would draw interest that the organization would be okay with trading.

I highly doubt they anyone in the management process is thinking about them yet, there is A LOT of hockey left to be played. And we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, how many do you want?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I assume Mcdavid and Eichel would step right into the NHL. What about Hanifin? Is/will he be NHL ready? Would he step right in to the Blue Jackets lineup or would they ease him in? Are the players that are currently ranked 4,5,etc NHL ready?

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I assume Mcdavid and Eichel would step right into the NHL. What about Hanifin? Is/will he be NHL ready? Would he step right in to the Blue Jackets lineup or would ease him in? Are the players that are currently ranked 4,5,etc NHL ready?

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind if he played with Heatherington to in the AHL until he was definitely ready. Don't forget if we get Reilly signed this off-season he'll be pushing for a spot in the NHL immediately.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I assume Mcdavid and Eichel would step right into the NHL. What about Hanifin? Is/will he be NHL ready? Would he step right in to the Blue Jackets lineup or would they ease him in? Are the players that are currently ranked 4,5,etc NHL ready?
Hanifin doesn't turn 18 til late July but he's already 6'2" and 205 lbs. Definitely has NHL size. Right now he has 7 points in 14 games with BU. Nothing spectacular but I don't watch much of him. We'll know more about him as the season progresses and as we see him at the WJC.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I really hope at this point you guys stay down and injured this year and get McDavid or at least Eichel. You honestly deserve it at this point. I mean that in a good way.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
lottery is for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks starting in 2016, but this year it's just 1at overall (but all 14 teams can win it)

Is there still a limit for how far a team can move backwards? I think in the past it's been 2 or 3 spots.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is there still a limit for how far a team can move backwards? I think in the past it's been 2 or 3 spots.
So far as I know there's no hard limit per se; it's always been determined by how many possible lottery "winners" there are. As a result, with the obvious exception of 2005, throughout our existence the limit's always only ever been one spot. This ostensibly makes it a rare occurrence, except for the part where we've been so "jumped" and thus moved down in about half the draft lotteries we've been in without ever winning even once. :)

And yet you still get folks around here who advocate tanking, like the abused spouse who's convinced (s)he only gets beatings because (his/her) spouse is trying to make (him/her) do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad