2015 NHL Draft Thread II (6/26-6/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If Hanifin turns out to be the quality of Duncan Keith then it isn't overpayment, especially if we swap Anaheims 2nd with Carolina's.

This organization's biggest need is a top 2 D man. If we wait for one to fall into our lap we could have a long wait. If we can move a guy we don't apparently need for the next 4 years or so to get a real good shot at one I'm all for it.

If that deal doesn't work I'd be pushing for a NJ deal to snag Provorov.

Either way we get a legitimate top 2 D prospect at minimal cost.

And for those who think BPA, organizational needs be darned, look at how well that has played out for Edmonton.

And what if Provorov or Werenski do? That is fine you want to overpay. You clearly think the difference between him and the other players in the top 8 or so (not counting the top 2) is bigger than I do. I am not trading anything of significance to move up 3 spots in this draft.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Coyotes fans seem to like a Rychel-8th overall for 3rd overall deal. We may have to throw in one of our 2nds. I would do it.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
‏@Aportzline May 29

If #Leafs had declined Clarkson-for-Horton trade, #CBJ had #LAKings next on the list to dial. Target: Mike Richards.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
‏@Aportzline May 29

If #Leafs had declined Clarkson-for-Horton trade, #CBJ had #LAKings next on the list to dial. Target: Mike Richards.

So it was slightly off, but the pieces were the same. And he scooped Portzline by 3 months.

How is this guy any different than Eklund?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I dont hold much value to the tweetverse rumors, but the thought of moving up to 3rd for just 8th and Rychel is really appealing.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I dont hold much value to the tweetverse rumors, but the thought of moving up to 3rd for just 8th and Rychel is really appealing.

The rumor itself is probably just mindless online tweeter speculation... But it makes enough sense why we would want to trade up for Hanifin.

I'm on the fence about it. On one hand, Castron pretty plainly said that Hanifin is part of a the big top 3 in this draft. On the other hand, that could all just be a complete lie. Who knows if it is just posturing or what. Rychel is a big chip though. I'm not completely sold that the difference between Provorov and Hanifin is worth giving up a recent mid-round 1st who is developing well. That's a really steep price unless you are really sure about the player.

Hanifin is a great fit though. Gives us another long term two-way top 4 anchor along with Murray, Hanifin being a little more offensively inclined than Murray. It just really depends what we would have to give up to move up 5 spots.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Yep, I had no clue who that guy was so I did some quick searching and couldn't find anything. Probably just someone without any connections throwing these on twitter seeking attention. Trading up to get Hanifin is intriguing but the price is gonna be high so he really needs to stand out from the top 3 D in the draft.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/30/maple-leafs-have-tough-decision-for-june-draft

"It is sounding more and more as though Dylan Strome will not be available when the Maple Leafs pick fourth in next month’s NHL draft.

Numerous scouting sources are convinced the Arizona Coyotes, picking third, will select the large centreman from Erie, leaving the Leafs in somewhat of a quandary."

So if Hanifin were to drop to #4, what would we be looking to trade to Toronto for the 4th OA pick?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
And what if Provorov or Werenski do? That is fine you want to overpay. You clearly think the difference between him and the other players in the top 8 or so (not counting the top 2) is bigger than I do. I am not trading anything of significance to move up 3 spots in this draft.

You missed a key part of what I said which was "IF the Jackets consider Hanifin to be the best of the big 3" then I would have no problem making the trade. I would just be putting my faith in the GM to draft the BPA. And if he saw fit to make the trade then, well it has to be the right thing to do.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You missed a key part of what I said which was "IF the Jackets consider Hanifin to be the best of the big 3" then I would have no problem making the trade. I would just be putting my faith in the GM to draft the BPA. And if he saw fit to make the trade then, well it has to be the right thing to do.

I understand, but I didn't miss that. I am saying, IMO, that I would not overpay to get any player in this draft after the top 2. I trust our GM, which is why I also think he wouldn't make that kind of trade either. Maybe he would, but I doubt it. If he does, that tells me they really want to trade Rychel.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/30/maple-leafs-have-tough-decision-for-june-draft

"It is sounding more and more as though Dylan Strome will not be available when the Maple Leafs pick fourth in next month’s NHL draft.

Numerous scouting sources are convinced the Arizona Coyotes, picking third, will select the large centreman from Erie, leaving the Leafs in somewhat of a quandary."

So if Hanifin were to drop to #4, what would we be looking to trade to Toronto for the 4th OA pick?

Probably the same Rychel package. I know they like him.

If they want Marner I could see them getting him at 8 in this scenario. Carolina doesn't like Marner. I could see them going with Crouse or Barzal. NJ loves Rantanen. Philly likely picks Provorov. Then the Leafs pick Marner at 8.

We won't get Hanifin or Provorov if we stay at 8. And as I posted previously I don't think Jarmo likes Werenski at all. If we want a top D this year our only option is to move up, which is why these rumors will start to ramp up this month.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Probably the same Rychel package. I know they like him.

If they want Marner I could see them getting him at 8 in this scenario. Carolina doesn't like Marner. I could see them going with Crouse or Barzal. NJ loves Rantanen. Philly likely picks Provorov. Then the Leafs pick Marner at 8.

We won't get Hanifin or Provorov if we stay at 8. And as I posted previously I don't think Jarmo likes Werenski at all. If we want a top D this year our only option is to move up, which is why these rumors will start to ramp up this month.

Plausible, but too many moving parts. If you attach a 30% chance of being wrong with each of those steps, then you're almost certainly wrong on the whole.

I'm particularly skeptical that Marner makes it past Jersey.

I could see the Leafs dropping to 8, but only if they're fine with a couple options, given all the uncertainty of who will still be available. If they think Barzal, Provorov, and Marner are close, then they'll trade from 4 to 8 and take whoever they can along with Rychel.

I'm also sure there's uncertainty about whether one of Hanifin and Provorov are available at 8. There's always a chance the one scouts want the most will be available at 8, although I'd give up a lot to have the certainty of getting the one you want. Maybe even Rychel for that certainty.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
We have an abundance of forwards. If Rychel is what it costs to assure we get Hanifan, so be it.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'd definitely trade Rychel in order to guarantee Hanifin, especially if the team we trade him to is Arizona.

I don't think this will be enough, not because the value isn't there but because Arizona is in a terrific spot. Here's how I see it.

Obviously they're not getting McDavid or Eichel; the cost would be astronomical, and hell for a team going into a rebuild. So they're not moving up. And there's no pressure from the fan base against moving down (like there is for Buffalo).

So what they can do it pit the entire top-10 of the draft against each other. Every team is going to have their usual jumbled mess of their own draft board; inevitably someone has Hanifin #3 overall, someone has Marner #3, someone has Strome #3. But the only way to guarantee that someone gets their guy is to move up to #3 to make sure that Toronto and Carolina can't get them.

But hold on. Both Toronto and Carolina recognize that there's a strong chance that Arizona could take the guy that they really want. If Toronto has Hanifin as #3 but then has a big gap between him and Marner at #4, they need to make sure that they can get their guy. And if Carolina covets Marner but knows he won't get past Toronto (who will take him if he's there), their only chance is to jump Toronto and get to #3. Now you've got yourself a bidding war, and that's not even taking the #6-10 teams into account at all.

Arizona may be able to drop back to #4 and collect a pretty solid asset or two in the process, then fall back again to #5 and pick up more. And they could still get their guy. Toronto has Nashville's 1st-rounder (#24) and a handful of players who could be looking for a fresh start; Carolina has their 2nd (#35) and a handful of other guys in the same spot.

So the value of 8th + Rychel may be reasonable, but the possibility of Arizona being able to cash in one way or another would likely preclude it from being enough.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think this will be enough, not because the value isn't there but because Arizona is in a terrific spot. Here's how I see it.

So what they can do it pit the entire top-10 of the draft against each other.

Arizona may be able to drop back to #4 and collect a pretty solid asset or two in the process, then fall back again to #5 and pick up more. And they could still get their guy.

So the value of 8th + Rychel may be reasonable, but the possibility of Arizona being able to cash in one way or another would likely preclude it from being enough.

I think you make a good point but I think it could actually work for us.
Say Toronto beats us out for the 3 but they pick Strome-deal still possible. Say Carolina beats us out for 4 and takes Marner-deal still possible. This all gets really goofy but if I'm Arizona I 'd really think about it. I could wind up with a really good guy at 8, plus Rychel, plus whatever I could garner in the way of players and picks from Toronto & Carolina.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Does anyone know if Jarmo has ever traded up during the draft? He has said that you don't draft based on teams needs because it may take years for a young player to make an impact and at that time your team might look completely different. Trading up to get Hanifin seems like drafting for need and you'd have to pay a hefty price to get there. Seems like there will be many good players available at #8 and depending on how high those players are on teams list they might even trade down and milk other teams for more picks. I think quantity is good in a deep draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad