2015 NHL Draft Thread II (6/26-6/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I guess this is the part I just don't understand. I don't see him being that good, and if he was, why would anyone picking after two trade their pick?

With that logic, why are there ever trades?
Obviously, different teams have different needs and make different evaluations. AZ has OEL to build around, but a lack of talent throughout their system. We have talent everywhere but where we have a missing piece.

As for the trade in question, the scouts would have to be damn sure Hanifin is the missing piece. And id still want next year's first to be top 10 protected, just in case.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Stolen from the Philly draft thread to make me feel better about having Provorov available at 8.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-receive-7th-pick-2015-nhl-draft-ron-hextall-good-chance-take-forward

“At seven, there are a lot of forwards this year,†he said. “There’s a good chance we will take a forward … if there’s a defenseman on the board and a forward and we have them really close, we would probably lean towards the forward.

“But until the names fall really, you don’t really know. We’ll have our list and we’ll be prepared, and we’ll make a decision at that point. When you look at our prospects, we’re a little bit heavier on defense tha we are up front.â€

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll repeat what I said a few pages ago, I don't see any way the Flyers are picking a D at 7. The only way a D goes 7 is if the Flyers trade up and the team they trade up with takes him, or the Flyers trade back and a team behind us snipes one of them from us. Flyers have alot of D prospects. I think BOTH Provorov and Werenski will be there when we pick. Both.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
With that logic, why are there ever trades?
Obviously, different teams have different needs and make different evaluations. AZ has OEL to build around, but a lack of talent throughout their system. We have talent everywhere but where we have a missing piece.

As for the trade in question, the scouts would have to be damn sure Hanifin is the missing piece. And id still want next year's first to be top 10 protected, just in case.

I agree for most defensemen, but not if he is what some on here are making him out to be. You don't pass on talents like that.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Not sure but:

Most things I've read say if it weren't for McEichel he'd be the #1 prospect. Sounds pretty good to me. Of course I have also read that some scouts think more highly of Provorov or Werenski. The point is that most are pretty certain he will be a top pair guy for many years to come. That makes him a very valuable prospect in most people's mind.

The reason some teams may consider trading their pick, although most don't is maybe they have a top pair D in place and figure they can add a top C or F a couple spots down. Or they are so thin on their roster and in the system they just need more picks or bodies.

To me the real reason we should trade up if at all possible is we have no real top 2 guy in the system other than Murray and he has a history of being injured. We have an abundance of F's both signed and in the system. One less isn't going to set the franchise back 5 years. On the other hand getting a guy like one of the big 3, could set the franchise up for the next 10 years starting anywhere from September to a couple years down the road. It is a risk reward thing. Pass on all 3 of these guys and add another F is just not smart,imo. If we wind up drafting non-lottery for the next few years, the odds of getting that top guy diminish. In my opinion we should do what needs to be done to get one this draft.

If we rank Werenski as the equal of Hanifin and Provorov then a trade is less necessary and probably should be avoided. If we think there is a significant gap between him and the other 2 we should try to do whatever it takes to get one of those guys.

Good post. The last part is where I am though. I just don't see a big enough difference in the 3 to give up valuable assets to get one over the other 2. If 2 of them were gone and we weren't going to get the third without trading up, then I am for it. I don't think that will be the case though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So I see "slpshot", involuntarily mentally translate that to "slip shot", and promptly think of this Nikitin attempt:

EDIT: With regards to the actual article... I have to agree with CBJW's commentary on Voynov, above (I think he's done). Also, Roslovic's listed as a C/RW (I understand he's played both of those positions for the USNTDP), so that arguably makes him even more likely. :)

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'll repeat what I said a few pages ago, I don't see any way the Flyers are picking a D at 7. The only way a D goes 7 is if the Flyers trade up and the team they trade up with takes him, or the Flyers trade back and a team behind us snipes one of them from us. Flyers have alot of D prospects. I think BOTH Provorov and Werenski will be there when we pick. Both.

I don't have any fear that Philly is going to take a defenseman at #7. My fear would be that someone moves into that spot to take a defenseman, dropping Philly back only a couple of spots in the process....they'll get their forward, and someone else gets a defenseman.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
So I see "slpshot", involuntarily mentally translate that to "slip shot", and promptly think of this Nikitin attempt:

EDIT: With regards to the actual article... I have to agree with CBJW's commentary on Voynov, above (I think he's done). Also, Roslovic's listed as a C/RW (I understand he's played both of those positions for the USNTDP), so that arguably makes him even more likely. :)

Top 5 Goal in CBJ History

1. Nash vs. Phoenix
2. Calvert v. Pitt
3. Foligno v. Pitt
4. TheClusterPuck

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't have any fear that Philly is going to take a defenseman at #7. My fear would be that someone moves into that spot to take a defenseman, dropping Philly back only a couple of spots in the process....they'll get their forward, and someone else gets a defenseman.

Yeah. That's the only way Provorov or Werenski go. Hell, worst case scenario is Carolina, Jersey, AND Philly all trade back with Provorov, Werenski, and Rantanen going to those three teams. That would be a disaster. So would Jersey and Philly dealing back and the two new teams picking the dmen. But I think both are longshots.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yeah. That's the only way Provorov or Werenski go. Hell, worst case scenario is Carolina, Jersey, AND Philly all trade back with Provorov, Werenski, and Rantanen going to those three teams. That would be a disaster. So would Jersey and Philly dealing back and the two new teams picking the dmen. But I think both are longshots.

If we assume that scenario as well as Hanifin being off the board, that would leave one of Marner or Strome on the board at #8. (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, and one of Marner or Strome are gone in your scenario; that's seven players).

That would be one hell of a good position to be in. I don't think it'll happen. If it did, there'd be about 10 seconds to handle a desperation trade offer from someone, followed by a mad sprint either to Central Registry or up to the podium.

As far as the worst-case scenario of all three defensemen being off the board at #8, it would still leave a choice between (most likely) Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, Zacha, or possibly Meier. And even if that happens, I'd expect trade offers from teams right below who may have one of those guys in their top-4 and everyone else outside their top-10.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
That was a great, uplifting article about the future of the CBJ.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If we assume that scenario as well as Hanifin being off the board, that would leave one of Marner or Strome on the board at #8. (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, and one of Marner or Strome are gone in your scenario; that's seven players).

That would be one hell of a good position to be in. I don't think it'll happen. If it did, there'd be about 10 seconds to handle a desperation trade offer from someone, followed by a mad sprint either to Central Registry or up to the podium.

As far as the worst-case scenario of all three defensemen being off the board at #8, it would still leave a choice between (most likely) Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, Zacha, or possibly Meier. And even if that happens, I'd expect trade offers from teams right below who may have one of those guys in their top-4 and everyone else outside their top-10.

Exactly. That is a big reason why I don't want us to trade up. We are in such a good position.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Exactly. That is a big reason why I don't want us to trade up. We are in such a good position.

I would say that is the reason I want us to trade up. We are in such a good position that others who want a forward will be willing to trade with us. :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good article.
Voynov would definitely be a fit hockeywise, if he gets cleared legally.

A couple quibbles: I think Heatherington ahead of Dano is going to need some kind of explanation. I'd actually put Dano ahead of all of the other prospects. That and we don't have a lot of listed RW's, but we have no shortage of players (like Foligno) who have plenty of RW experience. It's not a real concern.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Will always remember this one - at 2:20 of the vid.

That reminds me far too much of the "dump and change" goal Kimmo Timonen (NSH days) scored on Marc Denis so many years ago. That might have been one of the WORST goals against in franchise history!

As for the draft, I'm very much in favor of trying to get #3 from Arizona, although I think #8, Rychel, and 2016 1st is a little steep (especially because I don't think Arizona would be interested in Rychel. They have an overabundance of LW prospects already). Granted, if there's a huge betting war, I could see Zona being able to command such a war chest.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
That reminds me far too much of the "dump and change" goal Kimmo Timonen (NSH days) scored on Marc Denis so many years ago. That might have been one of the WORST goals against in franchise history!

Milan Jurcina scored one goal as a Jacket, which was when he went to dump the puck in along the glass; it went most of the way around the corner, hit a metal support, angled back out toward the slot, hit Patrick Lalime's skate, and went in.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don't like giving up next year's first plus #8 and Rychel for Hanafin, but I admit I'm not following these kids closely.

Jarmo's track record with the draft, CBJ and before, is pretty good. I'm really curious about what their list order looks like, and am looking forward to getting a glimpse of it at the draft. There are going to be some good players available at #8 so I'm more interested in the reveal of which one Jarmo and co. ranked the highest more so than having a personal pet favorite among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad