Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Honestly I don't even believe Gauthier should be top 10, we have a lot of better guys in the system and he's barely progressed since his draft year.

He has progressed substantially in all areas ... except points ... and he was playing with wingers who will be hard pressed to make a pro career.

Voting Gauthier here again, although there are a bunch of players who are worth the vote between 5 and 10. Johnson etc.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Gonna go with Johnson over Bracco because he's been playing in a mens league

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Killing penalties, winning face-offs and playing defense are optional in Leafland. The fact Gauthier does it BETTER than any forward prospect we have should count for something.

Sometimes you need someone to SHUT DOWN the oppositions top line and not get scored on. When is the last time the Leafs had a line capable of that? Remember Berg, Bezel and Osborne? That's about the last time the Leafs were good. None of those guys were sexy but they played a role.

Look at Chicago. Marcus Kruger says hi. It's really too bad many of you guys don't get this.

Most Leaf fans I know aren't particularly knowledgeable about the game of hockey. You summed up my thoughts on Leafs nation pretty well in your post.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Gauthier; he deserves to be top 5. Johnson, Leipsic, Leivo, Harrington and a tough last choice round out my top 10. Leivo may have not had the best offensive regular season, but he's still an excellent top 6 prospect that has been shrouded by an influx of other top 6 talent recently.

Why? He's projected to be our 3 line centre. Not exactly our 5th best. I'd put Johnson bracco dermott and others ahead of him.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Had about 4 guys I would say are close at this point. I chose Scott Harrington. Why? Well, actually being able to play defense in your own end is the most under-rated skill in Leafland. Fans think all this flash and dash is more important.

Look at L.A. They have a ton of guys that could play D and do little else. Look at the last time the Leafs were good. Guys like Sylvain Lefebvre, Jamie Macoun, etc. were stalwarts on the backend. Leafs haven't made a dent on 10 years because they have ZERO Dmen that can play half decent in their own end.

Yeah, I get it, smurfs scoring goals is sexy. Still, it won't win you **** if you can't keep the puck out of your net.

Harrington is criminally underrated around here. I think it has to be leftover Kessel trade masochism.

A guy with at least equal accomplishments and ceiling compared with Percy and he gets no love.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Killing penalties, winning face-offs and playing defense are optional in Leafland. The fact Gauthier does it BETTER than any forward prospect we have should count for something.

Sometimes you need someone to SHUT DOWN the oppositions top line and not get scored on. When is the last time the Leafs had a line capable of that? Remember Berg, Zezel and Osborne? That's about the last time the Leafs were good. None of those guys were sexy but they played a role.

Look at Chicago. Marcus Kruger says hi. It's really too bad many of you guys don't get this.

He has progressed substantially in all areas ... except points ... and he was playing with wingers who will be hard pressed to make a pro career.

Voting Gauthier here again, although there are a bunch of players who are worth the vote between 5 and 10. Johnson etc.

Man.. People who like defensive prospects are a little.. well, defensive. :laugh:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Harrington is criminally underrated around here. I think it has to be leftover Kessel trade masochism.

A guy with at least equal accomplishments and ceiling compared with Percy and he gets no love.

Harrington will be better than Percy. Doubt Percy becomes much more than a #5 defender and I can see Harrington being a solid 2nd pairing defender who is defensively soild in the mould of a Karl Alzner type.

My top 5 would be:

1. Nylander
2. Marner
3. Kapanen
4. Gauthier
5. Harrington

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Very much so. It's proof enough that many people are voting based on who they've watched rather than actual value. While others are probably down voting him because they hated the return from the Kessel trade. Sadly really, he'll be good for us.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Why? He's projected to be our 3 line centre. Not exactly our 5th best. I'd put Johnson bracco dermott and others ahead of him.

Except none of those guys are close to being a guarantee to even make the NHL. Besides, just because he plays 3rd line, doesn't mean he's not important. Maybe he was taken early, but he's the type of guy that could challenge for the Selke every single year. He's the type of guy that could shut down top level talent... And honestly, that's probably far more valuable than 50, maybe 60, point undersized wingers and another offensive LHD that pretty much played as well as Finn did in his draft season.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Harrington will be better than Percy. Doubt Percy becomes much more than a #5 defender and I can see Harrington being a solid 2nd pairing defender who is defensively soild in the mould of a Karl Alzner type.

My top 5 would be:

1. Nylander
2. Marner
3. Kapanen
4. Gauthier
5. Harrington

What's your reasoning for this ?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The Goat, another important cog of the wheel, just not as popular to those that don't see the defensive game. He could be with the Leafs this coming year, but a year with the Marlies works too. He will be a Babcock favourite.

I could hear Babcock already, "this guy gets it, he just gets it".

buttman*

My top 5 would be:

1. Nylander
2. Marner
3. Kapanen
4. Gauthier
5. Harrington

I think this is a good list. I would still slot Percy in at 4-5. You also can't deny Brown's accomplishments. Leading the Marlies in scoring as a rookie and the entire OHL the year before says the kid can play.

The reason I slot Percy ahead of Gauthier and Harrington is based on his short stint iin the NHL last year. There were a few games where he was the best player on the ice. He's close to ready and a guy that can move the puck like that will be a huge asset.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Leipsic gets my vote. Feel like people are forgetting about this guy a bit.

1) 54 points in 74 games in the AHL as a 20-year-old (good enough for Marlies' 2nd leading scorer and 28th overall)--pretty impressive

2) Was one of Nashville's top prospects (#6?) at the time of the Franson deal

3) One of the first of Shanagement's undersized acquisitions whose game revolves around smarts, determination, and skill

Like this guy.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Leipsic gets my vote. Feel like people are forgetting about this guy a bit.

1) 55 points in 74 games in the AHL as a 20-year-old (good enough for Marlies' 2nd leading scorer)--pretty impressive

2) Was one of Nashville's top prospects (#6?) at the time of the Franson deal

3) One of the first of Shanagement's undersized acquisitions whose game revolves around smarts, determination, and skill

Like this guy.

This may be true, but I think a big part of is that we actually have a number of good prospects now, so it drops Leipsic a bit. I have him at #10.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Johnson, it was a tough choice.
However, I do think too many people like shiny new things (Bracco). Over prospects that have done nothing but impress since being drafted.

Agreed. Johnson is in a much better position than Bracco is right now.

buttman*

He's had concussion issues as well he's one of those players who is a jack of all trades and a master of none. Percy doesn't have a single standout skill in his arsenal and that hurts his projection as a pro imo.

His ability to see the ice and pass the puck are his standout skills. I think they are good enough to be obvious to most that watch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad