OT: 2015 Football Thread II: Jets cut bust Coples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The defense is a bit of a paper tiger this year and the OL is just about shot. It's going to take a decent overhaul.

A lot of that is down to injuries and suspensions. 5-5 with Ryan Fitzpatrick could be 7-3, 8-2 with someone like Eli. Thats just my opinion, of course. You seem to disagree.

Also, Jets waived mega-bust Quinton Coples.

Called him being a bust way back in the day.

He's not really an OLB. We should've taken an actual OLB at that pick. Instead, square peg in a round hole.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Coples got a raw deal. He should have always been a DE. He isn't an OLB.

He's far from a bust. Now, I'm not saying he'll go a team and suddenly become all-pro, but I do expect that he'll regain his form and put up around 6-8 sacks on a daily basis at least.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I hate to sound like a broken record but you Jets fans are a funny bunch every year you get out to a 3-1 or 4-1 start and then the talk comes on how you are a just a good QB away from being a SB contender but I dont think you guys know what a SB contender looks like because you for sure are more than a QB away

So before this year, it was you with the Mets every year? ;):laugh:

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Not even close the only thing we Mets fans hung our hat on was great young starting pitching not once a true Mets fan called the World Series in the last 10 years unlike the Jets fan base who does it every year and totally over rates the talent on the team. I can't wait for OBJ to put up 150 an 3 TD's vs that vaunted secondary

So before this year, it was you with the Mets every year? ;):laugh:

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Yeah, that 2012 NFL Draft didn't turn out too good for the Jets:

1st round: Quinton Coples (passed up on Chandler Jones and Harrison Smith)

2nd round: Stephen Hill (passed up on Alshon Jeffery, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, and TY Hilton)

Hind sight is of course 20/20 and it's easy for me to sit here and look at who they passed up on three years later, but man, those first two rounds were rough.

With Coples and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was he the guy that analysts were projecting to go in the top 10, and then he fell and the Jets scooped him up? Wasn't he originally viewed as a high risk/high reward pick? I can't remember if I'm thinking of Coples here or if it was some other player. Might be totally off base here though.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Most Jets fans hated the Coples pick because he was better suited for a 4-3 defense. Rex tried putting him as LB and whatever else, it didn't work out.

Same with Stephen Hill, another pick Jets fans hated because the guy had practically zero experience as a receiver. Guy had hands of stone and people knew this. The Jets were interested in a receiver who could block because they were a run first team. It was just silly.

For some reason, the Jets love to take the high risk, high reward type guys, but they all end up being busts for the Jets... because SOJ.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Not even close the only thing we Mets fans hung our hat on was great young starting pitching not once a true Mets fan called the World Series in the last 10 years unlike the Jets fan base who does it every year and totally over rates the talent on the team. I can't wait for OBJ to put up 150 an 3 TD's vs that vaunted secondary

Mets and Jets fans are similar, everyone predicts their team to go on a huge run after a great start, I thought the Jets would be terrible this year, and they still are.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Gholston, Wilson, Coples, Hill, Geno...Thank goodness they revamped the scouting department. Not many teams can match their draft record in recent years...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The defense is a bit of a paper tiger this year and the OL is just about shot. It's going to take a decent overhaul.

I'm really starting to lean towards the D issues being Bowles fault more than roster issues. That said they do have legitimate holes at the 2nd CB spot, OLB and Davis should never cover anyone again as long as he's in the NFL.
Offensively the guys they have behind Decker and Marshall are useless, Smith is having one of the worst rookie years i've seen out of a WR in awhile, G has been a problem for half a decade and C/T are old.

I liked Coples. I blame the organization for the OLB crap they pulled with him.

Williams has definitely not been the player many projected. (Should have been picked 1st bc he's that good). He hasn't been bad or anything he just clearly isn't worthy of "best in the draft" hype he got from many. I'm not upset by the pick by any means though.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Gholston, Wilson, Coples, Hill, Geno...Thank goodness they revamped the scouting department. Not many teams can match their draft record in recent years...

The Raiders say Hi!
But the Jets recent history is butt ugly.
I called Gholston a bust months before he was drafted.
Was floored when the Jets called his name.
They could have thrown a dart at any OL and looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad