2015 Draft - 2nd pick: Caleb Jones

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Me either. Surprised tho to hear someone say Simpson was not a good skater. Honestly thought that was a positive to his game.

Jones career to date is way too far off what Sekera's was to say that's a realistic upside. Just too far apart imo. More like wishful thinking right now.

I don't really agree he needs to have an outstanding year to eventually become a nhler. However for him to eventually become a top 3 player like Sekera he would, imo, have to plays lights out amazing.

I think the main difference between our positions is it just don't see that upside period but i think he could be a very valuable 567 down the road.

Simpson would be his bad comparison. Davidson would be his good comparible. Who is am a huge fan of.
Jones isn't really tracking all that different than Sekera from a stats perspective though. If you're looking purely at production Jones had a better draft+1, Sekera a better draft +2, and their draft+3's in the AHL were fairly similar. Sekera never showed a ton of offensive upside either especially in the goalscoring department at the pro level so I can understand the comparison as I don't see Jones as a huge goal scoring D.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect Jones to becomes what Sekera was here in years 1 and 2, but I can see some of the similarities. Generally a good puck mover with not amazing top speed, but good skating otherwise. Limited offensive ability, especially goal scoring. Sounds a lot like Sekera. Jones will need to improve his defensive game a lot to get to that level. Its hard to truly compare their skating at the same age though as I didn't follow Sekera when he was a prospect.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Slow is a reach, but he's certainly a below average skater.
That's probably fair. I haven't seen much of him since the World Juniors, but his skating there looked mobile at the junior level. His strides definitely a little choppy though, and may give the appearance of slow, but he seemed to get around fine at that level. The AHL will be the real test for him this year.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Just laughed at the suggestion that Lagesson has sped past Jones. Give them a year and it’ll be very different.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I wonder if the poster comparing Simpson to Jones actually watches the two play. They're not comparable even in the slightest. Two different styles, two different skill sets. As far as Jones becoming a NHLer, no one knows for sure. But, if you paid attention to the direction the league has taken last couple of years, and watched him play then it would be a justified assumption to figure he could become one.

Jones isn't really tracking all that different than Sekera from a stats perspective though. If you're looking purely at production Jones had a better draft+1, Sekera a better draft +2, and their draft+3's in the AHL were fairly similar. Sekera never showed a ton of offensive upside either especially in the goalscoring department at the pro level so I can understand the comparison as I don't see Jones as a huge goal scoring D.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect Jones to becomes what Sekera was here in years 1 and 2, but I can see some of the similarities. Generally a good puck mover with not amazing top speed, but good skating otherwise. Limited offensive ability, especially goal scoring. Sounds a lot like Sekera. Jones will need to improve his defensive game a lot to get to that level. Its hard to truly compare their skating at the same age though as I didn't follow Sekera when he was a prospect.

Agree with everything except here. Although I don't think I would classify him having elite speed, I will say Jones is really fast. I still remember him racing Barzal stride for stride, the full length of the ice in world juniors. And, this is after Jones had been caught up ice after a full shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad