2015 Draft - 2nd pick: Caleb Jones

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
True, but his mother could be 4'7".

I really wonder about Seth's comment and if he feels there's any truth in it. Are there any scientific methods of measure that show he's still got significant room to grow?

Just being a good brother and pumping Caleb's tires. He's doing what any brother would do.

Just like P.K Subban knowing Jordan would be short and small and needing to embellish his abilities.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I like this pick. I think Caleb really came on in the latter part of the year and in the U18's he really showed what he can do. I also love the fact that he's headed to Portland, best place for him to develop IMO. He'll get to play big minutes in all situations which is just what he needs to develop into a good d-man. Much better that than going to college. I think he'll end up one of the better picks from the 4th round and beyond.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
I like this pick. I think Caleb really came on in the latter part of the year and in the U18's he really showed what he can do. I also love the fact that he's headed to Portland, best place for him to develop IMO. He'll get to play big minutes in all situations which is just what he needs to develop into a good d-man. Much better that than going to college. I think he'll end up one of the better picks from the 4th round and beyond.

You know that he is going to train hard, live a good lifestyle, and a great support group. I really like the Jones, Bear and Paigin picks. Solid picks for where we got them.

Jun 9, 2011
Not sure how much taller Caleb will get, but he is taller than his oldest brother. There is a pic on Popeye's twitter with the three boys on fathers day, and Caleb doesn't look really small. Could be the camera angle.

@PopeyeJones54 is his dad's twitter and it's the second photo.

hemskysuncle

Nov 2, 2007
Not sure how much taller Caleb will get, but he is taller than his oldest brother. There is a pic on Popeye's twitter with the three boys on fathers day, and Caleb doesn't look really small. Could be the camera angle.

@PopeyeJones54 is his dad's twitter and it's the second photo.
If Justin Jones is the small one, and he is at 5'11", then he is definitely over 6 feet already...

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
If Justin Jones is the small one, and he is at 5'11", then he is definitely over 6 feet already...

He was listed at 5'11 and 3/4's at the NHL Combine. At 200 lbs, that's well within range for an NHL defenseman. PK Subban, for example, is 6'0, 218 lbs. I'm glad that he's going to a good development program.

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
Did anyone watch the post draft interview on oilers.nhl.com? Right after saying he was going to Portland next year, someone asks Caleb 'What has the Seattle Thunderbirds meant to your development?". The look of confusion and disbelief on his face is priceless.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Did anyone watch the post draft interview on oilers.nhl.com? Right after saying he was going to Portland next year, someone asks Caleb 'What has the Seattle Thunderbirds meant to your development?". The look of confusion and disbelief on his face is priceless.

Someone didn't do their research and probably assumed he was Ethan Bear. :laugh:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Ran into him walking down whyte ave with John Marino a month ago, he looked pretty big...over 6 feet if I had to guess.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Sorry for the thread bump, but thought I'd post here instead of the GDT. Caleb Jones and the Portland Winterhawks are in Medicine Hat tonight. I think I might consider skipping the Oilers game to go see him play in person (44 pts in 58 GP in his first season in the WHL).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
By the sounds of how things went with the Oilers tonight, I'm glad I decided to go watch Caleb Jones instead tonight. I thought he made some good plays at both ends of the ice. He is very poised/calm in his own zone and defensively reesponsible. His coach plays him on the PK and PP and he finished the night with a couple of assists.

He had his ice time reduced in the 3rd probably because Portland was hammering Medicine Hat 8-1 at the time. All in all, I was pretty impressed with him and his play...as for his height, I'd say he's between 6'1 and 6'2.

Oct 30, 2011
By the sounds of how things went with the Oilers tonight, I'm glad I decided to go watch Caleb Jones instead tonight. I thought he made some good plays at both ends of the ice. He is very poised/calm in his own zone and defensively reesponsible. His coach plays him on the PK and PP and he finished the night with a couple of assists.

He had his ice time reduced in the 3rd probably because Portland was hammering Medicine Hat 8-1 at the time. All in all, I was pretty impressed with him and his play...as for his height, I'd say he's between 6'1 and 6'2.

Thanks for the scouting report. Does he remind you of any current NHLer?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for the scouting report. Does he remind you of any current NHLer?

Man, that's a tough call who I'd compare him too. He didn't play an overly physical game, he threw maybe two or three hits and just used solid positioning to defend in his own zone...I forgot to say he's a pretty mobile skater too, so he's got some puck moving attributes to his game and is a decent passer. Sekera keeps popping in my head for some reason for a comparable.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Saw Portland and Caleb Jones tonight in Cowtown. Hitties smoked the Hawks.

Wearing his bros #3, it was a bit spooky as he has the same skating style and body albeit not as tall as Seth Jones. Played big minutes, primarily on the right side with tons of power play time but none short handed. Looks to have hard outlet pass and generally good vision in seeing the ice and distributing the puck. In a blowout game, he had a second assist and a late goal on a rocket slapper. Defensively looked somewhat soft in his own end. On a long power play where he stayed on too long, got caught up ice and Hitmen scored on an odd man rush. Overall a -3 tonight in a 6-2 Hitmen win.

Needs to put on weight. But a decent toolkit and value gamble for a mid range draft pick.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Saw Portland and Caleb Jones tonight in Cowtown. Hitties smoked the Hawks.

Wearing his bros #3, it was a bit spooky as he has the same skating style and body albeit not as tall as Seth Jones. Played big minutes, primarily on the right side with tons of power play time but none short handed. Looks to have hard outlet pass and generally good vision in seeing the ice and distributing the puck. In a blowout game, he had a second assist and a late goal on a rocket slapper. Defensively looked somewhat soft in his own end. On a long power play where he stayed on too long, got caught up ice and Hitmen scored on an odd man rush. Overall a -3 tonight in a 6-2 Hitmen win.

Needs to put on weight. But a decent toolkit and value gamble for a mid range draft pick.

Exactly how I felt in Edmonton last night. Skates like his bro (but he's smaller) and he plays big minutes but isn't overly great defensively. His defensive play could just use some fine tuning. Offensively, he isn't flashy nor does he have any dynamic qualities. He isn't necessarily bad at anything but also isn't great at anything either. He appears to see the ice well though and find teammates when they are open. He also has a pretty good slap shot. 5-1 loss and if iirc he was a -2, overall I was a little disappointed in him.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
According to Lavoie, the Oilers have signed Jones to his ELC.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Top 5 in even strength scoring for whl D as a rookie on a low scoring team. Really good year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->