2015 Draft - 2nd pick: Caleb Jones

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know he had a tough year, but I saw some things I like in that video. Makes good passes, has good feet and edges. There's a player there, he might take a while to come along. Nothing wrong with that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know he had a tough year, but I saw some things I like in that video. Makes good passes, has good feet and edges. There's a player there, he might take a while to come along. Nothing wrong with that.
Couldn't agree more. I'd look for an improvement in production from our AHL D prospects this year with the infusion of skill they're going to see at the forward position. If both Bear and Jones are in the AHL they should see a boost from the likes of Marody, Vesel, Benson, Hebig, and potentially Yamamoto on the team with Maksimov, McLeod, and Safin there next year.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I think his struggles have been overstated a bit. Most of his challenges came in the first half of the season, due to inexperience at the pro level. He himself admitted this much in saying that, he tried too much, to play like he did in juniors. He improved second half of the year and this sentiment was echoed by Gerry Fleming on several of his appearances on radio as well. I think he could still use some seasoning too however. Jones skill set embodies a lot of the relevant qualities required in a defenseman today and developing him properly should be a focus for this organization.

I got to admit though, as a fan of his game I was geeking out at the 5:30 mark of the highlight package. That ability to escape pressure with his skating ability, patience to find the right read and execute a tape to tape stretch pass was elite.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’ve got time for his prospect but if he doesn’t take a significant step this year I don’t think he has an NHL future.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
for sure, good stuff. Great awareness of his teammates and hockey IQ

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is a huge season for him. Sooner or later you'd have to think that the team would love a cheap LHD to replace Sekera or Russell.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is a huge season for him. Sooner or later you'd have to think that the team would love a cheap LHD to replace Sekera or Russell.

Lagesson is going to blow right past him and take that spot for the following year.

Just speculation of course but I just have not heard or seen enough from Jones to make think he will be an nhler.

Question. Is Jones another Simpson type? Does everything well but nothing great? Good comparible?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lagesson is going to blow right past him and take that spot for the following year.

Just speculation of course but I just have not heard or seen enough from Jones to make think he will be an nhler.

Question. Is Jones another Simpson type? Does everything well but nothing great? Good comparible?
Not really. He's an infinitely better skater than Simpson and a much better puck mover. Needs to continue to work on his defensive play and reads, and his offensive game could use some tweaking in the offensive zone (not convinced he has enough tools in the O-zone to be a great offensive D, but he certainly has the tools to be a good transition puck moving D). Jones is a one man breakout when he's on his game. Can make stretch passes, short outlets, or can carry it on his own.

I'd wait before writing him off. He just turned 21 last month, and by all accounts was much better in the 2nd half of last year (was -14 in his first 14 games).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

As McFlyingV said, he is a much better skater I still see him as having Sekera level upside if he works hard on his game.

Reactions: MisterD

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not really. He's an infinitely better skater than Simpson and a much better puck mover. Needs to continue to work on his defensive play and reads, and his offensive game could use some tweaking in the offensive zone (not convinced he has enough tools in the O-zone to be a great offensive D, but he certainly has the tools to be a good transition puck moving D). Jones is a one man breakout when he's on his game. Can make stretch passes, short outlets, or can carry it on his own.

I'd wait before writing him off. He just turned 21 last month, and by all accounts was much better in the 2nd half of last year (was -14 in his first 14 games).

As McFlyingV said, he is a much better skater I still see him as having Sekera level upside if he works hard on his game.

It's funny. Even after your responses I still feel the Simpson comparison is legit. Simpson was an above average skater/puck mover with limited offense and work to do on the defensive side. Did everything well overall but had no booming shot or sneaky wrister or was known as a great shut down guy...

I've never heard Jones had elite nhl level skating. Are you guys saying he does? Cause Simpson was a good skater from what I remember.

It's not hard to be better than Simpson was especially at this age/point in his career. So not really disputing that. And just in general it's way too early to write him off. However his history is a mixed bag and if you average it out I wouldn't say things point to being an nhler yet.

What I can certainly say is career wise he is significantly worse than Sekera was and is incredibly unlikely to ever have a career as good as Sekera. That's pretty far fetched and I'm not sure if that comes from overestimating Jones or underrating Sekera.

Sekera had a 25 goal year in junior. Had similar stats as Jones in his first ahl year barring the +40 in thier 5v5 goal differentials.

Sekera seems to have always had a better toolset combined with some serious determination/strength. Basically a Davidson type but even better. Sekera has been considered a #3 or better level defender for a long time now. That's a tough level to reach and maintain. Both Klefbom and Nurse have flirted with that level but are not yet there. If Nurse continues his linear progression he should get there soon. Who knows what will happen with Klef. A lot has to right for Jones to even really be mentioned with Sekera imo.

As bad as it is to make comparisons, cause they are rarely right, but I am looking for a comparison for Jones. His skill sets and career to date makes him like?

Reactions: MessierII

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Lagesson is going to be similar to Reinhart, doesn't do anything great, does alot of stuff good.

Jones has a much higher ceiling.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lagesson is going to be similar to Reinhart, doesn't do anything great, does alot of stuff good.

Jones has a much higher ceiling.

Jones certainly not have a higher ceiling than Reinhart did at the same age...

I see no similarities between Reinhart and Lagesson. Very strange comparison. Lagesson is a extremely hard working gritty player, a battler. Reinhart was a positional player sometimes physical most times not with effort and consistency issues.

Besides both generally being defensive defensman they have very few similarities.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jones certainly not have a higher ceiling than Reinhart did at the same age...

I see no similarities between Reinhart and Lagesson. Very strange comparison. Lagesson is a extremely hard working gritty player, a battler. Reinhart was a positional player sometimes physical most times not with effort and consistency issues.

Besides both generally being defensive defensman they have very few similarities.
Lagesson is slow with no offensive IQ or skills, good positionally, sounds exactly like Reinhart.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pretty sure Dumba is a much better skater than Bouchard

Lagesson is slow with no offensive IQ or skills, good positionally, sounds exactly like Reinhart.

Skates good for his size isn't exactly a resounding endorsement but a far cry from slow. He didn't look slow at all in the international tourney I watched him in.

His offense/puck moving is far better than his stats indicate. Both by my eye and reports. One of those guys that always seems to play on bad teams so hard to judge his true top end. Played in a top pairing role in the SEL supposedly.

Aggressive is a word I would use to describe him. Nothing like Reinhart.

Kinda sounds like you don't like defensive defensmen. Have you even seen him play?

Reactions: MikeFLB

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's funny. Even after your responses I still feel the Simpson comparison is legit. Simpson was an above average skater/puck mover with limited offense and work to do on the defensive side. Did everything well overall but had no booming shot or sneaky wrister or was known as a great shut down guy...

I've never heard Jones had elite nhl level skating. Are you guys saying he does? Cause Simpson was a good skater from what I remember.

It's not hard to be better than Simpson was especially at this age/point in his career. So not really disputing that. And just in general it's way too early to write him off. However his history is a mixed bag and if you average it out I wouldn't say things point to being an nhler yet.

What I can certainly say is career wise he is significantly worse than Sekera was and is incredibly unlikely to ever have a career as good as Sekera. That's pretty far fetched and I'm not sure if that comes from overestimating Jones or underrating Sekera.

Sekera had a 25 goal year in junior. Had similar stats as Jones in his first ahl year barring the +40 in thier 5v5 goal differentials.

Sekera seems to have always had a better toolset combined with some serious determination/strength. Basically a Davidson type but even better. Sekera has been considered a #3 or better level defender for a long time now. That's a tough level to reach and maintain. Both Klefbom and Nurse have flirted with that level but are not yet there. If Nurse continues his linear progression he should get there soon. Who knows what will happen with Klef. A lot has to right for Jones to even really be mentioned with Sekera imo.

As bad as it is to make comparisons, cause they are rarely right, but I am looking for a comparison for Jones. His skill sets and career to date makes him like?

Simpson was not a good skater, IMO his skating was one of his biggest weaknesses. I never said that Jones skating was elite but it's definitely not a weakness and tends to be a strength of his game.

Sekera IMO is his upside, whether he gets there is TBD. This is a huge year for Caleb, he knows what to expect and he needs to put his stamp on pro hockey. IMO he is definitely better than Simpson was, I was never very high on Simpson.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Simpson was not a good skater, IMO his skating was one of his biggest weaknesses. I never said that Jones skating was elite but it's definitely not a weakness and tends to be a strength of his game.

Sekera IMO is his upside, whether he gets there is TBD. This is a huge year for Caleb, he knows what to expect and he needs to put his stamp on pro hockey. IMO he is definitely better than Simpson was, I was never very high on Simpson.

Me either. Surprised tho to hear someone say Simpson was not a good skater. Honestly thought that was a positive to his game.

Jones career to date is way too far off what Sekera's was to say that's a realistic upside. Just too far apart imo. More like wishful thinking right now.

I don't really agree he needs to have an outstanding year to eventually become a nhler. However for him to eventually become a top 3 player like Sekera he would, imo, have to plays lights out amazing.

I think the main difference between our positions is it just don't see that upside period but i think he could be a very valuable 567 down the road.

Simpson would be his bad comparison. Davidson would be his good comparible. Who is am a huge fan of.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Skates good for his size isn't exactly a resounding endorsement but a far cry from slow. He didn't look slow at all in the international tourney I watched him in.

His offense/puck moving is far better than his stats indicate. Both by my eye and reports. One of those guys that always seems to play on bad teams so hard to judge his true top end. Played in a top pairing role in the SEL supposedly.

Aggressive is a word I would use to describe him. Nothing like Reinhart.

Kinda sounds like you don't like defensive defensmen. Have you even seen him play?
I love defensive defensemen, Larsson is my favorite D on the oilers.

I just think Jones is going to be a much better player than Lagesson

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I love defensive defensemen, Larsson is my favorite D on the oilers.

I just think Jones is going to be a much better player than Lagesson

I think I just need to see Jones play more. Don't watch ahl games anymore. Seen Lagesson good, that sticks in your mind.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think Lagesson's absolute ceiling is Larsson, but if i were to predict where he ends up I could see him ending up like a Keegan Lowe type.

Also, Simpson and Jones could not be more different. I don't know how that comparable makes any sense. Jones reminds me of Nick Leddy.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I disagree with your assessment on Simpson. He was never an above average skater or puck mover and was known for his defensive play in college. In fact at the NHL level I would say Simpson is a below average skater.

Jones doesn't have elite top end speed, but his edge work, acceleration and lateral mobility are what I would consider near elite or at least very good. I have no idea if Jones will make the NHL because he needs to clean up his reads and defensive game, but in terms of comparing him to Simpson I really don't see it at all. Jones has far more creativity in his game, and the skating + puck moving are night and day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->