2015 Development Camp

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't believe Malgin was invited
He wasn't at the draft either, so it's not like he skipped the camp on purpose.

Luce said in his post draft interview that Tallon is going to call him tomorrow (Sunday) and where he's going to play next season is still open, CHL was mentioned as an option or he's going to remain with his Swiss team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if matheson continues to impress throughout training camp and preseason i wouldnt be surprised if they give him a 9game tryout. maybe he ends up making the team. i wouldnt mind him getting a full ahl year in but if he earns it then why not, its not like he's rushed. he's not a small guy and has played 3 full years of D1 hockey. I'm curious to see what happens with him this season. a Matheson-Kulikov pairing could be nice. maybe they try that pairing out in preseason and see how it goes.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Matheson really is a bit of a wildcard for us. If he can make the transition to the NHL, and become a Soupy-lite for us, that will really help us out on the blueline. Having two offensively-gifted Dmen on the top two pairings would be huge.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I don't believe Malgin was invited
Since he's not NCAA, I guess the Cats would have had to pay his airfare. I could see them not doing that if the guy is going to stay in the Swiss league. I think the Cats have his rights for 4 yrs, so we'll see what happens. He may feel we have too many small guys already.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Really liking what I hear about Rocco.

If he comes into rookie camp and preseason playing like a Marty St. Louis Jr., then I won't feel as bad if we don't get a guy like Sharp or Oshie.

That being said, please get Sharp or Oshie lol

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Really liking what I hear about Rocco.

If he comes into rookie camp and preseason playing like a Marty St. Louis Jr., then I won't feel as bad if we don't get a guy like Sharp or Oshie.

That being said, please get Sharp or Oshie lol

To be fair, Rocco is always the best player at these camps. I remember last year he flat out embarrassed Ekblad on a few occasions. He's got to prove he can do it against the big boys.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Since he's not NCAA, I guess the Cats would have had to pay his airfare. I could see them not doing that if the guy is going to stay in the Swiss league. I think the Cats have his rights for 4 yrs, so we'll see what happens. He may feel we have too many small guys already.

If you really think a decision like that comes down to paying airfare ($1000 roundtrip tops) thats pretty laughable. I believe Tallon mentioned it was because he had already started preseason/training with his Swiss team. They also mentioned he is a guy that will need to spend some time maturing his game as well as physically maturing. He is also playing against men in his league (granted, lesser quality but still)

I like tthe pick, kind of a gamble but good upside for a 4h rounder

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If you really think a decision like that comes down to paying airfare ($1000 roundtrip tops) thats pretty laughable. I believe Tallon mentioned it was because he had already started preseason/training with his Swiss team. They also mentioned he is a guy that will need to spend some time maturing his game as well as physically maturing. He is also playing against men in his league (granted, lesser quality but still)

I like tthe pick, kind of a gamble but good upside for a 4h rounder
That's for coach. These guys demand 1st class with Champagne. You sir are no gentleman to try and make a mockery out of the real reason he is staying in Switzerland.

I like the pick too. You are now a gentleman again.

if matheson continues to impress throughout training camp and preseason i wouldnt be surprised if they give him a 9game tryout. maybe he ends up making the team. i wouldnt mind him getting a full ahl year in but if he earns it then why not, its not like he's rushed. he's not a small guy and has played 3 full years of D1 hockey. I'm curious to see what happens with him this season. a Matheson-Kulikov pairing could be nice. maybe they try that pairing out in preseason and see how it goes.
While that would be nice it wouldn't be a smart decision unless they move someone. Everyone raves about his shot, yet this is a guy who could barely score in the NCAA. He started out solid his first year but then just never got it going again. Hopefully he can find his scoring touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Question - I'm still getting my feet wet with how the Panthers do business, but I'm curious if its normal to have so few people at development camp.... Coming from the Coyotes they'd have 35 or 40 kids at camp over a five day period.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
Question - I'm still getting my feet wet with how the Panthers do business, but I'm curious if its normal to have so few people at development camp.... Coming from the Coyotes they'd have 35 or 40 kids at camp over a five day period.

We usually have more kids, we have 26 on the roster this year which is pretty small compared to recent years.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Thank u catsfan and Aaroneckblad for the detailed write ups.... awesome updates... I wish I lived there to attend myself but having u guys give updates is a nice help... keep it up

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

It is a bit small this year. I suspect though it is because D camp is so early this year and so close to the draft.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

Pretty sure his ELC kicks in this upcoming year regardless of where/how much he plays.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Pretty sure his ELC kicks in this upcoming year regardless of where/how much he plays.

I am fairly sure he needs to be signed first. But regardless that is where the 9 game threshold comes into play.

We could sign him allow him to play up to 9 games in the NHL this season and then return him to the OHL without losing a year on that contract, as soon as he is pro hockey eligible, based upon age (Once he could be assigned to the AHL instead). That is when he will start burning years off his contract.

We will have a chance to get a long look at camp, if he is not ready they may not even sign him until later or next year. Or they could sign him in the hopes he sticks while still having the option of sending him back to the OHL before 10 games have been played. Same situation took place with Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett last year I believe.

Only problem I see is if they assign him to the OHL he will be there for the rest of the year, we must decide if the best way to develop him is bottom six minutes in the NHL or playing 20 minutes a night in the OHL while developing scoring against kids he already physically dominates.

Training camp and preseason will be telling on what we end up doing in this case.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I am fairly sure he needs to be signed first. But regardless that is where the 9 game threshold comes into play.

We could sign him allow him to play up to 9 games in the NHL this season and then return him to the OHL without losing a year on that contract, as soon as he is pro hockey eligible, based upon age (Once he could be assigned to the AHL instead). That is when he will start burning years off his contract.

We will have a chance to get a long look at camp, if he is not ready they may not even sign him until later or next year. Or they could sign him in the hopes he sticks while still having the option of sending him back to the OHL before 10 games have been played. Same situation took place with Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett last year I believe.

Only problem I see is if they assign him to the OHL he will be there for the rest of the year, we must decide if the best way to develop him is bottom six minutes in the NHL or playing 20 minutes a night in the OHL while developing scoring against kids he already physically dominates.

Training camp and preseason will be telling on what we end up doing in this case.

Matheson is already signed to an ELC.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Matheson is already signed to an ELC.
He probably thought we were talking about Crouse when the discussion was about Matheson.

Wilkie is a friend of the family. Any insight into how he looked? Thanks
Read CatsFan write-up. I think he talks about him. Kid seems to have the talent but the book on him is he is off and on or inconsistent.

Anyway, he heads to N. Dakota with Boeser in the fall. Will be interesting to see how he does the next few years. Then if he does well we will have to hold our breath that he doesn't exercise the dreaded "loophole."

We usually have more kids, we have 26 on the roster this year which is pretty small compared to recent years.
I noticed that too, and I think it has to do with the fact our depth chart is filling in. Usually we get a few more unsigned young players. Brown didn't show up, so it could be he had other commitments.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Since I've watched him several times at BC, dating back to a couple years ago, I really feel like he has the upside of a Brian Campbell. And not just cause he's a ginger.

The kid skates like the wind, can move the puck exceptionally well, and has an offensive lean to him. He's not overly physical, but he's a thief in his own end, and uses his body effectively, just not in an overpowering manner.

I really think he's gonna be a GREAT player for a long time.

What has Tallon himself said about Matheson? I hear him mention his name in "his group of guys" but what does he like about him individually ? Is he a FOR SURE prospect untouchable this following season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad