2015 CIS Playoffs

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Just got done watching Guelph beat Toronto 3-1 to tie their series. D'Agostini returned to form stopping 41 of 42 shots.

Have to say that the video production done by Guelph is one the best I have seen in the CIS. Not many teams do instant replays.

I caught the last half of this game - Toronto looked good offensively and Guelph were fortunate D'Agostini played as well as he did. Ironically, the goal that Toronto did score was pretty soft. Should be a good game 3.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Good job calling the game. Looking forward to the rematch tonight.
-----
Just got done watching Guelph beat Toronto 3-1 to tie their series. D'Agostini returned to form stopping 41 of 42 shots.

Have to say that the video production done by Guelph is one the best I have seen in the CIS. Not many teams do instant replays.

Thanks!

IMO Ryerson can lay claim to the title of best broadcast - full outside shots of their arena, a pre-produced montage of both teams doing off-ice warmups/walking in, etc..

Still think U of T will have enough at home to see off the gryphons.

Carleton - UQTR up in Quebec in half an hour!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Windsor eliminates Lakehead with 6-3 win (2 ENG late makes the game look more lopsided than it was).

UQTR eliminates Carleton with 4-3 OT win...tough loss for the Ravens as they had a 3-1 lead late into the 3rd. Patriotes really took over the game in the 3rd (shots 14-7) and OT (shots 12-1).

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ravens were furious with the officials after the game. Patriots tied the game in the third on two 5 on 3 power plays then Mimar scored the winner in overtime after a Ravens players appeared to get dumped. Nothing happened during the handshakes but while the teams were leaving the ice there was quite a bit of yelling going on between both sides. Will be interested to read the coach's comments after the game.

Caught a little bit of Windsor v Lakehead. Nice to see their little rink packed for this one.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Mount Royal rallied from a 3-1 3rd period deficit to tie the game, only for Saskatchewan score in the final minute to win 4-3. Game 3 goes tomorrow night.

Looked like there was a good crowd on hand for the game (at least compared to the size of the rink)...does MRU usually get good crowds?

EDIT: They had 285 tonight and 263 last night...only 111 in their final home game against Manitoba.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ravens were on cruise control up 3-1 with around eight minutes left in Trois-Rivieres. Suddenly, after letting almost everything go all game, the referees decided to start calling things. The result? TWO extended 5-on-3's for UQTR, of which they scored on both.

3-3. Ravens gassed.

Mimar wins it in OT. Full quote from Ravens head coach Marty Johnston:

"We came out with great jump in the 1st period. We should have capitalized on more of our scoring chances in the 1st. We played hard the whole night. Trying to kill two separate 5 on 3's in the last 7 minutes of the 3rd was too big a task when we had the 3-1 lead. Everyone battled hard, UQTR played very well in OT. It's a tough pill to swallow given the circumstances of how things played out."

Carleton lost the series in Game 1, losing in OT at home. The coaches and team knew heading up to UQTR that it would be tough to extend the series. They beat the team over 51 minutes, and the officials gave UQTR an in back into the game.

Last edited:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Ravens were furious with the officials after the game. Patriots tied the game in the third on two 5 on 3 power plays then Mimar scored the winner in overtime after a Ravens players appeared to get dumped. Nothing happened during the handshakes but while the teams were leaving the ice there was quite a bit of yelling going on between both sides. Will be interested to read the coach's comments after the game.

Caught a little bit of Windsor v Lakehead. Nice to see their little rink packed for this one.
Carleton were indeed on the bad end of some calls. One of the two 5 on the 3 shouldn't have been and Johnston was indeed frustrated with the issue, it has happened to them so many times in Trois-Rivières.

As for the play on Mimar's goal, I've seen the replay, it's mostly an on ice battle. Van Stalen lost the puck after the first contact and then both players fell. I don't see this being a penalty call during regulation. In overtime ? Won't happen, no matter what language the referees speak. Johnston even said it after the game the the frustration towards the refs had to do with the third period.

Do the Ravens deserve better ? Yes, but in the end, you lose one at home in OT, you get a 3-1 lead but can't close it, and then get dominated in overtime... you can't put all that on the referees.

As for the post-game shenanigans, Hubert was actually saying to the fans to leave the Ravens alone, especially as he knew some of them. I don't think the Ravens saw it that way however. Such a shame OUA playoffs are only 2 out of 3 and we don't get more of these quality matchups.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Carleton were indeed on the bad end of some calls. One of the two 5 on the 3 shouldn't have been and Johnston was indeed frustrated with the issue, it has happened to them so many times in Trois-Rivières.

As for the play on Mimar's goal, I've seen the replay, it's mostly an on ice battle. Van Stalen lost the puck after the first contact and then both players fell. I don't see this being a penalty call during regulation. In overtime ? Won't happen, no matter what language the referees speak. Johnston even said it after the game the the frustration towards the refs had to do with the third period.

Do the Ravens deserve better ? Yes, but in the end, you lose one at home in OT, you get a 3-1 lead but can't close it, and then get dominated in overtime... you can't put all that on the referees.

As for the post-game shenanigans, Hubert was actually saying to the fans to leave the Ravens alone, especially as he knew some of them. I don't think the Ravens saw it that way however. Such a shame OUA playoffs are only 2 out of 3 and we don't get more of these quality matchups.

Thanks for clarifying. It was hard to tell what was going on by just watching the stream. Plus my French stinks.

MrH4bs

Dec 8, 2010

I was filming at the game and saw the replays and to me even the 5 on 3 was deserved.. one penaly was a crosscheck to the face of Morin and the other one was a slash that broke a stick.. both were pretty much automatic calls.

And like you said there was no penalty on the ot goal..it was just 2 guys fighting for the puck.

I think the ref could have called more penalties on the Patriotes side, but overall most of the call were relatively accurate imo.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I was filming at the game and saw the replays and to me even the 5 on 3 was deserved.. one penaly was a crosscheck to the face of Morin and the other one was a slash that broke a stick.. both were pretty much automatic calls.

And like you said there was no penalty on the ot goal..it was just 2 guys fighting for the puck.

I think the ref could have called more penalties on the Patriotes side, but overall most of the call were relatively accurate imo.

That's a fair statement. I mean, UQTR received twice as many PPs as Carleton. Did Carleton really break the rules twice as often in that game as UQTR did? Probably not.

Congrats on the win. Your team is very skilled and enjoyable to watch. Desrosiers is a fun goalie to watch too. :handclap:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I could understand the reaction if the officials were junior B refs, but the 4 referees during that game are all working in the QMJHL. Heck, one of the linesman, Daniel Bechard, had officiated in four Memorial Cups. These aren't low grade officials, they're the best in Quebec not working in the NHL or AHL.

Is officiating stricter in Quebec ? For sure it is. I've seen CIS games in Ontario, and I couldn't believe some of the calls that were not made. Rules are the same, but tolerance is much higher west of the Gatineau river. Teams have to adapt to the game being called like it is in the QMJHL.

But sometimes, I feel that teams coming in Quebec use officiating as a way out after a loss, as if they started with a strike because the referees has a logo on their chest that says Hockey Quebec instead of OHA

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
SMU goes up 2 games to 1 over Acadia with a 4-0 win tonight in Halifax. Acadia outshot the Huskies 37-23..I didn't watch much of it but sounded like Peters was up to his old tricks.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Peters played very well. Acadia had lots of chances. Franko left the game in the 2nd and I don't think he returned. Cazolla played, but I'm not sure if he is 100%. Giftopoulos was Acadia best player. I'm off to SFX Monday for that game, then back at the Forum for game 4 Tuesday. 0 for 7 on the PP for Acadia tonight plus giving up a shorty when down 1-0.

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010

I also watched the video of the game and i completely disagree with you.

Being a neutral party in this matchup, i must say the Carleton team was victim of horrible bias reffing in my opinion. Carleton carried the play throughout the game being the better team. The refs were very good in my opinion letting most penalties go on both sides and letting 2 very good teams play, as it should be.

Then with Carleton up 3-1 with under 10 minutes to go, why do the refs start calling very questionable penalties and only on Carleton? That is very questionable to me.

The first penalty, was a very evident dive by the UQTR player, but is the only penalty i thought was reasonable.
The second penalty to put the ravens down 5 on 3, im not sure where you got your theory of a broken stick, but it was a under stick lift to steal the puck... no stick was broken and no slash by any Carleton player on the ice.
The third penalty was a Carleton player boxing out a UQTR player as a rebound came out and it was not even close to a crosscheck to the face, the Carleton player hit the UQTR player in the chest in a boxing out matter not any kind of agression and yet refs who have put the whistles away for the entire game until UQTR is in danger of losing the game. Then they start looking for and forcing cheeky penalty's on Carleton.

As i said i am a neutral party in this, but i can clearly see signs of corruption here and truely believe the Carleton team was cheated.

Everyone who saw the video or was at the game can clearly see it.

No disrespect to you MrH4bs, but im just calling it as i saw it.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I also watched the video of the game and i completely disagree with you.

Being a neutral party in this matchup, i must say the Carleton team was victim of horrible bias reffing in my opinion. Carleton carried the play throughout the game being the better team. The refs were very good in my opinion letting most penalties go on both sides and letting 2 very good teams play, as it should be.

Then with Carleton up 3-1 with under 10 minutes to go, why do the refs start calling very questionable penalties and only on Carleton? That is very questionable to me.

The first penalty, was a very evident dive by the UQTR player, but is the only penalty i thought was reasonable.
The second penalty to put the ravens down 5 on 3, im not sure where you got your theory of a broken stick, but it was a under stick lift to steal the puck... no stick was broken and no slash by any Carleton player on the ice.
The third penalty was a Carleton player boxing out a UQTR player as a rebound came out and it was not even close to a crosscheck to the face, the Carleton player hit the UQTR player in the chest in a boxing out matter not any kind of agression and yet refs who have put the whistles away for the entire game until UQTR is in danger of losing the game. Then they start looking for and forcing cheeky penalty's on Carleton.

As i said i am a neutral party in this, but i can clearly see signs of corruption here and truely believe the Carleton team was cheated.

Everyone who saw the video or was at the game can clearly see it.

No disrespect to you MrH4bs, but im just calling it as i saw it.
I'm sorry but you're wrong. I just looked at the replays, Morin running for the puck in front of the net, gets slashed on the lower part of his stick by Hulton. Not a big chop at all, but that's an automatic penalty.

As for the crosscheck penalty minutes later, we don't get a good angle on it. There's a crosscheck on Morin for sure, but can't say if it's a hard one and worthy of a penalty. Might not have been a call in Ontario indeed.

Some calls were not made against Carleton too. Mimar got his stick broken on a slash later in the period, automatic call usually but nothing on the play. Also, Morin got penalized for interference on the goalkeeper but it was Lomas who checked him into Killeen. That call went Carleton's way too.

In the end, it wasn't a great referring job, but not a bad one either. I can understand the frustration on the Raven's part, because those penalties were all in the span of a couple of minutes in the third period, but what are the refs supposed to do ? Hide their whistle on automatic calls ? I've seen way worst officiating this year, especially when McGill came in Trois-Rivières. That was a disgrace.

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
I'm sorry but you're wrong. I just looked at the replays, Morin running for the puck in front of the net, gets slashed on the lower part of his stick by Hulton. Not a big chop at all, but that's an automatic penalty.

As for the crosscheck penalty minutes later, we don't get a good angle on it. There's a crosscheck on Morin for sure, but can't say if it's a hard one and worthy of a penalty. Might not have been a call in Ontario indeed.

Some calls were not made against Carleton too. Mimar got his stick broken on a slash later in the period, automatic call usually but nothing on the play. Also, Morin got penalized for interference on the goalkeeper but it was Lomas who checked him into Killeen. That call went Carleton's way too.

In the end, it wasn't a great referring job, but not a bad one either. I can understand the frustration on the Raven's part, because those penalties were all in the span of a couple of minutes in the third period, but what are the refs supposed to do ? Hide their whistle on automatic calls ? I've seen way worst officiating this year, especially when McGill came in Trois-Rivières. That was a disgrace.

The point is, the refs did not call penalties for the first 50 minutes of the game, penalties that were alot worst then those ones and on both sides. That is fine. if they are letting penalties go on both sides then it is an even game, no harm no foul.

But as an official, you cannot change your style of reffing in the last minutes of a game simply because the score favours one team, and that is what happened. If those plays were to have happened in the first 50 minutes of the game, the refs were not calling it. Why the sudden change?

Also late in the third with the game tied 3-3, a ravens player had a glorious opportunity walking into a prime shooting position in the slot before getting chopped down from behind by a slash/trip and the refs let that go. Again, there is no problem with letting it go if they are letting it go on both sides, but at that point they had called Carleton on 3 questionable calls.

The consistency of the officiating was very very poor is what i am saying here.

Also in the article in the newspaper, the UQTR coach and the journalist agree that the calls were suspect but say that in the end the ravens did not kill off the penalties and that is what cost them. Which is a fair statement.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
X up 1-0 after the 1st despite no Gal/Locke/Grbavec....UNB not getting a ton of great chances (until those last couple PP's), but Owsley looks like he will be tough to beat tonight. I rip on Peddle a lot...but gotta give him credit, he knows how to play against UNB in the playoffs.

EDIT: Now 3-2 for X after 2nd period. UNB tied it at 1 and then again at 2 but X quickly answered each time to retake the lead...both goals came off the rush just after UNB had a rush of their own for a quality scoring chance. UNB is working hard to score and it seems like X is taking advantage of every chance they get....shades of 2010.

Last edited:

H101

Aug 26, 2008
Sorry guys. Watched the replays more than once. Carleton was robbed! Refs let the guys play, then looked at the clock and said whoaaa....time to get involved. Turned a good game into a joke.....should be ashamed of themselves. Obviously the UQTR coach knows it too

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia vs SMU

Acadia with a tight checking 2-1 win over SMU, both AUS semi-finals going to a 5'th and deciding game.
A wild card series will be played between the 2 losers, if X wins thursday.
Peters, solid,but gave up a soft goal at the start of the second is the game winner from Giftopolus.
Game 5 on Olympic ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad