2015 CIS Playoffs

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
Why does the OUA play the best of three and AUS plays the best of 5?

And why does the AUS play the best 2 of 3 to determine the third birth to the CIS and the OUA plays a one and done game to determine their 3rd representative.

Shouldn't a national league play under exactly the same rules and format regardless of location?

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Why does the OUA play the best of three and AUS plays the best of 5?

And why does the AUS play the best 2 of 3 to determine the third birth to the CIS and the OUA plays a one and done game to determine their 3rd representative.

Shouldn't a national league play under exactly the same rules and format regardless of location?

Travel distances in the Maritime provinces are much closer than CanadaWest or OUA (Lakehead vs Windsor,toronto etc), so best of 5 series are more of a norm.
As discussed in the Manitoba Bison and Alberta thread, due to travel distance, CanadaWest teams only play best of 3, with all games in the home teams building.
I think that an Alberta,Calgary,Mount Royal playoff series, being in one province, should start with a game in the visiting teams rink.
Alberta to Calgary is a 3 hr drive, less than Fredericton to Halifax,Antigonish and Wolfville.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The OUA also has one more playoff "round" to try and fit in...Quarters/Semis/Finals/Queens Cup as opposed to Quarters/Semis/Finals for the AUS and CW.

Heck, the conferences don't even use the same overtime rules (regular season or playoff)...

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The OUA also has one more playoff "round" to try and fit in...Quarters/Semis/Finals/Queens Cup as opposed to Quarters/Semis/Finals for the AUS and CW.

Heck, the conferences don't even use the same overtime rules (regular season or playoff)...

At one point, the Queen's Cup was a four-team, single-elimination tournament.

Distance is a huge factor, particularly for the OUA East teams, which stretches from Toronto (UOIT) to Trois-Rivieres to Sudbury. The OUA West is not so bad, if only because you fly to/from Lakehead. UQTR to Laurentian is a solid 10 hours.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
5th and Deciding Game Series - AUS

Best-of-5 Semi-Finals
Best-of-five Semi-Finals have only be played for the past 8 seasons.

Best-of-5 Finals
Best-of-5 Finals started in 2000. Some years have best-of-five Finals, while other years they are best-of-3 (depending on whether the AUS got a wild-card to UCup or not).

A first
This is the first time that both AUS best-of-five Semi-final series have gone the distance.

Previous to this, only 4 series, of 26 best-of-five of any flavour (16 Semi-Final Series and 10 Finals), had gone 5 games.

2002 AUS Finals SMU vs DAL (SMU, 2-1 OT2 in game 5)
2005 AUS Finals UdM vs ACD (UdM, 3-2 OT2 in game 5)
2011 AUS Semi-Finals SFX vs SMU (SFX, 3-2 OT2 in game 5)
2011 AUS Finals UNB vs SFX (UNB, 5-4 OT1 in game 5)

Note 1: so far, every game 5 has gone to OT
Note 2: in each series, no team had more than 1 game lead (1-0/1-1/2-1/2-2/3-2)
Note 3: the visitor has won 3 of 4 game five finals

Consolation Final
The consolation final has only been played once, in 2007, when Moncton won the AUS Title and the AUS had a wild-card spot (UNB was the runner-up and SFX defeated STU in two straight games). I believe the next year they changed the wild-card assignment to a conference that was not hosting.

Breakdown
Of the 26 total best-of-five series, the breakdown is:
- (3-0) = 10
- (3-1) = 12
- (3-2) = 4 (all went to OT in the final game)

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"And why does the AUS play the best 2 of 3 to determine the third birth to the CIS ..."

I could be mistaken, but I thought the 3rd berth was a single game in the AUS this year.

Edit: Never mind. I found it.

Consolation Final: (if necessary)
• In any season where the AUS conference has three guaranteed berths in the
CIS championship, the AUS semifinal losers will play in a best 2-of-3 with the
higher ranked team having home-ice advantage.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UQTR 3 McGill 0 - Not too surprised as Les Patriotes have been playing better in the playoffs than the Redmen.

Guelph 3 Windsor 1 - Good crowd for the Lancers game. Hard to believe that the Gryphons are one win away from going to the Nationals. I think it would be their first time since they won it all in 97'?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
UQTR 3 McGill 0 - Not too surprised as Les Patriotes have been playing better in the playoffs than the Redmen.

Guelph 3 Windsor 1 - Good crowd for the Lancers game. Hard to believe that the Gryphons are one win away from going to the Nationals. I think it would be their first time since they won it all in 97'?

They hosted in 2002.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
They hosted in 2002.

That was perhaps one of the weakest host bids in recent years. In 2001 and 2002, the tourney was co-hosted by Waterloo, Laurier, and Guelph at the Kitchener Memorial Aud. The three local teams played a round robin tourney to decide the host bid, with Laurier winning in 2001 and Guelph winning in 2002.

The Gryphons were 11-12-1 in 2002, and lost in rd 1 of the playoffs to Brock. They won the host bid over Laurier (8-14-2) and Waterloo (3-20-1). At the Uni Cup, Guelph lost 8-0 to Alberta and 5-2 to OUA runner-up Western.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
That was perhaps one of the weakest host bids in recent years. In 2001 and 2002, the tourney was co-hosted by Waterloo, Laurier, and Guelph at the Kitchener Memorial Aud. The three local teams played a round robin tourney to decide the host bid, with Laurier winning in 2001 and Guelph winning in 2002.

The Gryphons were 11-12-1 in 2002, and lost in rd 1 of the playoffs to Brock. They won the host bid over Laurier (8-14-2) and Waterloo (3-20-1). At the Uni Cup, Guelph lost 8-0 to Alberta and 5-2 to OUA runner-up Western.

If I remember correctly it was considered an "attendance disaster".

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 3 SMU 2 - Well it was the series that everyone expected. Huskies really missed their chance to close it out in Halifax on Tuesday. Good for the Axemen. They will get a chance to redeem themselves after last year's embarrassing performance at the Nationals.

UNB 6 STFX 3 - This thing wasn't decided until Willick scored the empty netter with just over a minute to play. The VReds would take the lead and STFX would come right back. Owsley made some great saves in nets for X. Shantz had a bit of a rough go in this one, although he was solid in the third. Full credit to X for playing like it mattered. They certainly didn't roll over with a spot guaranteed.

According to the VReds twitter game one is expected to be held on Monday. With game 2 likely to be Wednesday in Wolfville and a potential game three back at UNB for Friday.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
If I remember correctly it was considered an "attendance disaster".

Well, put it this way: there are three schools within a half-hour drive of one of the great mid-size rinks in the country, and bidding hasn't even been considered. So, disaster is probably a fair term to use :D

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I suspect that Halifax will do good-well for attendance, given that STFX, Acadia, and UNB will be there, those three will bring their fair share of fans, and Halifax will support it, given the quality of hockey that I expect too see. Given that it is being played at the metro centre, I don't see many sell outs, but who knows, I haven't heard anything concerning tickets sales.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU would have helped with the draw, if they had made it.
Acadia will be as much of a home team as ST FX, UNB will not be considered a home team, as anyone in Halifax would love to see them get beat.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
I suspect there will be a decent UNB crowd there. There was a huge UNB continent in Moncton back when they hosted and we are only talking a 4ish hour drive vs. a 2ish hour drive...it is not like SMU has any draw at all anyway for fans. I've gone to a few games at the forum and it seemed like there were more people on the benches than in the crowd.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
SMU usually draws pretty good for big games though...they had 3800 for game 3 of the 2010 AUS Finals against X, almost 4700 for game 5 of the 2011 semi-finals against X, and 3500 for game 4 of the finals against Acadia last year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Mount Royal forces a game 3 with a 5-2 win over Calgary, scoring 4 unanswered goals in the 3rd period (2 ENG).

UBC had Alberta 3-1 with under 9 minutes left but no surprise to see the Golden Bears come back for the win, scoring the GWG with 33 seconds left.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Didn't get to see any of the games tonight. I was too busy throwing cash away at the poker table. So I am glad that MRU has forced a game 3. Like I said before it would be nice to see a brand new team at the Nationals.

Man that must have been such a heartbreaker for UBC. No reason to hang their heads though. They did the program proud.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Well the streak is over. After losing their past seven duels, UQTR has beaten McGill in the playoff for the first time in the last ten years. You could say a page of UQTR's history was written last night.

And it was quite a game. The Patriotes got a couple of lucky bounces and McGill didn't do enough to beat Desrosiers. McGill played great on the PK, and UQTR didn't give them much on the PP. Refs let them play, except for an interference call on McGill in the third period.

Quite honestly, it was a great game between two great teams and I'll think we'll see both of them in Halifax. The kind of game you can use the tape to sell the game. Good thing it was played in front of 1000 people, despite a Habs-Leafs game on TV.

Last edited:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Can't see Guelph keeping up with UQTR in the OUA final.

Question for those on here who have followed CIS hockey longer than I -

Why isn't there a Quebec conference? An RSEQ Men's Hockey league? I'm sure there are enough former QMJHLers to fill teams at schools like Bishop's, Sherbrooke, Montreal, etc?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad