2015 CIS Playoffs

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Any predictions?

It's a tough game to predict, because there's really not much of a difference between these two teams. Waterloo didn't have their legs for most of the game last night; I'm sure some of that was Guelph's desperation, and some was playing a B2B (I'd argue that's a greater disadvantage for Waterloo right now, because they are missing three of their top ice-time eaters, so everyone else is playing more minutes).

I will say the home team has won the last 7 matchups between these two teams. Waterloo has been habitually a way better home team, and they've struggled in the past on Int'l ice (like they have in Guelph). If I had to make a prediction, I'd say 3-2 Waterloo.

sportsfan111

Oct 23, 2014
For those west of New Brunswick looking for some hockey to watch before the games in your area start tonight, the X-UPEI game should be a dandy. The Panthers will be in full swagger tonight and X will be cagey as always. Players aside, the play-by-play guy is great to listen to; he gets super excited.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For those west of New Brunswick looking for some hockey to watch before the games in your area start tonight, the X-UPEI game should be a dandy. The Panthers will be in full swagger tonight and X will be cagey as always. Players aside, the play-by-play guy is great to listen to; he gets super excited.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...UPEI broadcasts are the best in the AUS IMO. The video is good, the rink is usually full, and the usual play by play announcer (can't think of his name right now) is great to listen to. In terms of the announcers I would put UPEI/Acadia/SMU as the top 3 in the league....obviously I don't listen to the UNB games so I can't speak about them.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STFX knocks off UPEI 3-1 despite being outshot 42-24. Owsley was big in goal for X as the Panthers could only get one shot by him. Going into the game I really thought that we would be seeing a game three. Broadcast had some technical issues tonight. Usually it is very good.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Carleton bounces UOIT in two straight with a 6-1 win tonight on home ice.

Carleton went up 3-0 late in the first period, and after that UOIT literally just stopped playing hockey. Headshots, two-handers, the Ridgebacks lost the plot in the final forty-five minutes of the game.

Ravens will likely face UQTR in Round 2.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
after that UOIT literally just stopped playing hockey. Headshots, two-handers, the Ridgebacks lost the plot in the final forty-five minutes of the game.

That's CIS hockey for you. When you got a big lead in a decisive game, the game turns into a very dangerous endeavour where you can't defend yourself or you'll get suspended.

I think the league should act on that. If you fight in the playoff, you're ejected but you don't get suspended, especially if you're jumped. That would take cheap shots down. At some point, it's about the safety of the players who will play in the next round.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I'm writing the obit for Western before the game is over. They need to recruit offence. They really missed Daniel Erlich and Matt Clarke this year. And they lose Steve Reese, their top scorer this year, who is a 5th year. They actually did better than I expected this year, but they won a lot of one goal games and lacked the offensive strength to come back when they fell behind. Case in point today. Goaltending was strong before Christmas, very shakey since.

Congrats to Lakehead, who have stepped it up when it matters.

While the West is wide open, I like Waterloo, but injuries may hold them back. The eventual OUA champ will likely come from the East, and wouldn't it be great for it to be Carleton.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Lakehead sweeps Western. Just to think this time last week we weren't sure that they would make the playoffs. Watched this game until the third when the stream froze.

Happy for the Thunderwolves fan base. I like to see teams with strong fan bases do well. Hope to see them in Halifax.

Hockey999

Feb 14, 2015
I'm writing the obit for Western before the game is over. They need to recruit offence. They really missed Daniel Erlich and Matt Clarke this year. And they lose Steve Reese, their top scorer this year, who is a 5th year. They actually did better than I expected this year, but they won a lot of one goal games and lacked the offensive strength to come back when they fell behind. Case in point today. Goaltending was strong before Christmas, very shakey since.

Singer has finished first place 12 times and out of those 12 times he has won the OUA title once, and has been eliminated on home ice 9 times.

I would question the quality of playoff coaching.

lakeheadu

Mar 26, 2010
Lakehead sweeps Western. Just to think this time last week we weren't sure that they would make the playoffs. Watched this game until the third when the stream froze.

Happy for the Thunderwolves fan base. I like to see teams with strong fan bases do well. Hope to see them in Halifax.

You were able to watch?? I thought nobody could access it until mid 3rd period. That's weird. Yours must have froze once they fixed things and actually made it work. All of the OUA TV games were not working for any sport it seemed. I tried 4 or 5 and even UWO's Twitter said it was down. Had to resort to radio.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
You were able to watch?? I thought nobody could access it until mid 3rd period. That's weird. Yours must have froze once they fixed things and actually made it work. All of the OUA TV games were not working for any sport it seemed. I tried 4 or 5 and even UWO's Twitter said it was down. Had to resort to radio.

I didn't see the first period. It went down for me about 4min into the third. Strange.

What radio station are Thunderwolves games broadcast on?

lakeheadu

Mar 26, 2010
I didn't see the first period. It went down for me about 4min into the third. Strange.

What radio station are Thunderwolves games broadcast on?

Yeah that's weird, I tried about 50 times to get it to load...as well as other games just to see if they had the site working yet. The games slowly started working one at a time and ours was the last of course.

I actually listened to a London station. Last season we stopped broadcasting road games on the radio for whatever reason.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU survive a big scare from Moncton with a 3-2 win. Les Aigles were actually leading 2-1 halfway through the third. Huskies tied on a power play then Green scored the winner on a penalty shot.

Watching Toronto vs Ryerson right now. Excellent feed.

Edit - And Toronto completes the sweep.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
AUS semi-final schedule is out:

Game 1: Thursday, February 19 - StFX at UNB, 7:00pm

Game 2: Friday, February 20 - StFX at UNB, 7:00pm

Game 3: Sunday, February 22 - UNB at StFX, 7:00pm

Game 4: Monday, February 23 - UNB at StFX, 7:00pm (*if necessary)

Game 5: Thursday, February 26 - StFX at UNB, 7:00pm (*if necessary)

Game 1: Wednesday, February 18 – Saint Mary’s at Acadia, 7:00pm

Game 2: Thursday, February 19 – Saint Mary’s at Acadia, 7:00pm

Game 3: Sunday, February 22 - Acadia at Saint Mary’s, 7:00pm

Game 4: Tuesday, February 24 - Acadia at Saint Mary’s, 7:00pm (*if necessary)

Game 5: Thursday, February 26 – Saint Mary’s at Acadia, 7:00pm (*if necessary)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interesting that game 3 of the SMU/Acadia series is scheduled for Sunday night instead of Saturday night (which you would think would be the better draw)....Mooseheads playing that night?? Neither of the series has a game on Saturday actually.

X and UNB playing 4 games in 5 days...depth and conditioning should play a factor by the time the 4th game rolls around.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Brock up by 1 with one period to go on Windsor. If they win, the OUA West will see Toronto (5), Guelph (6), Lakehead (7) and Brock (8) remaining. A fitting conclusion to a bizarre OUA West season.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
OUA East First Round​

#1 McGill v #8 Concordia
- McGill is a very, very good team.
- Concordia has one of the best players in Canada in Olivier Hinse.
- McGill has two excellent goaltenders.
McGill in three. Concordia with enough to steal a game, but not to pull off the upset.

#2 Carleton v. #7 UOIT
- Ravens slipped up at Laurentian in their last regular season game.
- Still one of the best offensive teams in the OUA.
- Outscored UOIT 17-4 in two meetings this season.
Carleton in a sweep. Just too much for UOIT.

#3 UQTR v. #6 Nipissing
- UQTR struggled a bit down the stretch.
- Still a talented team that gets calls at home.
- Nipissing works hard, but not a ton of offence.
UQTR in a sweep. Nip might steal G1 at home. Probably not.

#4 Laurentian v. #5 Queen's
- Laurentian playing sound defensive hockey.
- Queen's have the best goaltender in the division in Kevin Bailie.
Queen's in three. Bailie posts at least one shutout.

Should be great viewing!

4/4.

OUA East 2nd Round

#1 McGill 2-0 #4 Queen's
- McGill just too much for Queen's.
- Gervais-Chouinard the only goalie who can match Bailie nightly in net.

#2 Carleton 2-1 #3 UQTR
- Seems unfair that one of these teams will have to go home, especially with two of the top three in the West being out.
- Carleton gets the edge with home ice, better defence. Goaltending will probably decide series.
- Could really go either way

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Windsor tied the game with just over 2min left and then won on a fluky goal in overtime 4-3. Brock had the lead 3 times.

Did anyone else see the game or at least the third period? The tying goal seemed controversial. Brock came in Windsor's zone on a rush. One of the Brock players crashed into the net taking it off. Windsor immediately had possession of the puck and rushed up the ice to score. My guess is because Windsor had the puck and was taking it up the ice the refs decided not to blow the play down. However, I thought it was an automatic whistle?

Anyway it is Windsor vs Lakehead and Toronto vs Guelph.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Tough loss for Waterloo tonight - they hit three goal posts in a 4-1 loss (2 ENG), and Guelph G Andrew D'Agostini was excellent. Never like playing the injury card, but you'd have to think that things might have been different for the Warriors when the offense dried up had they had Chappell and Kennedy (two former AHLers and OHL captains).

That's not to take anything away from Guelph, who's a talented team that had a rough month. They're better than a 6th seed (they won 8 of 11 in 2015), and they have a chance to make a deep run now.

My game recap: http://warriors.uwaterloo.ca/news/2015/2/15/MHOCKEY_0215150826.aspx

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Tough loss for Waterloo tonight - they hit three goal posts in a 4-1 loss (2 ENG), and Guelph G Andrew D'Agostini was excellent. Never like playing the injury card, but you'd have to think that things might have been different for the Warriors when the offense dried up had they had Chappell and Kennedy (two former AHLers and OHL captains).

That's not to take anything away from Guelph, who's a talented team that had a rough month. They're better than a 6th seed (they won 8 of 11 in 2015), and they have a chance to make a deep run now.

My game recap: http://warriors.uwaterloo.ca/news/2015/2/15/MHOCKEY_0215150826.aspx

Yeah, Chappell was definitely a huge loss for them.

Great call on the game tonight. Only some camera problems in the first.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Thanks! Much appreciated. Our SID and a roll of hockey tape fixed a loose HDMI cable after the first.

Sorry to see you guys fall. If healthy, Waterloo was my pick for the OUA West. Such a great road game when you came up to Carleton and beat the Ravens - only team to do so this season.

Injuries suck, but credit to Guelph for a solid series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad