TBA: at Guelph
TBA: at Toronto

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
(6) Guelph vs. (5) Toronto

at Toronto Wednesday Feb 18th 7:30
at Guelph Saturday Feb 21 2:00
at Toronto Sunday Feb 22 7:30

Should be a good one. As it seems with all the OUA West series, anyone can win.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Sorry to see you guys fall. If healthy, Waterloo was my pick for the OUA West. Such a great road game when you came up to Carleton and beat the Ravens - only team to do so this season.

Injuries suck, but credit to Guelph for a solid series.

Guelph played almost the perfect road playoff game - get a little luck (Waterloo hit three posts), rely on good goaltending (D'Agostini made 38 saves), and get a lead and hold it (They were up 2-0 25 mins into the game). The shot counts were high in favour of the Warriors, but the chances were likely pretty even. Guelph did a good job limiting Waterloo.

Also, Guelph was a 6th seed, but they probably shouldn't have been. They just couldn't score in the fall term, and pucks started going in for them after Christmas. They're now 10-4 (playoffs included) since the break, so they have as good a shot as anyone to come out of the west.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
(6) Guelph vs. (5) Toronto

at Toronto Wednesday Feb 18th 7:30
at Guelph Saturday Feb 21 2:00
at Toronto Sunday Feb 22 7:30

Should be a good one. As it seems with all the OUA West series, anyone can win.

The OUA West has always been deep. Over the past 25 years, every team in that conference has been to the University Cup at least once (with the exception of Ryerson, who only moved the West recently).

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The OUA West has always been deep. Over the past 25 years, every team in that conference has been to the University Cup at least once (with the exception of Ryerson, who only moved the West recently).

I have a feeling Guelph will win the West this year. They are a big team with tons of momentum right now, and pucks are finally starting to go in the net. They're also starting to stay out - D'Agostini might have fallen victim to the playing time reduction that all ex-CHL keepers have to adjust to when they come to the CIS, but he's hitting his stride.

I say Guelph in 2 over Toronto, and in 3 over Windsor.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
St Mary's takes the first game 3-2 in double OT. Great game, both had their chances (Acadia hit the post with 3 secs to go in the first OT). Peters was solid as expected. Game two should be just as entertaining.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
St Mary's takes the first game 3-2 in double OT. Great game, both had their chances (Acadia hit the post with 3 secs to go in the first OT). Peters was solid as expected. Game two should be just as entertaining.

After the second period I pretty much expected the Axemen to shut the Huskies down for the rest of the game. Then the Huskies took over. Steinburg must have really tore a strip off them in the dressing room.

What was the deal with the jerseys at the beginning of the game? The commentator said both had their road jerseys on during the pre-game warmup. Caused quite the delay.

Even without Cazzola I think the Axemen can take this series but they would be a better team with him in the lineup.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Guelph played almost the perfect road playoff game - get a little luck (Waterloo hit three posts), rely on good goaltending (D'Agostini made 38 saves), and get a lead and hold it (They were up 2-0 25 mins into the game). The shot counts were high in favour of the Warriors, but the chances were likely pretty even. Guelph did a good job limiting Waterloo.

Looks like D'Agostini had a rough game tonight. 8 goals on 32 shots.
(Toronto won 8-3)

Flemminr

Mar 8, 2011
What was the deal with the jerseys at the beginning of the game? The commentator said both had their road jerseys on during the pre-game warmup. Caused quite the delay.
Long time lurker here.

I work at Acadia for most hockey games. Basically the issue was that Acadia being at home were wearing their home jerseys but SMU came wearing their home jerseys as well. SMU staff kept saying that apparently it is an AUS rule that during the playoffs, home teams wear their away jerseys and away teams wear their home jerseys. The refs made Acadia change their jerseys, though not sure if it was because of the rule or because they could accommodate the change and SMU couldn't. Whichever reason though, the Acadia staff were not happy to say the least.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I just e-mailed an AUS coach (not from Acadia or SMU). :)

The AUS rule is that yes in the second half home teams wear darks and visitors wear lights, but in the playoffs you revert back to the traditional colours: home teams wear their light coloured jerseys and visitors wear their darks.

Apparently in this case someone at Acadia got special permission from the AUS hockey co-ordinator to wear their darks at home in Game 1. For some reason he agreed. SMU was following the standard rule and brought their darks. So they were in the right, except for the special permission given to Acadia.

So, like in most cases, this seems to be a breakdown in communication between the two teams. Or just stubbornness. Take your pick.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Looks like D'Agostini had a rough game tonight. 8 goals on 32 shots.
(Toronto won 8-3)

I follow the OUA West as close or closer as anyone, and immediately after I decree that Guelph will win, they get spanked. Sigh.

Next year, I'm going to throw a dart at a board with 8 logos on it to pick my division champ.

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
I follow the OUA West as close or closer as anyone, and immediately after I decree that Guelph will win, they get spanked. Sigh.

Next year, I'm going to throw a dart at a board with 8 logos on it to pick my division champ.

I would not expect a repeat performance by Guelph on Saturday

Dagostini was a little soft

Guelph will be more disciplined and stay out of the box. Toronto scored 5 on the PP

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
Guelph got spanked by Waterloo in game 1 of the last series too.

I'm not counting Guelph out yet . . . but they will have to be much more disciplined if they want to take this series.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Guelph got spanked by Waterloo in game 1 of the last series too.

I'm not counting Guelph out yet . . . but they will have to be much more disciplined if they want to take this series.

Oh I am aware - I called that Waterloo spanking, and I called their game 3 win too. They can definitely make a comeback, but they'll have to right the ship - they were outplayed pretty handily in the game 3 win in Waterloo, and Toronto outpaced them yesterday too. They can't rely on D'Agostini to steal every game for them.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I just e-mailed an AUS coach (not from Acadia or SMU). :)

The AUS rule is that yes in the second half home teams wear darks and visitors wear lights, but in the playoffs you revert back to the traditional colours: home teams wear their light coloured jerseys and visitors wear their darks.

Apparently in this case someone at Acadia got special permission from the AUS hockey co-ordinator to wear their darks at home in Game 1. For some reason he agreed. SMU was following the standard rule and brought their darks. So they were in the right, except for the special permission given to Acadia.

So, like in most cases, this seems to be a breakdown in communication between the two teams. Or just stubbornness. Take your pick.

One time Calgary played a series at Manitoba and only brought their road reds. But the teams were supposed to switch for game 2. Manitoba kept their blacks on and red v black looked OK.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
One time Calgary played a series at Manitoba and only brought their road reds. But the teams were supposed to switch for game 2. Manitoba kept their blacks on and red v black looked OK.

Yeah, I don't consider it a big deal unless their the same color.

Acadia wear red and SMU maroon. I think it would have been fine.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Got home in time to see UQTR beat Carleton 2-1 in (ot). Looks like it is going to be the close series everyone predicted.

I checked the OUA homepage and they did not have a video link. I went to OUA TV just out of curiosity and they had the game on.

The only major team in the OUA that doesn't stream games is McGill which is surprising.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
McGill streams it's game through SSN Canada.

Tonight's game between UQTR was everything we expected: a close, defensive game. If UQTR can stop allowing as many goals per game as they did during the season, they might be onto something to lead them all the way. Getting Desrosiers in has really worked for them. And when it comes to overtime, I think it's the 4th straight time they've beaten the Ravens that way during the playoffs in the past 5 years.

Saturday's game is gonna be quite something.

By the way, I found out after the game that the Ravens have a post game show, with calls, and most importantly. Ads. Now that's the way to sell the game !

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
McGill streams it's game through SSN Canada.

Tonight's game between UQTR was everything we expected: a close, defensive game. If UQTR can stop allowing as many goals per game as they did during the season, they might be onto something to lead them all the way. Getting Desrosiers in has really worked for them. And when it comes to overtime, I think it's the 4th straight time they've beaten the Ravens that way during the playoffs in the past 5 years.

Saturday's game is gonna be quite something.

By the way, I found out after the game that the Ravens have a post game show, with calls, and most importantly. Ads. Now that's the way to sell the game !

UQTR looks dangerous!

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
UQTR looks dangerous!

Desrosiers carried them last night. Made a silly amount of tough saves.

My coverage of last night's Game 1 between Carleton & UQTR:

Video Highlights

Postgame Show

Going to be very tough for CU to go into Trois-Rivières and extend the series. Such a deflating loss. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the Patriotes looked damn good - first time I'd seen Carleton outskated this season.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Desrosiers carried them last night. Made a silly amount of tough saves.

My coverage of last night's Game 1 between Carleton & UQTR:

Video Highlights

Postgame Show

Going to be very tough for CU to go into Trois-Rivières and extend the series. Such a deflating loss. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the Patriotes looked damn good - first time I'd seen Carleton outskated this season.

Good job calling the game. Looking forward to the rematch tonight.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Just got done watching Guelph beat Toronto 3-1 to tie their series. D'Agostini returned to form stopping 41 of 42 shots.

Have to say that the video production done by Guelph is one the best I have seen in the CIS. Not many teams do instant replays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad