Prospect Info: 2015 36th overall - Gabriel Gagne (RW) Victoriaville Tigres [QMJHL]

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
In TSN's interview with button on ottawa's draft the host said he was told Gagne is the laziest player in the draft. Button said he wouldnt really call him lazy but sometimes not assertive.

Basically it sounds like Button thinks he needs to learn how to use his size more consistently

Last edited:

The Jangle Meister*

did anybody see how he was at the prospect camp today? wondering what the first impressions of our new draft picks are

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
did anybody see how he was at the prospect camp today? wondering what the first impressions of our new draft picks are

There was a video that the team posted today of him using his speed very well on a 1 on 1 play against one of the defensemen. It was very fun to watch. Quite the speed too.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I went to the draft and went through my photos yesterday.

IMG_1077.JPG

Late in round 1, I spotted Ray Shero talking with somebody that I didn't recognize.

IMG_1094.JPG

Then the same guy seems to be in this picture I took when the Devils were on the clock at #36. Presumably they were working out a trade and the Devils had to call timeout on the floor to finalize.

Just curious if that guy was part of Ottawa's staff. Gabriel Gagne was coincidentally sitting a few rows in front of me as well.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In TSN's interview with button on ottawa's draft the host said he was told Gagne is the laziest player in the draft. Button said he wouldnt really call him lazy but sometimes not assertive.

Basically it sounds like Button thinks he needs to learn how to use his size more consistently

So this is where I saw this. Well based on what I saw this week at the development camp I would say this is false. However, maybe the comment got back to Gagne & he made sure he was going to work his ass off all week, who knows? I thought he worked really hard at all the drills & during the scrimmages. In fact, I thought he stood out today in the 3 on 3 scrimmages with his speed & skill & so did a few other guys around me at the rink.

They have him listed at 6'4" which may be a tad generous but he needs to put on more muscle, he is fast & I imagine Mr. Power will help him to become even faster. He makes a very determined effort to hunt the puck down & isn't afraid to get physical with guys to get the puck back. I was impressed with him all week but especially today & now I understand why the Sens traded up to get him. I see a good 3rd line checking player with some scoring potential & injury replacement on the top 6. Hopefully, the Sens have another gem here & he goes back to junior & has a great season with lots of scoring.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I went to the draft and went through my photos yesterday.

IMG_1077.JPG

Late in round 1, I spotted Ray Shero talking with somebody that I didn't recognize.

IMG_1094.JPG

Then the same guy seems to be in this picture I took when the Devils were on the clock at #36. Presumably they were working out a trade and the Devils had to call timeout on the floor to finalize.

Just curious if that guy was part of Ottawa's staff. Gabriel Gagne was coincidentally sitting a few rows in front of me as well.

He could work for the league.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They have him listed at 6'4" which may be a tad generous but he needs to put on more muscle, he is fast & I imagine Mr. Power will help him to become even faster. He makes a very determined effort to hunt the puck down & isn't afraid to get physical with guys to get the puck back. I was impressed with him all week but especially today & now I understand why the Sens traded up to get him. I see a good 3rd line checking player with some scoring potential & injury replacement on the top 6. Hopefully, the Sens have another gem here & he goes back to junior & has a great season with lots of scoring.

Gagne was measured as 6.475 feet tall at the NHL combine, so if anything listing him at 6'4 is understating his size, as he's closer to 6'5 than 6'4

Kid could be 6'6 by the time he is done growing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Gagne was measured as 6.475 feet tall at the NHL combine, so if anything listing him at 6'4 is understating his size, as he's closer to 6'5 than 6'4

Kid could be 6'6 by the time he is done growing.

That would be great but honestly, he doesn't look it when you see him standing beside some of the other guys like Lindberg who is much thicker or Robinson who I read has grown to 6'6". Maybe it has to do with his skating style as well, he seems to bend over quite a bit when he is skating. I don't know, maybe it's me but I hope you are right.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
So this is where I saw this. Well based on what I saw this week at the development camp I would say this is false. However, maybe the comment got back to Gagne & he made sure he was going to work his ass off all week, who knows? I thought he worked really hard at all the drills & during the scrimmages. In fact, I thought he stood out today in the 3 on 3 scrimmages with his speed & skill & so did a few other guys around me at the rink.

Bulking up doesn't equate to success, just ask Josh Morrissey (one of Jets' top prospects, 13th overall in 2013).
http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/07/06/josh-morrissey-says-bulking-up-for-last-years-winnipeg-jets-training-camp-was-a-mistake

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Biggest , no pun intended, surprise for me at the Dev Camp. This guy has really good hockey sense. He is going to be a top 2 line player soon. Hope he has a great year back in junior and explodes next year... He should get consideration for the World Jr team as well IMO.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

There isn't a kid in hell that would play lazy at his first development camp.

It's pretty clear, for whatever reason, his effort level was weak in enough games for multiple scouts to say things like "laziest player". Maybe very near realization of an NHL career may turn him around, or maybe he'll just mature. Or maybe he'll be a lazy player that can score 30 goals and you never feel like you can win with. Or maybe he won't make it at all.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Maybe the prospect I'm most excited about from this draft. Picking up a Michael Ryder type (hopefully with a better defensive game and hustle) in the 2nd round would be huge.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Maybe the prospect I'm most excited about from this draft. Picking up a Michael Ryder type (hopefully with a better defensive game and hustle) in the 2nd round would be huge.

Corey Perry type. ;)

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
EK is a freak athlete who barely has to work out. He just naturally (and with a littlw exercise of course) stays in supreme condition.

He actually trains at the Swedish Olympic Training facility during the off season.

He trains in Gymnastics to be as strong as he can pound for pound.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He actually trains at the Swedish Olympic Training facility during the off season.

He trains in Gymnastics to as strong as he can pound for pound.

nope. i know for a fact he borrows burglar's macdonalds card and eats there 3 times a day. sometimes 4. only exercise he gets is refilling his soda cup

:sarcasm:?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

He trains in Gymnastics to as strong as he can pound for pound.

This is what I've always understood as well.

For guys that rely on speed and quickness it seems like a far better route than bulking up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is what I've always understood as well.

For guys that rely on speed and quickness it seems like a far better route than bulking up.

Pound for pound, gymnasts are the strongest athletes out there. There's definitely some merit to doing their kind of exercises and strength training (and their excellent focus on stretching the muscles, as well).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pound for pound, gymnasts are the strongest athletes out there. There's definitely some merit to doing their kind of exercises and strength training (and their excellent focus on stretching the muscles, as well).

Yup. Also explains why Karlsson can deliver those crushing hits for a guy so small. His balance must be spectacular.

Also helps with agility and absorbing impact. It's actually quite genius.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Honestly, I don't know a whole about Gagne, but the fact we traded up to get him makes me super interested in him. I wonder where our scouts had him ranked? Going to be following him closely this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad