Prospect Info: 2015 21st overall - Colin White (C/RW) USNTDP, going to Boston College

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Burning a year might give us a better bridge deal anyway. I don't think it's huge deal financially if he signs now and burns a year.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Why would he want to play in Bingo? The team is terrible.

Colin White will dictate what happens with him. If Dorion even mentions the Bingo idea, I would just laugh and walk away. Colin White deserves to at least be around the big club throughout the playoff run. If Dorion and the organization want to **** the kid off already, they are heading down the right path (again, if the ATO assumption is correct).

I don't agree with the PTO/ATO thing. I would prefer him to get his ELC even if it burns a year.

I think he'd benefit more from being with the NHL team and then being one of the black aces. He's probably played enough hockey this year and I get a sense that playing in the AHL for 10 games won't make a huge difference in his development, but experiencing the NHL, practising with the team, maybe getting a game or two, seeing a playoff drive and hopefully playoff games will be more beneficial to him.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Burning a year now might be a good thing in that do we really want him and Chabot on the same cycle of contracts?

I would rather have to worry about one at a time

Lol

I wanted to write about it, but my english being not so great. It way better written coming from you.

But, White would need to be resign the same year as Karlsson. That's the minus.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Burning a year is usually a prerequisite to signing a top end 1st round college free agent. I can't see it being a sticking point even if Boucher doesn't "trust" Colin White and doesn't want to play him on the main roster. There'll be another back to back, there'll be more injuries. Chris Kelly and Tommy Wingels play under 10 minutes some nights, the Sens also have an excess of PKers. They can scratch one for one game to burn the ELC as a consolation to White without it hurting the team's ability to make the playoffs.

The contract not being signed right away is likely because both sides have to negotiate on a dollar figure. Not every ELC is the same. Yes, there's a base salary cap for rookies, but the bonus structure of contracts can vary wildly. An example is Logan Brown has an AAV of about 1.6M, where as Patrik Laine from the same draft year has one of 3.57M. Burning a game likely isn't the sticking point, rather it is probably a bargaining chip the Sens can use to get White's AAV down a bit. The sticking point is likely the two sides trying to agree on White's AAV.

My guess would be if he signs, it is done by the end of the week but I have no idea how long these types of things take to negotiate. Would be cool if it was done today so he could play tomorrow in Boston. That'd be some good timing.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Lol

I wanted to write about it, but my english being not so great. It way better written coming from you.

But, White would need to be resign the same year as Karlsson. That's the minus.

Doesn't matter much. If he burns a year off of his ELC he won't be able to sign an offer sheet due to not meeting the games played threshold. (See Johnny Gaudreau as an example). He also won't have arbitration rights at that time and will be an RFA.

Zibanejad COULD sign an offer sheet, and looked what he signed for after back to back 20 goal near 50 point seasons as a 6th overall pick. I wouldn't really be worried about Colin White's second contract being too much. The Sens have a good track record over the last few years with getting RFAs like Stone, Ceci, Zibanejad, and Pageau on cheap bridge deals. Hoffman is the only one who the team muffed, and even with that Dorion apparently convinced Bryan Murray to offer him a longer term deal coming off of his breakout season but apparently Hoffman's side turned it down. (Might be wrong here happened a few years back so going off memory)

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
My guess would be if he signs, it is done by the end of the week but I have no idea how long these types of things take to negotiate. Would be cool if it was done today so he could play tomorrow in Boston. That'd be some good timing.

Talking about going to Boston, I would not be surprise if they planned on meeting with him, to talk about his futur with the team, his plan for school, etc.

That would be the perfect opportunity. They would be able to met with the parents and agents, etc.

Would be a good idea if they planned to meet with White today and than you bring him to tomorrow's morning skate, so he could meet Boucher and some players, etc.

Doesn't matter much. If he burns a year off of his ELC he won't be able to sign an offer sheet due to not meeting the games played threshold. (See Johnny Gaudreau as an example). He also won't have arbitration rights at that time and will be an RFA.

Of course, it doesn't matter much. They won't say to him that they doesn't want to sign him because he would be at the same time as Karlsson or Chabot, etc. But that's still something they are looking at, because they have to plan the futur. But that's very not that important, when it come to sign his first contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Here are the possibilities:

• Sign him to amateur tryout: White would finish this season with Ottawa’s American Hockey League affiliate in Binghamton and would agree to an entry-level contract in the off-season. The Senators like this option because they wouldn’t use up a year on the contract and White’s qualification for free agency. White could get plenty of playing time in Binghamton with that club out of the playoff picture and get used to the pro game. If he accepts, he could be in the lineup Friday at Canadian Tire Centre against the Toronto Marlies.

• Sign him to an entry-level deal: This would be the preferred option for White. It means burning a year on the contract, and the Senators would rather not do that. It would also be tough for him to get playing time with Ottawa trying to clinch an Eastern Conference playoff spot, especially given the recent acquisition of forwards Alex Burrows and Viktor Stalberg.

• Back to school: It doesn’t sound like either White or the Senators wants this, so somebody will have to compromise to make sure it doesn’t happen. If White returns to school, he’d have to play two more years at Boston College before becoming an unrestricted free agent, neither side wants that.

Option 2 would be my preference. Nothing here would surprise me. IMO if the Sens push option 1 as written; White will opt for option 3.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The AHL’s Cleveland Monsters, announced Thursday that the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets signed Clarkson University center Sam Vigneault to a two-year entry-level contract, beginning with the 2017-18 season, and the Monsters signed Vigneault to an amateur tryout contract (ATO) for the remainder of the 2016-17 campaign.
http://www.neosportsinsiders.com/cleveland-monsters-welcome-center-sam-vigneault-ato-contract-remainder-season/

see also:
The St. Louis Blues have locked up their most recent first-round pick, signing Tage Thompson to a three-year, entry-level contract today. Thompson had been playing at the University of Connecticut, but will report to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL for the remainder of the season on an amateur contract. His entry-level deal will not kick in until the 2017-18 season.

In Garrioch's description of the options. Option 1 Sign him to amateur tryout: White would finish this season with Ottawa’s American Hockey League affiliate in Binghamton and would agree to an entry-level contract in the off-season.

In the quote above re: Vigneault; He is joining the AHL team on an ATO but also signed an ELC. Same as what is being said about Tage Thompson with the Blues.

Why would White have to wait for his ELC till the off season?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I'm a bit confused about the nature of White's ELC.

Does he even need to play a game in the NHL to burn off a year since he is already 20? That seems to be the only reason why an ATO contract would be suggested by Garrioch.

Regardless, can't see the guy signing an ATO unless it is part of a bigger deal. As in the Sens agree in advance to give him a more lucrative ELC bonus wise this summer than his would have otherwise gotten if he signs an ATO instead of playing this year.

White is one of the top prospects in the league. When was the last time a College prospect of his caliber signed an ATO? I could be out to lunch, but it seems like a foolish suggestion by Garrioch.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I'm a bit confused about the nature of White's ELC.

Does he even need to play a game in the NHL to burn off a year since he is already 20? That seems to be the only reason why an ATO contract would be suggested by Garrioch.

Regardless, can't see the guy signing an ATO unless it is part of a bigger deal. As in the Sens agree in advance to give him a more lucrative ELC bonus wise this summer than his would have otherwise gotten if he signs an ATO instead of playing this year.

White is one of the top prospects in the league. When was the last time a College prospect of his caliber signed an ATO? I could be out to lunch, but it seems like a foolish suggestion by Garrioch.

Garrioch is a direct mouthpiece of the organization. The organization is CHEAP. Melnyk doesn't want to have to pay an extra body for the remainder of the season, and this way Dorion doesn't need to burn a year off of his ELC.

The Ottawa Senators organization is foolish if they think this is the way to handle this player.

Sign him to his ELC, if he doesn't play, he can be around the team, the coaching staff, trainers, etc. Give him a taste of what being a big league player is. Next year, if he doesn't make the team out of camp, he goes to Belleville, but at least the contract is signed.

Seems to me the organization wants him to play in Bingo without an ELC and then try to sign him in the summer. Horrible decision making if that's the case.

Last edited:

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
After last night it seems we could really use an infusion of energy. Hopefully he signs and gets in the line up asap.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Garrioch is a direct mouthpiece of the organization. The organization is CHEAP. Melnyk doesn't want to have to pay an extra body for the remainder of the season, and this way Dorion doesn't need to burn a year off of his ELC.

The Ottawa Senators organization is foolish if they think this is the way to handle this player.

Sign him to his ELC, if he doesn't play, he can be around the team, the coaching staff, trainers, etc. Give him a taste of what being a big league player is. Next year, if he doesn't make the team out of camp, he goes to Belleville, but at least the contract is signed.

Seems to me the organization wants him to play in Bingo without an ELC and then try to sign him in the summer. Horrible decision making if that's the case.

We just brought on salary? We signed a fourth liner to 5 mil for the next two years. Melnyk is spending

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We just brought on salary? We signed a fourth liner to 5 mil for the next two years. Melnyk is spending

We needed someone on that 4th line for the next few years. White would be paid to sit and watch, you think Eugene likes that?

Money in, money out. I say send DiDominico down if that's the case.

White couldn't be worse than Kelly.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Stone is out... Why not try White in our lineup?

What if he excels in a sheltered 4th line role?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

^^ this . Seems pretty simple. Easy enough not to screw up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This team needs to play its best available players and if that includes White, then he has to play. Regardless of the ELC status.

It isn't a stretch to assume he is better than Kelly or Wingels.

Sure it is. Both Wingels & Kelly have countless NHL games under their belts & know the ins & outs of pro hockey & know GBs system. It's expecting way too much to think White as a college player, can come into the NHL & make a difference or be better than two experienced NHL players. It's a huge difference in talent level, speed & physicality in the NHL compared to college, the jump is quite significant. I also heard today on the radio (Steve Loyd) say that White took a pretty big hit last week (charley horse) & may not be able to play anyway. I wonder if he will miss his third development camp because of the injury. :shakehead

My guess would be that he signs an ECL & gets into one game for a shift or two & then we don't see him again until development camp this summer. Or if he can't play due to this injury he signs his ECL & we don't see him until development camp. I'm not sure there is any benefit for him to go to Bingo to finish the season unless the team specifically wants him to play but if he is injured he won't be going anywhere. I would also guess that he along with Chabot would be one of the last cuts from TC next season & maybe play a few NHL games to start the yr but will eventually be sent down to Bellville & both be injury callups, if playing well. I don't think either will make the NHL team on a permanent basis based on the numbers next season, I think they both play in Bellville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad