OT: 2015-2016 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Off-Season

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
According to 1290 Matt Nichols has been extended through next season.

Good move you can always cut him if you find something better, some experience in the backup can't hurt.

You can count on most of his base salary being guaranteed by the start of training camp. Can't see him signing this early without that guarantee.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It's a twoway street though. If NHL worked that way (and NFL would be more apt comparaison) then you will get holdouts and the like. Even then players are treated like cattle in NFL, so much prefer NHL system as it protects the players.

Sorry, the good players protect themselves. The ones wasting a team's money just use this as a shield. Nobody, NOBODY, should have the ability to collect their pay while not doing their job. And yes, it is management's right to determine if they are worth the money being paid. Management is where the accountability rests, and there is no NHLGMA to fall back on when they get turfed for making the wrong decisions.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I know it's bad form to reply to yourself, but I'll soften my POV a bit. First of all, it's unrealistic to think guaranteed contracts are going away. I would just like to see a system that doesn't so heavily favour the players. Poorly performing players (and I'm talking extended periods) hurt the team, and the league and the fans. There should be a less punitive option to the team than contract buyouts.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
whats the point of asking or negotiating a bonus if teams are gonna cut players who sign for them....seems like a kiss of death for players along in their years.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'll be extremely disappointed if the Bombers do not sign Weston Dressler.

Why? Dressler will be 31 before the start of the season, he has slowed down and his play diminished in the past few seasons, he's tiny, not a guy you waste an import (international) roster spot on!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Why? Dressler will be 31 before the start of the season, he has slowed down and his play diminished in the past few seasons, he's tiny, not a guy you waste an import (international) roster spot on!

That's what Huf has done well in CAL is release vets as they get old and replace them with younger and cheaper options. That takes great scouting down south tho. We usually pick up those guys once their past their prime ie: Picard. Dressler would be the same I think. INT WR's shouldn't that hard to find, there are many out there coming outve college, we just need to find them.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
The people who profess to be in the know are saying the Bombers are pursuing both Dressler and Chick. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bombers overpay for both and continue their love affair with the lower portions of the bell curve. In other words, lose players before their prime, and snap them up afterward.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Do not need guys like Chick or Dressler, especially for what they'll be looking for in contract.

Buono has been doing this kind of stuff for years, move out expensive guys on the downward side of the curve. Guys like this aren't hard to replace.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd argue they need Dressler. Give Willy a guy that (a) he knows somewhat from his days with the Riders and (b) get a damn good WR. Adams, Moore and Dressler? Good luck.

You certainly aren't winning games with defense so may as well spend a bit on offense.

Both guys are still worth whatever they're gonna get, Sasky obviously just wants to rebuild, hence the cleansing of those two and Brackenridge.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'd argue they need Dressler. Give Willy a guy that (a) he knows somewhat from his days with the Riders and (b) get a damn good WR. Adams, Moore and Dressler? Good luck.

You certainly aren't winning games with defense so may as well spend a bit on offense.

Both guys are still worth whatever they're gonna get, Sasky obviously just wants to rebuild, hence the cleansing of those two and Brackenridge.

Sasky needs to rebuild, and we don't? Sasky smart. Winny, not so much.

And if the Bombers sign both Moore and Dressler, I will let my hair grow out again so I have something to pull out. :rant:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Sasky needs to rebuild, and we don't? Sasky smart. Winny, not so much.

And if the Bombers sign both Moore and Dressler, I will let my hair grow out again so I have something to pull out. :rant:

How do you rebuild? You've got a quarterback, you try to improve your Canadians, you gotta win now. 90% of the guys on your roster won't be in pro football in 3 years. You can't build too long.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Dressler is still one of the best recievers in the league. The guy catches everything thrown in a 15 foot radius of him.

Buuuuut it costs money to put a good team on the field, and we know how the debt crippled Bombers like to do that.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Dressler is still one of the best recievers in the league. The guy catches everything thrown in a 15 foot radius of him.

Buuuuut it costs money to put a good team on the field, and we know how the debt crippled Bombers like to do that.

The difference between the salary floor and cap is less than $400,000. The teams in the CFL are all spending the same amount for players.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'd take Dressler but Chick is probably too old and not really a priority needs-wise.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Yeah it's not like the Bombers went out and signed the #1 most FA last offseason or anything Stanley Bryant. They would never spend money. Or adding the best receiver of the past 5 years to hit the FA market in Nick Moore, they'd never go after those guys.

Sigh, only way you could think the Bombers were cheap if you haven't seen a single thing since Joe Mack was put out on his ass.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Yeah it's not like the Bombers went out and signed the #1 most FA last offseason or anything Stanley Bryant. They would never spend money. Or adding the best receiver of the past 5 years to hit the FA market in Nick Moore, they'd never go after those guys.

Sigh, only way you could think the Bombers were cheap if you haven't seen a single thing since Joe Mack was put out on his ass.

I seen the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad