OT: 2015-2016 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Off-Season

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Blue Bombers will use their 5th different starting QB tonight, the second most in a single season in team history. Dominique Davis gets the start.

Player|Games|Games Played|Start|Start Record|Comp|Att|Comp%|Yards|TD|INT|Rate
Drew Willy|7|7|7|3-4|107|156|68.6|1434|8|3|106.6
Brian Brohm|18|7|1|0-1|51|84|60.7|453|0|4|55.3
Robert Marve|9|3|2|0-2|34|55|61.8|346|1|4|55.6
Matt Nichols|9|8|7|2-5|148|247|59.9|1734|10|7|83.2
Dominique Davis|11|1|1|0-1|16|25|64.0|169|0|0|0

Last edited:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Well let's see how Davis is at QB and seeya to Liam Hallalalooba.

also good riddance to CFL football at the Rogers Centre/Skydome. About time.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Weird that Nichols has such a solid statline despite being as dumb as ****ing bricks.

I wouldn't call that solid. I'd call it very mediocre. Which what he is. Among QB's that have thrown more than 100 pass attempts his 83.2 rating in Winnipeg puts him at 14th in the league. Out of 14. It falls to 79 rating when you include time in Edmonton.

Rookie QB has first pass attempt is delivered right on the mark way down the field and Adams whiffs on the catch. Story of the Bombers season. If it's not one thing it's the other.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Wha ha ha, Dave Stala two TD's tonight. What is he, like 50?

Bring back Joe Pop!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Holy **** I just remembered how much I hate the no yards penalty. Talk about the most random judgment penalty of all time.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's like 5/6 times Davis hasn't kept his eyes downfield and runs out of bounds after a 1-2 yard gain on second and long. So frustrating. He has had a flash or two and hasn't made any big mistakes I guess. We'll see I'm sure Davis will be back in camp next year.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Another season in the books. Please fire Bellefeuille, preferably before the end of the weekend so they can start fumigating all of the suck out of his office.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Compared to what? You've been a pretty strong supporter of the Bomber organisation from what I've read, you think they misjudged the market that much? That's a pretty big failing for people whose job it is to know their audience.

A game of this calibre should not be hard to sell out, the tickets are not overpriced, the team and the league have done a poor job marketing the value of the game imo.

The tickets are the highest average price in league history. Corner upper deck and lower endzone seats for $299. Upper deck seats at the goal line for $399. Temporary seats for $199 with no discounts.

The organizing committee and Wade Miller severely misjudged the market. They learned absolutely nothing from Vancouver last year - another Grey Cup with over-priced seats - which had 7-10,000 unsold seats in the weeks leading up to the Grey Cup, and had to resort to massive discounts and giveaways to rid themselves of inventory...and even then they were 3000 or so short of a sellout. This in a city nearly 3 times the size of Winnipeg, with a climate-controlled dome stadium, a large inventory of hotels (meaning less gouging) and a team with some recent success.

If Vancouver couldn't come close to a legit sellout under those favorable conditions, what chance does Winnipeg have given:

1)the highest average ticket prices in league history
2)worst team in the league in the last 7 years
3)lack of hotels compared to all but Hamilton and Regina, meaning gouging of any potential out-of-town fans will take place depressing ticket sales to those from out-of-province.
4)outdoor game at the end of November - not exactly enticing to many folks, especially with the home team having no shot at the big game.

Not much chance of a legit sellout although I am sure it will be a sellout given all the discounts I have heard are being given and the giveaways that will most likely be offered to the military, volunteers and various charitable organizations over the coming weeks. Bombers have sold just over 32,000 tickets with 3 weeks to go. Still 4500 tickets to sell/give away.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The tickets are the highest average price in league history. Corner upper deck and lower endzone seats for $299. Upper deck seats at the goal line for $399. Temporary seats for $199 with no discounts.

The organizing committee and Wade Miller severely misjudged the market. They learned absolutely nothing from Vancouver last year - another Grey Cup with over-priced seats - which had 7-10,000 unsold seats in the weeks leading up to the Grey Cup, and had to resort to massive discounts and giveaways to rid themselves of inventory...and even then they were 3000 or so short of a sellout. This in a city nearly 3 times the size of Winnipeg, with a climate-controlled dome stadium, a large inventory of hotels (meaning less gouging) and a team with some recent success.

If Vancouver couldn't come close to a legit sellout under those favorable conditions, what chance does Winnipeg have given:

1)the highest average ticket prices in league history
2)worst team in the league in the last 7 years
3)lack of hotels compared to all but Hamilton and Regina, meaning gouging of any potential out-of-town fans will take place depressing ticket sales to those from out-of-province.
4)outdoor game at the end of November - not exactly enticing to many folks, especially with the home team having no shot at the big game.

Not much chance of a legit sellout although I am sure it will be a sellout given all the discounts I have heard are being given and the giveaways that will most likely be offered to the military, volunteers and various charitable organizations over the coming weeks. Bombers have sold just over 32,000 tickets with 3 weeks to go. Still 4500 tickets to sell/give away.

Average ticket price is about $20 higher than 2013 but the premium, season ticket holder seating is less by about $35. 2014 isn't a good comparison, because, A. It was in Vancouver and Vancouver is historically apathetic to the the game, and B. It was in the city just 3 years previous, that is usually a recipe for disaster.

Also, the club works in conjunction with the league to set ticket prices, the team doesn't do it entirely independently. That accounts for a lot of allegedly stupid people. Winnipeg can afford this game but the club and the league have done a **** job marketing it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You have no idea...people in Ottawa are on cloud 9. Two seasons and they're hosting the East Final. Huge success story for the CFL.

I saw a couple of guys I know who moved to Ottawa about 14 years ago now from Brandon and they are both wearing Red Blacks toques and are sporting beaming smiles on Facebook. Impressive what they have done in two seasons.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I saw a couple of guys I know who moved to Ottawa about 14 years ago now from Brandon and they are both wearing Red Blacks toques and are sporting beaming smiles on Facebook. Impressive what they have done in two seasons.

I'm almost more of a stamps fan then a bomber fan now. Almost.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Average ticket price is about $20 higher than 2013 but the premium, season ticket holder seating is less by about $35. 2014 isn't a good comparison, because, A. It was in Vancouver and Vancouver is historically apathetic to the the game, and B. It was in the city just 3 years previous, that is usually a recipe for disaster.

Also, the club works in conjunction with the league to set ticket prices, the team doesn't do it entirely independently. That accounts for a lot of allegedly stupid people. Winnipeg can afford this game but the club and the league have done a **** job marketing it.

I've seen marketing of the game everywhere. That's not the reason they are struggling to sell out the Grey Cup. The prices are the reason.

Back in 2005 and 2011 Vancouver easily sold out the Grey Cup well in advance of the game itself. Want to know why? Because the prices were reasonable. Having a 3 year gap between Grey Cups (2011 to 2014) probably factors in somewhat, but increasing prices by a substantial amount factors in even more. Lions were charging $375 or so for an upper deck ticket at the goal line last year. Upper Deck endzone seats sold for $175. Those outrageous prices are the reason for the poor turnout.

2013 would also be over-priced but for a few factors working to the league's and Regina's advantage. The Riders were coming off an unprecedented run over the previous 6 seasons of 5 playoff appearances, 1 Grey Cup and 3 Grey Cup appearances. They had come off a respectable 10-8 season after the disastrous 2011 season and appeared to be building towards contender status. They also had 27,000 season ticket holders pretty much all of which took the team up on their offer for discounts for the Grey Cup game. With all those factors to their advantage, it's no wonder the Riders sold out the Grey Cup despite inflated prices.

The Bombers on the other hand had seen their season ticket base decrease to this year's 21,000 or so. Being a season ticketholder apparently wasn't enough to get the discount for the Grey Cup though. Not according to the Bomber organization. No, you had to purchase a 3-year commitment. I suspect many current season ticketholders opted not to do that and thus, did not get the discount on the Grey Cup game inflating the overall average ticket price. It should also be noted that the Bombers did not offer a season ticketholder discount on those temp seats unlike Regina which probably factors into all the seats still available there.

The team was also coming off of one of the worst stretches in team history missing the playoffs in 5 of the previous 6 years. This surely effects the goodwill of the local populace and their reluctance to part with hard-earned money for a game that will be played in sub-zero temperatures and was very unlikely to feature the home team even at the beginning of the season.

The Bombers bear responsibility for the ticket prices. The onus cannot be put on the league. And I would bet that the Bomber organization originated the idea of only giving discounts to those with 3-year commitments - something that have never been contemplated before in league history. I very much doubt the league had any say in that particular matter.

Not sure where you are getting your ticket price averages from.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Price isn't the problem, it's interest, and the first has nothing to do with the second.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Price isn't the problem, it's interest, and the first has nothing to do with the second.

Disagree with that completely. At more reasonably priced they would have no trouble selling it. I'd love to go but it's just too expensive. Lots of people I've talked to feel the same way.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Disagree with that completely. At more reasonably priced they would have no trouble selling it. I'd love to go but it's just too expensive. Lots of people I've talked to feel the same way.

Fair enough but they only need 35,000 people to afford it, that shouldn't be hard. If the Grey Cup doesn't have that kind of value, it's not the Bombers problem. A national championship game in professional sports should be worth $350 to enough people. I don't understand people's valuation of the game and what it's based on, other than their own personal situation.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Fair enough but they only need 35,000 people to afford it, that shouldn't be hard. If the Grey Cup doesn't have that kind of value, it's not the Bombers problem. A national championship game in professional sports should be worth $350 to enough people. I don't understand people's valuation of the game and what it's based on, other than their own personal situation.

Bombers aren't in it. Riders aren't in it. And it's cold as ****.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, the price is just too much, for that weather, for a game that is celebrating another team winning. I originally booked off the Monday after thinking I was grabbibg tickets, but when I saw the price, I quickly changed my tune.

Im not even giving the outdoor Jets game a consideration for similar reasons related to the cold I picture that game happening in.

Im also very jealous of those Ottawa fans, those games look really fun to be at, when you see em on tv.

Derfel*

I'm almost more of a stamps fan then a bomber fan now. Almost.

What? BLASPHEMY!

(But yeah, I'm almost there myself and I moved mid-season!)

I don't think it's time to fire O'Shea - one more season for him I think.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

It's a poor value proposition to many people across the country. It also costs more than $350 for those who live outside the Winnipeg Region. With increased demand during Grey Cup week and a limited number of flights and hotels in Winnipeg compared to any other city except Regina and Hamilton, the prices are prohibitive to many people.

Let's say a couple decides to attend the Grey Cup and all the festivities that go along with it:

2 tickets = $700
4 nights accommodations (Thurs - Sun) at $250 per night at a half-decent hotel = $1000
airfare = $1500
entertainment (pass to all team functions and Grey Cup parties) + booze at team functions = $200 + $500 = $700
food = $500
souvenirs = $300

I'm probably being conservative, but it's probably close to $5000 for an out-of-town couple to attend the Grey Cup and all it's festivities over 4-days when you factor in all the costs. Not only are tickets really expensive, but so are the festivities and the alchohol at all these events. It's simply too expensive for the middle class couple anymore unless they don't want to have much of a social life for the remaining 11.5 months of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00