OT: 2015-2016 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Off-Season

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I have to admit, the flurry of activity has me excited for a Bomber season for the first time in a couple of years.

We sure have some pieces now. Whether we can win with them remains to be seen obviously. But the pieces are certainly there to make noise.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
My question will remain what about the QB's?

If Drew Willy goes down we have the same back up we had last year.
Despite the great adds we've seen here we'll potentially be at the mercy of our QB depth. The whole season could be up in smoke with one bad tackle.

So many guys have bounced around teams that could have been a much better band aid than our development crew.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good season finally.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
My question will remain what about the QB's?

If Drew Willy goes down we have the same back up we had last year.
Despite the great adds we've seen here we'll potentially be at the mercy of our QB depth. The whole season could be up in smoke with one bad tackle.

So many guys have bounced around teams that could have been a much better band aid than our development crew.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good season finally.

Nichols is a decent back up- not great, but serviceable if needed
We got rid of our useless OC and improved both at receiver and running back
Yes our OL is not the best but having all these adds sure points to a better offense and Qb that should be able to remain healthy- knock on wood

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
i posted my Bomber whining in the wrong thread. tell me why I'm wrong.

Walters is a joke. Bragging about all the money he is spending on scouts and American camps and he found what? 2 decent players last year? Can't even find an American RB or receiver which are supposed to be the easy finds. Great we get to over pay on CFL free agents like Chevon Walker and Darvin Adams. He couldn't find a back up better than Brohm for 2 years. Now he's building the shortest receiving core ever assembled through CFL free agency. Free agency, that's how you build teams, said no one ever.

I guess we are still waiting for the dream of all his CIS knowledge to develop. One Canadian starter he's drafted if we play fast and loose with that term. Let's give him another high five for getting rid of this years first rounder for Wagoner, who ever the F he is. Just like when he was an assistant GM and he took Poblah in the supplemental draft for a 1st which was bad enough to give that pick away but what's worse is they could have had Ted Laurant with a 2nd!

Fire Walters now!

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Yes our OL is not the best but having all these adds sure points to a better offense and Qb that should be able to remain healthy- knock on wood

Great, an over paid running back Vs. his dime a dozen American counter parts and a tiny over paid receiver on the decline. Take that money and spend it on Laurant a Canadian at the top of his game in a position that is difficult to fill.

Of course Walters hasn't been able to find any of thes dime a dozen WR and RBs with all his scout and camps he's bragged about paying for. I guess building an over paid under sized WR core is all you can do.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
i posted my Bomber whining in the wrong thread. tell me why I'm wrong.

Walters is a joke. Bragging about all the money he is spending on scouts and American camps and he found what? 2 decent players last year? Can't even find an American RB or receiver which are supposed to be the easy finds. Great we get to over pay on CFL free agents like Chevon Walker and Darvin Adams. He couldn't find a back up better than Brohm for 2 years. Now he's building the shortest receiving core ever assembled through CFL free agency. Free agency, that's how you build teams, said no one ever.

I guess we are still waiting for the dream of all his CIS knowledge to develop. One Canadian starter he's drafted if we play fast and loose with that term. Let's give him another high five for getting rid of this years first rounder for Wagoner, who ever the F he is. Just like when he was an assistant GM and he took Poblah in the supplemental draft for a 1st which was bad enough to give that pick away but what's worse is they could have had Ted Laurant with a 2nd!

Fire Walters now!

Just saying that most of your angst falls on the scouts inability to find talent. I also don't believe you know what you're talking about because he has never beagged about spending money in free agency. In fact in an interview prior to free agency he said their goal was to get better at finding better American players through scouting.
They say you can't build teams through free agency but when was the last time free agency had this many big names? The team signed 2 1000 yard receivers and a running back who almost had 2000 all purpose yards, 2 Canadian defensive tackles (for a bargain compared to Ted Laurent) and a former all star Canadian OL. That's pretty good in my eyes.

Oh yeah and Garrett Waggoner could start at safety for us this year. Plus we have pick 9 and 10.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I do like these other changes but if Willy goes down for the season in July or August. I would hate to be having similar conversations that we don't have another QB who can win games.

I'll hope for the best with Nichols but we've been dealing with QB depth issues for so long. Wishing for a different headline this year.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Just saying that most of your angst falls on the scouts inability to find talent. I also don't believe you know what you're talking about because he has never beagged about spending money in free agency. In fact in an interview prior to free agency he said their goal was to get better at finding better American players through scouting.
They say you can't build teams through free agency but when was the last time free agency had this many big names? The team signed 2 1000 yard receivers and a running back who almost had 2000 all purpose yards, 2 Canadian defensive tackles (for a bargain compared to Ted Laurent) and a former all star Canadian OL. That's pretty good in my eyes.

Oh yeah and Garrett Waggoner could start at safety for us this year. Plus we have pick 9 and 10.

My fault, I wasn't clear. He is what I said:

Bragging about all the money he is spending on scouts and American camps and he found what? 2 decent players last year? Can't even find an American RB or receiver which are supposed to be the easy finds. Great we get to over pay on CFL free agents like Chevon Walker and Darvin Adams. He couldn't find a back up better than Brohm for 2 years. Now he's building the shortest receiving core ever assembled through CFL free agency. Free agency, that's how you build teams, said no one ever.

Meaning he said he was going to spend a bunch of cash in scouting and development camps because stupid Joe Mack never did. Of course even Joe Mack had no problems finding Americans outside of the O line. I'm using Joe Mack as the low water level here. But Walters has failed miserably with the money invested in scouts and camps. So now Walters is over spending in CFL free agency to cover that which is another horrible misuse of money.

Dresser is #1 redundant with Denmark already here #2 overpaid #3 replaceable #4 the signing of Smith makes this receiving corps a bunch of smurfs.

Great, a maybe FS for a 1st overall? :handclap: Walters gas no clue.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Haven't followed much the last couple years, isn't one of them, if not both pretty decent?

Yea...Denmark especially. Turner is pretty good too. I'm not sure that our receiver core is really strong enough to lose Denmark at this point and I hardly think that Dresser can replace both Denmark AND Moore.

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
My guess both were cut for cap reasons. Denmark is a solid player but overpaid 180k for a 800-1000 yard consistent receiver is too much. Turner had a down year and getting two Canadians on the d-line plus his cap hit didn't help his chances. I wish them all the best in the future though, they both had some really great moments for the Blue & Gold. Now let us hope the scouting department can find a really good receiver.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Turner was really bad last year and he averages 11 games played per season throughout his career.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yea...Denmark especially. Turner is pretty good too. I'm not sure that our receiver core is really strong enough to Denmark at this point and I hardly think that Dresser can replace both Denmark AND Moore.

Don't worry, they'll still have 12 players on the field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad