2015-2016 WHL Regular Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Royals just beat Lethbridge, Calgary, Kelowna and Portland recently. They are the real deal. I think serious run in the playoffs is coming. Going to see them play Everett tomorrow...

I love how they elevated their game since Hicketts came back form the WJC...they have found another gear..its really encouraging..

The way Victoria is playing, they have to be the favorites to come out of the west, but two things.

1) Their style of play doesn't tailor itself to playoff hockey. They will have to deal with the clutch and grab hockey that will slow them down. I don't think this is that big of an issue though.

2) Are they peaking too early? Maybe, this could get them a divisional banner though.

buchleafs7717

Feb 11, 2016
Lethbridge won 7-4 against Saskatoon without estaphan gutierrez and kroeker arvin atwal played right wing on the top line and scored a goal burke had 4 points wong had 3 points and nielsen had 2 goals hopefully this sparks our offense

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The video evidence suggests otherwise. The rink is not nearly full. The paid attendance is what it is but I'm talking actual butts in the seats.

The video evidence is wrong. I have been to 12 games this year. A lot of people like to sit up higher at Save On Foods Memorial centre so u can see the whole ice surface. Just because you saw 10% of the rink during a 30 second video clip does not give you the whole picture.

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The way Victoria is playing, they have to be the favorites to come out of the west, but two things.

1) Their style of play doesn't tailor itself to playoff hockey. They will have to deal with the clutch and grab hockey that will slow them down. I don't think this is that big of an issue though.

2) Are they peaking too early? Maybe, this could get them a divisional banner though.

I think your questions are valid ones. In regards to 1, its my bigger concern of the 2, they get hooked, held and dragged down quite a bit...

In regards to point 2, young teams that have great regular seasons often flop in their first playoff appearance, but I think Lowry will have them prepared to take things one game at a time and really not get caught up in the bigger picture. They are a disciplined bunch.

First place would be crucial because it means no Prince George and no 14 hour bus rides to the north for round 1 of the playoffs. That would be huge for us I think.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I think your questions are valid ones. In regards to 1, its my bigger concern of the 2, they get hooked, held and dragged down quite a bit...

In regards to point 2, young teams that have great regular seasons often flop in their first playoff appearance, but I think Lowry will have them prepared to take things one game at a time and really not get caught up in the bigger picture. They are a disciplined bunch.

First place would be crucial because it means no Prince George and no 14 hour bus rides to the north for round 1 of the playoffs. That would be huge for us I think.

That travel. After seeing Kelowna twice this weekend, whoever PG draws in the first round is gonna be a battle.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
PG vs Kelowna

That travel. After seeing Kelowna twice this weekend, whoever PG draws in the first round is gonna be a battle.

I watched both games this weekend. PG dominated Kelowna for large parts of both games and especially in Game 1. Out shot them in both games. Kelowna did come on late in Game 1 and scored the eventual game tieing goal late but PG should have had a two goal lead on many chances before that. Basically let Kelowna hang around.

I was expecting more of a push back from PG in Game 2 when they got down two goals in GM#2. Kelowna did a great job of holding on to two goal lead. Bottom line Kelowna knows how to win and PG is still figuring it out.

That being said Kelowna is not the team they where last year and as I have said many times West is wide open this year.

VIctoria lost twice over the weekend. Seattle beat them again and have been a real nemesis for them. Victoria had six power plays and failed to score on the number 1 penalty kill team in the league. Im shocked that Seattle does not have a better record. Basically the opposite of Kelowna who have proved they can close out close games.

Hordichuk_24

The video evidence is wrong. I have been to 12 games this year. A lot of people like to sit up higher at Save On Foods Memorial centre so u can see the whole ice surface. Just because you saw 10% of the rink during a 30 second video clip does not give you the whole picture.

I've been to the rink as well. A number of times. And it isn't close to being full on most nights. Attendance has gotten worse every year in Victoria since the team moved. That isn't intended to be a bad reflection on Victoria or the fans. More on the league and product on the ice.

SaskaToba

Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Since you can't sort stats on the WHL site I thought this was a nice way to look at who is leading in points per game this season so far:

MJ C Brayden Point 1.97 PPG — TB, 3rd round, 2014 — 1996 born
BDN RW Jayce Hawryluk 1.63 PPG — FLA, 2nd round, 2014 — 1996 born
MJ LW Dryden Hunt 1.60 PPG — undrafted — 1995 born
REG C Adam Brooks 1.59 PPG — undrafted — 1996 born
LET LW Brayden Burke 1.52 PPG — Draft eligible 2016 — 1997 born
SEA C Mathew Barzal 1.52 PPG — NYI, 1st round, 2015 — 1997 born
RD LW Adam Helewka 1.46 PPG — SJ, 4th round, 2015 — 1995 born
KEL C Tyson Baillie 1.43 PPG — undrafted — 1995 born
TC C Parker Bowles 1.36 PPG — undrafted — 1995 born
PA RW Reid Gardiner 1.35 PPG — undrafted — 1996 born
BDN C Nolan Patrick 1.28 PPG — Draft eligible 2017 — 1998 born
SPO RW Kailer Yamamoto 1.28 PPG — Draft eligible 2017 - 1998 born
CGY D Travis Sanheim 1.27 PPG — PHI, 1st round, 2014 — 1996 born
RD C Luke Philp 1.27 PPG* — undrafted — 1995 born
RD LW Ivan Nikolishin 1.26 PPG — undrafted — 1996 born
LET C Giorgio Estephan 1.24 PPG — BUF, 6th round, 2015 — 1997 born

*Less than 30 games played

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Since you can't sort stats on the WHL site I thought this was a nice way to look at who is leading in points per game this season so far:

Nice work, in the future you can use whlstats.ca

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I've been to the rink as well. A number of times. And it isn't close to being full on most nights. Attendance has gotten worse every year in Victoria since the team moved. That isn't intended to be a bad reflection on Victoria or the fans. More on the league and product on the ice.

I'm not saying we're packing the place ever night, but saying the attendance is worse than in year 1 is pretty off-base. I'll need to see some numbers from a good source before I give any credibility to that one.

As for the product on the ice, there is no way on earth this Royals team is worse than the first Royals team.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I'm not saying we're packing the place ever night, but saying the attendance is worse than in year 1 is pretty off-base. I'll need to see some numbers from a good source before I give any credibility to that one.

As for the product on the ice, there is no way on earth this Royals team is worse than the first Royals team.

Here is the Royals attendance numbers since they moved. Down this year, seems to be dropping year to year (with the exception of last year).

Hordichuk_24

It isn't the team it's the product of the league. Most games are incredibly boring. Very vanilla like the NHL. The dub used to be very entertaining. A lot of scoring and very physical hockey. There is neither anymore.

Here is the Royals attendance numbers since they moved. Down this year, seems to be dropping year to year (with the exception of last year).

Thank you. I didn't have a direct link to support that but I knew it was dropping. It was very obvious, IMO.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011

I'm really surprised to see Yamamoto that high. Is there a chance he gets drafted?

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Big matchup in Lethbridge tonight as the Wheatkings and Hurricanes play for top spot in the East. Hopefully the Canes can break out of their recent slump.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

Well this surprises me...quite a bit...it doesn't feel that way going to games on a regular basis...I do expect big crowds for our payoff run...

As for the quality of the WHL overall I remain entertained, I have been a regular fan since 2009. I couldn't say how it contrasts to the 90's for example...

I know that in Victoria there were actually upset fans when the Salmon Kings left, I heard several people say it was still professional hockey and that is the minimum of what Victoria deserved. Some were really pining for Victoria to be the Canucks AHL team and were right turned off by the fact that did not happen.

A lot of people that first year came once and never returned, maybe that is an explanation for the year one aberration. Slowly but surely people are waring to them.

I have lived in Victoria since 2012, maybe some longer term residents have a better handle on it, if anyone else has thoughts, would love to hear them.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Big matchup in Lethbridge tonight as the Wheatkings and Hurricanes play for top spot in the East. Hopefully the Canes can break out of their recent slump.

That was a good game, saw parts of the third...wish I had seen more..

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I went to Salmon Kings games sometimes and they were, for the most part, sparsely attended (playoffs were the exception). I remember getting neutral zone seats on the glass many times for well under $10. Even the boxes weren't expensive.

Royals games are far better attended, in my experience, but seldom full whenever I go.

Given the lack of entertainment options on Vancouver Island including Victoria, it always strikes me as odd that Victoria has such difficulty drawing a full house on a Saturday night. The Nanaimo Clippers and Cowichan Valley Capitals seem to be relatively better draws despite a much lower quality of hockey. Victoria just doesn't strike me as much of a "hockey town"

Yes, I know, those teams have much smaller arenas, but also much smaller populations to draw from and it costs me less to drive from Duncan to Victoria to watch the Royals than it does for me to walk down the street to watch the Capitals. The only downside is the time it takes and, of course, an accident on the Malahat can become a huge problem if I have to work the next morning.

I'm stoked for the playoffs this year, though. This Royals team seems like it's the real deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad