2015-2016 WHL Regular Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Rockets announce Jackson Whistle is done for the year (and his junior career). Tough loss for the Rockets after they already lost Merkley just a couple weeks ago. Herringer has been a decent replacement, but has definite weaknesses that can be exploited by a good team.
Down to two 20 year olds too, which puts them at a disadvantage. Almost wonder if they might try and snag someone from Jr. A or something if someone isn't getting any scholarship offers or has already played major junior.

Canadian82

Dec 28, 2015
Rockets announce Jackson Whistle is done for the year (and his junior career). Tough loss for the Rockets after they already lost Merkley just a couple weeks ago. Herringer has been a decent replacement, but has definite weaknesses that can be exploited by a good team.
Down to two 20 year olds too, which puts them at a disadvantage. Almost wonder if they might try and snag someone from Jr. A or something if someone isn't getting any scholarship offers or has already played major junior.

From what I've hear is once the trade deadline is done and over with the overagers are set in stone even in the event of injury like whistle so if that holds true Kelowna is stuck with 2 20 year olds for the rest of the year

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
so Who is the mvp this year? Adam brooks? Dryden hunt? anyone Else?
Really interesting question the best teams in the league ( Victoria, Brandon and Lethbridge) are all sort of score by committee teams. If they pick a scorer Dryden Hunt would get it I bet but maybe they go defence and Provorov gets it.

Moveslikejagr247

Mar 8, 2015
Really interesting question the best teams in the league ( Victoria, Brandon and Lethbridge) are all sort of score by committee teams. If they pick a scorer Dryden Hunt would get it I bet but maybe they go defence and Provorov gets it.
Does brooks have a Chance? hunt Has point with him whereas brooks Has nobody

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Surprised nobody has said anything, the Giants are moving to the Langley Event Center. They're leaving the Pacific Coliseum.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Yeah Brooks actually could be the favorite Regina isn't exactly a top team but Brooks has been huge for them.First or second in league in the league who knows where the Pats would be without him. Must have slipped my mind.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Surprised nobody has said anything, the Giants are moving to the Langley Event Center. They're leaving the Pacific Coliseum.

Yea, it's not finalized, I believe it's just an idea. Lot's of logistics to work out.

Anyone who lives down there, would they be supported in Langley?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Have heard in just two separate occasions among fans around me tonight that the Cougars have tuned out Holick, hence their fall in the standings after Xmas. I have a friend on he team, but my buddy that knows him (better than me at least) hears what goes on, so going to get some insider info hopefully because this team has fallen off considerably.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

Yea, it's not finalized, I believe it's just an idea. Lot's of logistics to work out.

Very hard to say. They aren't really supported in Vancouver based on their lack of success over the past several years. A portion of the fan base does come from that area so it wouldn't be a stretch to think it could work. Many of the people in Vancouver aren't likely to drive out to Langley but with a much smaller venue and lower rent it makes a lot of sense for Toigo and the Giants.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Langley is pretty far from Vancouver..are they still called the Vancouver Giants?

Man, they are downsizing quite a bit if this happens...kind of a bummer..

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Have heard in just two separate occasions among fans around me tonight that the Cougars have tuned out Holick, hence their fall in the standings after Xmas. I have a friend on he team, but my buddy that knows him (better than me at least) hears what goes on, so going to get some insider info hopefully because this team has fallen off considerably.

Interesting. I want to believe you, there has to be a reason they dropped off so hard. I'm just not sure.

If this is the case, PG would do well to replace Hollick this off season (pending some crazy playoff run.) Afterall, Next year is THE year for them.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Interesting. I want to believe you, there has to be a reason they dropped off so hard. I'm just not sure.

If this is the case, PG would do well to replace Hollick this off season (pending some crazy playoff run.) Afterall, Next year is THE year for them.

A few people sitting around me have noticed the team doesn't respond to Hollick like they use to, we will see in the playoffs.

Curious as to why you think next year is the year for them. Cougars will be losing some key 20 year olds next year. Going to be hard to replace 40 goals and a top 2 defensemen. Although, hopefully a healthy Anderson helps ease that hole.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
A few people sitting around me have noticed the team doesn't respond to Hollick like they use to, we will see in the playoffs.

Curious as to why you think next year is the year for them. Cougars will be losing some key 20 year olds next year. Going to be hard to replace 40 goals and a top 2 defensemen. Although, hopefully a healthy Anderson helps ease that hole.

Next year is always been the year. Witala's production is easy enough replaced by another 20 yr old. And if your talking about Ruopp? he's not signed yet, and me thinks he will be back next year. CBJ doesn't really have any room in the AHL for him. He ould play ECHL i guess, but I REALLY hope they dont.

Next will be a load up year for the cougars, Wouldn't shock me at all if they made a trade or 2 to bring in a couple rentals as well.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016

Could be more of a team character thing than a coaching thing. A lot of oddball personalities on that roster including the likes of Morrison, Harkins, McBride and now a guy with a bad reputation in Gabrielle. I think teams need to factor in character as part of their overall evaluation and while the Cougars have had good success the last couple of years, I don't think they have the best reputation as individuals.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Next year is always been the year. Witala's production is easy enough replaced by another 20 yr old. And if your talking about Ruopp? he's not signed yet, and me thinks he will be back next year. CBJ doesn't really have any room in the AHL for him. He ould play ECHL i guess, but I REALLY hope they dont.

Next will be a load up year for the cougars, Wouldn't shock me at all if they made a trade or 2 to bring in a couple rentals as well.

We'll see about replacing 40 goals, I'll be happy to see it though.

And I'm talking about Carvalho - he's not big name but he plays tough minutes and I think is arguably our smartest defensemen. But like I said, Anderson will be healthy next year too, so that will likely be the replacement and I can live with that. Ruopp will be back for sure.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Could be more of a team character thing than a coaching thing. A lot of oddball personalities on that roster including the likes of Morrison, Harkins, McBride and now a guy with a bad reputation in Gabrielle. I think teams need to factor in character as part of their overall evaluation and while the Cougars have had good success the last couple of years, I don't think they have the best reputation as individuals.

I know two players that don't get along, but still have success together when on the ice. I don't think they're a huge tight-knit group where everyone gets along...every team, especially at this age have egotistical players.

I'd say the oddballs are definitely Gabrielle and Morrison to an extent, but he knows a decent chunk of guys that are from PG.

Hordichuk_24

Langley is pretty far from Vancouver..are they still called the Vancouver Giants?

They probably shouldn't. But I haven't heard anything about a name change. I think ideally they want to move to Surrey if/when a rink is built. In that case keeping Vancouver in their name would be more appropriate. So I don't think a change will happen unless it's clear Surrey won't be an option in the near future. They are downsizing but really they aren't. They basically play in an empty arena. 3 to 4k people a night. That would be close to a full rink in Langley. Any organization would rather play in a full rink than a more than half empty one.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Tough to say. Even though they're not in Vancouver proper, they still have a very large population to draw from by WHL standards. I was against the move at first, using the attendance problems with the NLL Stealth, but as was pointed out to me, Giants have a bigger profile, play a more popular sport and have much cheaper tickets. I can't see why getting 4000 per game in Langely would be a challenge.

I think they still would be. Langley is part of Metro Vancouver. If they moved to Abbotsford, which is not, then they would change the name.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Lethbridge destroys Red Deer 6-1 to continue their perfect record against them this year, and yet some think Red Deer will easily beat them quite easily in the playoffs. Make no mistake Red Deer is capable of beating us in the playoffs they are a good team but I doubt either team will win in a route.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
As good as they are this year, i think they are going to be even better next year. Made a point of watching there younger players and man they can play.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
Lethbridge destroys Red Deer 6-1 to continue their perfect record against them this year, and yet some think Red Deer will easily beat them quite easily in the playoffs. Make no mistake Red Deer is capable of beating us in the playoffs they are a good team but I doubt either team will win in a route.

script flipped tonight

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
As good as they are this year, i think they are going to be even better next year. Made a point of watching there younger players and man they can play.

Lethbridge? I think they'll be about the same. Some of their younger guys will surely take a step forward but they'll lose their best D in Nielsen to the AHL. They also have 6 other 96's on their roster right now and will need to cut that number in half throughout the offseason.

Wong likely goes nowhere. In losing Nielsen they'll need to keep Pankewicze as one of their 20's on the blueline. Sittler in net is basically gone 100% with Skinner in the cage. Dupperreault is gone. That leaves the last spot to a decision between Lindgren or Folk. But yeah, that means losing some pretty key players for them along with a solid group of 95's that they had this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad