2015-2016 WHL Regular Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Lethbridge? I think they'll be about the same. Some of their younger guys will surely take a step forward but they'll lose their best D in Nielsen to the AHL. They also have 6 other 96's on their roster right now and will need to cut that number in half throughout the offseason.

Wong likely goes nowhere. In losing Nielsen they'll need to keep Pankewicze as one of their 20's on the blueline. Sittler in net is basically gone 100% with Skinner in the cage. Dupperreault is gone. That leaves the last spot to a decision between Lindgren or Folk. But yeah, that means losing some pretty key players for them along with a solid group of 95's that they had this year.

I would be happy with another repeat of this season.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah had a bad feeling this was going to happen, didn't know Fleury was out yesterday and Red Deer was super motivated. Maybe their playoff series won't be a route but a 7 game series of routes. :laugh:

Red Deer ramped it up physically big time. Only one to answer the bell was 16 year old Davis. Skeoch where are you ??

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Tough to say. Even though they're not in Vancouver proper, they still have a very large population to draw from by WHL standards. I was against the move at first, using the attendance problems with the NLL Stealth, but as was pointed out to me, Giants have a bigger profile, play a more popular sport and have much cheaper tickets. I can't see why getting 4000 per game in Langely would be a challenge.

I think they still would be. Langley is part of Metro Vancouver. If they moved to Abbotsford, which is not, then they would change the name.

Getting 4000 people in the valley won't be an issue at all IMO.

There are probably more people to draw from south of the Fraser River than in Vancouver proper frankly.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Getting 4000 people in the valley won't be an issue at all IMO.

There are probably more people to draw from south of the Fraser River than in Vancouver proper frankly.

Im sure it's a bit of a hit to their Ego, but it's the right thing to do, unless they wanna build a whole new building in Surrey.

Hordichuk_24

Im sure it's a bit of a hit to their Ego, but it's the right thing to do, unless they wanna build a whole new building in Surrey.

That's what they want ideally. But it's proving to be more difficult than originally thought. Which is why this whole Langley thing has taken over. It's the next best option. The Giants don't want to renew their lease at the Coliseum. That would be a last resort situation. It costs Toigo a ton and he isn't making enough in return to justify it. In fact he's losing money to put it blunt.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Lorne Molleken given the boot in Vancouver. One has to think this opens the door for Mike Johnston.

Bonner fires another head coach before he leaves himself? Shocking!! At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Bonner annouces he's staying and takes over as head coach too....

...:sarcasm: (sorta).

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
When a team has a rotating door of coaches over a few years, the problem isn't the coaches.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Lorne Molleken given the boot in Vancouver. One has to think this opens the door for Mike Johnston.

Have to feel bad for a good hockey guy. If the Giants were healthy they would've been far better this season. Even with a constantly depleted lineup the Giants put together some pretty solid efforts this season. Surely not the coaches fault completely here. Missing their best player all season was just one part of an injury plagued roster.

Hordichuk_24

Unfortunately that was my first thought. I hate Mike Johnston and believe he would be an awful choice. But as much as Toigo loves him, Johnston is focused on the NHL. He doesn't really want the gig. I'm not saying it's impossible and he won't take it but at this point from what I hear someone else is the front runner. Someone with prior experience with the Giants.

Rocko604 said:
Bonner fires another head coach before he leaves himself? Shocking!! At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Bonner annouces he's staying and takes over as head coach too....

... (sorta).

Bonner had nothing to do with this.

SmartPuck said:
Have to feel bad for a good hockey guy. If the Giants were healthy they would've been far better this season. Even with a constantly depleted lineup the Giants put together some pretty solid efforts this season. Surely not the coaches fault completely here. Missing their best player all season was just one part of an injury plagued roster.

Agreed. If the Giants were more healthy they are easily a playoff team. When they were mostly healthy they were playing well and went on a bit of a winning streak. Hell, if they were in the Eastern Conference they probably make the playoffs despite all these injuries. It isn't fair to Lorne but it comes down to politics. When a new GM is brought in, he wants his own people. Since it was clear Molleken wasn't going to have both roles his fate was inevitable.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Unfortunately that was my first thought. I hate Mike Johnston and believe he would be an awful choice. But as much as Toigo loves him, Johnston is focused on the NHL. He doesn't really want the gig. I'm not saying it's impossible and he won't take it but at this point from what I hear someone else is the front runner. Someone with prior experience with the Giants.

Glen Hanlon, come on down!!!

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I can neither confirm or deny that. You said it, not me. I just provided the hint. ;)

Who knows it could change in time. But that is what I have been told.

I'll make sure the press spells your username correctly. :D

I remember Steve Ewen writing a piece before the Top Prospects Game about Hanlon keeping an eye on the whole GM situation.

And while on the subject of injuries, Vancouver has lost 19 one-goal games this season, 9 of which were lost in OT/SO. That is a lot of potential points they could have had. Hard to argue they wouldn't be a playoff team if they had less injuries or even better puck luck.

Hordichuk_24

I'll make sure the press spells your username correctly. :D

I remember Steve Ewen writing a piece before the Top Prospects Game about Hanlon keeping an eye on the whole GM situation.

Yeah, Ewen is hearing from some of the same sources I am. I have a few different ones as I'm sure he does too. But my Hanlon info isn't coming from that article. Hanlon has been in the mix for a while. Even last off season there was interest before Molleken was hired. Anyway we will find out soon enough. Maybe another wild card is in the mix too. Who knows? But my money is on him. Unless Johnston changes his mind. Or Toigo goes crazy and offers up NHL money to pay him. From what I hear it'll take the latter for him to be swayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad