Speculation: 2015/2016 TBL Roster, Rumors, and Speculation PART II

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
my brouwer reasoning if stamkos is gone is simple

callahan matches his play or close to it no more 30 point years or we move him

i think as said callahan can play the hero now i give him a lot of respect and credit for series one but now we surely need him against a team argue wise better in every category the one thing will say is our pk has been out of the world good and we are down to me our best by FAR pk player in stalman

guys like filppula and callahan need to do their jobs need to do their jobs better than ever before in order for us to continue this year

no excuses dont care who is injured why etc.. at this point with all the teams out if we don't win the cup we have really blew it imho

fair or unfair this team was kept together for one reason to win this cup now the competition and playing field is less than expected to be honest people need to rise up like killorn show they got that other level

callahan had two good playoffs imho first or acceptable playoffs

first 10 points in 20 games and 5 points in 12 games

but he has had 8 points in 25 games and now even worse 1 point in 5 games

that will not work give me a guy who competes with him he either goes full cally and becomes the guy we need or we need to move on with this experiment

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I do like Robert's idea about Brouwer but there are going to be a lot of moving parts this off-season, so I don't think that will happen now. Yzie has to figure out what to do with both Stammer and Drouin, plus if Stammer does leave, he may look to sign a replacement asap, so we don't know what will come at all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I do like Robert's idea about Brouwer but there are going to be a lot of moving parts this off-season, so I don't think that will happen now. Yzie has to figure out what to do with both Stammer and Drouin, plus if Stammer does leave, he may look to sign a replacement asap, so we don't know what will come at all.

Doubtful, this years UFA class is awful. Eriksson is the only decent player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
my brouwer reasoning if stamkos is gone is simple

callahan matches his play or close to it no more 30 point years or we move him

i think as said callahan can play the hero now i give him a lot of respect and credit for series one but now we surely need him against a team argue wise better in every category the one thing will say is our pk has been out of the world good and we are down to me our best by FAR pk player in stalman

guys like filppula and callahan need to do their jobs need to do their jobs better than ever before in order for us to continue this year

no excuses dont care who is injured why etc.. at this point with all the teams out if we don't win the cup we have really blew it imho

fair or unfair this team was kept together for one reason to win this cup now the competition and playing field is less than expected to be honest people need to rise up like killorn show they got that other level

callahan had two good playoffs imho first or acceptable playoffs

first 10 points in 20 games and 5 points in 12 games

but he has had 8 points in 25 games and now even worse 1 point in 5 games

that will not work give me a guy who competes with him he either goes full cally and becomes the guy we need or we need to move on with this experiment

As frustrating as Callahan is he's far less than Brouwer. The only thing Brouwer would have going for him is his contract would be better but he's the worse player.

Brouwer has a 0.48 regular season ppg average, Callahan has a 0.55. In the playoffs if you think Callahan disappears look at Brouwer. 0.24 ppg to Callahan 0.35, they both suck but Brouwer does way worse, his production drops in half.

Callahan is completely overpaid but is a better player, the only way it makes sense to bring in Brouwer is if we trade Callahan without retention and he's a cheaper replacement which isn't going to happen.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
As frustrating as Callahan is he's far less than Brouwer. The only thing Brouwer would have going for him is his contract would be better but he's the worse player.

Brouwer has a 0.48 regular season ppg average, Callahan has a 0.55. In the playoffs if you think Callahan disappears look at Brouwer. 0.24 ppg to Callahan 0.35, they both suck but Brouwer does way worse, his production drops in half.

Callahan is completely overpaid but is a better player, the only way it makes sense to bring in Brouwer is if we trade Callahan without retention and he's a cheaper replacement which isn't going to happen.

i believe in competition

right now its callahan or brown rw

bring in brouwer and one gets moved if they dont perform up to standards of expectations

dont see anyone ready for a bit etc.. just a thought i have

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
How about we just use that money on our own players until we have all our guys locked up and then use the extra money on a guy we need to put us over the top? Just a thought.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i believe in competition

right now its callahan or brown rw

bring in brouwer and one gets moved if they dont perform up to standards of expectations

dont see anyone ready for a bit etc.. just a thought i have

Brouwer would be a luxury and not a need, can't be wasting cap on that unless it's a 1 year deal which he won't sign. If we did bring in Brouwer it makes Brown a 4th liner, which he's better at but he can do an adequate job on the 3rd for a lot less than what Brouwer would get to play there. We also don't need more grinders we need scorers. Like I said if we move Callahan than Brouwer would be an ideal replacement but that isn't happening you should look for players who make more sense with the current make up of the team.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We like him as a player and a person but not for $10+ million. Basically, he's not worth ruining our cap structure for when he's so one dimensional and arguably doesn't fit our possession game any more. In an ideal world where we had an functioning power play he might be worth it though. There's just a lot of angst over what has become a grueling decision.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
We like him as a player and a person but not for $10+ million. Basically, he's not worth ruining our cap structure for when he's so one dimensional and arguably doesn't fit our possession game any more. In an ideal world where we had an functioning power play he might be worth it though. There's just a lot of angst over what has become a grueling decision.

This. We like Stamkos but we also like Kucherov, Hedman, Johnson, Palat, Drouin (as a player at least), and Bishop. We can't keep everybody but letting Stamkos go should enable us to keep everyone else in our core and possibly even give us the space to keep Killorn around for a while, make a move to shore up our defense or add another scoring forward, etc. Resigning Stamkos not only means losing a couple of our other core players but also immediately kills our cap flexibility which limits our ability to improve upon areas of weakness. It might be worth it if Stammer returns to pre-leg injury form (though even that is debatable considering the stagnant cap and the amount of other high-end talent on the team that would be lost) but that's a dubious possibility at best.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why don't some of you like Stamkos?

It's like a relationship, we weren't very desirable when we met (30th overall) we were a 7 and they were a 10 (1st overall). We began to improve ourselves to get closer to their level (improved finishes in the league and bringing in better players) while they remained a 10 early on (90+ point seasons). We had some ups and downs together (ECF to 28th worse in a short span). Now we have become the 10 (playoffs 3 straight years and a cup final) while they have become an 8 (injuries and declining production). We are at the point where we need to decide if this is who we want to marry ( long-term deal at big money till they're in the mid 30's) or walk away. We have other options who want us who are 10's (Hedman, Kucherov and Bishop) but we have been with the other so long and have had a great run (8 years, 3rd all time in points). We want to marry the 10 (60 goal season) we remember but are worried we'll be stuck with the 8 (below a ppg and playoff underachiever) they currently are. It's a tough decision to make but I think we need to go our separate ways.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I see. Thank you, guys. I guess I wasn't reading the posts the right way. Seemed like there was dislike for HIM, not his contract status.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
We like him, just don't think he's worth much more than what he's getting paid right now. Plus the team has shown they can effectively compete without him.

Apart from the first two games, the offense looked pretty brutal most of the time. The 3 goals in game 4 were on the PP (and we all know that's an anomaly) 5v5 was bad. And everyone know what happened the last game. All that against a pretty crappy Detroit team.

I think it's far from determined what this offense will look like without him.

This team is not built just to compete - it's built to win. I don't think many here think we can beat WAS/PIT with the unit playing tonight. If Stamkos leaves, we would need to add something significant for us to be where we need to.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Nobody hates Stamkos. Nobody even slightly dislikes him. But the money that is reported he is asking for his next contract is not worth it for TB. They can pay him that but not without seeing some other key players to our success leaving in the process. Kucherov, Johnson, Palat and Hedman have been our best players and then we talk Stamkos. We would rather keep those guys and let Stamkos walk if he is asking for 10 or more a year.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I see. Thank you, guys. I guess I wasn't reading the posts the right way. Seemed like there was dislike for HIM, not his contract status.

It comes out that way sometimes--same type of thing you saw from Avs fans around ROR and probably other guys that didn't end up signing. Fans get mad when one of their favorite players are on the cusp of pricing themselves out of town.

EDIT: ****, look at Callahan. People still take shots at him occasionally on the Rangers' board.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Apart from the first two games, the offense looked pretty brutal most of the time. The 3 goals in game 4 were on the PP (and we all know that's an anomaly) 5v5 was bad. And everyone know what happened the last game. All that against a pretty crappy Detroit team.

I think it's far from determined what this offense will look like without him.

This team is not built just to compete - it's built to win. I don't think many here think we can beat WAS/PIT with the unit playing tonight. If Stamkos leaves, we would need to add something significant for us to be where we need to.

They've scraped by without him, now imagine there was another player or two added into the mix with the salary he would command. We'll be fine

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I said it last year after we lost and a few times this year. We will not win a cup with sustr and carle on this team. I'll eat crow on sustr and say he's gotten better and improved since last year but Matt Carle is absolutely terrible. He can't shoot. He can't skate. He makes poor decisions. The list goes on. You have one bright moment from him like last year in the ECF that shocks the heck out of you like that open ice hit, then game 1 against the Isles, the pass to Kucherov, and then 20 minutes of garbage and -2 nights. Not rare, but common. I don't mind Coburn and Garrison not being able to produce points or match career highs, what I want is a dman capable of retrieving a puck without looking behind him for 5 seconds, COASTING and THEN deciding what to do with it. I can't wait til he's out of the league and an injury or some kind of problem is brought to everyone's attention with his legs or hips cause it's obvious the guy just can not move them rapidly. He gets slower every year. He's almost hit Brewer speed.

I will, and I don't care what anyone says, question whether I watch opening night or not if #25 is still on this team come October. We can win a cup, he can get the series clinching and cup clinching goals, I really don't care, tonight was THE last straw between disliking and despising a player. It's not even his contract...Nesterov has been horrible all year and that's regardless of his pay, it's the fact that at 1k, 1m or 5m the guy is simply terrible.

He took a stroll in front of Ben for the 1st, I'd blame Ben. Then he gets beat to a loose puck he has!!! It's his!!! And he's beaten!!!!!!! Ugh. Then he goes for a stroll on the 3rd. It's the same thing as last year in the playoffs and for 82 games the past two years. He is utter trash.

We really need KK to step up next year and grab a depth defenseman or move Nesterov cause he's slowly stepping his foot in the same boat as Carle. Sustr is better than him and I never thought that would happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I said it last year after we lost and a few times this year. We will not win a cup with sustr and carle on this team. I'll eat crow on sustr and say he's gotten better and improved since last year but Matt Carle is absolutely terrible. He can't shoot. He can't skate. He makes poor decisions. The list goes on. You have one bright moment from him like last year in the ECF that shocks the heck out of you like that open ice hit, then game 1 against the Isles, the pass to Kucherov, and then 20 minutes of garbage and -2 nights. Not rare, but common. I don't mind Coburn and Garrison not being able to produce points or match career highs, what I want is a dman capable of retrieving a puck without looking behind him for 5 seconds, COASTING and THEN deciding what to do with it. I can't wait til he's out of the league and an injury or some kind of problem is brought to everyone's attention with his legs or hips cause it's obvious the guy just can not move them rapidly. He gets slower every year. He's almost hit Brewer speed.

I will, and I don't care what anyone says, question whether I watch opening night or not if #25 is still on this team come October. We can win a cup, he can get the series clinching and cup clinching goals, I really don't care, tonight was THE last straw between disliking and despising a player. It's not even his contract...Nesterov has been horrible all year and that's regardless of his pay, it's the fact that at 1k, 1m or 5m the guy is simply terrible.

He took a stroll in front of Ben for the 1st, I'd blame Ben. Then he gets beat to a loose puck he has!!! It's his!!! And he's beaten!!!!!!! Ugh. Then he goes for a stroll on the 3rd. It's the same thing as last year in the playoffs and for 82 games the past two years. He is utter trash.

We really need KK to step up next year and grab a depth defenseman or move Nesterov cause he's slowly stepping his foot in the same boat as Carle. Sustr is better than him and I never thought that would happen.

I think we can win with them on the team. We just need to be willing to do what Quenville did last year with the Hawks' bottom pairing, when need be. Cooper hasn't shown a willingness to do that yet.

We can't contend with them playing 16+ minutes per night though. Although, to be fair, Hedman was doing his Nesterov impression tonight too.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I think we can win with them on the team. We just need to be willing to do what Quenville did last year with the Hawks' bottom pairing, when need be. Cooper hasn't shown a willingness to do that yet.

We can't contend with them playing 16+ minutes per night though. Although, to be fair, Hedman was doing his Nesterov impression tonight too.
But that's unthinkable. Cooper isn't Quenville in any regard and he won't do that to a player. How many times did he limit Carle's minutes? Less than 5? He would just scratch him at that point, which is basically why we need to tie him to a bench in Brooklyn should this see a game 5 so he doesn't have to make our eyes bleed anymore.

And yes, Hedman was awful tonight. Most people remember the last play which was him letting the puck out but terrible coverage on the 2nd and lazy, sloppy plays in our end all game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But that's unthinkable. Cooper isn't Quenville in any regard and he won't do that to a player. How many times did he limit Carle's minutes? Less than 5? He would just scratch him at that point, which is basically why we need to tie him to a bench in Brooklyn should this see a game 5 so he doesn't have to make our eyes bleed anymore.

And yes, Hedman was awful tonight. Most people remember the last play which was him letting the puck out but terrible coverage on the 2nd and lazy, sloppy plays in our end all game.

Yeah. I think we have to be willing to go with 4 D if that's what the situation calls for. There are weak links on every team. Chicago won a cup by not letting theirs break the chain.

Once we get Stralman back, and get everyone properly slotted, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carle's icetime drop back below 10 minutes again. He just didn't stand up well to the physicality tonight. With Hedman, I don't think that was the problem. I think he was just sloppy. He was worse last game, vs. Detroit. Maybe some remnants of the flu, I don't know.

I like our top-4 though. And with Coop's newfound willingness to play Hedman 25+ minutes, I think we might, might, might see that he learned from last year's mistakes.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yeah. I think we have to be willing to go with 4 D if that's what the situation calls for. There are weak links on every team. Chicago won a cup by not letting theirs break the chain.

Once we get Stralman back, and get everyone properly slotted, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carle's icetime drop back below 10 minutes again. He just didn't stand up well to the physicality tonight. With Hedman, I don't think that was the problem. I think he was just sloppy. He was worse last game, vs. Detroit. Maybe some remnants of the flu, I don't know.

I like our top-4 though. And with Coop's newfound willingness to play Hedman 25+ minutes, I think we might, might, might see that he learned from last year's mistakes.
I hope so. I think Hedman will shake it off but Carle simply cant, and until Stralman comes back, we are stuck feeding him minutes. At least toward the end of the reg season when his awfulness didn't grace the ice 15mins a game, he was making the simple play and doing better. Tonight was terrible. It's not his fault Bishop let in 4 but he certainly didn't do much on two to help him.

Trevor Van Riemsdyk was probably the worst defenseman for the hawks. Game 1 ot winner off the skate, passed across the ice batted down by Steen in game 5 (I think) led to a goal and a couple more giveaways that led to goals. All from him. Boyle is another declining defenseman that is scarred. I am pleased that Sustr improved this year. Imo not by miles but he did get better, more consistent at times, but Carle just kills me. Every time he steps on the ice, is a moment the other team relishes in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad