Speculation: 2015/2016 TBL Roster, Rumors, and Speculation PART II

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Matt Carle has been the bane of our existence for at least 3 full seasons now. Sustr I think still hasn't won everyone over but he's much better than last year (not great, but acceptable). Namestnikov still hasn't quite met expectations. Callahan's offense is grumbled about from time-to-time because of his cap hit, but he's been clutch on the PK lately and set up Killorn for the GWG against Detroit.

I won't ruin the surprise for you, but if you see someone saying what seems to be really outlandish about the talent of a player then they're probably trolling. Also, it might be a fun game now (b/c his name is different) to see if you can spot the ultimate Callafan.

Haha, thanks for the rundown. I'll keep an eye out

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Everyone needs that player. I'd be over the moon if we could get Matt Duchene or if Montreal finally ran Galchenyuk out of town for good.

This summer is definitely not the one to go spending on with regards to UFAs.
Some more than others and we'd be one of the others if 91 leaves. Replacing 40 goals and 20-30 assists, along with 5-10 playoff goals and a captain is a lot to just work through from within or without acquiring someone. Sure everyone can use another 25-30 goal guy but at that point it would become a necessity.

I was highly against getting Duchene back when he had a slow start and like 1 goal in 11 games or whatever, but now I will eat crow. Wouldn't mind him here. He'd probably gel with this team cause of the speed. Can't see the Avs parting ways but I'd welcome him here. Someone like that is what we will *need* if 91 leaves. Maybe not as high profile but along that line.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
That's a pretty weak center lineup without Stamkos, I wouldn't want to sign any C's from this upcoming UFA but that'd be a spot I'd target on filling in the future. If Johnson goes down the offensive talent of the other centers is abysmal.

The Callahan and Carle contracts need to be cleared. Not too worried on the Flip one, if Yzerman wanted to move Flip, there'd be takers.

see is always someone who agrees with me and gets it:)

and yes those are the unnamed albatrosses :) to be put bluntly all three can go

im also very much considering letting paquette go think hes hit his ceiling rather give his job to richard

blujus dont see on the team any time soon and for sure not long term

calahan is the guy can see us keeping longest so will have the time to right his ship so to speak but he really needs to do this

he was actually a hero in round one to be fair so as long as he keeps being a hero that will go far for him

i really like brouwer as a player and figure could get him for killers type of numbers

i want flipper to move so we add the right hand d guy hope in time to run the power play might have to add more but we should get something

and efore i hear the blujus is as good from hose or war? marchenko's hockey iq is wayyyy better to me and his shot is pretty good

also think if datsyuk is done a great place or a great move for us and detroit is filppula

he aint got to deal with idiot babcock and he would pretty much be the guy there for now

id trade filppula every day of week right now for alexey marchenko

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
see is always someone who agrees with me and gets it:)

and yes those are the unnamed albatrosses :) to be put bluntly all three can go

im also very much considering letting paquette go think hes hit his ceiling rather give his job to richard

blujus dont see on the team any time soon and for sure not long term

calahan is the guy can see us keeping longest so will have the time to right his ship so to speak but he really needs to do this

he was actually a hero in round one to be fair so as long as he keeps being a hero that will go far for him

i really like brouwer as a player and figure could get him for killers type of numbers

i want flipper to move so we add the right hand d guy hope in time to run the power play might have to add more but we should get something

and efore i hear the blujus is as good from hose or war? marchenko's hockey iq is wayyyy better to me and his shot is pretty good

also think if datsyuk is done a great place or a great move for us and detroit is filppula

he aint got to deal with idiot babcock and he would pretty much be the guy there for now

id trade filppula every day of week right now for alexey marchenko

Why would we trade Filpulla for Marchenko? A good 2/3rd liner for a bottom pair defender. Sure he's better than Blujus now but not by much and is two years older, no need in trading a asset with value for something we have almost ready in the system. Marchenko hasn't proven much more than Blujus either.

If we don't resign Stamkos than we need Filpulla, if we resign him than I can see Filpulla being expendable but would target futures so we don't have to take any cap back.

Who is this RD you want to bring in to run the PP and how are we going to acquire him. You keep saying you want someone but never name any names or what you would trade to acquire them. We have 5 defenders making 3.7 or more going into next season, we shouldn't be adding another high priced one even if Carle goes because Hedman is going to double his pay soon. We need some cheap contracts on the blueline and to me those next year should be Koekkoek and Sustr.

Paquette is fine if he is on the 4th line, Cooper is playing him above his talent level. I'd like to give Richard a look but I'd keep Paquette since he can replace Boyle at a small savings after next year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Bring on Brouwer and yandle hose!! Cup! Contenders not sure if
You have watched Brouwer play ? But he can go to the net and gets rebounds something
This team lacks!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bring on Brouwer and yandle hose!! Cup! Contenders not sure if
You have watched Brouwer play ? But he can go to the net and gets rebounds something
This team lacks!

Yeah that Yandle sure helped the Rangers go far. Killorn, Callahan, Brown and Paquette can all go to the net too. Neither player adds anything to the team we don't have, neither will be that cheap and neither are a need especially if we lose a 1C, not sure how a #3 defender and 3rd liner replace that.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
I still think Flip has better offense than he's shown this year, his first year was excellent (25 goals, almost 60 points), but something happened where he got completely neutered by Cooper.

He's been averse to shooting the puck going back to his Detroit days, has nothing to do with Cooper. He's a rich man's Purcell since he can at least contribute with good defense if he's not producing. Hopefully this is just a down year for him and Callahan, we're ****ed if we let Stamkos go and those two are hovering around 30 points again.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah that Yandle sure helped the Rangers go far. Killorn, Callahan, Brown and Paquette can all go to the net too. Neither player adds anything to the team we don't have, neither will be that cheap and neither are a need especially if we lose a 1C, not sure how a #3 defender and 3rd liner replace that.

So your for keeping Stamkos !

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He's been averse to shooting the puck going back to his Detroit days, has nothing to do with Cooper. He's a rich man's Purcell since he can at least contribute with good defense if he's not producing. Hopefully this is just a down year for him and Callahan, we're ****ed if we let Stamkos go and those two are hovering around 30 points again.

Yep we sure are screwed

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So your for keeping Stamkos !

At 8.5 yes, as much as I dislike him I'd keep him at that price anything over he has to go. We can keep Filpulla as our 3C another year then he has to go for Johnson raise and go cheap on the 3C with Namestnikov, Peca, Point or Stephens.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
At 8.5 yes, as much as I dislike him I'd keep him at that price anything over he has to go. We can keep Filpulla as our 3C another year then he has to go for Johnson raise and go cheap on the 3C with Namestnikov, Peca, Point or Stephens.

He is going to get paid 10 if he stays here

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I refuse to believe that Cally will be a 30 point player moving forward. You just don't go from a .70 to .40 player from season to season while still in your prime if there are not legitimate reasons. Not going to get into the excuses, but I am hoping after his heroics in the last playoff series, people are going to see when given the opportunity he will cash in on the scoresheet and in a big way. It is like do we believe Palat and Johnson will only be 40 point players moving forward? Hell no. I just think when our entire top 9 is down in production, or not where they should be, one player should not be singled out. Even Kucherov has the potential for more, but it was just that kind of season.

Please stop over-selling everything Cally does. It reads like you're writing advertisements for him. And it's slowly but surely turning me against him. The problem is I don't want to dislike Ryan Callahan. But I'm starting to because of these posts. :laugh: Please stop.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Please stop over-selling everything Cally does. It reads like you're writing advertisements for him. And it's slowly but surely turning me against him. The problem is I don't want to dislike Ryan Callahan. But I'm starting to because of these posts. :laugh: Please stop.

He has 9 points in 34 playoff games with us, NYR fans were right, he is a ghost.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Completely agree with all of this. However my frustration with Callahan's lack of scoring production is my quarrel. But I'll give the man his due for singlehandedly destroying the Detroit power play and setting up the game winner for Killorn. It's less than I'd like but it's not a goose egg and he busted it harder than anyone out there. He gets a pass because if he puts up about 3 more points he would've been a series MVP candidate with Bishop and Kucherov. Assume we come out on top in this Islanders series and Callahan bangs home a couple of goals I'll be more than satisfied.

I just can't be content knowing we're paying him $5.8 for none of his hard work to show on the scoreboard. I'm wishing him all the best as we move forward because when he's on the Lightning is on

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Completely agree with all of this. However my frustration with Callahan's lack of scoring production is my quarrel. But I'll give the man his due for singlehandedly destroying the Detroit power play and setting up the game winner for Killorn. It's less than I'd like but it's not a goose egg and he busted it harder than anyone out there. He gets a pass because if he puts up about 3 more points he would've been a series MVP candidate with Bishop and Kucherov. Assume we come out on top in this Islanders series and Callahan bangs home a couple of goals I'll be more than satisfied.

I just can't be content knowing we're paying him $5.8 for none of his hard work to show on the scoreboard. I'm wishing him all the best as we move forward because when he's on the Lightning is on
Agree with both. I'm a big Callahan fan, not as big as D2B of course, but I really like him but damn, you've got to score. I'll give him a pass for the pk and game 5 assist but he NEEDS to score this series. Like multiple times, he needs to step up. No amount of pk shows up on the scoreboard.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Pretty much. Callahan does have a few legitimately good qualities, but the problem with those qualities is that they can be found elsewhere across the league. At least, there are enough of the types out there that the demand for them doesn't equate to $5.8M on the cap hit.

Because, yes, he's a really good penalty killer! He's a good shot blocker. And he, in the past at least, has been an effective net front presence, especially on the power play. But when nearly $6M is tied up on the payroll, there's a demand for 5v5 point production. Ultimately, that's the most important quality in hockey. Callahan is pretty much an ideal 2nd or 3rd line winger; whichever you evaluate him to, neither of them merit such a high cost, because, obviously, it would stand to reason that, if he's making that much to play a non-premium role on the roster, then those playing premium roles would be even higher priced, in accordance (in a vacuum; just go with it).

I'm not trying to dog Callahan at all, either; it's just the reality of the situation. Having him on the payroll for four more seasons with a limited NMC (don't know if/when that expires) is inefficient and could cost the Lightning a very valuable piece as a result. Really wonder what cap-freeing moves, if any, Yzerman has up his sleeve this off-season. There's upward to $17M in inefficient investments, but $12M of that is going to be very difficult to dispose of.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I expect that Cally will only be here one more season, regardless of an NMC. It's just going to be too tough for the team to keep him moving forward unless we want to let go some really good, young talent. Flip is basically in the same boat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'm not even really talking about this stuff. I'm just saying, yeah, Cally had a GREAT third period in Game 5. But when you classify it as "heroics," my immediate response is to think, "well, that's a stretch," and then I wind up considering all the nights he wasn't even close to heroic. And I don't want to do that. :laugh:

I REALLY want to like Ryan Callahan. I was a huge fan when he came over. But every time I see a post describing how incredible some simple play Cally made in the neutral zone was like 80% responsible for a goal that was scored 35 seconds later, or sometimes wasn't scored at all, it makes it REALLY hard to like Callahan.

It's like, if I own a Toyota, and I'm okay with my Toyota, then fine. But if I see tons of Toyota ads on television that are telling me stuff about my Toyota that're either exaggerated or blatantly not true, pretty soon the only thing I'm gonna be able to think about are its flaws.

:laugh: Just saying. I'm having a very similar experience when I read about Ryan Callahan on these boards. I only think the guy is drastically underperforming when D2B tries to tell us how great he's been.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I expect that Cally will only be here one more season, regardless of an NMC. It's just going to be too tough for the team to keep him moving forward unless we want to let go some really good, young talent. Flip is basically in the same boat.

Cally needs more time than that. This was a down year for almost everyone and he in particular I think was just hit the hardest. Now granted he had about 65 stellar defensive games but probably only 15 to 20 stellar offensive games and the rest of the time he was taking bad shots hoping they'd go in. if we can't get more than 2 goals in 41 games out of him then yeah I'm inclined to agree. A strong playoff will wash that taste out of our mouth. We just gotta see it first.

Filppula I think is the most logical sell. It's been 2 years and he just looks lost now. I don't know what he would fetch in a trade but we can replace from within via Vladdy Namestnikov. But the biggest disadvantage of parting with Callahan is that there's no one who could really step into his role right away and do it as well. He's far and away our best penalty killer and crashes the net better as well as anyone. Given the Carle situation probably ending via buyout I don't think we can afford to buyout Callahan on top of it because that's about the only way he's leaving Tampa Bay for a couple more years given his NMC.

I'm optimistic Callahan will turn it around, but I'm in full agreement of moving on if needed but that's after a chance to redeem himself. For the price of Filppula and a Carle buyout we're looking at about an extra $7 million in space -about what it's gonna take to bring back Bishop.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not even really talking about this stuff. I'm just saying, yeah, Cally had a GREAT third period in Game 5. But when you classify it as "heroics," my immediate response is to think, "well, that's a stretch," and then I wind up considering all the nights he wasn't even close to heroic. And I don't want to do that. :laugh:

I REALLY want to like Ryan Callahan. I was a huge fan when he came over. But every time I see a post describing how incredible some simple play Cally made in the neutral zone was like 80% responsible for a goal that was scored 35 seconds later, or sometimes wasn't scored at all, it makes it REALLY hard to like Callahan.

It's like, if I own a Toyota, and I'm okay with my Toyota, then fine. But if I see tons of Toyota ads on television that are telling me stuff about my Toyota that're either exaggerated or blatantly not true, pretty soon the only thing I'm gonna be able to think about are its flaws.

:laugh: Just saying. I'm having a very similar experience when I read about Ryan Callahan on these boards. I only think the guy is drastically underperforming when D2B tries to tell us how great he's been.

lol I'm okay with it. It at least reminds me not to give him the Ryan Malone treatment after having a down season. If a guy scores twice in 41 games (I think Malone actually did that once) I'd be calling for his head. As for heroics I'd say that's reserved for Bishop and Kucherov all the Detroit series with an honorable mention to Jonathan Drouin's masterful performance in Game 4.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yzerman would pay him 10 per year here

Then what's the hold up? Stamkos isn't playing so contract negotiations wouldn't be a distraction. If Yzerman was going to 10 he would've signed already especially considering what has happened to him the last 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad