Speculation: 2015/2016 TBL Roster, Rumors, and Speculation PART II

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah you clearly don't need balance standing still or edge work when pivoting for a shot. Nor do you need agility. Nope. None at all. Matter of fact, the guy on the corner that's never skated can probably do all of that having no ice skating experience! Then you pick the smallest guy that's seen as one dimensional as your example. ****ing comical.

I noticed you didn't mention Brown or Paquette but went to a rookie. That's like saying MSL was terrible along the boards. That's called inexperience. Again, you need to be able to skate. That's why you learn how to skate before stick handling, shooting, hitting, etc. Pretty weird the fundentals of hockey are reversed to defend Matt Carle. :laugh:

Also, not sure of your playing experience and I don't want to pull the "you've never played before" card but you're giving me the impression. I'm not saying Carle is hockey 101 bad, but the decline has led to terrible board battles, a terrible shot, and piss poor decision making cause he is never first to a puck even when he's ahead of the guy. Hmmm. Wonder why he doesn't get there first, is it:

A. His shooting
B. His stick
C. His laces
D. His skating

I know, D! He has a shot inferior to men I play hockey with on the weekend and that is no lie. His passing is that of an AHLer. His decision making is about equivalent to a junior player in his debut.

Why exactly are we questioning the skating ability of an NHL player? You're seriously underrating the skill of these guys including Carle and overrating your own and your "buddies". Carle would walk circles around you guys.

I mean I don't want to pull the "well if you guys are better than him why aren't you in the NHL" card but you know...

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Why exactly are we questioning the skating ability of an NHL player? You're seriously underrating the skill of these guys including Carle and overrating your own and your "buddies". Carle would walk circles around you guys.

I mean I don't want to pull the "well if you guys are better than him why aren't you in the NHL" card but you know...
Lol. You seriously think I'd consider myself good enough to even get on the ice with Carle? No. I pointed out there is something up, imo, with him that has caused a decline in his skating the past two years. It gets worse and worse every year. There's no need to throw assinine comments out of the wind. What I said is true involving skating in order for the rest of a players skill set to come together. That's why you learn to skate first. That's that part. Then, there's Carle separate from other defenseman. Take Nesterov for example, poor decisions all game long, call it inexperience or whatever you'd like, but he's in the NHL and you don't see a regression in his skating ability.

I guess when it comes to Hedmans shot we can call it inaccurate, or Stamkos not moving his feet, or Drouin not winning battles but when it comes to Carle, nope, we can't criticize him. This is a forum, he's the only player I've ever thought in my life there was actually something wrong with him, in terms of limiting his skating abilities. On his worst day with figure skates, he can skate circles around me and anybody I've ever played with or seen, I don't think that needed to be reiterated but since you went there, yeah, I'm not a dick with an ego thinking I'm a superstar on a forum critiquing a player, I just genuinely think Matt Carle's decline stems from his skating.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Also to add, take a look at former slug defenseman on our team. Eric Brewer and Pavel Kubina. Neither were the quickest guys but neither were that slow in the beginning of their careers. Ok Kubina was sluggish the majority but bear with me. Brewer got slower over the years as players do, but his skating declined. A lot of other things but his skating declined. He looked like he was on a treadmill out there, his legs were moving but he got nowhere. Same for Carle at times and I expect it gets worse in the future.

Weber, Byfuglien, etc that are big aren't the fastest in the league but for their size their foot speed, agility and stride cover for it. Actually, Byfuglien is pretty damn quick for 8 foot tall, but you catch my drift. When players decline, unless it's a confidence thing from a quick career or an injury, it's their skating. Prime example was Alex Semin, the game left him in the dust. It killed him getting into scoring positions, beating a dman, etc. Even Vinny with his injuries, he got slower but when he was in close around the net or had the puck, he still produced for LA. That's what leaves me to believe Carle's skating is the reason for his decline. His shot was mediocre when we got him and his physicality is about the same. YT him from his Philly days and he lands quite a few hip checks. His passing is about the same but he gets killed with his decision making because that extra 2-3 seconds he used to have, he no longer does.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Also to add, take a look at former slug defenseman on our team. Eric Brewer and Pavel Kubina. Neither were the quickest guys but neither were that slow in the beginning of their careers. Ok Kubina was sluggish the majority but bear with me. Brewer got slower over the years as players do, but his skating declined. A lot of other things but his skating declined. He looked like he was on a treadmill out there, his legs were moving but he got nowhere. Same for Carle at times and I expect it gets worse in the future.

Weber, Byfuglien, etc that are big aren't the fastest in the league but for their size their foot speed, agility and stride cover for it. Actually, Byfuglien is pretty damn quick for 8 foot tall, but you catch my drift. When players decline, unless it's a confidence thing from a quick career or an injury, it's their skating. Prime example was Alex Semin, the game left him in the dust. It killed him getting into scoring positions, beating a dman, etc. Even Vinny with his injuries, he got slower but when he was in close around the net or had the puck, he still produced for LA. That's what leaves me to believe Carle's skating is the reason for his decline. His shot was mediocre when we got him and his physicality is about the same. YT him from his Philly days and he lands quite a few hip checks. His passing is about the same but he gets killed with his decision making because that extra 2-3 seconds he used to have, he no longer does.

I wouldn't say Kubinas skating declined, honestly. What happened was the game changed significantly on him. He was your big, giant, prototypical clutch-and-grab defender with a hard shot.

Brewers speed did decline a little, but he was never really a guy to carry a pairing and thats the role we put him in.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
all the crap and abuse i give matt carle right now we are lucky to have him even though dont agree with coopers usage of almost everyone lol on d side right now he is playing above what i thought he could so its definitely not all bad:)

next said holtby wasnt as good as bishop and gave that guy hell

last night pitt put on a show and holtby flat out won that game look at the shots the scoring chances where shots were coming from ohhh my what a game holtby had to hold them up

still think pitt is the team that moves forward and also yes think both might be better than we are now or were last year but but but

think both are going to pay a huge price this round in order to move forward and doubt either leaves this series unscathed or injury free so that might have a lot to do with our chances and that could make all the difference if we get our proverbial head out of the azz for the rest of this series:)

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I wouldn't say Kubinas skating declined, honestly. What happened was the game changed significantly on him. He was your big, giant, prototypical clutch-and-grab defender with a hard shot.

Brewers speed did decline a little, but he was never really a guy to carry a pairing and thats the role we put him in.
That's true on Kubina but his foot speed never got quicker. A guy like Weber hasn't dealt with that, yet. True on Brewer too. Not the greatest examples but I honed in on the two slowest bigger guys I could think of :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad