Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Isn't it shortsighted to truly believe that Ceci solidifies our top 4 when he really has only shown a few months of decent hockey??

Just playing devil's advocate here. You gotta give something up to get something. In one breath we all admit that we need some depth on our left side. In order to get the "cost-controlled" left-winger, we need to give up someone. Karlsson is not going anywhere, so that leaves 4 other D. Nobody wants any of them.

I think people are taking any thoughts of trading Cody Ceci way too personally. If I or anyone else is suggesting trading Ceci for Drouin, then it should serve as a compliment to Cody Ceci that he is even mentioned in the same breath.

Who else do we give up in any trade that won't leave us with a void?? We trade Zbad for a LWer, who replaces him. Same with Hoff. The reality is, we don't have the depth to trade any of our players to fill a void. As bad as our D is, Claesson can step in and the difference between Ceci/Claesson isn't as big of a hole as swapping Zbad with Lazar for example.
No this is just too much,other than being drafted at number 3 Drouin hasnt shown he is the superior anything .You saying this doesnt change a thing .And a few decent playoff games ,is way too small a sample size to base your one sided evaluation of him as a player period .

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
It was a late first for Comrie (rental)+Campoli (young RFA defender).

Campoli didn't pan out with Ottawa and was flipped for a second that was about 20 spots back of the first they originally gave up. Meaning, Ottawa gave up something like 20 draft spots for a few years of Campoli and Comrie as a rental.

Later, the 2nd they got for Campoli was used to trade up for Puempel, so he does trace back to that original trade, but it was Campoli who was flipped not Comrie. Which he probably meant.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm just saying that we flipped Campoli, not Comrie.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No this is just too much,other than being drafted at number 3 Drouin hasnt shown he is the superior anything .You saying this doesnt change a thing .And a few decent playoff games ,is way too small a sample size to base your one sided evaluation of him as a player period .

Honestly, I have come to take how you view him with little credence. If you need to be spoon fed him dominating in order to see his talent, so be it. That's not how things work in the real world.

Matthews hasn't shown anything either, how would you feel about that trade?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Pretty sure you are confusing the pieces involved. Comrie was part of that package, but Campoli was the guy dealt for Chi 2nd.

Right, Campoli, not Comrie. Obviously.

I knew exactly who I was talking about in my head, but I was looking at the article that was put out when the trade happened, and my brain just picked the wrong C-name.

Damn C-names!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Right, Campoli, not Comrie. Obviously.

I knew exactly who I was talking about in my head, but I was looking at the article that was put out when the trade happened, and my brain just picked the wrong C-name.

Damn C-names!

B-names are pretty cool.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Drouin would have been the perfect linemate for Zibby

but its probably time to move on. Duchene?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
B-names are pretty cool.

Agreed.

9vwQ3.gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Who? How?

We could re-sign Hoffman...

But yeah, it's funny. To get a player of Drouin's potential, you have to give up something. Ceci is our something. So saying that we could get something similar to Drouin elsewhere ignores the problem that we'd still have to give up a very good asset, or you know, pay through the nose for a UFA (Stamkos anybody?).

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Who? How?

I don't want this to sound derogatory to Drouin but it will anyways. Literally any round of the draft? There is are skilled forwards littered throughout every draft. I mean just in that series alone there's Palat, Nyquist, Kucherov, Athanasiou, Larkin, Tatar who were all recent later draft picks.

It's so much easier to draft and develop good forwards than Dmen.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I am still waiting to see exactly what you see in Ceci too?? In my opinion (and I don't think I am the only one), Ceci still has a lot to prove.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't want this to sound derogatory to Drouin but it will anyways. Literally any round of the draft? There is are skilled forwards littered throughout every draft. I mean just in that series alone there's Palat, Nyquist, Kucherov, Athanasiou, Larkin, Tatar who were all recent later draft picks.

I don't think it's fair list off some homerun draft picks as proof that you can readily find elite talent. It's like saying we should flip stone just because we can always draft another guy just like him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

That's fair, the only guy I regard in the same capacity is Kucherov.

Why haven't we done this? Stone is our only forward we've developed in 15 years who I'd consider on a level to Drouin. (Since Spezza at #2)

Our best forwards developed since 2000 (16 years) are:

Spezza
Stone
Zibanejad
Hoffman
Vermette
Foligno
Pageau

I'd love to get lucky and find a Drouin after a top 5 pick, I just won't expect that to happen anytime soon.

We traded a top 10 forward in the league for a top 10 forward in the league (Hossa-Heatley)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think it's fair list off some homerun draft picks as proof that you can readily find elite talent. It's like saying we should flip stone just because we can always draft another guy just like him.

It's not like saying trade Stone. The argument is to not trade Ceci since his skills and service will be very difficult to replace in comparison to trying to find additional skill to play at forward, especially when you consider the talent at each position around the league and within our own system.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not like saying trade Stone. The argument is to not trade Ceci since his skills and service will be very difficult to replace in comparison to trying to find additional skill to play at forward, especially when you consider the talent at each position around the league and within our own system.

I get not wanting to trade Ceci because we have a need at that position, and we can't afford to make that need even greater, but I don't agree that Ceci is harder to replace than Drouin would be.

Stralman, Leddy, Boychuck, Gunnarsson, Hamilton, Sekera, Yandle, all moved or picked up as UFA. Not sure Ceci is better than any of them yet, though he could become better than some. Now, Drouin is a young prospect with sky high potential, so it's a little hard to compare. I don't like people assuming he'll become the next Giroux or Kane, but he's got great value right now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There was also a time when Mez looked like he would be a legit future top pairing guy.

I'll always remember the 40+ minutes he and Pothier gave us when all of Redden, Phillips, Chara and Volchenkov were injured.

His first couple of seasons looked promising. Then he turned into a soft offensive defenseman who could never hit the net on the powerplay despite constant feeds.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Honestly, I have come to take how you view him with little credence. If you need to be spoon fed him dominating in order to see his talent, so be it. That's not how things work in the real world.

Matthews hasn't shown anything either, how would you feel about that trade?
And you dont see this with Ceci??Funny how his fanboys seem to excuse him when he was playing with guys below his talent level in the bottom 6 ,or in the ahl .But dont look at the trash partners Ceci had to drag around ,at the nhl level in a much more high pressure role in the top 4 .Drouin isnt more proven,a few points doesnt change this

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I get not wanting to trade Ceci because we have a need at that position, and we can't afford to make that need even greater, but I don't agree that Ceci is harder to replace than Drouin would be.

Stralman, Leddy, Boychuck, Gunnarsson, Hamilton, Sekera, Yandle, all moved or picked up as UFA. Not sure Ceci is better than any of them yet, though he could become better than some. Now, Drouin is a young prospect with sky high potential, so it's a little hard to compare. I don't like people assuming he'll become the next Giroux or Kane, but he's got great value right now.
10 goals ,with no PP time a season and a half with slugs like Cowen ,and Wiercioch yet still managed to preform ,Lots to like about Ceci ,in fact just as much as Drouin :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
10 goals and 26 points ,as a 22 year old defenseman .That can pk and play very sound two way hockey.Yep i can see why Killer likened him to a Doughty style defender,NO WAY I TRADE THAT FOR A WINGER

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Drouin is easily the better asset than Ceci.

Ceci is needed in Ottawa.

I personally would have jumped at that, though it's very understandable why we didn't.

I'd kill to see them overload on Karlsson on the PP and giving Drouin the half wall with Stone and Hoffman.

Agreed.. Drouin 1 for 1 for Ceci isn't close for me.

looking at team needs Ceci > Drouin imo

If you have a draft Drouin goes first obviously, but given our team I take Ceci.

We can find a player similar to Drouin by other means, maybe not as good but good enough for us to compete.

Winning the lottery , and then its a maybe, depending on year. Drouin is a very special player. Give us an example of who we would get that you know equates to Drouin and what we would need to do to would get him.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I am still waiting to see exactly what you see in Ceci too?? In my opinion (and I don't think I am the only one), Ceci still has a lot to prove.
And Drouin doesnt ??you defend him because of him playing with lessor players .Yet fail to give Ceci the same benifit,cause Cowen and Wier were so awesome:laugh:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I'm not saying acquiring a top 4 defenseman isn't possible, just that it's very costly. Hamilton cost 3 top 52 picks in last year's draft that was regarded as the best in maybe a decade. Brayden freaking Coburn returned a 1st and 3rd along with Gudas. The difference between Gudas and Coburn was a 1st and 3rd. Boychuk amd Sekera were signed to massive deals. Yandle got Duclair and a 1st which is a massive return. Duclair is already a key player for the Yotes. UFAs are nice, but they have to be willing to sign with you.

I'm saying getting returns on your investments has by far the better odds on forward than D. We see so many high first round D bust or only turn into bottom pairing guys. First round forwards take less time to develop and turn out a decent rate. 2014 already has Nylander, Fabbri, Larkin and Pastranak who are all near Drouin's level.

Outside of getting a real #1C who'll be around for awhile, I wouldn't trade any of our top 4 D or Chabot for another position. We need them all so badly to be even close to competitive in the near future. I don't think we have the funds available or assets to get another really good D without sabotaging the future and present.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And Drouin doesnt ??you defend him because of him playing with lessor players .Yet fail to give Ceci the same benifit,cause Cowen and Wier were so awesome:laugh:

You are looking at things extremely black/white. The reason teams were lining up for Drouin (Sens included) is that they aren't so narrow minded or short sighted when it comes to players.

We get it, you wouldn't trade Ceci for Drouin (I would in a second, but understand why we didn't/wouldn't), that is more than fair.

Your reasoning is the sketchy part (at least in my view)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We could re-sign Hoffman...

But yeah, it's funny. To get a player of Drouin's potential, you have to give up something. Ceci is our something. So saying that we could get something similar to Drouin elsewhere ignores the problem that we'd still have to give up a very good asset, or you know, pay through the nose for a UFA (Stamkos anybody?).

or two or maybe three.

Like I said before we don't really know what the cost for Drouin was. I would guess it was more than just Ceci. IMO Stevie would have been looking for us to overpay; I guess its a fair enough debate to speculate on whether you would or woudn't give up Ceci in our predicament for Drouin... Some of us would some of us wouldn't. That's all good.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Who? How?

I don't know

But if I'm being hypothetical, 12 OV + Lazar + prospect(Puempel,Englund,Chabot,White) can get us a VERY GOOD player.

So what if the WHO is Landeskog and the HOW is 12thOV+Lazar+White?

Nevermind if that's an overpayment (it might be), the point is that we have the assets to get said player.

The replies above and below address this. Drouin's potential is an offensive powerhouse.

What if we can get someone that can chip in 60-65 points and be a force two way (think ROR on the wing, or Landeskog, or other similar player). That player might not have Drouin's OFFENSIVE potential, but this hypothetical dude would have a skillset to would GREATLY complement our top-six, and so that's what I'm getting at.

I think we can find a good fit to gel with our forwards Turris,Zibanejad,Hoffman,Stone,Ryan,MacArthur(is he healthy? Will he play another full season again?), even if that fit doesn't have Drouin's offensive potential.

Winning the lottery , and then its a maybe, depending on year. Drouin is a very special player. Give us an example of who we would get that you know equates to Drouin and what we would need to do to would get him.

Re-read my post. I didn't say "equates to Drouin". I said someone similar who can help us compete.

That means the player can be less of an offensive powerhouse than Drouin seems to project as. Like I stated above, think Landeskog. I don't like naming names because that's pure hypothesis, but that's the embodiment of the player I'm describing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad