Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Re-Signing Neil should get Murray fired IMO. There is no benefit on having him in the lineup.

Wrong. He brings a veteran presence, leadership, toughness, physicality and still one of the best fighters in the league.

Is he a good enough player to play a regular shift in the bottom 6? Well that is certainly debatable, but to say that he brings zero benefit to the team is simply incorrect.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wrong. He brings a veteran presence, leadership, toughness, physicality and still one of the best fighters in the league.

Is he a good enough player to play a regular shift in the bottom 6? Well that is certainly debatable, but to say that he brings zero benefit to the team is simply incorrect.
Why pay someone who's ability to play a regular shift in the bottom six is debateable

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If I'm Murray and someone offered me a 2nd for Zack Smith I take it and run. Hell I'd probably trade him if offered a 3rd.

Sell high, buy low folks. He's been amazing this season, but there's no guarantees that he will continue to play this good next year.

With the cap going down you could easily turn around and offer a good bottom 6 forward 2.35 million (Smith's salary next season) and replace him at a cost of zero assets. That's what a smart GM would do.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Neil is getting re-signed. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Hoping that he's not re-signed is just going to lead to disappointment when it inevitably happens.

It better be for only one year though, and by god he better not be getting a raise. Could see Murray throwing him a ridiculous Phillips-type deal, guy can't help himself.

As an extra forward I'm fine with keeping Neil.

We need so much more skill in the bottom 6 that bringing him back to be a regular strikes me as counterproductive.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why pay someone who's ability to play a regular shift in the bottom six is debateable

Because he brings all those other things to the table, which I conveniently listed in the post you quoted.

Plus he's a Sens legend and I'd love for one of the best pound-for-pound fighters of his generation reach 1000 games and retire a Senator.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014

Neil is a net liability. He's close to zero benefit.

Othello*

Ha, Neil brings physicality once every 30 games and rarely fights anymore, but when he does drop them it's at the worst time possible and loses. I don't see any benefits of fighting just for fighting. In fact Neil's so called "toughness" and "leadership" actually lost us a game this season against New Jersey.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Ha, Neil brings physicality once every 30 games and rarely fights anymore, but when he does drop them it's at the worst time possible and loses. I don't see any benefits of fighting just for fighting. In fact Neil's so called "toughness" and "leadership" actually lost us a game this season against New Jersey.

Disagree with your first line. He is physical every game. As for the fighting, it's nto his fault no one fights anymore. It's not like he's out there getting misconducts for trying to fight.

Once every 30 games is just not true. What a silly statement

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Because he brings all those other things to the table, which I conveniently listed in the post you quoted.

Plus he's a Sens legend and I'd love for one of the best pound-for-pound fighters of his generation reach 1000 games and retire a Senator.

I wanna ice a better lineup. I would sacrifice a baby animal to do it

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan wondering price of Wiercioch?
Seems like his play has slipped a bit this year.
Prospect, pick, rental? What are you guys looking for?
Would rather make it a small deal as opposed to him as past of a package for
Anything big from Buffalo.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Just give us a pick. He'll be expressed shipped to you guys.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Yours for the best mid pick you're willing to trade.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

do you have a spare 3rd round pick? or a 5th? or some energy drinks for the rest of our team? we will take anything

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We're giving a lot. The Isles aren't giving very much for getting two young 1st round guys

We giving a lot but getting back a number 1 C. Look at that center depth. Chabot is so great but we can easily trade Turris/Zibanejad/White for defensive help in da future if we need it.

Marcus Foligno or anything else lol

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Stewart? come on Murray's, show some family love.:sarcasm:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
So a 3rd would do it?
Has he been that bad, or is he a bad fit for the scheme?
He seemed to really be growing at the end of last season,
And now he seems to have fallen off the map.

He is a RFA at the end of the season so I guess that mitigates his value, but if that's all it costs, I'd be down.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So a 3rd would do it?
Has he been that bad, or is he a bad fit for the scheme?
He seemed to really be growing at the end of last season,
And now he seems to have fallen off the map.

He is a RFA at the end of the season so I guess that mitigates his value, but if that's all it costs, I'd be down.
Some hate him some love him. Us hat loved him were on our high horses last year when he emerged as a legit top 4. And we've all been brought down a notch this season. He will still catch the eye of a franchise who strongly dabbles in advanced stats.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Also how have those things you listed helped us in the last few years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
EDM: Hamonic
OTT: RNH
NYI: Chabot+Lazar

Hoffman-RNH-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Dzingel
Smith-Pageau-Neil

Hummmm .... Pageau from the top line to the bottom line, incredibly soft looking lineup.

Neil is a net liability. He's close to zero benefit.

This team is soft as butter now, how much softer will they be without one of the toughness enforcers in the league these days even at 36 yrs old.

I can point to half a dozen games Karlsson cost us this yr. Nobody wants to fight Neil & if he starts a fight he gets nailed with the instigator rule & then you guys would be going crazy over that. You can't start a fight in the NHL any more, you have to have a guy who is willing to engage you & very few players will fight Neil. My guess is that Neil may not be on this team next yr & they will be even softer than they are now & weak. Neil is not the reason this team is losing it's the guys who are actually paid to score & win games who are not playing to their potential & losing games for this team. They are a soft team that is easy to play against & they will be a lot softer without Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad