Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm with both of you guys on this. All we can hope is someone comes along and knocks Murray's socks off with an offer.

I feel like contending teams overpay for this type of player every year. We could get a 2nd or a really solid defensive prospect.

We can get a first for smith I have no doubt. Contending team. Smith is still young he's no rental.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Why exactly are we trading Smith? It is not his fault that he is being put into a position he cannot succeed in.

He is still a good bottom 6 forward.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Gotta imagine a playoff team would covet him.

Not to mention it clears up cap space.

I don't think Smith is part of their plans moving forward. It's time to accept that we need to start looking towards next year. We are one of the few lottery teams that have a great core. We have a top 4. We have 4 top 6 wingers (Hoffman, Turris, Stone, Ryan) and if health Mac is in there and Zibby if he can gain some consistency.

Clearing out Smith clears up some cap to get some bottom 6 guys to build the right mold.

I dont know. I think trading Smith is great ofr us in the long term

I don't know about that. Character guys are hard to replace. How many people wouldn't undue the Kelly trade if given the opportunity?

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Why exactly are we trading Smith? It is not his fault that he is being put into a position he cannot succeed in.

I dont think it's sustainable.

Be grateful if he proves me wrong. If he can be a 3rd line LW who brings grit and a scoring touch then he's a great guy to have. But I dont think his scoring touch will stay

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't know about that. Character guys are hard to replace. How many people wouldn't undue the Kelly trade if given the opportunity?

SHould edit my post - I thought his contract was more than 1.6M. The cap space comment by me is pointless.

As for the character point, is he known for that? I dont remember that being a thing.

If he can remain a gritty scorer than I'd love to keep him, but like I said I dont think his scoring is sustainable

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I would not be surprise if EK ask for a trade soon, he wants to win and i dont see this team being a contender any time soon and i dont think EK wants to waste his best years playing for a bottom team.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I would not be surprise if EK ask for a trade soon, he wants to win and i dont see this team being a contender any time soon and i dont think EK wants to waste his best years playing for a bottom team.

I guarantee there's a zero percent chance that happens.

Othello*

I'd keep Smith. He's cheap and could be effective on the 4th line.

Chiasson & Neil should go this offseason. That opens up two roster spaces.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd keep Smith. He's cheap and could be effective on the 4th line.

Chiasson & Neil should go this offseason. That opens up two roster spaces.

Now that I agree with. If NEil is resigned I'll be pissed.

Love him, all time favorite sen, have his jersey, autograph, etc., but he's eating a roster space and if we're going to have Boro on our bottom pairing we don't need a token fighter.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nope. Swedish. They're like Golden Retriever faithful.

I wouldn't say anything demeaning like this but the ace up our sleeves is that he's dating a local girl and Alfie is in our management. That'll play a big role going forward. I think his pride of being a great Ottawa Senator will overcome the temptation of walking away for greener pastures.

This is all contingent on us improving over the next few years though. He won't stay if this is par for the course, which I don't think will be the case.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he is upset that Michalek had to be included in the deal for Phaneuf. I remember hearing a comment he made that all of this closest friends are continually traded from this team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO we need skill with size in bottom 6. Someone like Marcus Foligno but more skill. Brayden Schenn basically.

He is still a good bottom 6 forward.

Exactly.

Only way we trade Smith is in package for better player that we need.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Neil is getting re-signed. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Hoping that he's not re-signed is just going to lead to disappointment when it inevitably happens.

It better be for only one year though, and by god he better not be getting a raise. Could see Murray throwing him a ridiculous Phillips-type deal, guy can't help himself.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I guarantee there's a zero percent chance that happens.

I hope you are right? But is a damn shame that management doesn't give him a better team to play for. He's gonna get fed up playing for a bad team, i dont know every star player we ever had they all ask to be traded at one point.

Othello*

Re-Signing Neil should get Murray fired IMO. There is no benefit on having him in the lineup.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yep. Smith is one of those guys that have a spot in the bottom half of a SC champion squad. Trading him for a "better" player with holes in his game is a bad idea. I'd trade him for a late first. 2nd rounder doesn't get it done. It's been five years and Kelly for a 2nd (Prince) still hasn't panned out, even though Prince is above average for his draft spot.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yep. Smith is one of those guys that have a spot in the bottom half of a SC champion squad. Trading him for a "better" player with holes in his game is a bad idea. I'd trade him for a late first. 2nd rounder doesn't get it done.

Of course. I'm not talking about giving him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad