Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Edler is still better than Methot.

Wiercioch + Puempel + 2nd for Edler + Bartkowski

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I honestly think Wiercioch + Puempel or Prince is enough to get Edler.

Maybe add a pick, but I don't think a 2nd is necessary. Add it if you need to, but I don't think value is that high.

VAN is 23rd in the league. Time to trade some of the older dmen.

Even if we get Hamhuis I'm happy.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He did. But people who watch him play more regularly say he has his issues. And not what he used to be.

That's still better than Methot, so big upgrade.

also, don't forget that he and karlsson can communicate in swedish on the ice ;)
that's an underrated advantage, nobody will understand them haha.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
I'm hilarious?

You don't think Edler with Karlsson is an upgrade to Methot and Karlsson?

Personally I'm not sure it is. However, I'm quite certain that it is a significant upgrade to the team to have Edler on one of the first two pairings rather than Claesson, Weir, Boro or Cowen. Thus, needless to say, but I would be very excited to get Edler to Ottawa.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm hilarious?

You don't think Edler with Karlsson is an upgrade to Methot and Karlsson?

Of course not. Edler has been struggling in this league for almost 4 years now. His game is very similar to Wiercioch's. He's better than Wier but he's not the guy he was back when Vancouver was contending.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Personally I'm not sure it is. However, I'm quite certain that it is a significant upgrade to the team to have Edler on one of the first two pairings rather than Claesson, Weir, Boro or Cowen. Thus, needless to say, but I would be very excited to get Edler to Ottawa.

Of course not. Edler has been struggling in this league for almost 4 years now. His game is very similar to Wiercioch's. He's better than Wier but he's not the guy he was back when Vancouver was contending.

When VAN was contending he was basically a #1.

Now he's a solid top-four D, which is exactly what Methot is.

Add to that he has wayyy better offensive instincts than Methot, and he's a better match to play with Karlsson IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I honestly think Wiercioch + Puempel or Prince is enough to get Edler.

Maybe add a pick, but I don't think a 2nd is necessary. Add it if you need to, but I don't think value is that high.

VAN is 23rd in the league. Time to trade some of the older dmen.

Even if we get Hamhuis I'm happy.

Really? IMO Edler is valued more than that. Propose it. on the Trades board.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Well last year karlsson won the Norris on that pairing. It's not gonna be much better.

That shows how good Karlsson is, not how good Methot is.

I'm not saying Methot is bad, but there's a lot of upgrades out there.

Ideally Methot is on the 2nd pair.

Really? IMO Edler is valued more than that. Propose it. on the Trades board.

Just a feeling.

Usually trades on the trade board are inflated and don't represent reality, IMO. We've seen it with the Spezza trade, Nash trade, etc. etc.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Well last year karlsson won the Norris on that pairing. It's not gonna be much better.

It's because Karlsson is the best dman in the world. Most elite defenseman have a partner that can move the puck.

Keith has Seabrook
Weber has Josi
Doughty has Muzzin
Subban has Markov
Klingberg has Goligoski

Methot is solid #3/4. During the past couple of games it was clear that he benefits hugely from Karlsson. He's been fighting the puck without him

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's because Karlsson is the best dman in the world. Most elite defenseman have a partner that can move the puck.

Keith has Seabrook
Weber has Josi
Doughty has Muzzin
Subban has Markov
Klingberg has Goligoski

Methot is solid #3/4. During the past couple of games it was clear that he benefits hugely from Karlsson. He's been fighting the puck without him
It's more like Josi has weber now.

I'm saying karlsson has a Norris worthy season with methot. Elder won't suddenly elevate karlsson to even greater heights. Methot and karlsson gel perfectly. No reason to get karlsson another pair. Karlsson has better seasons then all those you mentioned. Keep him as is. We should worry about getting ceci a partner as it looks like Murray won't trade him. Which is fine.

I don't think elder has the ability anymore to play with a young guy like ceci. And to be honest. I don't think methot does either. When he's away from karlsson it's easy to see why the blue jackets didn't love him. Or at least consider him an unreadable top player. Methot has zero offensive ability. His passes are regularly 3 feet high and in the offensive zone he just slaps it to the corner. But for some reason. He fits perfectly with karlsson. But neithe he nor edler will help ceci.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Well, if I recall, Edler and Karlsson played pretty well together during the Olympics. Small sample size, obviously, but it's something.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, if I recall, Edler and Karlsson played pretty well together during the Olympics. Small sample size, obviously, but it's something.

Not well enough to kick methot off the only pairing he plays well on
And the Olympics is not the NHL.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
It's more like Josi has weber now.

I'm saying karlsson has a Norris worthy season with methot. Elder won't suddenly elevate karlsson to even greater heights. Methot and karlsson gel perfectly. No reason to get karlsson another pair. Karlsson has better seasons then all those you mentioned. Keep him as is. We should worry about getting ceci a partner as it looks like Murray won't trade him. Which is fine.

I don't think elder has the ability anymore to play with a young guy like ceci. And to be honest. I don't think methot does either. When he's away from karlsson it's easy to see why the blue jackets didn't love him. Or at least consider him an unreadable top player. Methot has zero offensive ability. His passes are regularly 3 feet high and in the offensive zone he just slaps it to the corner. But for some reason. He fits perfectly with karlsson. But neithe he nor edler will help ceci.
Well Karlsson did win a Norris with freaking Kuba as his partner. EK will mesh well with any competent top 4 defenseman. Trade for Edler and either play him with Karlsson or Ceci, it's a positive no matter how you look at it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well Karlsson did win a Norris with freaking Kuba as his partner. EK will mesh well with any competent top 4 defenseman. Trade for Edler and either play him with Karlsson or Ceci, it's a positive no matter how you look at it.

I am of the opinion that we should get a serious upgrade on the second pairing. Methot, yes, is a second pairing guy, but if he can hold down the fort like a #2 playing with EK and doesn't play nearly as well away from him, it's reason enough to keep Methot up and work on the 3 slot.

In a perfect world, Methot would still play rock solid on the second line, and we would go out an get a fantastic partner for Erik. It's the fact that Methot's performance different so much between D partners that makes me say keep him with EK.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Keith has Seabrook
Weber has Josi
Doughty has Muzzin
Subban has Markov
Klingberg has Goligoski

Doughty doesn't play with Muzzin anymore. He's with McNabb. Muzzin has been anchoring the 2nd pair with Martinec

Also, Keith has been playing with Hjalmarsson, which is still an awesome partner.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I am of the opinion that we should get a serious upgrade on the second pairing. Methot, yes, is a second pairing guy, but if he can hold down the fort like a #2 playing with EK and doesn't play nearly as well away from him, it's reason enough to keep Methot up and work on the 3 slot.

In a perfect world, Methot would still play rock solid on the second line, and we would go out an get a fantastic partner for Erik. It's the fact that Methot's performance different so much between D partners that makes me say keep him with EK.
Hopefully though that 2nd pairing upgrade can click with Methot and help solidify our top 4. Who ever plays with Karlsson does good because 65 takes so much of the pressure off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille