Rumor: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Just to be clear, by "trouble" I don't think the team is in imminent danger of relocating or anything that drastic.

Just that the fanbase has reached a tipping point: we've been sold the rebuild, we've been sold the fact that this team is on budget, we've been sold on this team can play some amazing hockey. However the product is still not very good.

We got MacArthur and Ryan in the summer of 2013 but not much since then.

and that was just a desperation move to safe face with the fanbase

i completely agree with this post, its not about relocation its more about the fans are going to reach the point of 'not giving a ****' and if that happens we will essentially become like the blue jays

where the team will be like if you come to the games we will spend money but the fans will be like spend money first then we will come to the games

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
To be fair, with a healthy MacArthur this team is much better

EDIT: Keith Yandle is available for a forward and we have decent, young, cheap forwards that might be interesting to the Rangers. He's a leftie, he's a veteran so that's a good fit for the roster but he's also looking to get paid. Anybody thinks it makes any sense to try and get him? I doubt he's going to get an absurd contract as a UFA since, now that he's out of Phoenix, people understand how overrated he was when no one watched him and only looked at stats. Still a solid player and, most importantly, the kind of player we could really use on the D.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be honest, this team is far from trouble. If White and Chabot continue progressing as expected and even if we just stand pat.

2 years from now:

Ryan: 30 = top line winger
Hoffman: 28 = top line winger/30 goal scorer
Stone: 25 = top line winger
Karlsson: 27 = franchise d
Zibanejad: 23 = 2nd line/1B C
White: 20 = 2nd line/1b C
Turris: 28 = 1B C
Chabot: 20 = number 3 D
Methot: 32 = number 3 D
Ceci: 23 = number 3/4 D
Lazar 22 = top or bottom 6 F
Pageau: 25 = possibly elite number 3 C
Smith: 29 = great number 4 C

As you can see, that's a roster that could contend and has the age to continue contending for another 2-5 years.

Only real problem is Anderson is 34 and will be 36 and imo no where near as effective. He's an on and off top 5-10 performance goalie in the league today and we need to take advantage.

With this being said though, 2 years a lot can happen and the safest thing to do is continue to go on course but next time a player like Giroux/Johansen or some top end talent available, we must snatch him. As you can see we have a lot of potential number 2 C's and number 3 D's but we need a legit number 1 C or top-end D. Heck, White or Chabot could be those guys tbh but we gotta be conservative in our assumptions right now.

I actually still cant believe we never got Johansen. Yes they wanted defense and Jones something we never had but its moments like that where GMs must make a brilliant stamp on the team to get it over the hump.

I say we go hard after RNH but for now safest thing to do is find a way to get Gunnarsson which should not be hard at all and next time an elite forward available we snatch him. Especially a C.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Again, I don't mean trouble as in the team is doomed.

Just that this team needs to experience some prolonged success and/or not get dominated all the time.

This is still a Canadian team, as soon as the team gets good people will flock back in droves.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Only way the Sens can get in on Yandle this summer is if Greening and Cowen both move on with little to no salary coming back.

Yandle is going to at least get 6.5 aav. Maybe even 7.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think he'd be worth it

But it would take ownership being ok with spending more than they would like to

I think the current state of the team makes it clear that they should be open to that possibility

If they think they have a good shot at retaining Yandle if they get him I think it's well worth it. Problem is, this is his big money contract so it's hard to imagine Ottawa making the best offer... Which is why bringing him and selling him on the team, the organization and the city as early as possible is going to be a necessity if it's a possibility.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
To be honest, this team is far from trouble. If White and Chabot continue progressing as expected and even if we just stand pat.

2 years from now:

As you can see, that's a roster that could contend and has the age to continue contending for another 2-5 years.

Only real problem is Anderson is 34 and will be 36 and imo no where near as effective. He's an on and off top 5-10 performance goalie in the league today and we need to take advantage.

With this being said though, 2 years a lot can happen and the safest thing to do is continue to go on course but next time a player like Giroux/Johansen or some top end talent available, we must snatch him. As you can see we have a lot of potential number 2 C's and number 3 D's but we need a legit number 1 C or top-end D. Heck, White or Chabot could be those guys tbh but we gotta be conservative in our assumptions right now.

I actually still cant believe we never got Johansen. Yes they wanted defense and Jones something we never had but its moments like that where GMs must make a brilliant stamp on the team to get it over the hump.

I say we go hard after RNH but for now safest thing to do is find a way to get Gunnarsson which should not be hard at all and next time an elite forward available we snatch him. Especially a C.

Zib is 23 in 3 months

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Only way the Sens can get in on Yandle this summer is if Greening and Cowen both move on with little to no salary coming back.

Yandle is going to at least get 6.5 aav. Maybe even 7.

5.2 comes off the books just by Phillips retiring and letting go of Wier or trading him.

Another 2.7 is gone with the departure of Neil and letting Chiasson walk or trading him.

If we want to pay Yandle, we can. We could move Michalek who would makes 4 mil.

On top of that, the team will likely look long term, and realize Cowen is gone one year later, as is Greening for another 9.1 mil in savings.

The reason we hadn't gone after Dmen before was because we had committed money and term to Wier, Cowen, and Phillips. Management has shown some dissatisfaction with the 2 former, and the latter is set to retire. That opens up funds and the required roster spots.

If this team want's another high paid dman, they can make it fit. The question more likely is do they think Yandle or someone like him is the solution.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
None of this matters. As long as the team is operating with a budget like this, we will never have an elite team good enough to compete for the cup.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ownership isn't keen on spending too much because of past experiences

Eventually ownership will see that "we will spend only, and only when, the roster proves they deserve the help" is not a recipe for success

It's a matter of time

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015

2 years from now:

And your forgetting Prince, Puempel, Paul and Lindberg. I have high hopes for all 4.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
And your forgetting Prince, Puempel, Paul and Lindberg. I have high hopes for all 4.

None look like they have top 3 forward ability and that's what we need.

Since we don't have legit top line C, we need elite wingers for support. We have 3 already but we need another stable one.

I have hopes Lindberg/Paul/McCormick/Lazar will fill out the bottom 6 with energy and gritty skill in next couple years.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Yandle has to want to play in Ottawa. Otherwise, trading for him is useless. Given where the team stands, I wouldn't be very enthused about the Senators giving up a first, a prospect, + for a rental.

Yandle probably gets 6M on a 7 year deal, or 7+ on a shorter deal. Ottawa has a lot of money coming off the books and could make it work in the short term. But, would the team really want to commit to signing Yandle until he is 37 if he is asking for max term? Look at the Methot extension and how he eventually settled for a contract that was probably less money and term than he would have gotten on the open market.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
From main board...

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 2m2 minutes ago
I have no idea how far along (if at all) this is but ...

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 2m2 minutes ago
One thing I have consistently heard in the last couple of weeks is Jared Cowen and Calgary.

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 1m1 minute ago
*shrugs*

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Cowen for Russell makes a lot of sense if CGY is sold on the idea that Cowen still could be something because he is "big" and has a high draft pedigree.

If CGY doesn't plan on extending Russell, he'd go for what as a rental? A 2nd round pick +? Seems like almost a wash......unless you think there aren't GMs who'd give up a mid second for Cowen.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
How bad is Smid? Flames fans are throwing him into proposals for Cowen all willy nilly.

When he was a part of the Heatley deal that was nixed, I remember being stoked.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Absolutely no ****ing way should Murray trade Cowen for Smid. It is a lateral move. In fact, Smid will be making a little bit more money next season than Cowen.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
May have something to do with our willingness to move Ceci for Drouin.

Ceci -> Drouin
Cowen + Greening? -> Wideman

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Cowen for Russell makes a lot of sense if CGY is sold on the idea that Cowen still could be something because he is "big" and has a high draft pedigree.

If CGY doesn't plan on extending Russell, he'd go for what as a rental? A 2nd round pick +? Seems like almost a wash......unless you think there aren't GMs who'd give up a mid second for Cowen.

I can't see that. They'd be better off letting Russel walk. They already have a huge amount of money committed to their D. Can't see that working for them unless they absolutely love Cowen.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Cowen for Bennett confirmed. I knew Burkie liked Cowen. He should go back to Toronto and give us kadri

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I can't see that. They'd be better off letting Russel walk. They already have a huge amount of money committed to their D. Can't see that working for them unless they absolutely love Cowen.

Agreed, it's a dbl gamble, we'd gamble that Cowen doesn't put it together and they gamble he does.

We take that bet at this point as it seems he won't put things together in Ottawa, while Calgary would have to hedge their bets much more conservatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad