Rumor: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Goligoski gunnarsen and Russell are also FAs. Correct me if any of them have been signed already.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The current del zottos and John moores would look really good on our second and third pairs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In fact I'm really surprised Murray didn't sign sign del zotto. We were heavily rumored to be in on him just a season before he was signed by the flyers.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hyperbole. Methot looks lost without EK.

I'm speaking in hyperbole? Am I the only one who remembers Methot's performance after Karlsson severed his Achilles? Dude played lights out as a shut down guy on a team with a league best GAA with Eric Gryba as a partner. Those guys were outstanding. Methot is a rare breed in today's NHL, not to take anything away from Edler who's decent but Methot has skills that are more rare in today's NHL. I value that much higher than a guy like Edler.

I'd take Edler here gladly, but we don't need to denigrate Methot's capabilities as a defender here. There's only a handful of guys like him left, while guys like Edler are far more common.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm speaking in hyperbole? Am I the only one who remembers Methot's performance after Karlsson severed his Achilles? Dude played lights out as a shut down guy on a team with a league best GAA with Eric Gryba as a partner. Those guys were outstanding. Methot is a rare breed in today's NHL, not to take anything away from Edler who's decent but Methot has skills that are more rare in today's NHL. I value that much higher than a guy like Edler.

I'd take Edler here gladly, but we don't need to denigrate Methot's capabilities as a defender here. There's only a handful of guys like him left, while guys like Edler are far more common.
Just because Methot had a nice performance with Gryba a couple years ago? Don't you think Gryba had a part in that too and that they were both playing over their heads?

I agree though that Methot is unique Not too many hip checkers out there. He's a rare breed for sure, and I want him to retire a Sen... But I don't think that means that Edler wouldn't be better on a pairing with Karlsson. They're just more compatible.

It's not denigrating Methot's capabilities.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If we were to get Edler than you try Edler with Ceci and Methot with Karlsson.

However, getting Ceci the best partner for him matters more for the future of this team. Karlsson is the captain and is good enough that he should be able to manage with anyone decent who focuses on defense and lets King K do his thing.

However, Claesson might turn into that guy, looks like the team is ok with giving him an extended look there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Methot's played roughly 800 mins (5v5) away from Karlsson over the last 3 years, and less than 150 away from Karlsson this year (the only season where he's had issues away from Karlsson, I might add).

I think anyone jumping to conclusions about Methot based on ~150 mins might want to take a step back, and take a deep breath.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm trying to follow this Methot conversation and find myself feeling as lost as Jared Cowen feels when trying to break out of the zone. Probably just going to put the puck in my feet and try and freeze it against the boards.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Funny how PK Subban,s offensive production has dipped,just as Markov play starts to slow.......We should make an offer for him ,play him on the 2nd pair ala Gonchar :handclap:

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I'm trying to follow this Methot conversation and find myself feeling as lost as Jared Cowen feels when trying to break out of the zone. Probably just going to put the puck in my feet and try and freeze it against the boards.

Well, better than blindly throwing it up the boards to the opposing winger I suppose

scheps

May 28, 2015
Would you be willing to give up a 1St plus for edler because cancuks fans seem to want alot more than 1St plus for edler.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Would you be willing to give up a 1St plus for edler because cancuks fans seem to want alot more than 1St plus for edler.

Lol Edler for 1st + ?

We are lucky the vancouver fans are not in the office. I always find it funny when people talk about a trade and say this guys his worth a 1st + top 6 + high prospect. And then the trade happen and it is 2nd + an Ok prospect.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
What's everyone opinion on yandle? Seems like the rangers are going to move him. Would he be better then Edler,Widemen,russel?

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
What's everyone opinion on yandle? Seems like the rangers are going to move him. Would he be better then Edler,Widemen,russel?

Yandle would be great, but at a much, much lesser salary than what I think he'll want. Otherwise he's just a rental for the Sens, and Sens are not in 'rental' mode this year I believe...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

The Rangers don't even use him on the top PP unit... It's hilarious

He'll demand 7-8 per season as a UFA and continue to put up 50+ points for the next 4-6 years

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
From what i undersand he makes about 5 mil a year. Could we lock him up for like a 5.5/6.0 X4 or 5? Im not really sure how good he is havent watched him play much but ive heard good things. He could play with ceci

WhiteLight*

Anyone who thinks Methot is equivalent to Edler needs to give their head a shake (and for that matter who thinks Methot is the same player he was 2-3 years ago)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The direction of the team isn't gauged by fan interested

The financial situation of a very small budget team however, that's a different story

Obviously we are one epic run away from generating a lot of interest but the whole "go on run or play bad hockey" is wearing thin on people and that ought to be concerning to ownership

I think the Ottawa fans are a bit underrated in that even when the team did poorly in the past, people cared. This is not the case at the moment and that should worry plenty of people.

That's the problem right here, the team will always be in a "have to win now" mode (which slowed the decline and forced them to "half-rebuild" fast) because of the shallow fanbase...

Imagine if the team had results like the Oilers, Jackets or Sabres (or several other teams for that matter). Would that mean another move to another city? Actually, I am thinking it could be a possibility in a few years if the team doesn't become a contender.

I am a fan of the Senators who live in Montreal. I don't care in which city they play so personally I wouldn't really be affected if it goes to Quebec, but would probably lose interest if it goes in the US (like it did when the Nordiques moved to Colorado)

I'd bet both but I'm also confident we'd all make more of a effort to catch games we can if the team wasn't so bland, boring and painful to watch

I found that this team was highly entertaining before they started struggling for some reason in December (scoring went down). Even now, they still have the odd game there and there but they are too far from being consistent, that's the problem. Off games should be the exception not the norm.

I was more excited about the team in 2010-2011 than I am now.

We have the best dman in the NHL and the team completely sucks; this franchise is in serious trouble.

The team do not completely suck. It went through a decline and a rebuild and the global standings during that period shows average results. If being average means you suck then it means that fans are a bit delusional. Winning is not a given, it's an achievement.

That's why the problem might be expectations. People in Ottawa WOULD LIKE a championship team like Chicago, LA or even Detroit but to be honest, I don't see that ever happening. At best, they could win one year like the Canes or Bolts did but I don't see a small market being able to win year after year (I see the Sens more like I see the Preds or Jets for example). The domination the Sens had in 2000-06 (in regular season) was great but I don't see it happening every decade, maybe once every 2-3 decades.

Fans have to settle with realistic expectations, no GM will do miracles, it's a cycle and Ottawa's cycle is slower because they don't attract great UFAs in prime years. They have to build through the draft (trades are also dependant on this), and it takes TIME, a LOT of time and this fanbase has no patience, they want to win now and this is also the downfall of this team.

I know this post won't be popular lol

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
That's the problem right here, and a bunch of other trash
I know this post won't be popular lol

OMG you take every chance you get to talk about moving the sens.

We don't care you used to be a Nordique fan, we don't care you want to move our team.

Go away.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
From main board...

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 2m2 minutes ago
I have no idea how far along (if at all) this is but ...

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 2m2 minutes ago
One thing I have consistently heard in the last couple of weeks is Jared Cowen and Calgary.

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 1m1 minute ago
*shrugs*

I would like to see Cowen in Calgary which was my 2nd favorite team when Kipper was still playing!

How bad is Smid? Flames fans are throwing him into proposals for Cowen all willy nilly.

When he was a part of the Heatley deal that was nixed, I remember being stoked.

I'd be up for that, Smid (29 y/o) for Cowen

Does a 1st for Campoli and Comrie count? What about two 2nds for Sutton and Cullen?

Murray loves wasting our assets on useless rentals. I expect our 1st to be off limits, but the rest of our picks/prospects should be fair game.

Those moves were seen as very good moves by the panels analysts etc... But what do they know compared to HF posters?

Campoli was a young 24 y/o PMD making 633K$ and averaging 30 pts per 82 games. He was a hot commodity and that 1st was 26th overall in an ordinary draft...

And the return on the investment was pretty good as we used Campoli for cheap for a few years and got back a 2nd and Potulny 3 years later.

Every year, several 1st and 2nd round picks are traded for rentals. Do the fans always whine about it or only if their team don't reach the SCF?

Finally, "Murray" acquired A LOT more 1st and 2nd and young star players that he gave up during his tenure as GM here... And also free wallets.

Bad trade anyways. It was clear the team was garbage but he still traded out assets. That 1st turned out to be Kyle Palmarie who is having one heck of a year.

What an insult it would have been to Alfredsson to stand pat and not trying to right the ship. The team was not even 2 years removed from a SCF appearance. Get real people.

That and the fact that this small market HAS TO WIN or else the ticket sales take too much of a dive. That is why management is always in "win mode now", lol even when they rebuild. Very tough job in Ottawa

Campoli wasn't a rental? He had a year left and was RFA...

I mean, it's fine if you didn't like the move, and while it's true we could have drafted ROR with that pick, it's far more likely we end up with one of the many busts or mediocre players drafted around that spot.

Value wise, that trade was fine, particularly when you account for the 2nd round pick we got for Campoli when done with him

As for the two late picks used for Sutton and Cullen, there were a couple gems left, but again the odds were stacked against anyone picking at that point.

Fans really like to overvalue picks. There is a huge difference between late 2nd round picks, and even late first round picks, and picks in the middle of the 1st.

Exactly. And studies of the odds of finding good players depending of where you pick in the draft are out there for anyone to see. Outside of the top-10 (maybe even top-5), the draft is crapshoot.

I recall the Senators giving up their first for Rundblad.

Who then became the best prospect in the WORLD and allowed us to land a previous 3rd overall pick in Turris...

You'd maybe might have a point if Rundblad wasn't himself a 1st round pick himself the year prior we traded for him.

Please think a bit more people. The negativity upswing is way too obvious, it clouds severely the judgements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->