Speculation: 2015 - 2016 Roster Talk (Part IV): Darby Hendrickson Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What about Tlusty? He has a varied skill set so you could really put him anywhere in the top 9 without any disruption.

Tlusty - Vermette - Boedker/Duclair
Domi - Hanzal - Boedker/Duclair
Rieder - Richardson - Doan
Chip/Vitale - Gordon - Downie
Scott

I would rather keep the $ for a D. Maybe if Boedker is traded, but I think Boedker stays.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Craig's latest says we'd still like to add that D partner for Ollie through trade as well as a UFA winger in the $2-3M range.

I wonder which RHD we could acquire via trade? Any cap teams that need more room? As for a UFA winger in our top 6, I don't really see any that would help much, no potential Ray Whitney's out there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wonder which RHD we could acquire via trade? Any cap teams that need more room? As for a UFA winger in our top 6, I don't really see any that would help much, no potential Ray Whitney's out there.

I'm of the opinion that any RHD we could acquire in a trade would not possess the skill level we are looking for at that position - certainly not a high enough skill level to justify the assets we'd need to part with. The escalator really blitzed us in terms of getting deals due to the cap.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vatanen for Boedker+Gormley+Conditional pick(NYR 1st if Boedker walks, AZ 3rd if he re-signs)

Sign Semin to one year, 5mil contract.

Reider-Vermette-Semin
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Doan-Richardson-Downie
Chipchura-Gordon-Vitale
Scott

OEL-Vatanen
Dahlbeck-Michalek
Grossman-Stone
Murphy

Smith
Lindback

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm of the opinion that any RHD we could acquire in a trade would not possess the skill level we are looking for at that position - certainly not a high enough skill level to justify the assets we'd need to part with. The escalator really blitzed us in terms of getting deals due to the cap.

The biggest issue in my mind regarding the RHD acquisition is that he has to be a clear and obvious upgrade on both Stone and Murphy. Reason being he will push one or the other out of the lineup. Zbynek Michalek should not have been signed. Unfortunately, he was. There's no undoing that. We're stuck. We know he's NOT coming out of the lineup when healthy. He's going to play. We have three RHD in Michalek, Stone and Murphy. If we acquire another one, that pushes Stone or Murphy down to 7th D. To me that mean that Gormley (the current 7th D) has to be involved in the trade, and the RHD has to be a clear upgrade on Murphy and Stone in order to justify it.

Gormley and the NYR 1st does NOT get us a clear upgrade on Stone and Murphy. It needs to have a bigger piece in the package. Our best trade chip is our 1st (should NOT be an option). Our 2nd best chip is Mikkel Boedker.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
RHD's (not all would be projected as pairing with OEL)
I see that the Sabres are trying to sign Franson, which seems strange to me unless they plan on trading a RHD afterwards (Pysyk, Bogosian). Wideman, now that the Flames have Hamilton and want to reduce their cap to re-sign Giordano.
Byfuglien always in rumors, Jets want too much for his last year in his contract.
Folin intrigues me. He seems like he is ready to step up and he still is waiver exempt. The Wild have him penciled in as a bottom 6.
Gudbranson? If the Panthers feel that Petrovic is ready for a top 4 role.
Adam Larsson is headed to arbitration, it could get ugly.
Kline, if the Rangers want to reduce their cap to re-sign Stepan, who also is headed to arbitration.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The biggest issue in my mind regarding the RHD acquisition is that he has to be a clear and obvious upgrade on both Stone and Murphy. Reason being he will push one or the other out of the lineup. Zbynek Michalek should not have been signed. Unfortunately, he was. There's no undoing that. We're stuck. We know he's NOT coming out of the lineup when healthy. He's going to play. We have three RHD in Michalek, Stone and Murphy. If we acquire another one, that pushes Stone or Murphy down to 7th D. To me that mean that Gormley (the current 7th D) has to be involved in the trade, and the RHD has to be a clear upgrade on Murphy and Stone in order to justify it.

Gormley and the NYR 1st does NOT get us a clear upgrade on Stone and Murphy. It needs to have a bigger piece in the package. Our best trade chip is our 1st (should NOT be an option). Our 2nd best chip is Mikkel Boedker.

Agreed, has to be a clear upgrade. Perhaps Stone or Murphy would go in a package to get Vatanan or another RHD to pair with OEL. How about Stone and Bods for Vatanan?

rt

May 13, 2004
Agreed, has to be a clear upgrade. Perhaps Stone or Murphy would go in a package to get Vatanan or another RHD to pair with OEL. How about Stone and Bods for Vatanan?

I'd rather not. Trading Stone or Murphy is counter productive. We need the RHD to be young enough for the long-term solution. We need Murphy and Stone to carousel in and out of the line-up for this year, until Michalek hops on the carousel next season, and one moves off into the permanent spot.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Vatanen for Boedker+Gormley+Conditional pick(NYR 1st if Boedker walks, AZ 3rd if he re-signs)

Sign Semin to one year, 5mil contract.

Reider-Vermette-Semin
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Doan-Richardson-Downie
Chipchura-Gordon-Vitale
Scott

OEL-Vatanen
Dahlbeck-Michalek
Grossman-Stone
Murphy

Smith
Lindback

I don't want Semin within a 1000 miles of this club. Last year he would have fit right in, not this year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
DD has it I think. We'll have a more clear idea of what RHDs are available once the arbitration cases are figured out.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
WANT a Oliver-Ekman-Adam-Larrson pairing.

In that situation I believe moving Stone would be worthwhile. Again it has to be a clear upgrade that is also around the same age of Murphy or Stone. NJ needs wingers. I think Boeds and Stone could get it done, maybe add a 2nd.

Edit: I think very highly of Wideman and would love to add. But the age aspect hurts with him. The whole signing Z before figuring out your top RHD situation was very dumb.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Honestly, given what's out there, I'm good with our RD situation. I'd love to add a young top pairing guy but it's not a need right now. Let Stone anchor that spot this year, and try again next year when we are closer to truly competing. We have to remember that we are likely 2-3 years out from not lucking into a playoff spot and actually earning it. No need to add a piece like Vat (though nice, I think he's not going to be a true top pairing guy). At this point, I'd wait to the TDL and move Boedker for a great d prospect and a pick. Maybe Gormley can establish some value and maybe help to get a top 6 RW. I'm not touching the roster until the TDL if I'm GMDM, let some kids in and see what happens.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'd rather not. Trading Stone or Murphy is counter productive. We need the RHD to be young enough for the long-term solution. We need Murphy and Stone to carousel in and out of the line-up for this year, until Michalek hops on the carousel next season, and one moves off into the permanent spot.
Stone is 25, with 2.5 full NHL seasons under his belt. This year needs to be "in the lineup or Get The Eff Out" for him. No carousels.

There's no way that DM's plan was:
OEL - XXX
Grossman - Stone
Dahlbeck - Michalek
Gormley - Murphy
because that's insane. We can't afford that, and we can't afford to waste two good young players like Murphy and Gormley in order to play a more expensive vet.

If there's a way to package Stone or Murphy (and it should be Stone) and another piece to get a big-time first pairing D, cool, do it. Adding ANOTHER NHL defensive piece without moving at least one of Gormley, Murphy and Stone would be awful asset management. I don't want to rundblad (using that as a verb) Connor Murphy.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

We will have to give to get and we don't want Gormley and Murphy sitting. I would easily give up Bods, Stone or Murphy, and maybe a second round pick, for a first pairing RHD under contract for a few years, and under 30 years old. I am sure meeting all those conditions will be difficult though. If we stand pat, Stone or Murphy have to step it up. Z is a placeholder on the first pairing and I thought he was really slowing down last year.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We will have to give to get and we don't want Gormley and Murphy sitting. I would easily give up Bods, Stone or Murphy, and maybe a second round pick, for a first pairing RHD under contract for a few years, and under 30 years old. I am sure meeting all those conditions will be difficult though. If we stand pat, Stone or Murphy have to step it up. Z is a placeholder on the first pairing and I thought he was really slowing down last year.

I doubt Z ends up on our 1st pairing, it's more likely Stone or Murphy.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Probably would but our top two would be set for a long time. Looking at Buffaloes situation, I think it could be a case of we have what they need and they have what we need so you never know.

What do they need that we have, boedker? I'd think it would take much more than that, maybe I'm overvaluing risto since I like his game so much though.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
They would ask for OEL in exchange for Risto + Girgensens.

We probably wouldn't even consider it unless it's Risto + Reinhart.

Which to me makes it not worth it, the whole idea behind getting risto is to build around OEL and get him a partner imo. I wonder if a package like perlini/duclair/dvorak+boedker+gormley would get it done.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What do they need that we have, boedker? I'd think it would take much more than that, maybe I'm overvaluing risto since I like his game so much though.

Ristolainen has already shown top pairing ability. He is going nowhere for anything less than a painful ransom, something the Coyotes can't afford to pay.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Which to me makes it not worth it, the whole idea behind getting risto is to build around OEL and get him a partner imo. I wonder if a package like perlini/duclair/dvorak+boedker+gormley would get it done.

I don't know if he could be traded for. The sabers are pretty high on him but lots of top flight players have been moved over the years. Heck Gretzky was traded more then once so anything can happen. The sabers also have Bogosian who is a right shot so they have two RH top pairing guys which is why I think it would be worth looking into. But it would cost a high price. Maybe too much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
WANT a Oliver-Ekman-Adam-Larrson pairing.

In that situation I believe moving Stone would be worthwhile. Again it has to be a clear upgrade that is also around the same age of Murphy or Stone. NJ needs wingers. I think Boeds and Stone could get it done, maybe add a 2nd.

Edit: I think very highly of Wideman and would love to add. But the age aspect hurts with him. The whole signing Z before figuring out your top RHD situation was very dumb.

There is no way I trade Boedker and Stone for Larrson. With Stone and he physicality, I don't think I would even do a one for one. Larrson has had only one so so season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad