Line Combos: 2015/2016 Roster come October

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Boy did Panik ever play his way off this team. He is a wasted pro contract and hopefully he gets better with the Marlies. He would likely split to europe next season if things keep in neutral for him. Not the least impressed with him.

Brown Harrington and Nylander look like they made the team but maybe they will be sent down. Its hard to get a read on this. Lou is likely looking hard at making a trade i would think.

It kind of seems that way but he does play that "heavy game" that Babcock is preaching. Panik may just be a slow starter (perhaps how he ended on waivers last season). Slow starter may be a symptom of poor preparation for training camp.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Apparently Leafs holding off until tomorrow for waiver decisions.

Looking more and more likely they're working the phones to offload some players via trade.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Last season he was on the second pairing quite often with Morgan Rielly. This season it looks like he's likely to be third pairing.

Unless Rielly or Gardiner is paired with Phaneuf, and considering that Babcock has made indications he doesnt want the two young puck movers together, we could be looking at a defence core that has Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner all on separate lines.

If that is the case, Rielly may stay paired with Polak as they look eager to continue the Phaneuf/Hunwick experiment. Gardiner has looked best with Harrington so far the preseason but Marincin/Robidas might slot in there too.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
God that would be amazing. They should've moved him long ago but it's better late than never.

Honestly, I think I would enjoy watching Leafs hockey again if Bozak is traded. No joke. It's just painful for me watching him play. Sorry, it's just the way it is for me.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't have a problem with him personally, but with him and Phaneuf there it still feels too much like the old team.

I don't have a problem with him personally. Obviously I don't know the guy. It's just exactly what you said. He just represents mediocrity that we have experienced over the past 6 seasons that he's been here. It's not his fault that he was the #1 C, but that's why we sucked.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I have no issue with Bozak the man - I just don't want him near my favourite teams top six, and he's too expensive for the bottom six.

Send him out of town at the first opportunity.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't have a problem with him personally, but with him and Phaneuf there it still feels too much like the old team.

I need closure on the Burke/Nonis Bozak/Kessel/Lupul/Phaneuf/Clarkson core.
3 to go for the healing and new team feel. It still feels like the same Leaf team at times. Last night was refreshing.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Zero surprises in the demotions. Brown, Nylander, Percy, Loov, Hyman, Kapanen and Carrick all sent down. Harrington not demoted.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Unless Rielly or Gardiner is paired with Phaneuf, and considering that Babcock has made indications he doesnt want the two young puck movers together, we could be looking at a defence core that has Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner all on separate lines.

If that is the case, Rielly may stay paired with Polak as they look eager to continue the Phaneuf/Hunwick experiment. Gardiner has looked best with Harrington so far the preseason but Marincin/Robidas might slot in there too.

I hope somebody makes a late push for Bozak and he's gone by tomorrow. Please!

jvr-kadri-pap
lupul-holland-boyes
grabner-mathias-panik
komorov-spaling-winnik

rielly-polak
phaneuf-hunwick
gardiner-harrington

bernier
reimer

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Zero surprises in the demotions. Brown, Nylander, Percy, Loov, Hyman, Kapanen and Carrick all sent down. Harrington not demoted.

I'm surprised Harrington didn't go with the rest of them. I don't see how he was anymore impressive than Percy or Loov.

I think he ultimately gets cut.

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Grabner-Bozak-Parenteau
Matthias-Holland-Boyes
Winnik-Spaling-Komarov
Arcobello/Panik

Rielly/Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly/Gardiner-Robidas
Marincin-Polak
Hunwick

Bernier
Reimer

Barring trades of course. Next year will look really different.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
jvr-kadri-pap
lupul-holland-boyes
grabner-mathias-panik
komorov-spaling-winnik

rielly-polak
phaneuf-hunwick
gardiner-harrington

bernier
reimer

LOL that lineup is weak. I mean the organization of the lines is just weak.

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Grabner-Holland-Parenteau
Matthias-Komarov-Boyes
Winnik-Spaling-Panik

Komarov was almost 50% on face offs. Matthias on the other hand was 45.5%; the same as Holland on far fewer chances.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Would it be a step back to sell the team to Los Vegas and then get an expansion franchise?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Would it be a step back to sell the team to Los Vegas and then get an expansion franchise?

well then you don't have Rielly, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen, or anyone else. You literally have 0 assets.

So yes it would be a step back.

Also that would never happen, lets be serious.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We got panik on waivers so I doubt we get a pick for him

that was a year ago because he couldn't make a stacked forward Tampa team. I bet there were teams behind us in the waiver order that also tried to claim him.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
I'd rather the kids develop together in the minors. Percy included. No need to ruin players by putting them on this squad.

Let them tear up the AHL, the marlies should be a calder cup favorite

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
has harrington been that good?
honestly i have watched every pre season game bar one, and paid a lot of attention but for the life of me i didnt notice the bugger. how is he i need to know.
i literally have an opinion on every player almost but nothing on harrington, someone please clue me, thanks in advance!!!

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
has harrington been that good?
honestly i have watched every pre season game bar one, and paid a lot of attention but for the life of me i didnt notice the bugger. how is he i need to know.
i literally have an opinion on every player almost but nothing on harrington, someone please clue me, thanks in advance!!!

I've been pumping his tires around here for a while so I'll give it a shot without trying to overinflate.

Has a good junior resume and almost made the Penguins out of camp last year as a 21 year old. Got 10 games as they were going through a bad stretch and injury issues and played big minutes but was sent down as he wasnt quite ready yet. (0 points and -10 but he did have a great game against Washington in which he shut down Ovi well) HF had him ranked the 2nd best prospect in the Penguins organization last year (ahead of Kapanen) and the Penguins board had him the 3rd best prospect (behind Kapanen). Had a dominant year with the baby Penguins last year. "Too good for the AHL" was a term I saw being thrown around. (12 points and +19 in 48 games)

If you don't notice him, it means he is doing his job. Classic "stay at home" dman. Wasnt that great in the first game early but since then has been solid. Nothing special offensively but real steady and smart at the back. Good Possession numbers most games and led the team in blocked shots/+2 over 5 games. Uses his body well, wins puck battles and clears the front of the net effectively. Has great stamina and is capable of 20 min a game. Good PKer so far. Has a decent first pass and has worked well with Gardiner in the two games they have played together. His skating is better than people give him credit for.

Needs to work on his offensive game/knowing when to rush the puck. Was an all-star two way guy in the minors but his offensive toolbox doesnt translate to putting up many points in the NHL. Stick handling and shot are a weakness be he seems to hit the net decently. Occasionally finds himself out of position as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL (not uncommon for any rookie dman). Has showed continued progression year to year but I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing guy. High floor though.

Ceiling: 2nd pairing dependable stay at home minute muncher and 1st PK squad.
Floor: 7th defenceman that can work well with a puck mover and play the 2nd PK squad when called upon.

Most that have followed him seem to agree he's going to be an NHLer and will more than likely become an everyday third pairing guy and full time PKer.

If he were drafted by the Leafs you would see a ton of support for him IMO. For some reason, most around here saw him as some sort of throw in from the Kessel deal but he has a good chance to make a longterm contribution to a winning team here....and if he could develop a half decent offensive game....look out.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Pathetic that Percy was sent down. He was ready to be on the team

No chance. We need all of our youngsters where they belong. Sending them down to the AHL and Marner down further makes me happy that we are doing this right. Rushing anybody is a bad idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad