BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
f856db1b48d7de7ec48a06153e795817a778fe967dd82001c50e55fe0696097e.jpg

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I agree with you, if MacArthur returns this yr I think he would replace Puempel on the Legwand line & Puempel I imagine would be sent back to Bingo. In fact, it would not surprise me to see Smith in the lineup soon who seems to be cleared to play & replace Puempel & I like Puempel but the roster numbers are what they are.

I seriously doubt the Sens will play with the lineup unless they fall out of the playoff hunt.

If the team falls off the pace, I believe Murray will take the opportunity to see more of the young guys Prince, Robinson, etc.

IMO Smith, MacArthur, Neil and Phillips are done for the year.

There is really no point inserting guys into the lineup that haven't played in weeks and think somehow they will perform better than the guys that got them where they are.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Why Anderson? I doubt they will take a chance on trading their supposed #1 goalie who has proven he can at the least play a lot of games & play well. Lehner has shown glimpses of playing well & glimpses of playing terrible, he has barely established himself as a backup in the NHL. I doubt they depend on him if Hammond ever falls back to earth, granted he is younger & suppose to be the future but he may never pan out as well. I don't see a Lehner & Hammond tandem at all but you never know.

Check how many players have contracts for next season, all of the RFAs will likely be extended & there is the potential of re-signing Condra. I count about 16 forwards, 8 defencemen not counting Wideman or Claesson who so many want to see in Ottawa & 3 goalies. They need to move 3 or 4 players in a package to make room & I doubt any of the guys most here want to move will be in those packages. Phillips, Legwand & Neil IMO are trade deadline rentals, I'd be surprised if any of them retire or are moved this summer or before the deadline next season. If they don't send a player or two to Bingo they will have too many players & the roster limit is 23. It should be interesting how they get themselves out of this situation & what there budget will be for next season.

IMO it is really simple why Andy.

Should the Sens' brain trust believe Hammond is the real deal and are willing to offer him a one way contract, then there is no need for Andy at $4.7M as a backup.

Lehner is 23 year old with potential costing $2M, perfect for a back up role for another year or two.

IMO the only reason anyone would want to sign Hammond to a one-way deal, yet keep Anderson and trade Lehner, is because they aren't convinced Hammond is as good as his 12 game run and want to hedge their bets.

This thinking may work on HFB but not in real life with real money involved.

Should Hammond continue to play like he has until season's end, then BM and company are faced with an extremely difficult decision.

Re your view of what the Sens' must do in the off-season, I'm not sure it as clear cut as you seem to think.

Whenever the path forward seems unclear, refer to what the owner has said is his strategic direction.

Melnyk has been clear, draft well, then spend on development to enable continuous long term success.

So with what looks like too many bodies, the draft and develop mantra clearly indicates the players at risk of trade aren't likely the youth.

Of course for every rule there is an exception, for example Chaisson might be expendable if Robinson is ready, but in general this team will favour youth over regressing veterans.

I fully expect BM to do whatever is necessary to move the redundant pieces and add another player or two from Bingo.

As for Legwand, Phillips and Neil, they won't be trade deadline moves, something will happen long before then IMO.

Last edited:

BigBush*

Macarthur was blowing chunks this year. Turris and MM have look 100x better since he's been out. I don't think it's coincidence.

He had a great start to the season. Then I'd be willing to bet a lot he was playing through an injury. I remember seeing him slowing down and a bunch of times seeing him getting knocked down and struggling to get up.

Let's not have short term memory here, Mac has been great for the Sens, lets not ship him out after a few months of poor play. A healthy Mac could REALLY help this line up

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
IMO it is really simple why Andy.

Should the Sens' brain trust believe Hammond is the real deal and are willing to offer him a one way contract, then there is no need for Andy at $4.7M as a backup.

Lehner is 23 year old with potential costing $2M, perfect for a back up role for another year or two.

IMO the only reason anyone would want to sign Hammond to a one-way deal, yet keep Anderson and trade Lehner, is because they aren't convinced Hammond is as good as his 12 game run and want to hedge their bets.
Yep. Also, this reasoning will prevail with 99% probability and Anderson is not going anywhere this offseason.
Basically there are 3 realistic possibilities: sign & trade Hammond, sign Hammond and trade Lehner, just let Hammond walk.
The latter is the only one I'd be upset about. Former two are both wins, especially if trade is out of conference.
Hammond is small sample size, and Lehner hasn't done anything this year to prove he can be a starter. You just don't trade your only proven starter leaving two huge question marks in goal.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Would like to see these players dealt:

Lehner
Cowen (for good return of better D)
Chiasson RFA
Legwand
Smith
Greening (bought out)
Gryba

Resign Condra, Hammond
Sign Zibanejad, Ryan, Hoffman aslong term as we can. Add 2 or 3 years to Pageau's contract after July 1st.

Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
MacArthur Turris Stone
Michalek Pageau xxxxx
Puempel Lazar Condra
Prince Robinson Neil

Methot Karlsson
Xxxxx Ceci
Wiercioch Xxxxx
Boro - Phillips

Need a top 9 winger in trade, a top 4 D in trade/UFA. Better bottom pairing RD UFA/trade.

We need to really move depth off our roster, add at least one quality D. Hope to have 3 scoring lines and a sick Pageau/Condra checking line.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
MacArthur Turris Stone
Michalek Pageau xxxxx
Puempel Lazar Condra
Prince Robinson Neil

Methot Karlsson
Xxxxx Ceci
Wiercioch Xxxxx
Boro - Phillips

Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Michalek Turris Stone
MacArthur Pageau Lazar
Puempel Smith Condra
Neil Robinson

Methot Karlsson
Weircioch Ceci
Borowiecki Gryba
Phillips

Smith is kept over the summer. His trade value is too low, yet he makes under 2 million for two more seasons, and is a capable swiss army knife at the 4C position. If he's traded, it's at next years deadline at the earliest to increase the return.

I keep Gryba as well. 1.3 million for the tools he brings is a bargain, and his value would be higher as a rental at the deadline should we choose to move him then. If not, he's a solid right side stay at home PKer for us into the future.

Cowen is dealt no questions asked, alongside Legwand, Chiasson, Prince, and whichever netminder cashes us in a better return. Phillips and Neil rotate in and out of the pressbox and get shipped out for a chance at the cup at the deadline.

Edit: The above trades ideally return futures. Any defensive help comes via free agency, while our forward corps is pretty set.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoff-Zib-Ryan
X-Turris-Stone
Mac-Smith-Milo
Condra-JGP-Lazar
Robinson

Meth-Karlsson
Wier-Ceci
Boro-Gryba
Wideman

Out (or minors): Cowen, Phillips, Neil, Greening, Legwand

Hopefully #2LW can be found during the summer, If not Milo/Mac can alternate.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
My hopes and dreams

Hoffman 4 million/5 years
Stone 3 million/ 2 years
Zibenejad 2.5 million/ 2 years
Condra 2 million/ 3 years
Hammond I have no idea

Get rid of Greening, Cowen and Legwand at all costs.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
My hopes and dreams

Hoffman 4 million/5 years
Stone 3 million/ 2 years
Zibenejad 2.5 million/ 2 years
Condra 2 million/ 3 years
Hammond I have no idea

Get rid of Greening, Cowen and Legwand at all costs.

So based on another small sample size, keep Wiercoich and trade Cowen.

FOTM seems to be the order of the day on this board.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
People who want to get rid of/dump Cowen should not be trusted, especially in favor of a player like Wiercioch, who is closer to the flavor of the week than the flavor of the month.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Small sample size? Cowen has been awful for quite some time now (2 seasons)

Incorrect.

He was awful last season coming off of a major injury

This season he has played fine. He was playing very well in a top 4 role with Ceci for awhile, he's just inconsistent.

People see what they want to see with Cowen.

BigBush*

Incorrect.

He was awful last season coming off of a major injury

This season he has played fine. He was playing very well in a top 4 role with Ceci for awhile, he's just inconsistent.

People see what they want to see with Cowen.

Yup, some people see what they want to see, and still see a 9th overall pick...

I don't think he's been awful, hes just a bottom pairing Dman with too high of a cap hit. We have Boro for that

BigBush*

I wouldn't trade either Cowen nor Wier. Too early to judge.

Ya, wait until next season to get a better judge of who to keep. The team in general will move on from their current vets and everyone will be in their core.
I get very excited thinking about tho team in 2 years

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Someone's gotta go.
We just can't sit on 5 bottom-pairing defencemen with Wideman, Claesson and Wikstrand all ready for an extended look.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Small sample size? Cowen has been awful for quite some time now (2 seasons)

Disagree on Cowen, he played quite well after his early seasons struggles and the only reason he came out of the lineup was a suspension.

Fact is for most of the year many on this board were calling for Weircoich to be traded, now he is the "perfect" 4th D on the team?

This is FOTM IMO.

While PW has played well of late, so has the whole team, but the fact is his weaknesses remain (slow & lacking strength).

BigBush*

Disagree on Cowen, he played quite well after his early seasons struggles and the only reason he came out of the lineup was a suspension.

Fact is for most of the year many on this board were calling for Weircoich to be traded, now he is the "perfect" 4th D on the team?

This is FOTM IMO.

While PW has played well of late, so has the whole team, but the fact is his weaknesses remain (slow & lacking strength).

I don't see Cowen or Weircioch as part of the future. I don't see how a team can win a cup with these guys in your top 4 with the way they've played over the past 2 seasons

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Someone's gotta go.
We just can't sit on 5 bottom-pairing defencemen with Wideman, Claesson and Wikstrand all ready for an extended look.

Phillips can go.

Wideman plays on the right side, so unless you are talking about the a spot on the roster then that argument is moot.

Claesson deserves a look, but not at the expense of either Cowen nor Wier. Like I already mentioned, Phillips is the one that should be going.

Wikstrand don't think will be in the conversation until mid season next year or ever. It all depends on how he acclimates to the NA game.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Yup, some people see what they want to see, and still see a 9th overall pick...

I don't think he's been awful, hes just a bottom pairing Dman with too high of a cap hit. We have Boro for that

People were saying the same things about Hoffman a year ago.

Got lots of these :)laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:) when I suggested Hoffman was a better player than Conacher during the 2013-14 training camp.

There isn't a single timeline for player development, specially when a young player misses time through injury.

Cowen needs time, the Sens will likely show patience with him, unless one of the younger guys passes him which isn't likely in the near term.

BigBush*

People were saying the same things about Hoffman a year ago.

Got lots of these :)laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:) when I suggested Hoffman was a better player than Conacher during the 2013-14 training camp.

There isn't a single timeline for player development, specially when a young player misses time through injury.

Cowen needs time, the Sens will likely show patience with him, unless one of the younger guys passes him which isn't likely in the near term.
Patience runs out when guys are almost out of their RFA years and have a 3.1 mill cap hit making 4.5 mill in real salary.
I'd give PW and Cowen 1 more year before making a tough decision on what to do with these guys and whether they will be part of the core

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad