Speculation: 2015-2016 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
PLAYERS CONTRACTS WITH NEW YORK RANGERS ORGANISATION 2015-2016
[table="head;width=4200]Nr |Pos |Player| Caphit| Status |Team| Drafted |Age 2015

1| F | Kreider, Chris | $2,475,000 | RFA 2016|New York Rangers/NHL |R1 #19 NYR (2009) |24
2| F | Hayes, Kevin (ELC)| $900,000* | RFA 2016|New York Rangers/NHL|R1 #24 Chicago (2010) - signed w/NYR as UFA |23
3| D | Boyle, Dan | $4,500,000 | UFA 2016| New York Rangers/NHL|Undrafted|39
4| F | Hagelin, Carl| $3,000,000| UFA 2016| NeYorkagers/NHL| R6 #168 NYR (2007)| 27
5| F | Moore, Dominic | $1,500,000 | UFA 2016| New York Rangers/NHL| R4 #95 NYR (2000)|35
6| G | New backup pickup| $900,000| UFA 2016| ???| unknown| ??
7| F | Miller, J.T. | $1,300,000* |RFA 2017 |New York Rangers/NHL |R1 #15 NYR (2011)| 22
8| F | Fast(h), Jesper |$1,100,000| RFA 2017| New York Rangers/NHL| R6 #157 NYR (2010)| 24
9| D | McIlrath, Dylan |$850.000 |RFA 2017|Hartford Wolfpack/AHL |R1 #10 NYR (2010) | 23
10|F | Lindberg, Oscar |$840,000 |RFA 2017 |Hartford Wolfpack/AHL |R2 #57 PHX (2010) |24
11| F | Klingberg, Carl|$660,000| RFA 2015| Hartford Wolfpack/AHL| R2 #34 Atlanta (2009)|24
12| D | Yandle, Keith |$2.625,000 |UFA 2017| New York Rangers/NHL | R4 #105 Phoenix Coyotes (2005)| 29
13| D | Kline, Kevin | $2,900,000 | UFA 2018| New York Rangers/NHL | R2 #37 Nashville Predators (2003)|31
14| F | Nash, Rick (NMC??)| $7,800,000| UFA 2019| New York Rangers/NHL| R1 #1 Columbus Blue Jackets (2002)| 31
15| D | McDonagh, Ryan |$4,700,000| UFA 2019| New York Rangers/NHL| R1 #12 Montreal (2007) |26
16| F | Zuccarello, Mats | $4,500,000 | UFA 2019| New York Rangers/NHL |Undrafted (started w NYR) |28
17 | D | Girardi, Dan (NMC => NTC)| $5,500,000| UFA 2020| New York Rangers/NHL |Undrafted (started w NYR)| 31
18| F | Brassard, Derick | $5,000,000 | UFA 2020| New York Rangers/NHL | R1 #6 Columbus Blue Jackets (2006)| 28
19| G | Lundqvist, Henrik (NMC)| $8,500,000| UFA 2021| New York Rangers/NHL|R7 #208 NYR (2000)| 33
20| D | Staal, Marc | $5,750,000| UFA 2021| New York Rangers/NHL| R1 #12 NYR (2005)| 28
21 | F | Stepan, Derek |$6,000,000| UFA 2021| New York Rangers/NHL| R2 #51 NYR (2008)| 25[/table]

TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $71,500,000
CAP PAYROLL: $
BONUSES: $ For Hayes
CAP SPACE (21-man roster - 12 FWDs, 7 D, 2 G): ???

Trade Talbot for pick/prospect and sign a cheaper UFA backup option
Dump Glass for pucks or whatever
Let MSL, Hunwick and Sheppard walk
Sign Stepan long term
Give a one year home discounted deal to Hagelin
Still need to add another fwd. Preferabely with size and grit. Will not fit
Something Else will have to give
I wish somebody would take Dan Boyle

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yah I assume all of the NHL teams that have analytics departments are all just morons that believe in the sports equivalent of Scientology lmfao.

Director, Player Care & Development / Analytics & Hockey Technology Jim Sullivan (NYR)

Lookie here, the Rangers *DO* have Analytics Dept. and somehow Girardi is still on the 1st pair.

Amazing!

Wiz for Girardi, people? Really?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This, it's more of an eye-test anyways. Too many times we have seen plays like these:

I really thought he was playing well down the stretch and in round 1, but the same fears I had from the LAK series have returned.

Meh. Not saying that's a great play. It isn't.

But, from someone who's played D (perspective):

First instinct there is "oh ****, this is right in front of my goaltender and get it to the boards ASAP because we're getting mauled in our own zone". Obviously, when you look at it from above and see that no one is around it's a bit easier to criticize it. He probably should've been able to "feel" where the Caps players were there and taken more time and made the clear.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The interest Schneider had during the 2013 draft says otherwise. The Oilers offered 7th overall (Darnell Nurse) and a few other picks reportedly for Schnider. Gillis didn't want to trade within the division, so he shipped him off for the 9th overall (Bo Horvat). All of this while Schneider's career high in GP was 33.

Now that he has a full season under his belt, his value has only risen.

Thats two teams without goalies being interested in him. And why does that make him top 3 in the world lol?

I am not trashing him. I am just questioning if he is -- top 3 in the world. Top 10 in the world. The kid has not even won a game in the POs yet. He has never carried a team to the POs. Stats? Look at what guys like Manny Fernandez and co put up in Minny while playing for a trapping team. NJD was way too old, but it was a helluva bigger challenge playing them than say EDM or Phx this year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ok, I've figured out what I would do. I haven't had a compass for how to go forward, but now I have an idea that I am hooked on lol.

Let MSL walk, retire. I don't mind him right now, he is trying and coming oh so close. But he is breaking down fast and he is just not having fun here. Don't think he has fitted in well in the dressing room, does he really want to keep playing? If he is willing to take a cheap contract I would keep him and adjust the lineup below accordingly but I think he might walk. Could depend on how the season plays out.

I think the guys in the dressing room loves Carl Hagelin, he is a core part of this team. I am sure he is willing to sign for a decent rate. Give him a one year deal and then see what happens.

This gives us a bit of a maneuverbility (but still very little). What does we need? Do we need anything? Yes I think we do. Its only mid-May, but over the last handful of years we will have played a lot more hockey than anyone else. I think part of MSL's downfall is playing in June last year, for example. It just shows, on us and previous teams having made the Finals. The short off-season has a huge impact, the long on ice season wears you down even more. We need -- fresh legs -- and -- depth. But we have very little room and we need to be creative.

I would sign two KHL players that I think would fit this team really well, who knows what Chicago can do with Panarin (who would have been an interesting option too, but I think he fits better in Chi), but I wonder if my two top options from the KHL wouldn't have been Victor Tikhonov and Sergei Plotnikov. Both have good size, Tik is around 6'2-3 and Plotnikov is a thicker 6'2.

Tik has really broken out the last couple of years. He has a great step on the ice and can get around a defender, a really good right handed shot, he works real hard on the ice and moves the puck well. Plays a lot of center but is as comfortable on the wing. He is a good PKer, good forechecker and can be fantastic in 1 on 1 stituations and on the rush. Real high intensity player that plays well in traffic. Think somewhat of Afinegenov, but he has more to his games than being able to rush the puck. He is a UFA, but I am hoping that he is willing to accept a 1 year deal to prove himself in the NHL. Born and raised in the US and speaks English as his mother language. Best kept secret in Hockey. Maybe the NHL is not for him, but I think he would thrive here for sure. Could be the best player for some teams in this league. Super ambitious kid, lost both his father and grandpa (the legend) lately and is a bit fragile mentaly, but I think he would thrive under AV in NY. Super ambitious kid, super ambitious. Has lead the WCH's in scoring, has led the Gagarin Cup in goals scored, has if not led been at the top of scoring in a WJCs. And has really kept developing well the last years. 27 y/o.

Plotnikov has played with Tik for the Russian national team whom he has great chemistry with. Had a great WCH's last year which was his break out year. Plotnikov is loved in Russia because he plays a very non-russian style. I was watching a pre-WCH game between Russia and Sweden, and instantly you notice Plotnikov going after a rebound chopping at the goalie like he is Adam Graves playing the most important game of his life. Very good and strong along the boards and good infront of the net. Plays real agressive all over the ice and seems to have a real great attitude. Decent shot and skill level overall, what stands out is his play around the net and how he can skate with it along the boards. Plotnikov has bought himself out of his KHL contract to go to the NHL next year. 24 y/o. Will sign a ELC.

Plotnikov and Tichonov are winners already. I am not naive, but we would have no issues of like Semin/Zherdev type with these two. They would love the challenge they would get in NY and 110% be focused on winning a Cup and provide us with some real fresh legs and new dimensions to our game in that quest. They have great chemistry together.

Team:
Zucc-Brass-Nash//Let these three keep building on the chemistry they developed this year. We need Nash to modify his game and start to be able to feed off his unit more, its a must for him to age well.
Kreider-Step-Fast//A real 2-way line. Let Fast keep developing and carry the offensive game he has found into the regular season.
Plotnikov-Hayes-Tikhonov//I am drooling of how well these 3 could protect the puck, could become basically a solid 1st line with some time. Hayes can open things up and protect the puck real well. So can the two Russians. Tik can win games with his speed and 1 on 1 ability, along with his shot. Plotnikov is great around the net and will score some important goals too for sure.
Hagelin-Moore-Miller//Non of the wingers are 4th lineers, but we would be a 15 minute a line type of team. With injuires, with all said and done they would have played the majority of the season in bigger roles no matter what.
Glass

McD-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Yandle-Boyle
McIlrath

Hank

We are going to be more tired next year, its going to be an even bigger challenge to go for it again than it has been this year. With the new energy infused to the line-up above, how super competetive it would be in camp etc, and the depth of it, we could really challenge for it again.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Will not argue that Wisniewski takes bad penalties. That is definitely an issue in his game.

Wisniewski got injured and never got a chance to make an impression. Simon Depres has been an amazing pickup for Anaheim and for some reason Boudreau won't sit Clayton Stoner, who is the human embodiment of useless in hockey.

I know this is going to boil down to another stupid "the coaches usage!!!!" argument so I'm already done here.

Nah, once again it boils down to your poor evaluation skills when it comes to defensemen.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

First instinct there is "oh ****, this is right in front of my goaltender and get it to the boards ASAP because we're getting mauled in our own zone". Obviously, when you look at it from above and see that no one is around it's a bit easier to criticize it. He probably should've been able to "feel" where the Caps players were there and taken more time and made the clear.

to go a bit further with your analysis. as a d-man especially if your team is scrambling in the crease area (and you can see him and another player bumping into each other as well as the winger well off the boards which is a pretty good indication that the team was running around in that gif) you want to get the puck away from there pronto and going up the boards you're expecting (hoping) someone will be there like always happens when a team hasn't lost its positioning.

that example of kovacic's is not a very good one to make his point with.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone clarify something in regards to the rules of a NMC in a contract?
Is it correct that a player can only exercise a NMC and approve the team only once for the length of the contract? Or does that player have the right to approve trades and exercise that NMC as often as they wish for the length of the contract?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Every single attack on Girardi boils down to him not being particularly good with the puck and driving offense off of that. There needs to be a realization of that not being every player's job, and certainly not being Girardi's job.

He is a safe, steady, defensive defenseman. Every team thats ever won anything has had at least one, and every team that will win anything will have one. Im not particularly interested in having 6 Yandles on the backline, but some people are.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
some people seriously think wisniewski > Girardi? :shakehead

I am not that big on Girardi but wisniewski absolutely blows in his own end and can't crack a top 6 that features clayton stoner. Not cheaper, not younger, sucks at D, provides a bit of O...

If Stralman was a Ranger then perhaps you consider making the trade

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Every single attack on Girardi boils down to him not being particularly good with the puck and driving offense off of that. There needs to be a realization of that not being every player's job, and certainly not being Girardi's job.

He is a safe, steady, defensive defenseman. Every team thats ever won anything has had at least one, and every team that will win anything will have one. Im not particularly interested in having 6 Yandles on the backline, but some people are.
Couldn't agree with you more. He has a role, he knows it well, and he is very, very good at it. Many things on hf have surprised me to see after starting to browse here a few years back. But one of the things that continues to leave me scratching my head is how underrated G can be here sometimes.

some people seriously think wisniewski > Girardi? :shakehead

I am not that big on Girardi but wisniewski absolutely blows in his own end and can't crack a top 6 that features clayton stoner. Not cheaper, not younger, sucks at D, provides a bit of O...

If Stralman was a Ranger then perhaps you consider making the trade
There are opinions, bad opinions, and uneducated opinions. My personal assessment would be that any premise of wisniewski being better than G would without doubt fall into the latter bucket. I mean c'mon now, really...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

It has nothing to do with his offensive output. Stralman put up 13 points last year and I take him over Girardi without blinking.

And it's a lot deeper than "he sucks with the puck". He sucks with the puck, and sucks without the puck. He's a horrific neutral zone defender with piss poor gap control at his own blue line, his poor skating kills him against teams with even adequate forechecking, he's notoriously reliant on his partner to make plays with the puck because he just can't do it himself, he can't pass out of his own zone, can't transition the puck, can't skate himself out of trouble with the puck, isn't strong in front of his own net, and he has to be the weakest defender under pressure on the team.

Oh, but THANK THE LORD he can block shots.

He is a safe, steady, defensive defenseman.

To quote probably my least favorite hockey figure of all time.

"Safe is death". And Girardi is this to a "t".

Every team thats ever won anything has had at least one, and every team that will win anything will have one.

Of course every team has won with defensive defensemen.

Unfortunately those defensive defensemen are usually dominant three zone players, something Girardi isn't even close to.

Im not particularly interested in having 6 Yandles on the backline, but some people are.

Your strawman is bad.

There are opinions, bad opinions, and uneducated opinions. My personal assessment would be that any premise of wisniewski being better than G would without doubt fall into the latter bucket. I mean c'mon now, really...

Uneducated opinion lmao.

Get a clue.

You don't have to agree with me but I absolutely put thought and evidence into my opinions.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
tsn's profile on wisniewski:

the flaws part of his bio reads:

'lacks discipline as a defender, including his positioning, decision making and over aggressiveness at times. is physically strong but lacks ideal size and reach. would be a more valuable defenseman if he played a more controlled game'.

so then there is his injury history:

3/9/07 right knee--out 15 games
11/28/07 facial injury--out 3 games
12/30/07 sprained right knee--out 10 games
9/11/08 right knee surgery--out 28 games
5/6/09 chest injury--missed 1 playoff game
10/11/09 right shoulder--out 3 games
2/5/11 flu--missed 2 games
4/26/11 undisclosed injury--missed 1 playoff game
12/3/11 broken left ankle--out 17 games
2/19/12 groin--missed 2 games
3/20/12 concussion--out 7 games
2/5/13 concussion--missed 2 games
2/15/13 personal reasons--missed 2 games
2/26/13 broken foot--out 14 games
11/22/13 flu--missed 1 game
12/17/13 upper body injury (concussion?)--out 6 games
10/29/14 broken finger--out 3 games
2/7/15 lower body injury--out 2 games
3/3/15 left foot injury--out 3 games

all in all 120 regular season games lost to injury and 2 playoff games.

which leads us into his suspension history.

1. 1 game 3/12/08
2. 2 games 11/2/09
3. 8 games 3/18/10
4. 2 games 10/12/10
5. 8 games 5/24/11

it's been a while since his last suspension--even so there can't be too many nhl'ers who've been suspended 5 times. matt cooke? raffi torres?--i'm not even sure.

so to summarize--there are people who would swap out girardi for this guy?--yeah there are. wisniewski has a great shot and some offense to his game--but he's not a great defenseman--one reason he's moved around a lot. he has a fairly extensive injury history and he has a fairly extensive suspension history. girardi's next suspension will be his first. he's been almost impossible to knock out of the lineup even though he's a physical player who constantly sacrifices his body. he takes few penalties because he is disciplined something tsn's profile of wisniewski faults him on.

imo it would be pretty silly for the rangers to even think of replacing girardi with wisniewski--let alone do it.

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Replacing girardi with wisniewski? Where in the world is this coming from?
Girardi is the epitome of a steady workhorse. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
It has nothing to do with his offensive output. Stralman put up 13 points last year and I take him over Girardi without blinking.

And it's a lot deeper than "he sucks with the puck". He sucks with the puck, and sucks without the puck. He's a horrific neutral zone defender with piss poor gap control at his own blue line, his poor skating kills him against teams with even adequate forechecking, he's notoriously reliant on his partner to make plays with the puck because he just can't do it himself, he can't pass out of his own zone, can't transition the puck, can't skate himself out of trouble with the puck, isn't strong in front of his own net, and he has to be the weakest defender under pressure on the team.

Oh, but THANK THE LORD he can block shots.

To quote probably my least favorite hockey figure of all time.

"Safe is death". And Girardi is this to a "t".

Of course every team has won with defensive defensemen.

Unfortunately those defensive defensemen are usually dominant three zone players, something Girardi isn't even close to.

Your strawman is bad.

Uneducated opinion lmao.

Get a clue.

You don't have to agree with me but I absolutely put thought and evidence into my opinions.
Didn't know it was you and didn't read your opinion. But I still don't see how someone who knows hockey and the realities of both players would rationally pick wisniewski. So in your case maybe it wasn't uneducated, but instead possibly due to the irrational conclusions that are oftentimes the product of severe mental bias. You're probably blind to the ridiculousness of the conclusion due to it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Here are the premises

-Dan Girardi = your #2, top-pair RHD and a good #2 on most other teams
-Kevin Klein & Dan Boyle != top pairing Defensemen
-James wisniewski != top pairing Defenseman
-James wisniewski ! cheaper, younger, or better at defense than Dan Girardi

Conclusion: Dan Girardi for James Wisniewski == terrible trade

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

What I see is our player on the top left (is it Kreids?) peel off his guy and then not skate hard to the puck. Prior to that, G probably sees him coming down the boards and thinks that's where he is prior to swinging around and throwing the puck up the boards. I think he thought Kreids might be along the wall and could win the puck battle and then clear it. I dunno. But when I look at the sequence, it's our guy on the top left, which I believe to be Kreids, that doesn't seem to make the right call (and I don't think he skated hard enough to the puck afterwards either).

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
tsn's profile on wisniewski:
long quote

His injury history is also a very good point. I forgot he's played a full season like twice in his career.

Wasn't the last time Wis was suspended for the Sean Avery thing either way? Does that really count?

I don't like the premise that Wisniewski isn't good defensively. He tends to cheat a little and get over aggressive on his man, which is something noticeable and something people remember. But I think that could work in the kind of system we have. He plays a hard game with very good skating ability, where there's a heavy emphasis on defensive structure.

Wis has also played on consistently bad defensive teams (hell, bad teams in general), and some teams with laughably poor defensive structure. Whether you think he's a large contributor to that or not, it certainly hurts perception of his game, whether it's just or not.

And for all of Wisniewski's supposed defensive struggles, he's only had 4 team seasons out of his 13 where he had a positive dCAimpact (you want a negative rating here). Meaning, he's only had 4 seasons where he had a negative possession impact in terms of Corsi Against.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Here are the premises

-Dan Girardi = your #2, top-pair RHD and a good #2 on most other teams

I count 5 teams where Girardi is among their two best defensemen.

I count 4 teams where Girardi would be on their top pair.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
His injury history is also a very good point. I forgot he's played a full season like twice in his career.

Wasn't the last time Wis was suspended for the Sean Avery thing either way? Does that really count?

I don't like the premise that Wisniewski isn't good defensively. He tends to cheat a little and get over aggressive on his man, which is something noticeable and something people remember. But I think that could work in the kind of system we have. He plays a hard game with very good skating ability, where there's a heavy emphasis on defensive structure.

Wis has also played on consistently bad defensive teams (hell, bad teams in general), and some teams with laughably poor defensive structure. Whether you think he's a large contributor to that or not, it certainly hurts perception of his game, whether it's just or not.

And for all of Wisniewski's supposed defensive struggles, he's only had 4 team seasons out of his 13 where he had a positive dCAimpact (you want a negative rating here). Meaning, he's only had 4 seasons where he had a negative possession impact in terms of Corsi Against.

Look, I'll just be blunt here and ask a question... Since this would be such a good trade, and since it's just oh so clear how superior Wis is (lmfao), then do you think there's an NHL organization that would pull the trigger on the trade if they were the ones who had G? Cause I don't think there's one that would, if they had the option. And if no organization would actually make that deal, why is that? Are they just not as gifted with analysis as you and the few others making the proposal?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Look, I'll just be blunt here and ask a question... Since this would be such a good trade, and since it's just oh so clear how superior Wis is (lmfao), then do you think there's an NHL organization that would pull the trigger on the trade if they were the ones who had G? Cause I don't think there's one that would, if they had the option. And if no organization would actually make that deal, why is that? Are they just not as gifted with analysis as you and the few others making the proposal?

I don't work for the NHL so I can't answer this question (neither can you).

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I don't work for the NHL so I can't answer this question (neither can you).

Sure you can. It's called having an opinion. Do you, as an opinion, think there's a team that if they had G, would trade him for Wis. Do you actually think there's an organization that would? Cause no way in hell the Rangers would. So something must be really wrong with their decision making personnel I guess right? So which team would get it right and make this oh so obvious pull the trigger trade?

And no, no way I could know for certain... But I'd still bet my life savings that if you polled every single GM in the league, not one would admit to wanting that trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad