2015-2016 NBA Regular Season Discussion - Part 3

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Knicks are in a bind, ideally they would shed Melo and the rest of the old guys who are way past their best before date and build around Porzingis, but it is hard to see Melo accepting a trade anywhere and it's hard to see anyone taking a flyer on him. I don't see any coach fixing that mess.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Knicks are in a bind, ideally they would shed Melo and the rest of the old guys who are way past their best before date and build around Porzingis, but it is hard to see Melo accepting a trade anywhere and it's hard to see anyone taking a flyer on him. I don't see any coach fixing that mess.

Yup.
As much as I love KP, I'm not certain he's the type of player you build around anyhow. I see him as being a very good #2 on a team, not necessarily a guy who can carry a team. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Problem is there just isn't anything there beyond KP and Melo.
Grant, Galloway, Early etc... aren't going to be world-beaters in any respect and the rest of the team is old. Need to be smart in FA, but I'm not certain who we can attract at this point. No first rounder this year either...

Don't think it'd be incorrect to say we're probably in the worst shape at the moment of any club not based in Brooklyn.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They got it right. Kawhi deserved it. Draymond might have had a good case last season because Kawhi missed close to 20 games but not this season.

As for Whiteside, it's cool to see him finish third in DPOY voting in just his second season in the NBA. He has come a long way. Even this season he had some brutal stretches, got suspended, got booted from the starting lineup, etc but managed to get it together after the all-star break.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
They got it right. Kawhi deserved it. Draymond might have had a good case last season because Kawhi missed close to 20 games but not this season.

As for Whiteside, it's cool to see him finish third in DPOY voting in just his second season in the NBA. He has come a long way. Even this season he had some brutal stretches, got suspended, got booted from the starting lineup, etc but managed to get it together after the all-star break.

Whiteside seems like a massive *******. He's become a good player, but seems like a dolt.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
As per Woj:

Adrian Wojnarowski
‏@WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Minnesota is engaged in serious talks with Tom Thibodeau to become President of Basketball Ops and coach, with Scott Layden as GM.

This Wolves team with a legit head coach...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice job by the Wolves getting this done. It's hard not to like this. They now have a top 10 coach (probably top 5) in there to coach KAT, Wiggins, LaVine, Rubio, 2016 1st round pick, etc. He'll help them reach their potential.

I just hope he's willing to be patient and doesn't use the fact that he has full control to go for a quicker fix. They were already trending up so it's not like he'll have to wait too long either way.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
What do you guys think they do?

I think they need to add a stretch 4 who can play D at the very least. Dieng is a C, and Blejica isn't a starter on a playoff team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What do you guys think they do?

I think they need to add a stretch 4 who can play D at the very least. Dieng is a C, and Blejica isn't a starter on a playoff team.

They need more shooting. A stretch four definitely seems like a good idea if we're assuming KAT will play C. In free agency, the best one might be Ryan Anderson but he's probably getting overpaid (like everyone else) and he's really bad defensively.

They could also be in a position to draft either Murray or Hield so they might get some shooting in the backcourt there.

I guess we can't rule out any trades either since Thibs and Layden have no attachment to any of these guys. IMO, KAT and Wiggins would be the only guys who are untouchable and in the starting lineup for sure next season.

Last edited:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I think they sign a PF like Marvin Williams on an overpay for 2-3 years. Can play D, stretch the floor and give them options. A light weight Horford (who would be ideal next to KAT). I also think they go after Kent Bazemore. 3 and D guy who can play both SG and SF. Lets them roll out something like:

I think they also take Dragan Bender with their pick. A 7 ft who has all the tools to be an ideal fit next to KAT. You'll have to wait 2 years to buy him out, but after that you get a cheap top talent for a few years while you extend KAT and Wiggins.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Nice.

IMO they need a SG/SF type who can stroke it from the outside.
Yeah they targeted Khris Middleton at the deadline which would be really good for them but I can see why they balked at the asking price of Rubio+. Also not sure if MIL needs to move Middleton. Giannis is their PG next year anyways.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Sam Amick@sam_amick
The Kings search will be very thorough, w/ lots of names, but one previously-unknown candidate has emerged: Brian Shaw. Mutual interest.

So we've got Mark Jackson, Vinny Del Negro, Sam Mitchell and Brian Shaw.

...Go Vinny Del Negro? (If you're a Kings fan? Virt? Clowe?)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think they sign a PF like Marvin Williams on an overpay for 2-3 years. Can play D, stretch the floor and give them options. A light weight Horford (who would be ideal next to KAT). I also think they go after Kent Bazemore. 3 and D guy who can play both SG and SF. Lets them roll out something like:

I think they also take Dragan Bender with their pick. A 7 ft who has all the tools to be an ideal fit next to KAT. You'll have to wait 2 years to buy him out, but after that you get a cheap top talent for a few years while you extend KAT and Wiggins.

Actually I really like Williams/Bazemore idea.

Not sure what they do in the draft but I can see them being tempted going for a guy who can help them much sooner.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Not bad. I like Bazemore.

Williams is solid too. If they go that route with the undersized PF, Deng could be an option as well. He looks great in that role for the Heat right now and Thibs knows him well.

Jimmy Butler is also a Thibs guy.......

Sam Amick@sam_amick
The Kings search will be very thorough, w/ lots of names, but one previously-unknown candidate has emerged: Brian Shaw. Mutual interest.

Wait, what is going on here? I haven't followed their coaching search at all. For their sake I hope these are just some early candidates with more to come. I guess Del Negro would be the best option from that list but still not very appealing.

Last edited:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Sam Amick@sam_amick

I think del Negro gets a bit more hate than he deserves, but I really don't want any of those guys. Sam Mitchell is bad (he got interviewed this morning and is going to dinner with management tonight), Brian Shaw's Nuggets were not very good, and Mark Jackson is a snake - last thing Boogie needs.

I'm not sure who they should get, but some of these names are just...yikes. I think I remember reading they have interest in a Spurs assistant but never saw follow up on that.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
On the topic of Thibs and the Wolves in general, I would laugh so hard if looking back on it, Wiggins getting traded ends up as the first step on the way to the promised land for the T-Wolves while Love and LeBron win jack **** with the Cavs.

Poetic justice if i ever seen it, especially for Wiggins. He wasn't good enough for the king, but he was good enough to help lead his team to the NBA championship. (maybe)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
KAT at C and Bender at 4 would pose nightmares for other teams. Bender can play point forward, step out, man the boards, etc. He would need to work on his D like any European trained player, but IMHO he would be a terrific fit in Minny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad