GDT: 2015-2016 Dallas Stars Training Camp & Preseason

KriminellPipa

Jul 1, 2013
How has Jordie Benn looked?

Cause if our young D-prospects can't push him of the cliff then I'm pretty concerned, given his last couple of seasons.:help:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
How has Jordie Benn looked?

Cause if our young D-prospects can't push him of the cliff then I'm pretty concerned, given his last couple of seasons.:help:

Jordie was part of a solid 2nd pair for long stretches of the last two years, and if he continues to have good chemistry with Demers I doubt that pair will be broken up. He's not going anywhere and he'll most likely be playing.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm fine with Janmark over McKenzie. We've got the flexibility to pick and choose who we want with our bottom 6, especially once Ritchie returns.

I think they'll both get at least a couple dozen NHL games this season, at a minimum. Likely more, especially if there are injuries.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Jordie was part of a solid 2nd pair for long stretches of the last two years, and if he continues to have good chemistry with Demers I doubt that pair will be broken up. He's not going anywhere and he'll most likely be playing.

That's a shame because I don't buy into the idea that he was solid for long stretches. This team won't compete for the playoffs until he's our 6/7/8th D man.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
That's a shame because I don't buy into the idea that he was solid for long stretches. This team won't compete for the playoffs until he's our 6/7/8th D man.

It depends how you interpret Demers' monster numbers and the playoff appearance the year before. There's plenty of evidence that the team can be successful despite his blunders, and that NHL coaches will stick to experience over potential as long as they can.

KriminellPipa

Jul 1, 2013

I think you and I have different views of him as a hockey player. He is an awful skater, below average passer and far from defensively sound IMO. But I'll agree with you on the bolded part. And that is my concern since I also agree with Benneguin, that we'll be nowhere near the playoffs with him as our 3rd-5th defenceman

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think you and I have different views of him as a hockey player. He is an awful skater, below average passer and far from defensively sound IMO. But I'll agree with you on the bolded part. And that is my concern since I also agree with Benneguin, that we'll be nowhere near the playoffs with him as our 3rd-5th defenceman

I don't think we disagree at all, unless you are convinced that all his mistakes are bad luck instead of his fault :laugh:

We made the playoffs with him and Dillon as our 2nd pair. He and Demers had good chemistry and just take a look at the kind of advanced stats Demers puts up. It's super naive to think now is when he's going to be pushed out given the million chances to do that which have already not been taken.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Jordan Schroeder was waived by Minnesota. I would not be to upset if we took a waiver claim ($600k) on him and sent him to the AHL. Maybe he can get that spark back. Views?

KriminellPipa

Jul 1, 2013
I don't think we disagree at all, unless you are convinced that all his mistakes are bad luck instead of his fault :laugh:

We made the playoffs with him and Dillon as our 2nd pair. He and Demers had good chemistry and just take a look at the kind of advanced stats Demers puts up. It's super naive to think now is when he's going to be pushed out given the million chances to do that which have already not been taken.

:laugh: there aren't enough four-leaf-clovers in the world to save his ass if they're bad luck ;)

Maybe I'm super naive, but what I saw from the young Ds last season was promising, and maybe someone of them will take the next step if given the chance this year? And at the the moment Benn is the first odd man out IMO.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jordan Schroeder was waived by Minnesota. I would not be to upset if we took a waiver claim ($600k) on him and sent him to the AHL. Maybe he can get that spark back. Views?

No thanks on any waiver claims. Already sitting at 13 F and 8 D without Ritchie.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

That's not how waivers work, the player has to be on the NHL roster.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
That's not how waivers work, the player has to be on the NHL roster.

I thought if he was to be claimed by Dallas they could put him back through waivers hoping he would clear then then could send him to the AHL at that point.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I thought if he was to be claimed by Dallas they could put him back through waivers hoping he would clear then then could send him to the AHL at that point.

I don't know the specifics of how long he'd need to be on our NHL roster, but I do know that the point of waivers isn't to snake other teams' AHL guys. We're already pretty deep up front in Cedar Park, and I'd much rather give a big role to guys who have potential than try to spark a guy who can't stick.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If we claimed a player to waive him for the AHL, then in this instance, Minnesota would the first crack at him and would be able to send that player right to the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad