2015-2016 Around The League IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
But the Canadiens spent the past six seasons trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. They stuck him with some of the most conservative coaches in the business and when (predictably) it didn’t work out, it was Subban who was gone, not the coach.

Bergevin clearly knew this was not going to be a popular trade. I believe him when he said this was one of the hardest decisions he has had to make as GM — probably the hardest. And I believe him when he says that he genuinely likes P.K. and that he wishes him well.

Head coach Michel Therrien cannot say the same — or at least he can’t say it and tell the truth. Therrien did not like Subban. Didn’t like him when he was commenting for RDS, didn’t like him when he took over as head coach, didn’t like him when the wheels were falling off his team last winter. If Therrien loved his star defenceman, this deal would never have been made. Therrien does not like Subban and the feeling, no doubt, is mutual.

There was a profound rift in that dressing room, with captain Max Pacioretty on one side and Subban on the other — and with management squarely behind Pacioretty. To give Pacioretty a team award for community service during a season when Subban promised to raise $10 million for the new hospital was an open slap in the face to the defenceman, delivered by his teammates.

But the Canadiens let Subban down — repeatedly. Not once in his six seasons with the club did he have the opportunity to work with a top-flight defensive coach or within a system that suits his unique talents. They could have brought in Larry Robinson to coach a star of comparable ability. They took a pass on Robinson and, in the end, they passed on Subban and his mega-talent as well.

Now (as Pierre McGuire pointed out in conversation with Mitch Melnick yesterday) Subban will go to work with Phil Housley, one of the best in the business. We can expect him to flourish in Nashville.

Jack Todd: Subban's brash, confident style was never a fit with Habs

I think the Habs are really going to regret this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I guess we are going to get more of these stories now that Subban and the Habs have parted ways

I didnt know abou the rift in the room

It's a big Canadian market where some of the media already bashed him so I assume there will be stuff getting leaked to make him look bad.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I genuinely feel for Habs fans. Their management chose an outdated relic of a coach over their franchise player. And no disrespect to Max Pacioretty but he can't be favoured over Subban. Nashville just got a lot stronger AND got imo one of the top-5 most marketable players in the league.

I hope Carey Price demands a trade just to spite Bergevin and Therrien

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Bergevin is a bigger idiot for the trade he made than Chiarelli is.

Yes New Jersey "won" the deal. Yes, Hall is a better hockey player than Larsson. But Edmonton had a surplus, needed a RHD who could play 25 minutes a night shutting down the opposition and I think they got it. Realistically you'd think Hall would be able to return a better player than Larsson or you'd think you could trade a lesser piece (RNH) to get Larsson but clearly that's not the case or it would have happened. When you factor in Pu and Lucic (no I'm not saying either are as good or even nearly as good as Hall) being added to the team this makes even more sense. Edmonton will be a better team going forward.

As for Montreal, they traded a player who is probably the best player in the deal RIGHT NOW and that gap will only widen as the years go on.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Please dont post new comments in this thread , but use the new thread that i just created .

I will leave the old thread open for a few minutes , if you want to quote replies from one thread into another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad