Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
He could turn out to be great, and I hope we read this thread in a few years and laugh at me. I saw him play a few times and the thing I noticed is he has trouble handling the big guys and is chasing the play too.

You can see it in his draft profile video and in his shift by shift. What you can also see is a smart player with a good first pass and good reads, but I really, really wanted Svechnikov.

A good friend played against both this year I'll ask him what he thinks

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
He could turn out to be great, and I hope we read this thread in a few years and laugh at me. I saw him play a few times and the thing I noticed is he has trouble handling the big guys and is chasing the play too.

You can see it in his draft profile video and in his shift by shift. What you can also see is a smart player with a good first pass and good reads, but I really, really wanted Svechnikov.

Are you friends with teenagers

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

He is still young. He is still developing.

Mark Stone had huge skating problems when he was drafted. He worked on it during the years and he seems to be better.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Are you friends with teenagers

I am 22 actually and grew up in the same street with 2 brothers who became some of my best buddies. One of them is my age, his brother just played his first full season in the QMJHL. So yeah we could say I consider him as a friend, don't know how it's relevant to the thread though.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Definitely seems like a Wiercioch type but just a better skater.

Not a huge fan of the pick but can't complain entirely. Wiercioch is working out so maybe he will too. If all of his tools pan out I bet he will make the NHL but he needs to learn how to play physical, I don't like his work at the front of the net.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
He is still young. He is still developing.

Mark Stone had huge skating problems when he was drafted. He worked on it during the years and he seems to be better.

Never said otherwise. Chabot's flaws are easier to improve IMO but he needs some work for sure. Just thought we'd be going for the big russian

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Not a huge fan of the pick but can't complain entirely. Wiercioch is working out so maybe he will too. If all of his tools pan out I bet he will make the NHL but he needs to learn how to play physical, I don't like his work at the front of the net.

A Wiercioch that is a great skater is a good NHL player.

Chabot sounds like a smart player. Wiercioch I wouldn't say is.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
chabot will be better than wiercioch. i am pretty damn sure of that.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Wait a few years for him to pack on some weight, as well as come to a few camps.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Wait a few years for him to pack on some weight, as well as come to a few camps.

At 6 and 2 180ish lbs I'd agree he has lots of room to fill out, and he's already a great skater too. On the other hand could be a Jake Gardiner too who never gets how to play the right way in the dzone.

We'll see, like I said I am biased and I hope he has success here! His flaws def. can be improved.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
At 6 and 2 180ish lbs I'd agree he has lots of room to fill out, and he's already a great skater too. On the other hand could be a Jake Gardiner too who never gets how to play the right way in the dzone.

We'll see, like I said I am biased and I hope he has success here! His flaws def. can be improved.

Jake Gardiner's biggest problem is his brain. Chabot thinks the game really well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

please share. Svech would have been a really good pick. Connor sliding one more would have been good too.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

A smarter and faster Wiercioch is a top pairing defender.

Chabot was very high riser apparently and that's Murray's forte, chose high rising defenders.

His style of play reminds me of Gardiner.

Othello*

He needs too become more physical and work on his defensive game. A pairing with 6'2 Chabot and 6'3 Ceci will be fun to watch, both big guys who can skate and pass.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not a huge fan of the pick, but wasn't enamoured with any of the D on the board at that spot. That said, he does have a solid frame and skates really well with good tools. Like most, my opinion of him changed slightly as soon as he was drafted by us. Our scouts belief is enough to sway me a certain degree, or perhaps it's just easier as a homer to like the pick once we took him.

He will be a longer term project though (which is fine). I watched him a few games at the U18, and while he was good on the PP and made some nice moves in the open ice, he had a lot of miscues in his own end on basic plays. Small sample size, but it was a red flag re the state of his defensive game.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I guess many here wanted Konecny and were disappointed he was available and passed over twice. The way I see it, the Ottawa braintrust would have seen a lot of him and were more impressed by these other kids.

With the strength of this draft, we were almost guaranteed to get some sweet prospects at 18 and 21 and both of these players are highly regarded. Be happy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I guess many here wanted Konecny and were disappointed he was available and passed over twice. The way I see it, the Ottawa braintrust would have seen a lot of him and were more impressed by these other kids.

Sens org have been artfully dodging Konecky questions for months now, and been very limited in the praise they try and direct at him.

Some people thought they were being coy and didn't want to tip their hands on him, but it really looks in hindsight that they do not like him much at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad