Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #4

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'd bet if there was room both Provorov and Ghost would be on the team this upcoming year.

I think both will get significant time this year. Provorov will be full time and Gostisbehere will get 35+ games similar to the Ducks with Lindholm and Vatanen in 2013-14.

There will be injuries, so it's not like the opportunity won't be there either.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think both will get significant time this year. Provorov will be full time and Gostisbehere will get 35+ games similar to the Ducks with Lindholm and Vatanen in 2013-14.

There will be injuries, so it's not like the opportunity won't be there either.

I'd agree with that but I meant from the start. If we had room from the beginning I think both would be on the team for the full season. But it looks like Ghost will need to wait until there's an injury or something before he gets a chance.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
It's hard to make the decision. I'm a huge Ghost fan and LOVE his skill set. Konecny could go here easily as well with his upside. I voted Konecny but I'm leaning towards Ghost now.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Schultz-Streit
Provorov-Medvedev
Gostisbehere-Gudas

MacDonald healthy scratch

Del Zotto and Schenn traded

Schultz traded at deadline to make room for Morin.

2016-2017 defense

Provorov-Medvedev (resigned)
Morin-Streit
Gostisbehere-Gudas

Streit traded at deadline to make room for Sanheim.

2017-2018 defense

Provorov-Medvedev
Morin-Sanheim
Gostisbehere-Hagg

:handclap:

Ya never know.

As much as I'd love to see all these young d-men turn into studs in the short term, I think it would be a mistake of the Flyers to over the course of 2 seasons bring them all up and go all youth.

These young guys will need seasoning and guidance from established NHL d-men, or they wont turn into who we'd all love to see them turn into.

Gotta take it slow on the d-men IMO.

At the same time, if the players make it hard on the team NOT to bring them up, well then you let nature take its course. By all accounts Hextall will not be rushing any of these fine young men into a position they cannot handle.

It's a good time to be a Flyers fan :yo:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Went with Ghost here. Tough choice again, but I feel like he possesses so many of those skills that you can't teach. He looks like he just has "it," if that makes sense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As much as I'd love to see all these young d-men turn into studs in the short term, I think it would be a mistake of the Flyers to over the course of 2 seasons bring them all up and go all youth.

These young guys will need seasoning and guidance from established NHL d-men, or they wont turn into who we'd all love to see them turn into.

Gotta take it slow on the d-men IMO.

At the same time, if the players make it hard on the team NOT to bring them up, well then you let nature take its course. By all accounts Hextall will not be rushing any of these fine young men into a position they cannot handle.

It's a good time to be a Flyers fan :yo:

I can see one more veteran added to that group as the 6th defensemen. Gudas and MacDonald could still be around at that point too. By 2017-2018, all four of our top D prospects will likely be on the big club though. You can't hold them down just because they aren't veterans.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Record wise maybe, but he brought something else to the team they couldn't replace when he went down. He was their best player BY FAR and that included when they had Laughton in the lineup.

Agreed. I caught 3 or 4 of ghosts phantoms games and a bunch after he went down. He controlled the game and had an enormous impact on the ice. The team went from formidable to mediocre afterwards

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I went with Konency based on the fact the question marks that I have for ghost are still there all these years after being drafted. His ceiling IMO is lower then Konency in regards to impact on the game.

If ghost has a healthy year and doesn't get pushed around, then he may move up to 3rd ahead of morin

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I can see one more veteran added to that group as the 6th defensemen. Gudas and MacDonald could still be around at that point too. By 2017-2018, all four of our top D prospects will likely be on the big club though. You can't hold them down just because they aren't veterans.

Agreed.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Jeez, we've really thrown Laughton out with the bathwater, eh?

No. I'll look forward to him being on the roster. But the guys still up on the board have a much higher potential then he does

It's a tribute to how strong our prospect pool has grown rather then Laughton having done something to lower his stock

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Nope. We still like him. We just have some great D prospects and got lucky to land a top 10 talent like Konecny 24th overall. I think this is the year Laughton becomes a regular on the Flyers finally. I think Hakstol is gonna love his game.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Everything I hear about Konecny sounds like Mike Richards in his prime. I voted for that over Ghost, who I think is a longer shot to reach anything near his ceiling...but he's still gonna be good. He will be my #5

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He's going to be a solid 2C or great 3C, we just have better options now

yeah I don't think him dropping is a reflection on him. Its just the players the Flyers have drafted have pushed him down. They have drafted 3 defenseman who project to be top pairing guys. they are far more valuable then a really good 3, or a good 2C

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That Chicago team in 2007-08 had:

Keith, Seabrook, Wisniewski, Hendry, Byfuglien, Barker and Hjalmarsson all play for them over the season. 4 full time. The eldest was 24, youngest 20.

They missed the playoffs by 3 points, made them the year after and lost in the conference finals with four of those guys in their top five all 25 or under, (Buff had moved to wing then or it would have been 5 in their top 6.) and won the cup the next year with their top 3 and number 6 being from that group, and Buff moved to wing.

Anaheim are in a similar situation now...

It is entirely possible that in 2017-18 we have four of our current D prospects on our D.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I went with Ghost. I could have gone with him higher even. It's hard between Morin and Ghost for me, they both have good skill sets. Gostisbehere is so dynamic and a great skater.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Schultz-Streit
Provorov-Medvedev
Gostisbehere-Gudas

MacDonald healthy scratch

Del Zotto and Schenn traded

Schultz traded at deadline to make room for Morin.

2016-2017 defense

Provorov-Medvedev (resigned)
Morin-Streit
Gostisbehere-Gudas

Streit traded at deadline to make room for Sanheim.

2017-2018 defense

Provorov-Medvedev
Morin-Sanheim
Gostisbehere-Hagg

:handclap:

Ya never know.

For 2017-2018 switch Medvedev with Zaitsev and we're good :sarcasm:

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

He was very solid in ahl. Nhl he couldn't produce and I think that caused some people to push ghost ahead of him who only played 7 games this past season.

Honestly I'd go konecny, laughton, ghost. But it looks like it'll be ghost, konecny, laughton.

There is the first 3. Then the second tier of 3. All are very close

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Went with Konecny. I'm just not sure what kind of player Ghost will be at the NHL level. I feel like for him to truly pan out he'll have to be a very special player. Konecny seems like a guaranteed 3rd winger at the least. A player you win championships with even if he doesn't reach his offensive potential in the NHL. I don't see that same type of realistic floor with Ghost. I feel like he has way less margin for error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad