2015-16 OUA Thread

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Here are my predictions. I think that in a 2 out of 3, and with the better keeper, Queen's will be able to soften UOIT's system enough to go through.

West
#1 York v. #8 Toronto (P: 2-0 YRK)
#2 Western v. #7 Laurier (P: 2-0 UWO)
#3 Waterloo v. #6 Ryerson (P: 2-1 WAT)
#4 Guelph v. #5 Windsor (P: 2-1 GUE)

East
#1 UQTR v. #8 Laurentian (P: 2-0 UQTR)
#2 McGill v. #7 Concordia (P: 2-1 MCG)
#3 Carleton v. #6 Nipissing (P: 2-0 CAR)
#4 UOIT v. #5 Queen's (P: 2-1 QUE)

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
West
#1 York v. #8 Toronto (P: 2-1 YRK)
#3 Waterloo v. #6 Ryerson (P: 2-1 RYE)

East

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
West
#1 York v. #8 Toronto (P: 2-1 YRK)
#3 Waterloo v. #6 Ryerson (P: 2-1 RYE)

East

I will go:
York: 2-1
Western: 2-1
Waterloo: 2-1
Guelph: 2-1

UQTR: 2-0
McGill: 2-0
Carleton: 2-0
Queens: 2-1

Hoping to take in the UWO/Laurier game tonight, weather depending.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
No trouble watching part of McGill and Concordia. game. The Redmen looked good, no question.
UQTR, also have improved and both could be capable of challenging the perennial powerhouses?
Do the Redmen still have goaltending issues??

Gervais-Chouinard is back, so if he's 100 %, I'd say no.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Thoughts on 1st Rd in OUA

No surprise seeing Western knock out Laurier two straight, just too much depth for Western. Still believe Western team to beat in Wild West

Concordia gave McGill all they can handle in game 2 but McGill is very talented team, probably best team in OUA. They are built to win

Uqtr just too strong for Laurentian as they are up 1-0 in series. Valiquette has kept Laurentian in it. Should end tomorrow

Carleton is so strong Defensively that Nipissing having tough time which has resulted in 1-0 series lead. Carleton only team I see capable of knocking out UQTR/Mcgill

Queens/UOIT - perfect match up, it's too bad this is only best of 3 series

York is solid team & u of t is just awful - it will end tomorrow

I expect Guelph/Windsor go 3 unless Windsor self destructs like game 1 & goaltenders stink up joint again - I think Richards will rebound & force game 3

Ryerson knock off more experience Waterloo tonight in 2 straight - surprise & not surprise. Surprise cause they lost Basso for year but not surprise as I said all year Ryerson hasn't hit there stride. Getting Lewis/Hinds/Theoret/Blaney second semester change that team

Passingham was tad better than Morrison but key to sweep was holding down Behenna

Thoughts?

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
No surprise seeing Western knock out Laurier two straight, just too much depth for Western. Still believe Western team to beat in Wild West
Yup, Laurier had pretty much nothing in terms of offence after Schoenmakers. Mustangs should come out of the West, if they can stay healthy through the next two weeks.

Concordia gave McGill all they can handle in game 2 but McGill is very talented team, probably best team in OUA. They are built to win
Concordia not good enough on the back end or in net. Lots of big, slow d-men that were repeatedly exposed by McGill's forward core.

Uqtr just too strong for Laurentian as they are up 1-0 in series. Valiquette has kept Laurentian in it. Should end tomorrow
Yup, 1v8. Down year for Laurentian.

Carleton is so strong Defensively that Nipissing having tough time which has resulted in 1-0 series lead. Carleton only team I see capable of knocking out UQTR/Mcgill
Nipissing isn't bad defensively, but showed very close to nothing in Game 1 in North Bay. Struggled to even break out of their own zone for most of the night.

Perfect matchup if you like watching two teams clutch-and-grab each other through the neutral zone. Or if you like watching Kevin Bailie steal the show.

Yup, Varsity Blues are brutal this year. I'd even say that Lakehead was playing better than them in the second half.

I expect Guelph/Windsor go 3 unless Windsor self destructs like game 1 & goaltenders stink up joint again - I think Richards will rebound & force game 3
Guelph will win tomorrow night to sweep. De Fulviis really hitting his stride and he's a game breaker. If Neuber keeps his head screwed on straight, watch out.

Ryerson knock off more experience Waterloo tonight in 2 straight - surprise & not surprise. Surprise cause they lost Basso for year but not surprise as I said all year Ryerson hasn't hit there stride. Getting Lewis/Hinds/Theoret/Blaney second semester change that team
This one was a surprise for me, as Ryerson kinda limped into the playoffs. Yeah they have talent, but they've never been able to put it together for a full playoff/season. That said, pretty gutsy G1 win on Wednesday, and they edged out a talented Warriors team on home ice tonight- full marks for the series W.

:handclap:

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Thoughts on 1st Rd in OUA

In the regular season, Laurier lost badly the first game (5-1), but at home in the second half played Western to a close 2-1 game where Laurier outshot (and likely outplayed) the Mustangs. With Laurier's strong defence and goaltending in the second half, and Western's up and down season, some of us had predicted this one going three. Playoffs are a different game and full marks to Western - I attended both games and Western sustained a pace and pressure that was too much for Laurier. Laurier's Christian Mroczkowski scored a goal in each game to bring his total to 22 points in 23 games for the season, but Western was simply too good. If Western continues that play, they are my favourite in the West. The team has a solid blueline, and great depth, with not much difference between their first and fourth lines. However, without any top end stars, I am not sure of their potential impact against the country's top teams. I am also uncertain on their goaltending. Glad to see Laurier back in the playoffs - game 1 saw 18 players make their playoff debut, with only 2 making a return to the playoffs.

Not as sure of the OUA East, but most series seem in line with the majority of predictions.

Passingham was tad better than Morrison but key to sweep was holding down Behenna

Thoughts?

Ryerson/Waterloo was a bit of a surprise for me. Waterloo has a great blueline. Tough for Ryerson to lose Basso - as I have stated before, I believe he is the best defenceman in the OUA West. Ryerson reminds me of Carleton when they were building their program (as does the current Queen's group) - lots of solid recruits who on paper should do well, but haven't quite managed to break through. It took Carleton a few years, but now they have become a legitimate top 10 team. Maybe this is a statement year for the Rams.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
McGill

McGill vs Concordia
This was a close game ,but it was clear that the Redmen were not going to lose to the Stingers. Skill wise, this was a mismatch.
The pace and physicality will be at another level at the University Cup.
A skilled team like McGill will have a lot less time to execute and a lot more puck pressure to deal with against a perennial powerehouse like Alberta and New Brunswick.
Who was the McGill player that got injured in ot??

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015

I don't see Ryerson winning this series without Brandon Devlin. Has stepped into the role of Basso and shut down Colin Behenna entirely for 2 periods in game #2. Took him a while to find his game at the CIS level, but he's playing very well right now.

Theoret doesn't quite have his game legs yet, but he's still a tremendous player, and I can't wait to see what he can do next season. Jamie Lewis has also been excellent lately too.

The only team I can't see Ryerson beating in the OUA West is Western. Possible 2nd RD matchup with York upcoming, a team they've beaten twice already, and I'm not convinced Perugini is 100% healthy yet. Will be in attendance for York vs U of T tonight, hopefully will be a good measure of where he's at.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Theoret doesn't quite have his game legs yet, but he's still a tremendous player, and I can't wait to see what he can do next season. Jamie Lewis has also been excellent lately too.

I thought Theoret had to sit out this year after transferring from UPEI? I looked up his stats and he played his last game for the Panthers on February 6th, 2015...has he only been playing for Ryerson since February 6th this year? If so, kind of interesting he/they would burn a year of eligibility for maybe a months worth of hockey...he must be further along in his degree than his eligibility would indicate and had no intention of playing all 5 years.

Also, how is Cutting (played with UNB in 2013-2014) doing for Ryerson since transferring there?

Last edited:

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
I thought Theoret had to sit out this year after transferring from UPEI? I looked up his stats and he played his last game for the Panthers on February 6th, 2015...has he only been playing for Ryerson since February 6th this year? If so, kind of interesting he/they would burn a year of eligibility for maybe a months worth of hockey...he must be further along in his degree than his eligibility would indicate and had no intention of playing all 5 years.

You are correct about Theoret. The rule is, if you transfer, you're ineligible to play CIS hockey for a full calendar year. Theoret's transfer date was Feb. 13th of last year. He's been dying to get into the lineup since October and it's my understanding that Ryerson had appealed his transfer date to CIS to see if they could get him in the lineup earlier. Game #1 vs Waterloo on Wednesday the 17th was his first in a year. Gutsy call by Graham to put him in the lineup, but Theo had his mind made up that he was going to play. I'd be very surprised if he stays 5 years. Will be back for a full season next year.

Also, how is Cutting (played with UNB in 2013-2014) doing for Ryerson since transferring there?

I'm not sure how I feel about Cutting. High potential, lots of experience, has been relied upon as a 2nd pairing guy in the playoffs and has played well at times, but other times, I don't know where his head is at. Not sure what to expect out of Cutting on a nightly basis, but he's rightfully a top 4 defender in the CIS, and has the toolkit to go on to the pro ranks after Ryerson.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
@Finder24 - Not really surprise that U of T won a game. York has been struggling for while and I truly believe they overachieved during regular season. I expect York win but if they somehow lose today it wouldn't surprise me. I did pick York in 3

As for Windsor/Guelph & UOIT/Queens - speciality teams & goaltending will decide it. I am questioning my picks, however before series started my picks were Windsor/Queens in 3 & I will stick with it

2nd Rd - East
McGill vs Carleton - that's going to be war , I haven't decide on who I am going pick
Uqtr vs Queens/UOIT - wait & see approach

West -
Is living up to Wild West, as anything could happen. It will become more clear after today's game but here is potential second round matches

York vs Ryerson (if York beats U of T)
Western vs Toronto (if Toronto beats York)
Western vs Guelph (if Guelph beats Windsor/York over Toronto)
Ryerson vs Guelph (If Guelph beats Windsor/Toronto over York)
Western vs Windsor (If Windsor beats Guelph/York over Toronto)
Ryerson vs Windsor (If Windsor over Guelph/Toronto over York)

March Madness has nothing on OUA West

Last edited:

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
Not that surprising. Excluding playoffs, they played each the other 4 times this year and split 2-2, including a 4-1 U of T win last Saturday to close out the regular season.

I was at that 4-1 game. York was resting a few key players, and with the Mustangs loss, it didn't matter the result, the Lions were going to win the OUA West. Thought that was a one and done type game, but I suppose in hindsight you're right. What surprised me most last night was the lack of intensity York came out with, just didn't seem to care all that much. If this season was about 50 games long, I'd love to see how different the standings would be.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Game was 1-1 after two periods before Toronto got 3 (including an ENG) in the 3rd.

I watched most of the first 2 periods and then stepped out for a bit before catching the last couple minutes of the game...the way York was starting to take over the game in the 2nd period I couldn't believe when I came back and saw that Toronto won it in the 3rd.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
U of T over York 4-1. Western vs Toronto in 2nd Rd

Will be interesting. Western and U of T played each other 3 times this year (the extra game was "Ottawa" game for both teams). All three were one goal games won by Western, one in overtime. Western is finally healthy and should take this series, but in the OUA West, you never know....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad