2015-16 OUA Thread

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Shots were pretty much in line with what I think most expected (54-28). The resulting score of 3-1 for Toronto was not.

Despite not being a strong team last year, Toronto was within one game of making the OUA West final last year before Guelph won 2 straight. Toronto finds themselves in the same position this year.

This is a very good example of most of Western's games this year. They are a solid, if unremarkable, team, but their lack of an elite scorer(s) resulted in them either failing to put teams away that they should have (see loss to York a few weeks ago), or falling behind and chasing to catch-up (see loss to Brock to open up the second half)...hence all the one goal games they ended up with. Lots of pucks bouncing around in front of the Toronto net last night, but no one there to put one away. They really haven't that elite scoring threat since they lost Daniel Erlich and Zach Harnden 2 years ago. This is why I picked Laurier to upset in the first round - the scores in the Laurier series really surprised me as they are an anomaly if you look at Western's second half results. Toronto played Western close in all three regular season games this year so them winning the series would not be shock to me, although I think the Mustangs will come back.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
5-3 Guelph over Ryerson tonight. Passingham made a lot of good saves and full credit goes to Guelph , they deserve the win.

It was 4-1 and Ryerson decide to wake up but too little to late scoring two goals make it interesting at 4-3. D'Agostini did make a huge stop on Blaney on breakaway when it was 2-1 and Guelph step it up scoring two goals. Swinson had career game tonight for Guelph

Ryerson D needs to wake up or season will be over for Rams

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ryerson over Guelph 2 -1 in ot. Highlight reel goal by Rams captain Michael Fine to win it. Gryphons goalie Andrew D'Agostini made about 50 saves and played injured in overtime. Will be interesting to see if he makes the start on Sunday.

With regards to the Ryerson broadcast it is the best I've seen in the CIS.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ryerson over Guelph 2 -1 in ot. Highlight reel goal by Rams captain Michael Fine to win it. Gryphons goalie Andrew D'Agostini made about 50 saves and played injured in overtime. Will be interesting to see if he makes the start on Sunday.

With regards to the Ryerson broadcast it is the best I've seen in the CIS.

Agreed on all counts.

Great goal by Fine.

Don't think Guelph wins with a cold Stajcer in net.

Re broadcast: yup, that's what happens when you've got a school with a blossoming (+exclusive) sport media program with a whack ton of resources. A lot of schools just don't have (or aren't willing to spend) the $ for a proper broadcast w/a couple HD cameras and knowledgable student commentators. Best in the OUA by far- great job by Finder24 as per usual!

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Fine with winner in OT for Rams & Western hammers Toronto to force game 3 on Sunday

Wild West is just that but how will Rd 2 end?????

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Uqtr finishes off Uoit this afternoon 4-2 & in beauty of game, Carleton knocks off McGill 3-2 OT

OUA East Finals are set now w/
UQTR vs Carleton

In Wild West of OUA - Game 3 Tomorrow
Western vs Toronto Guelph vs Ryerson

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think UQTR and Carleton are both favorites to advance to the nationals. I can't see the OUA West runner up beating either of them.

A one game, sudden death. Anything could happen. I would like to see Carleton here. Marty Johnson was one of my faves at Dal.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Goaltending & Defensive break downs was downfall tonight for Rams. Not going win many games when you let up 5 goals on 12 sog

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Goaltending & Defensive break downs was downfall tonight for Rams. Not going win many games when you let up 5 goals on 12 sog

Yikes - Guelph up 10-1 and the second period isn't over yet.

Edit: make that 11-1. 8 goals on 14 shots in the second period.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Only series that could be labeled somewhat a surprise is Carleton sweeping McGill, but even that's not a huge one.

Congrats to Drummer, who moved into a tie for first after nailing three of four series perfectly for 11 points.

Drummer - 8+11=19
Snipeshow91 - 10+9=19
connor macdavid - 9+9=18
Anchorcam - 10+7=17
recruiter - 11+5=16
Dutch - 9+5=14
blackmarketmob - 9+5=14
UNB Bruins Fan - 7+4=11
Finder24 - 7+4=11
northvanman - 5+5=10

Round Three will move to three points for correct team, with the standard one-point series length bonus.

#1 UQTR v. #3 Carleton
The teams split the season series, with the road team winning both meetings. Though Carleton is certainly rolling at the moment, I can't bring myself to bet against UQTR with a historic home ice (and playoff H-2-H) advantage. That said, this Ravens group seems special and won in T-R earlier this season. Could go either way, expect the loser to still make an appearance at nationals. CAR in 3.

#2 Western v. #3 Guelph
The Gryphons are certainly playing some of their best hockey of the season, but it's tough to pick against a healthy Western team. Could come down to goaltending; will Delmas/Dodds be able to go pound-for-pound against D'Agostini? I don't think so. GUE in 3.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well Western hasn't been there since 2012.

Yes - but having new blood like Ryerson and/or MRU would have been nice.

I hope Carleton can advance - that would be a good new team to have.

Of the other Candidates (titles)
ALB(15) - 2015 Gold
UNB(5) - 2015 Finalist
UQTR(4) - 2015 Qualifier
GUE(1) - 2015 Qualifier
SFX(1) - 2015 Host
USK(1) - 2014 Host & Finalist
SMU(1) - 2013 Finalist
UWO(1) - 2012 Finalist
PEI(0) - 1991 Qualifier
CAR(0) - rookie

Last edited:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Yes - but having new blood like Ryerson and/or MRU would have been nice.

I hope Carleton can advance - that would be a good new team to have.

Of the other Candidate (titles)
ALB(15) - 2015 Gold
UNB(5) - 2015 Finalist
UQTR(4) - 2015 Qualifier
GUE(1) - 2015 Qualifier
SFX(1) - 2015 Host
USK(1) - 2014 Host & Finalist
SMU(1) - 2013 Finalist
UWO(1) - 2012 Finalist
PEI(0) - 1991 Qualifier
CAR(0) - rookie

Carleton was knocked out in the first round - a pair of one-goal losses - at the 2014 tournament. This season would be their second appearance at nationals if they make it.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Division Finals Schedule:

UQTR vs. Carleton
Wed Mar 2 at UQTR, 7pm
Sat Mar 5 at Carleton, 7pm
Sun Mar 6 at UQTR, 4pm*

Western vs. Guelph
Thu Mar 3 at Western, 7pm
Sat Mar 5 at Guelph, 7:30pm
Sun Mar 6 at Western, 7:30pm*