2015-16 OUA Thread

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
For those who wonder how UQTR won it so easily against McGill (6-1), Gervais-Chouinard is out for McGill. Kelly Nobes didn't tell me for how long. If fact, McGill looks pretty banged up right now.

But the Patriotes played a much better game, and the Redmen didn't execute at all. Tons of missed shots.

Over 1400 people on carnaval night for the Patriotes. Best crowd since 2001 from what I've been told.

Funny thing. With Gervais-Chouinard out, and St-Laurent leaving for the LNAH, the Redmen had to turn to Sean Kelly, who was playing in a rec league in McGill. On the other side, Patriotes also lost their third goalkeeper this week, so they had to turn to Jimmy Appleby, who hadn't played a game since three and a half year after retiring from the QMJHL.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Uqtr

For those who wonder how UQTR won it so easily against McGill (6-1), Gervais-Chouinard is out for McGill. Kelly Nobes didn't tell me for how long. If fact, McGill looks pretty banged up right now.

But the Patriotes played a much better game, and the Redmen didn't execute at all. Tons of missed shots.

Over 1400 people on carnaval night for the Patriotes. Best crowd since 2001 from what I've been told.

Funny thing. With Gervais-Chouinard out, and St-Laurent leaving for the LNAH, the Redmen had to turn to Sean Kelly, who was playing in a rec league in McGill. On the other side, Patriotes also lost their third goalkeeper this week, so they had to turn to Jimmy Appleby, who hadn't played a game since three and a half year after retiring from the QMJHL.

Dutch, can we expect to see a better UQTR team than the one that we saw in Halifax , at last years Nationals?

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Dutch, can we expect to see a better UQTR team than the one that we saw in Halifax , at last years Nationals?
I'd say that they have better goaltending with Auger and better defensive by adding their #2 d-man Charles-David Beaudoin to a pretty similar core.

On the offensive side, they were missing their one of their best player in Tommy Giroux last year, which didn't help. Plus, Guillaume Asselin is much better this season, but Marc-Olivier Mimar has slowed down. Plus, we expected good things from Philippe Lefebvre, coming in from the AHL, but he's way too banged up to be able to deliver during a full game.

Overall, no doubt UQTR is better this year... but they're still a really small team who could be in trouble if it can't use its speed.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
After a real strong start to 2016, Carleton had a rough weekend.

Slow start in Oshawa against UOIT saw them come within 10 seconds of a regulation loss. Van Stralen tied the game at 19:50 of the 3rd, and the Ravens ultimately won in a shootout (3-2).

Straight-up flat tonight against Queen's. No jump in the first 25 minutes, and they once they really started taking the play to the Gaels in the 3rd period-well, Kevin Bailie is Kevin Bailie. 2-0 Queens final.

Depending on the term of Gervais-Chouinard's (and the rest of McGill's banged up team's) injury(ies), I think it's fairly safe to consider UQTR a favourite in the OUA East. Carleton and McGill will battle for 2-3, and likely play each other in an all-important semi-final:

#1 UQTR v #4 Queens/#5 UOIT
#2 McGill v #3 Carleton

I know it's one game, but with home ice I can't see a top-3 OUA East team losing to anybody from the West in a one-shot Bronze Medal playoff game (on paper...). :popcorn::popcorn:

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I know it's one game, but with home ice I can't see a top-3 OUA East team losing to anybody from the West in a one-shot Bronze Medal playoff game (on paper...). :popcorn::popcorn:

I sure can. To me, right now the OUA is UQTR and everyone else. I'd throw Carleton in with the top OUA West teams, and would do the same with McGill unless or until their goaltending situation gets addressed. Carleton has lost to Guelph and Lakehead, and barely beat York and Western (who only dressed 16 players). McGill lost to both York and Western. There are a lot of decent-to-good-but-not-great teams in the OUA this year. More one and two goal margins of victory this year than I can ever remember. It would not surprise me at all to see Queen's end up at the Nationals.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought the OUA was only sending two teams to the Nationals this year?

I thought that too....I thought CW and the OUA were switching berths from last year with CW sending 3 and OUA 2 this time around, but I looked at the University Cup Playing Regulations (sec 3.1) and it looks to be the same set-up as last year (3 AUS/3 OUA/2 CW).

I wonder if going forward the OUA will get 3 guaranteed berths, AUS will get 2, and CW will get 2 and then the extra spot goes to the host. If that is the case I would expect to see 3 OUA teams, 3 AUS teams, and 2 CW teams in Fredericton for the next two years.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I thought that too....I thought CW and the OUA were switching berths from last year with CW sending 3 and OUA 2 this time around, but I looked at the University Cup Playing Regulations (sec 3.1) and it looks to be the same set-up as last year (3 AUS/3 OUA/2 CW).

I wonder if going forward the OUA will get 3 guaranteed berths, AUS will get 2, and CW will get 2 and then the extra spot goes to the host. If that is the case I would expect to see 3 OUA teams, 3 AUS team, and 2 CW teams in Fredericton for the next two years.

Makes sense since the OUA is to be having a bronze medal game.

That's good news for UQTR, McGill and Carleton. Probably two of those teams will be heading to Nationals under this format.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
What a slap stick of joke referring is in OUA. No wonder why these players get so mad. This weekend saw 2 players get check from behind and it wasn't on accident. Player who hit guy both times only gets two & ten. What a joke. Both said players who got hit appear to be done for year

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
I thought the OUA was only sending two teams to the Nationals this year?

2-3-2 with the host conference getting the extra berth in this new "one and done" CIS format.
So AUS gets the 3rd spot this year and the next two as well with UNB hosting.
Average format but then so is the CIS.
Have an unbelievable product in so many sports only to be run by a bunch of campus rec. grads in sports coats.
Just trying to be fair here.
BTW- the format is being used for most if not all CIS sports, again just to be fair.
Pretty sure they forgot how much it might cost to send a team coast to coast but will worry about that at another time

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

I wonder if going forward the OUA will get 3 guaranteed berths, AUS will get 2, and CW will get 2 and then the extra spot goes to the host. If that is the case I would expect to see 3 OUA teams, 3 AUS teams, and 2 CW teams in Fredericton for the next two years.

As mike mentioned they decided last year to drop the rotating team and instead provide guaranteed berths to AUS & CW runner-ups and the OUA 3rd. They'd like to take four teams from the OUA, but that would require dropping the host (which you can't do).

So - CW, AUS and one of the two OUA divisons gets 2 teams with the weaker OUA division getting 1 (and then add the host for eight)

The three champions (AUS, CW, OUA) are ranked 1-3 with the OUA-Loser ranked #4 as the weakest champion - the Queen's cup is basically a tie-breaker to determine which of the two OUA teams is to be ranked higher and who will be #4). The #4 rank kind of sucks as they end up with the toughest AUS/CW runner-up in the first game as #5.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
As mike mentioned they decided last year to drop the rotating team and instead provide guaranteed berths to AUS & CW runner-ups and the OUA 3rd. They'd like to take four teams from the OUA, but that would require dropping the host (which you can't do).

So - CW, AUS and one of the two OUA divisons gets 2 teams with the weaker OUA division getting 1 (and then add the host for eight)

The three champions (AUS, CW, OUA) are ranked 1-3 with the OUA-Loser ranked #4 as the weakest champion - the Queen's cup is basically a tie-breaker to determine which of the two OUA teams is to be ranked higher and who will be #4). The #4 rank kind of sucks as they end up with the toughest AUS/CW runner-up in the first game as #5.

I don't know how this was bargained but this is the correct outcome. However, it was only a 2 year deal. After this year there are no guarantees.

When the deal was made they did not know who would be hosting in year 3 and thereafter. So we need to wait and see. IIRC the hope was that the OUA would host in years 3 and 4, in which case the CW and AUS would take turns getting a 3rd berth.

IMO the 8 team system is an improvement over what we had. And they no longer apply the theory that the OUA adopts the RSEQ berth. Those developments need to be maintained.

To further equalize, for one thing, when the host is one of the conference finalists they would not pass off one of their berths to their conference's 3rd place team.

And, for a second thing, there should be a playoff for the final berth or berths available after the finalists and host have their spots. I would have the 3rd and 4th place teams from each conference play for the wild-card spot(s).

So the qualifiers would be:
- 2 from the CW
- 2 from the OUA
- 2 from the AUS
- 2 wild-cards

If the host is not in top 2 of their conference, they claim one wild-card spot and the remaining 3rd/4th place teams from the 3 conferences would enter the playoff.

Therefore:

- If SMU is in the AUS final this year, there would be two "wild-card" spots available. So 6 teams (2 per conference) would be competing for 2 berths.

- If SMU is 3rd or 4th in the AUS, then they would qualify as host (along with the top 2 from each conference) and would not have to compete in the wild-card tournament. There would be only 5 teams competing for the one remaining berth.

- If SMU is 5th or lower in the AUS, then they would still qualify as host (along with the top 2 from each conference) and would not have to compete in the wild-card tournament. There would be 6 teams competing for the one remaining berth.

The wild-card playoff would be held the same weekend as the conference finals. Hence no advantage/disadvantage vis-a-vis other qualifiers for the nationals.

The result would be that any conference could have between 2 and 4 teams at the nationals in any given year.

Although it is a minor thing, I would alter the seeding formula. All I would require is that:
- teams face a non-conference opponent n the opening round; and
- a conference winner could not be ranked behind that conference's runner-up or any wild-card.

What would have happened in 2015 with this format?

CW qualifiers: Alberta and Calgary
OUA qualifiers: Guelph and UQTR
AUS qualifiers: UNB and Acadia
Wild-card: St. FX as host
Wild-card playoff: MRU, UBC, Windsor, McGill, SMU

Wild-card quarter-final: McGill v UBC
Wild-card semi-final 1: MRU v Windsor
Wild-card semi-final 2: SMU v quarter-final winner
Wild-card final: semi-final winners

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I don't know how this was bargained but this is the correct outcome. However, it was only a 2 year deal. After this year there are no guarantees. . . .

So, if SMU wins the AUS Title they can only take the AUS runner-up and transfer the wild-card to another conference?

That's a tough pill to swallow if your the host - having to give up a conference wild-card spot in the event you're a competitive team. You need local teams in the draw to sell tickets. Like last year - where they had UNB on Thu, X and ACD on Friday.

The wild-card and OUA #3 are really just filler to get to 8 teams - statistically these teams are not suppose to win their first game let alone their second. So, I see no reason to spend too much time having to figure out an A unless B then C or D if A is B scenario to decide which team is coming to the tournament to lose on day 1.

As for a playoff for 3rd place - the AUS has this in their regulations. In the event that SMU advances to the AUS Finals, the Semi-final losers will play a 3-game series, in parallel, with the Finals to determine who will represent the 'host' spot. This is only in the event that SMU advances.

Also if SMU doesn't advance - I don't see leaving the AUS runner-up off the ballet in an effort to get another OUA team in (likely the Bronze medal loser) or CW team (CW 3rd place). You're just trading runner-ups for runner-ups. Let the host have another local team to improve the draw.

In the 17 years we had the two(2) pool solution; #5 appeared in four(4) finals while 6 (the host) appeared in three(3). Only one(1) team won (#5 UNB in 2007). So, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about where #7 & #8 come from - their not likely to win.

In the last 20 years, the National Champion was ranked #1 at least in one(1) poll during the season 13 of 20 times. 5 of the remaining 7 were ranked #2 at least once. Only UNB in 2007 and SMU in 2010 came from the 6-10 ranks to win.

And finally - UdeM in '96 was the last Champion who was not ranked every week of the season - they only appeared in 4 of 12 polls) - the last 'Cinderella' team. Since then - each Champion has been ranked each week in that season's polls.

Previous to this - York in '89 who only appeared in the last two polls as they won playoff series.

Experienced and competative teams are that way all year and advance as champions and runner-ups through the playoff ranks. Stretching back to 3rd place isn't necessary - they're not good enough to be at the tournament.

So - don't worry about 3rd place tournaments and finding 'better' #7 and #8 picks. They're just cannon fodder in the first round.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
It is the host team who is granted a free pass - not their entire conference. SMU would be assured a berth but that is no reason to make it easier for Acadia et al. to qualify. They should have the same criteria as everybody else: Get to the conference final or qualify as wild-card.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I know how much you love these mini-playoffs to determine the bottom half of the bracket Holly, but we all know it is not economically feasible (not to mention causing more players to miss more class time).

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I know how much you love these mini-playoffs to determine the bottom half of the bracket Holly, but we all know it is not economically feasible (not to mention causing more players to miss more class time).

Basketball does away with a playoff by using ranking criteria for the teams which just missed qualifying for nationals from all conferences. They have a format where conference tournaments are played for their final four. They have no time for an intermediate tournament.

If costs are a big concern in hockey they might want to have a final four conference tournament instead of best-of-three playoffs. This is done in basketball and (most) volleyball. (Quebec and AUS each have only 3 volleyball teams.)

Link:
http://english.cis-sic.ca/information/members_info/pdfs/pdf_playing_regs/15-16/Basketball_-M-.pdf

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Thursday Night Recap

UOIT 3, Laurier 2

The Hodgins-era Ridgebacks continue to roll, overturning a two-goal deficit in Waterloo to beat the Golden Hawks. Brendan O'Neill sharp between the pipes for UOIT, stopping 23 of 25 shots, while Connor Jarvis picked up the winner at the 5:32 mark of the third period. Laurier captain Greg Cerilli had an involved night, registering two assists and getting in a late-game dust-up with UOIT's Luke VanMoerkerke.

UOIT jumps to...wait for it...16-7-2 on the year. Massive improvement from last season.
Laurier falls to 12-13-0 on the year; their magic playoff number is 1-pt (either they earn or Brock drops).

Queen's 6, RMC 2

It started off decently enough for Richard Lim's RMC squad -- they quickly equalized after Queen's scored the opening blow -- but a talent difference was clear throughout the night and the Paladins were eliminated from playoff contention with the loss. Eric Ming had a hat-trick for the Gaels, while Pat McGillis scored a pair. Hulking Paladins d-man Aidan Orbinski notched a pair of assists on the night, pushing his team-leading blueline point total to eight (1G, 7A).

Queen's improves to 15-7-1 on the year, and could realistically pass UOIT if they win their two games in-hand.
RMC falls to 3-18-3, and while you have to credit their consistent compete level, they just don't have the talent to win more than 2-4 games in this league right now.

Playoff Picture at Night's End
West
1) x-York 33 (4)
2) x-Western 30 (4)
3) x-Guelph 28 (3)
4) x-Windsor 27 (3)
5) x-Waterloo 26 (4)
6) Laurier 24 (3)
7) Ryerson 24 (3)
8) Toronto 22 (4)
-- --
9) Brock 18 (3)
10) Lakehead 16 (4)

East
1) x-UQTR 41 (4)
2) x-McGill 41 (2)
3) x-Carleton 36 (4)
4) x-UOIT 32 (4)
5) x-Queen's 31 (5)
6) x-Nipissing 23 (4)
7) x-Concordia 21 (4)
8) x-Laurentian 19 (3)
-- --
9) z-RMC 9 (4)

Last edited:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Just for fun...

Let's take a look at what the OUA Conference standings look like overall:

1. x-UQTR (41) (4)
2. x-McGill (41) (2)
3. x-Carleton (36) (4)
4. UOIT (34) (3)
5. York (33) (4)
6. Queen's (31) (5)
7. Western (30) (4)
8. Guelph (28) (3)
-- --
9. Windsor (27) (3)
10. Waterloo (26) (4)
11. Laurier (24) (3)
12. Ryerson (24) (3)
13. Nipissing (23) (4)
14. Toronto (22) (4)
15. Concordia (21) (4)
16. z-Laurentian (19) (3)
17. z-Brock (18) (3)
18. z-Lakehead (16) (4)
19. z-RMC (9) (4)

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
UOIT 3, Laurier 2

The Hodgins-era Ridgebacks continue to roll, overturning a two-goal deficit in Waterloo to beat the Golden Hawks. Brendan O'Neill sharp between the pipes for UOIT, stopping 23 of 25 shots, while Connor Jarvis picked up the winner at the 5:32 mark of the third period. Laurier captain Greg Cerilli had an involved night, registering two assists and getting in a late-game dust-up with UOIT's Luke VanMoerkerke.

UOIT jumps to...wait for it...16-7-2 on the year. Massive improvement from last season.
Laurier falls to 12-13-0 on the year; their magic playoff number is 1-pt (either they earn or Brock drops).

Am I the only crazy one that could see UOIT pulling off the upset of one of the top teams in the OUAE in round 2? I'm a big believer that the lower seed gets a big boost in the over-350-km series, because they can win game one at home and then go play for a road split to win the series. With the Ridgebacks, this is certainly in play.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
UOIT 3, Laurier 2

Queen's 6, RMC 2

It started off decently enough for Richard Lim's RMC squad -- they quickly equalized after Queen's scored the opening blow -- but a talent difference was clear throughout the night and the Paladins were eliminated from playoff contention with the loss. Eric Ming had a hat-trick for the Gaels, while Pat McGillis scored a pair. Hulking Paladins d-man Aidan Orbinski notched a pair of assists on the night, pushing his team-leading blueline point total to eight (1G, 7A).

Queen's improves to 15-7-1 on the year, and could realistically pass UOIT if they win their two games in-hand.
RMC falls to 3-18-3, and while you have to credit their consistent compete level, they just don't have the talent to win more than 2-4 games in this league right now.

Playoff Picture at Night's End
West
1) x-York 33 (4)
2) x-Western 30 (4)
3) x-Guelph 28 (3)
4) x-Windsor 27 (3)
5) x-Waterloo 26 (4)
6) Laurier 24 (3)
7) Ryerson 24 (3)
8) Toronto 22 (4)
-- --
9) Brock 18 (3)
10) Lakehead 16 (4)

East
1) x-UQTR 41 (4)
2) x-McGill 41 (2)
3) x-Carleton 36 (4)
4) x-UOIT 32 (4)
5) x-Queen's 31 (5)
6) x-Nipissing 23 (4)
7) x-Concordia 21 (4)
8) x-Laurentian 19 (3)
-- --
9) z-RMC 9 (4)

I believe Laurier clinched a playoff berth 2 games ago (when they were 12-11). The maximum number of points at that point Brock could generate is 24 (with a potential 9 wins to Laurier's 12).

I attended last night's game between Laurier and UOIT. It was one of the more boring games I attended this year. Both teams played very poorly, with a very choppy, defensive game with total shots hovering around 25 each and most goals coming on broken plays. Neither team was capable of carrying the play at any point.

Laurier got on a hot streak, winning 4 in a row to clinch their playoff spot, but have been pretty banged up and it has caught up to them in the past 2. The past 2 games have seen them dress a defenceman who splits his time between Laurier and a local Junior C club as they are missing 3 of their 8 "regular" defencemen (and 2 of their top 6). They are also missing just enough forwards that it seems to be impacting their forward line combinations (likely not any more than any other team, but Laurier likely does not have as much depth up front to start with).

I will see UOIT's likely opponent this Sunday in Queen's. Based on my viewing, I am surprised UOIT has 16 wins. I expect Laurier to have a tough time with Queen's given their overall depth and strength in goal.

At this point (if York wins the division), Laurier may be better to finish 8th. They have won both meetings with York (2-0), and have lost all 4 in regulation against Western and Guelph (teams 2-3).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad