2015-16 OUA Thread

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Yep, Carleton would have hosted had they won. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the third place game being played in Quebec in years when they have it.

The Quebec teams playing in Ontario was never envisioned as being a long-term plan...I recall in the early 90's discussion about starting programs at both Montreal and Laval, at which time the RSEQ could have re-formed and presumably taken Ottawa with them, but nothing came to pass. It's been almost 30 years now since they came over so they really ought to look at this rule.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Yep, Carleton would have hosted had they won. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the third place game being played in Quebec in years when they have it.

The Quebec teams playing in Ontario was never envisioned as being a long-term plan...I recall in the early 90's discussion about starting programs at both Montreal and Laval, at which time the RSEQ could have re-formed and presumably taken Ottawa with them, but nothing came to pass. It's been almost 30 years now since they came over so they really ought to look at this rule.

Can't fathom why Montreal nor Laval -- or even Bishop's -- haven't started men's teams. Montreal has been uber-successful in both football and w-hockey since starting up those programs, Laval's loaded, and a school like Bishop's would be a great draw for both fans and players based on campus location and demographics.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Can't fathom why Montreal nor Laval -- or even Bishop's -- haven't started men's teams. Montreal has been uber-successful in both football and w-hockey since starting up those programs, Laval's loaded, and a school like Bishop's would be a great draw for both fans and players based on campus location and demographics.

The poster Dutch (from UQTR) touched on this last year. Too many Quebec players are opting for the Quebec senior leagues which makes recruitment efforts very difficult for UQTR (and Moncton). I've noticed the steady decline with Moncton the last few years. They used to be a powerhouse. You might be able to argue the same with Les Patriots. Apparently Montreal is on record as saying they won't be starting up a Men's program.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
The poster Dutch (from UQTR) touched on this last year. Too many Quebec players are opting for the Quebec senior leagues which makes recruitment efforts very difficult for UQTR (and Moncton). I've noticed the steady decline with Moncton the last few years. They used to be a powerhouse. You might be able to argue the same with Les Patriots. Apparently Montreal is on record as saying they won't be starting up a Men's program.

Actually, I'd say that UQTR's recruitement is getting better and better as the LNAH is scalling down, which means lower salaries. But now, players are coming in from the ECHL or AHL, which has also helped.

I'd say that Moncton's problems are related to the fact that McGill, Concordia and more and more Carleton are turning to french players. They're used to be a saying that there was only 3 programs for francophones in the CIS (UQTR, Moncton and Ottawa), but since the Q is almost an english league nowadays, it's not a problem to go to Concordia, McGill, Carleton, UNB, etc. Moncton has lost many players because of that.

Laval is on the record as not starting a program, and Montreal probably is thinking the same.

As for Bishop's, they have a brand new athletic center with an arena that would be perfect for CIS. And they could attract players from all over Canada. I'm sure they'd do good, but I've never heard any interest from there.

They went from this:
299040.jpg

to this

18971972529_5ea6dd46dc_b.jpg

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Hockey in Quebec is in a downward spiral. Here is a chart: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province-totals/nhl-players-2015-16-stats.html

Quebec now produces fewer NHLers than Alberta and B.C. By the end of the decade they will fall behind Saskatchewan.

Laval, Montreal, and McMaster should have CIS teams. There should also be college leagues in the east, like there used to be. IMO these things need to be addressed by Hockey Canada. Campuses have kept alive sports like volleyball and basketball and hockey needs them now.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laval certainly isn't for lack of facilities. I was up there in September and could not believe the athletic complex. I have tried to include a picture of the arena, which is all in the same building as the pool, basketball court and plenty of other sports (indoor tennis courts, gym etc.)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Former Teams

Many of the schools mentioned have had hockey teams in the past.

School (last played)
==============
Laval (1983/84)
Bishop's (1983/84)
McMaster (1988/89)
Montreal (some time in the 70s)

I love those purple bucket seats in Bishop's new rink. I wonder why they built such a big arena (same for Laval) when you don't have a varsity team using it?

Someone mentioned Moncton's challenges for Francophone players. A number are opting for traditional 'English' schools (eg. UNB has 6 Francophone players; Halley, Maillet, Beauvillier, Dubeau, Marcoux & Clapperton - all of which are impact players. Had they played for UdeM, they would have certainly been fighting for an AUS title).

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Arena Envy

Laval certainly isn't for lack of facilities. I was up there in September and could not believe the athletic complex. I have tried to include a picture of the arena, which is all in the same building as the pool, basketball court and plenty of other sports (indoor tennis courts, gym etc.)

:amazed:
Wow! Interesting to see that Laval, without a CIS men's hockey program, has a nicer rink than the Canada West champion Saskatchewan Huskies, who had to turn away fans from both of their Canada West final games against Alberta this past weekend. On Saturday, the game was sold out by 6 p.m. for the 7 p.m. start.:shakehead

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Doesn't (or didn't, don't know if they still do it) Laval send their football team to train in Florida. Doesn't seem like their athletics department is hurting for money.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Doesn't (or didn't, don't know if they still do it) Laval send their football team to train in Florida. Doesn't seem like their athletics department is hurting for money.

Laval football is privately run thats why they can afford Florida trips. Best university team money can buy!

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Laval football is privately run thats why they can afford Florida trips. Best university team money can buy!

And that's the only way they'll have hockey. If a rich man shows up, wants to run the team privately, they'll say yes. That's how sports are done at Laval, which explains why the money the university spends each year on sports is the same as UQTR, but with way more teams.

As for having a rink... intramurals are much, much more interesting moneywise to the university than having a team and losing 8-10 hours a week.

Oh and, that arena is actually where Blainville-Boisbriand plays in the Q, not the Laval rink.

Here's the PEPS arena. Sizewise, it would be perfect for CIS hockey.

http://www.qmjhlarenaguide.com/peps.htm

arena.jpg

Last edited:

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
And that's the only way they'll have hockey. If a rich man shows up, wants to run the team privately, they'll say yes. That's how sports are done at Laval, which explains why the money the university spends each year on sports is the same as UQTR, but with way more teams.

As for having a rink... intramurals are much, much more interesting moneywise to the university than having a team and losing 8-10 hours a week.

Oh and, that arena is actually where Blainville-Boisbriand plays in the Q, not the Laval rink.

Here's the PEPS arena. Sizewise, it would be perfect for CIS hockey.

http://www.qmjhlarenaguide.com/peps.htm

arena.jpg

I stand corrected on the picture - I only briefly passed the arena (but did get lost in the whole complex for almost an hour). Thank you for posting the correct link.

I found on another site that the seating is 2,000.

http://www.scom.ulaval.ca/Al/images/image18angl.html

As for predictions, I will go:

4-3 UQTR
2-1 Carleton

After seeing the results of the more recent Queen's Cup and bronze games which are unpredictable, I think there will be one unexpected result (a win by Western or Guelph). But I do not feel which game is more likely, so I will play it safe and pick the 2 favorites.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
All-Stars

OUA East Coach-of-the-Year: UQTR Marc-Etienne Hubert

OUA East Rookie-of-the-Year: CAR Brett Welychka

OUA East MVP: UQTR Guillaume Asselin

OUA East Randy Gregg Community Award: CON Olivier Hinse

OUA East First All-Star Team:
  • F UQTR Guillaume Asselin
  • F CAR Brett Welychka
  • F CON Olivier Hinse
  • D MCG Samuel Labrecque
  • D QU Spencer Abraham
  • G QU Kevin Bailie

OUA East Second All-Star Team:
  • F MCG Mathieu Pompei
  • F UQTR Tommy Giroux
  • F CAR Mike McNamee
  • D UQTR Martin Lefebvre
  • D MCG Dominic Talbot-Tassi
  • G UQTR Sebastien Auger

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
OUA West Awards and All-Stars:

Most Valuable Player: Colin Behenna – Forward – Waterloo Warriors
Rookie of the Year: Justice Dundas – Forward – Windsor Lancers
Randy Gregg Award of Merit: Mike Moffat – Defenceman – Waterloo Warriors
Most Sportsmanlike Award: Billy Jenkins - Forward - Lakehead Thunderwolves
Defenceman of the Year: Derek Sheppard – Defence – York Lions
Goalie of the Year: Andrew D'Agostini – Goaltender – Guelph Gryphons
Coach of the Year: Chris Dennis – York Lions

OUA First-Team All-Stars

Colin Behenna – Forward – Waterloo Warriors
Michael Fine – Forward – Ryerson Rams
Trevor Petersen – Forward – York Lions
Derek Sheppard – Defence – York Lions
Nick Trecapelli – Defence – Guelph Gryphons
Andrew D'Agostini – Goaltender – Guelph Gryphons

OUA Second-Team All-Stars

Chris Maniccia – Forward – Brock Badgers
Patrick Marsh – Forward – Toronto Varsity Blues
Christian Finch – Forward – Toronto Varsity Blues
Joe Underwood – Defence – Waterloo Warriors
Mike Moffat – Defence – Waterloo Warriors
Chris Perugini – Goaltender – York Lions

OUA All-Rookie Team

Justice Dundas – Forward – Windsor Lancers
Matt Campagna – Forward – Toronto Varsity Blues
Billy Jenkins – Forward – Lakehead Thunderwolves
Brandon Devlin – Defence – Ryerson Rams
Mac Clutsam – Defence – Laurier Golden Hawks
Blake Richard – Goaltender – Windsor Lancers

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Am I the only one who thinks it's time to merge all those awards ? Dividing them by division only weakens the value of some of these players.

Then again, it would be much more easy if the West teams only faced West teams and the same for East teams. Better rivalries and less travel cost, I'm sure that would bring people to the stands.

Predictions (I haven't been so good so far)

4-3 UQTR
5-2 Carleton

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Then again, it would be much more easy if the West teams only faced West teams and the same for East teams.

When the OUA moved to a more balanced schedule a couple years ago, I know some coaches were not pleased with the decision. The travel is pretty taxing (and expensive), and the in-conference rivalries aren't as intense.

The four-division format of the 90's and 00's cultivated a lot of pretty awesome rivalries. If the OUA ever went back to that model, you could play inside your division four times (16 games), a home+home with the other division in your conference (10 games), and one super weekend of east-west cross-conference play (2 games).

It would also simplify the travel exceptions we see with Lakehead and Windsor, since they have these weird, unbalanced interconference schedules.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
When the OUA moved to a more balanced schedule a couple years ago, I know some coaches were not pleased with the decision. The travel is pretty taxing (and expensive), and the in-conference rivalries aren't as intense.

The four-division format of the 90's and 00's cultivated a lot of pretty awesome rivalries. If the OUA ever went back to that model, you could play inside your division four times (16 games), a home+home with the other division in your conference (10 games), and one super weekend of east-west cross-conference play (2 games).

It would also simplify the travel exceptions we see with Lakehead and Windsor, since they have these weird, unbalanced interconference schedules.

Well, it was the coaches who drove the decision to go to 2 divisions, so take their complaints with a grain of salt.

The big motivator for the re-alignment was that the OUA Mid-East consisted of Toronto, Ryerson, Queen's, and RMC, whereas the OUA Far-East consisted of UQTR, McGill, Ottawa, and Concordia. RMC made the playoffs with 3 wins in 2003-2004 (two of which came vs. Ryerson). It was the coaches from the stronger programs that were complaining about that format - hence the balanced schedule.

You can't have it all.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Well, it was the coaches who drove the decision to go to 2 divisions, so take their complaints with a grain of salt.

The big motivator for the re-alignment was that the OUA Mid-East consisted of Toronto, Ryerson, Queen's, and RMC, whereas the OUA Far-East consisted of UQTR, McGill, Ottawa, and Concordia. RMC made the playoffs with 3 wins in 2003-2004 (two of which came vs. Ryerson). It was the coaches from the stronger programs that were complaining about that format - hence the balanced schedule.

You can't have it all.

We're talking about two different events here - the realignment from four divisions to two happened in 2009, while the more balanced schedule changes just happened in 2013. Realignment didn't come with a balanced schedule - from 09-13, after realignment, there was still an imbalanced schedule - teams played only four interdivisional games per season.

As for the original reason for the realignment (the RMC playoff case), why couldn't the OUA go back to four divisions, but still have two "conferences" for playoff purposes? Not only did the NHL did for 20 years (and the NBA, NFL, and MLB continue to do so), but the OUA did this in the 2000's before realignment. Back then, the four division winners all git 1st rd byes, but the first-round matchups were based on conference matchups, not divisional - so the teams in the Far West and Mid West were ranked 3-6 regardless of divisions, and those were your first-round playoff matchups.

In a four-division format these days, it could work exactly like the NHL back in the 4-division days: the two division winners get playoff seeds 1-2, and the next 6 best teams across the conference get seeded accordingly. In effect, this wouldn't change the OUA playoff system at all, save for the seeding of the division champions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->