2015-16 Oilers Prospect Camp (Invites: Tyler Soy, Loïk Léveillé)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How are Nurse and McDavid on the same team? Seems pretty unfair.

Also can anyone give reports on Tyler Soy and Jordan Papirny so far? Have any of them made any impression? Or Kevin Davis (except getting owned by McDavid)? What about Jones and Marino? Haven't heard much about these guys from the guys that have been going/watched the camp so far.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Really? I'm about to head off to Rexall. I thought doors open in another hour?

The entrance by the NE box office is already packed. Lineups outside are starting to form.

I'm donating 20 bucks to the Officer Woodall fundraiser and I encourage others to as well. /plug

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The entrance by the NE box office is already packed. Lineups outside are starting to form.

I'm donating 20 bucks to the Officer Woodall fundraiser and I encourage others to as well. /plug

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I'll be donating money as well for the fundraiser. See you lads there. :yo:

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Waaaa, they took my camera

:cry:

lt9lLpy.jpg

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
How are Nurse and McDavid on the same team? Seems pretty unfair.

Also can anyone give reports on Tyler Soy and Jordan Papirny so far? Have any of them made any impression? Or Kevin Davis (except getting owned by McDavid)? What about Jones and Marino? Haven't heard much about these guys from the guys that have been going/watched the camp so far.

Soy lacks high-end skill and skating at his size/strength-level to make him an attractive NHL prospect, noticeably good hockey sense and is a hard worker though - could possibly be an AHL guy eventually. I'm sure he will put up decent points for the rest of his WHL career.

Jones was a highlight of the sessions, a great skater with a natural feel for the game. Sharp passer in motion, very fluid natural way of processing the game and making decisions on both sides of the puck - gets his stick on everything coming down on him, uses his skating as a weapon both ways to contain space, not high-octane but smooth and eats up ice in all directions, the game comes naturally to him and he has the size/reach/athleticsm to make it all work. He will be a big-time threat for Portland depended on in both a shutdown role and expected to contribute offense by keeping pucks moving and QB'ing the PP with Henry and Viveiros departing. Expect big things next year, possibly a push for World Juniors.

Marino looks skinny and lacking strength and power right now in his battles and in his skating at moments, can see a little bit of potential. Movement looks smooth at times but can tell his core and lower body strength/explosiveness has lacked training compared to many of his peers. Is not an offensive d-man really at all. Can tell he has not played high-level hockey, jams the puck around the wall and passes into pressure right now when he is panicked, he is not used to high-level competition. There are elements of intelligence and hockey sense in his game in terms of poise with the puck, but he has a lot of work to do to be considered a legit prospect - he has time but I wouldn't be overly excited. I think he was used to being able to do more in games and battles than against this comp, will take periods of adjustment at every level. If he was not drafted you would probably not be able to differentiate him from invites but it's his lack of development thus far that represents potential to the staff I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad