2015-16 Oilers Prospect Camp (Invites: Tyler Soy, Loïk Léveillé)

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I went to the camp both today and yesterday, and I'm not getting the love everyone has for Lagesson. His skating looked suspect, particularly his balance, which was most apparent in the 3-person skating drills session before the 1st group yesterday. His passing also wasn't very impressive, nor was his puck control, and while he engaged physically, he wasn't strong enough to make a difference. I was expecting him to be one of my favorites, and I was disappointed.

Betker was the exact opposite. I expected to hate him and came away loving him. Has that Nurse-like quality of being a great skater in a big body, and he seemed to have pretty good passing skills to boot. I like him a lot as a potential shutdown D, which surprised me.

McDavid was better yesterday than today. Seemed a little frustrated by that at times. Other than that, what more needs to be said? Most sublime skating I've ever seen, and no one could make their opponent look sillier on a drill than McDavid, not even Nurse.

Speaking of Nurse, hewas fantastic both days. Absolutely fantastic. I may have a new favorite Oiler. Fast, aggressive, positionally precise (even on skating drills), and one of the more skilled guys too. Had a sick deke for a goal today. He was also by far the hardest worker. Every single drill he was attacking with pace, and the coaches noticed. He was almost always the guy to model the drills for the coaches, and he was almost always the first guy to do them. He also stayed late today, the only guy to do so, to work on his edges. Really impressive work ethic.

Draisaitl looked a little disengaged at times. Faster than I remembered, which was nice. Still has that fantastic passing ability, and his defensive game looked really solid. Could see him becoming more of a Staal two-way type in the future. Really excited for him. He also took the time to pass a few pucks over the glass to kids during warm up, which was great to see.

I could go on, but I'll leave it there. If anyone has any more specific questions, I'd love to lend my thoughts.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
@ OF17 thanks for the scouting report. very well done. I wonder if LMHF is going to be back next season with his post game reports

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Opinion on everyone's favorite undrafted invite Loik Leveille?

I didn't watch much of him to be honest. I was trying to focus more on the guys already prospects than the invites. Esposito and was it Robertson? were the most noticeable invites for me. Loik didn't call out to me in a particularly positive or negative way.

Wanted to add one point. The picks from this year looked great to my eye. Marino and Svoboda were the best surprises, but Bear and Jones looked good too. Very happy with the picks after this limited exposure. Svoboda was the 1st star of the 2nd session today.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
@ OF17 thanks for the scouting report. very well done. I wonder if LMHF is going to be back next season with his post game reports

No problem, and thank you. It's fun to talk about this stuff. I would love the LMHF reports to come back. Those were the absolute best.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Opinion on everyone's favorite undrafted invite Loik Leveille?

He can really protect the puck in the battle drills. He definitly is taller then 5'-9" as listed on the guide. Choppy skating though

Side note: Not sure how accurate the weights are listed on the guide, says McDavid it 6'-1" at 190, but maybe he got bigger after the combine. If anyone is interested, I can copy the roster sheet with height/weight for you all to see.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
I didn't watch much of him to be honest. I was trying to focus more on the guys already prospects than the invites. Esposito and was it Robertson? were the most noticeable invites for me. Loik didn't call out to me in a particularly positive or negative way.

Wanted to add one point. The picks from this year looked great to my eye. Marino and Svoboda were the best surprises, but Bear and Jones looked good too. Very happy with the picks after this limited exposure. Svoboda was the 1st star of the 2nd session today.

Want to touch on Svoboda. I'll admit I usually don't evaluate goaltenders, but I really like his lateral movement. He tracks the play well and fights hard for rebounds. Maybe it was the quality of the other tenders, but I was impressed. If he and one of the drafted D stick in the NHL in the future then what a great draft. All of the young D have poor shots. Lalaggeia (sp?) has a good wrister but I think NHL goalies would find his tendency pretty quick (always top shelf). He's also 23...

I'll really be rooting for Svoboda more than anyone not named McDavid.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Want to touch on Svoboda. I'll admit I usually don't evaluate goaltenders, but I really like his lateral movement. He tracks the play well and fights hard for rebounds. Maybe it was the quality of the other tenders, but I was impressed. If he and one of the drafted D stick in the NHL in the future then what a great draft. All of the young D have poor shots. Lalaggeia (sp?) has a good wrister but I think NHL goalies would find his tendency pretty quick (always top shelf). He's also 23...

I'll really be rooting for Svoboda more than anyone not named McDavid.

Yeah, I'm by no means a goalie expert, but you don't need to be to be impressed by Svoboda. As you said, he had crisp, quick movements, and he seemed to track the puck really well. Did really well in a puck deflection drill today, including one fantastic reaction save on a high tip. Looked better than Nagelvoort to my eye. Very excited to have him. He made a new fan in me this weekend.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I was expecting more out of LaLeggia but he did make a couple of the nice dishes he's known for.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I went to the camp both today and yesterday, and I'm not getting the love everyone has for Lagesson. His skating looked suspect, particularly his balance, which was most apparent in the 3-person skating drills session before the 1st group yesterday. His passing also wasn't very impressive, nor was his puck control, and while he engaged physically, he wasn't strong enough to make a difference. I was expecting him to be one of my favorites, and I was disappointed.

Betker was the exact opposite. I expected to hate him and came away loving him. Has that Nurse-like quality of being a great skater in a big body, and he seemed to have pretty good passing skills to boot. I like him a lot as a potential shutdown D, which surprised me.

McDavid was better yesterday than today. Seemed a little frustrated by that at times. Other than that, what more needs to be said? Most sublime skating I've ever seen, and no one could make their opponent look sillier on a drill than McDavid, not even Nurse.

Speaking of Nurse, hewas fantastic both days. Absolutely fantastic. I may have a new favorite Oiler. Fast, aggressive, positionally precise (even on skating drills), and one of the more skilled guys too. Had a sick deke for a goal today. He was also by far the hardest worker. Every single drill he was attacking with pace, and the coaches noticed. He was almost always the guy to model the drills for the coaches, and he was almost always the first guy to do them. He also stayed late today, the only guy to do so, to work on his edges. Really impressive work ethic.

Draisaitl looked a little disengaged at times. Faster than I remembered, which was nice. Still has that fantastic passing ability, and his defensive game looked really solid. Could see him becoming more of a Staal two-way type in the future. Really excited for him. He also took the time to pass a few pucks over the glass to kids during warm up, which was great to see.

I could go on, but I'll leave it there. If anyone has any more specific questions, I'd love to lend my thoughts.

Thanks for the write-up.

Seems as though everyone has come away impressed with Betker this week.

Oct 30, 2011
I know he's a little raw and a little lanky, but I liked his defensive positioning and thought he worked his angles well. I also liked his composure.

I don't disagree with what you said though.

Lagesson*

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It's too bad Lagesson likely won't be around for the Penticton Tourney, as that'd be a much better way to gauge how he looks versus this development camp.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

I agree with most of what you said except for on Betker. I liked his awareness and, obviously, his size but I thought his skating was pretty suspect. Decent going forward but seemed to get beaten a lot skating backwards.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Courtesy Tim Osborne; http://moby.to/iyhjt9

That first move McDavid makes on the 1-on-2, dear god. So ****ing quick and effective. I'm not super sold on the "Next One" thing just cause I haven't ever seen him play, but golly that was impressive.

EDIT: Gives me a very Patrick Kane vibe, from the limited video I have now watched of him.

That particular move gives me more of a Nuge vibe:

I'm really going to enjoy having these two guys as a one-two punch for years to come.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Here is the official Heights and Weights of all the players attending the camp from the sheet that was given at the development camp.

Leveille and Bear listed at 5'9??
Laleggia 5'8??

Man... those are tiny defensemen.

Talk about teams fudging their numbers. Leveille and Bear's junior teams added 3 inches to their height?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Loik Levelle, 5'9" and 228lbs...is this guy a cheese wheel?

Cole Sandford had decent production, although, he's an overager. Pretty small too.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Does anybody know if tonight's prospects game is gonna be streamed online?

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I'm by no means a goalie expert, but you don't need to be to be impressed by Svoboda. As you said, he had crisp, quick movements, and he seemed to track the puck really well. Did really well in a puck deflection drill today, including one fantastic reaction save on a high tip. Looked better than Nagelvoort to my eye. Very excited to have him. He made a new fan in me this weekend.

How did Esposito look?

dudeoverhere

Feb 23, 2012
Leveille and Bear listed at 5'9??
Laleggia 5'8??

Man... those are tiny defensemen.

Talk about teams fudging their numbers. Leveille and Bear's junior teams added 3 inches to their height?
I would not pay much respect to the numbers, it also says Kevin Davis plays with Seattle Thunderbirds lol, which is actually Everett Silvertips (WHL), also Bear is not 5'9", his 5'11" maybe half inch bigger

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Loik Levelle, 5'9" and 228lbs...is this guy a cheese wheel?

Cole Sandford had decent production, although, he's an overager. Pretty small too.

He must be chubby at that size...either that or he takes roids :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad