2015/16 Miscellaneous NHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
If we're going by his coaching career then yeah he might be.

Aside from that, that's the exact same silly and fallacy-filled logic of "well we can't criticize management, they're the ones who are in player and have played the game, we're just laymen on a keyboard".
I never said you can't criticize his opinion, I just said he's also a dum dum like everyone not part of this subforum (along with some of us that have penetrated this safe bubble of sanity and reason, of course).
Gretzky has a habit of exaggerating on who's the best of this and that.
Do you have any particular quotes? As far as Toews goes, he just casually mentioned him and Crosby when talking about Kopitar as his #3 last year, actually.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do you have any particular quotes? As far as Toews goes, he just casually mentioned him and Crosby when talking about Kopitar as his #3 last year, actually.

I don't know, I've just read quotes on here when he's said things. If I'm remembering correctly he said something about McDavid being the best prospect of all time, Gordie Howe being the best player to ever live, and I vaguely remember him saying some semi-obscure player was the best at something and people were saying how that was a really strange opinion.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I never said you can't criticize his opinion, I just said he's also a dum dum like everyone not part of this subforum (along with some of us that have penetrated this safe bubble of sanity and reason, of course).

Maybe this is a thread you want to read. It has lots of Grtezky comment about players. Thread title is : Gretzky called Forsberg the greatest of all time.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1775293

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Maybe this is a thread you want to read. It has lots of Grtezky comment about players. Thread title is : Gretzky called Forsberg the greatest of all time.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1775293
Heh, good stuff. It only has one link to his quotes (the stuff in regards to Zetterberg), though, so it's hard to see where and if he contradicted himself.

By the way, did he ever say anything that superlative about Giroux?

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
When your profession is anything related to sports you take any job opportunity you can get, there are no more allegiances to teams any longer, your favorite team is the one signing your pay check.

That's not the case. I've worked for a Cardinals affiliate and now work for a Yankees affiliate, still a Phils fan.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Off the top of my head, I recall Gretzky saying something to the effect that Paul Kariya had a chance to break his records and that Ron Hextall was the greatest goalie he ever faced (which he said in the late 80's and then later said the same thing about other goalies.)

Gretzky's always been very liberal when it comes to dishing out praise.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Hmm, damn, I wish you guys had actual quotes, because while I see the general sentiment, it's hard to say which of his stuff was way off and which of it was actually reasonable, but then later remembered as an unreasonable "something to the effect".

For example, in McDavid's case, it was reported that Gretzky said "he's as good as I've seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years, [...] the best to come along since (Mario) Lemieux and (Sidney) Crosby." Most people then just say that he said McDavid's the best player in the last 30 years, whereas the quote is clearly more reasonable in the context of that last addition.

In any case, like I said, in Toews's case, the quote was "I think Anze Kopitar, right now, is the third-best player in the National Hockey League, only behind [Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney] Crosby and [Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan] Toews, and he’s getting better every game", and that was in last year's playoffs.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
If he is very wary of the media then I can understand his approach to commenting on other players. It's probably better to be overly generous if you don't want anyone to ever have a chance of interpreting your comments to mean anything negative.

It's pretty much impossible to understand his motivations or to even interpret much from his comments though, due to the uniqueness of his situation.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hmm, damn, I wish you guys had actual quotes, because while I see the general sentiment, it's hard to say which of his stuff was way off and which of it was actually reasonable, but then later remembered as an unreasonable "something to the effect".

Here's the Hextall quote: http://articles.mcall.com/1987-05-31/sports/2574254_1_ron-hextall-puck-greatest-hockey-player

This isn't the quote I'm looking for - it's hard to dig up random quotes from the 80's & 90's made during press conferences after games even with the glory that is the internet - but here's a clip from 1997 where Gretzky says that if Kariya & Selanne were playing in 1982 that they'd break the records. It's at the very end. It isn't egregious, but it still is another example of him heaping praise on guys.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even if we ignore his past quotes, him saying that someone's a top 3 player doesn't automatically make it so. It's one persons opinion, the fact that he was a great hockey player doesn't increase the validity of his statements.

I mean look at Roenick, he was also a good player and he's a raving idiot without a clue most of the time. Milbury has been involved with hockey for a long time, but he's one of the dumbest out there. The point is, someone being an ex-player, no matter how good they were, isn't enough to automatically mean that they know what they're talking about.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

For example, in McDavid's case, it was reported that Gretzky said "he's as good as I've seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years, [...] the best to come along since (Mario) Lemieux and (Sidney) Crosby." Most people then just say that he said McDavid's the best player in the last 30 years, whereas the quote is clearly more reasonable in the context of that last addition.

In any case, like I said, in Toews's case, the quote was "I think Anze Kopitar, right now, is the third-best player in the National Hockey League, only behind [Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney] Crosby and [Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan] Toews, and he’s getting better every game", and that was in last year's playoffs.

Quick google searches show he said Howe is the best player ever just last year and also said Zetteberg is the best Swede ever.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Not really...because it has gone right down to the media.
The Chicago media is almost as bad as the Toronto one. When they have a winner-Bulls, Bears, White Sox, Cubs or Hawks- they are insufferable. "Best Team Ever"; "Dynasty"; etc. Their media outlets are middling to poor and bring out the worst in their fans. The place has inferiority complex. Its the Second City that has become the Third City and is quickly slipping down the scale. A sad place.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Media plays a LARGE role in pushing certain players. Look at the media attention Tavares got for finishing 17th in league scoring....Hart nomination. He 100% earned it this year! but not that year.

Look how LITTLE amount of attention Benn is getting for winning the Art Ross. If that was Tavares, all of the Toronto media would be talking how this in now Tavares's league.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Chicago media is almost as bad as the Toronto one. When they have a winner-Bulls, Bears, White Sox, Cubs or Hawks- they are insufferable. "Best Team Ever"; "Dynasty"; etc. Their media outlets are middling to poor and bring out the worst in their fans. The place has inferiority complex. Its the Second City that has become the Third City and is quickly slipping down the scale. A sad place.

To be fair to Chicago

The Bulls Dynasty was pretty damn good dynasty ,, Some would say best in modern era

85 Bears are really all football fans have to hold onto and this city will be talking about that team until another Bear team finally does something worthy of discussion

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
To be fair to Chicago

The Bulls Dynasty was pretty damn good dynasty ,, Some would say best in modern era

85 Bears are really all football fans have to hold onto and this city will be talking about that team until another Bear team finally does something worthy of discussion

The Bulls/Jordan years were good but then there was Krause who could turn a wedding into a funeral in one minute. Bulls fans though aren't obnoxious. Really most Hawks fans aren't either having suffered through the Bill Wirtz years. Cubs fans however........

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Here's the Hextall quote: http://articles.mcall.com/1987-05-31/sports/2574254_1_ron-hextall-puck-greatest-hockey-player

This isn't the quote I'm looking for - it's hard to dig up random quotes from the 80's & 90's made during press conferences after games even with the glory that is the internet - but here's a clip from 1997 where Gretzky says that if Kariya & Selanne were playing in 1982 that they'd break the records. It's at the very end. It isn't egregious, but it still is another example of him heaping praise on guys.

Thanks for the quote and the video. As far as the latter goes, I agree that it's not an egregious claim at all. And you can also see what difference it makes saying that he thinks they'd break his records in their era vs. saying he thinks they'd break his records playing together in his era. Prior to you posting the video, I've only seen people on these boards claim that he said the former. But that doesn't seem to be true and is a blatant attempt at trying to portray him as a guy that will say just anything by taking his quotes entirely out of context.

As for the bolded, it's even harder to accurately remember what has been said during those conferences if one doesn't have a source to check every so often to refresh their memory. If you look at studies on memory, you'll see how false memories get created, and the above Kariya thing is a perfect example. So I'm definitely not taking HF posters' words when they report on him saying something without an actual quote. There's a greater chance that they just made it up or misrepresented it entirely than that it's correct.

Even if we ignore his past quotes, him saying that someone's a top 3 player doesn't automatically make it so. It's one persons opinion, the fact that he was a great hockey player doesn't increase the validity of his statements.
I never said it did, and sure it's just one person's opinion. But he's been involved with the game longer and at a higher level than you, me or anyone else on these boards. So he's what you'd call an expert. Same as when someone gets a Ph.D. with a dissertation on something. Then they're experts on that thing. Can they be wrong when discussing a particular relating to it? Sure. But you don't go into a debate with them saying "oh, haha, here's me, I don't have your expertise, but my opinion here is equally as valid, because we're both just people". Not because the latter is untrue, but because an expert draws on his accumulated knowledge and uses it to form his opinion, even if he then doesn't express everything he drew on explicitly. That's not argument by authority, because I'm not saying he's definitely right.

But the point here was that some people here were saying how overrated Toews is, and I just pointed to an example of an expert and a non-poster that rates him even higher than the posters who are supposed to be overrating him. I'm also unsure of how overrated he really is on these boards. People are just saying he's really good, and if they say he's better than Giroux, an argument can be made for that. That's not being overrated, because the general sentiment isn't that he wipes his ass with Giroux. It's just that he's better. If you or anyone else disagrees (an a lot do), fine. But if he's winning a poll where the two are pitted against one another, then that doesn't automatically make him overrated.

Media plays a LARGE role in pushing certain players. Look at the media attention Tavares got for finishing 17th in league scoring....Hart nomination. He 100% earned it this year! but not that year.

Look how LITTLE amount of attention Benn is getting for winning the Art Ross. If that was Tavares, all of the Toronto media would be talking how this in now Tavares's league.
Yeah, I agree, media plays a large role and sometimes it does turn into a snowball effect. But even that snowball has to start from something, and it's not like they just take a random player and hype him up. For example, the Islanders finally made the playoffs that year, and the Hart is about value to the team. Datsyuk was tenth on the scoring list and had two more points. A lot of players close to him in points also had an arguably better supporting cast. So maybe I still wouldn't put him as a top 3 player in that regard, but I certainly don't see it as all hype no substance. I can see the argument for it, even though I'd err on not having him there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11580-alex-kovalev-from-pariah-to-the-messiah

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...f-leadership-styles-of-captains-toews-stamkos

Wayne Gretzky said:
"There’s no question he’s one of the most special players the game has even seen, not even just in this era, but of all time,"

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6869&cHash=93aff59b1e1696385f63e94ff55a0f51

Wayne Gretzky said:
[Hemsky is] one of the elite players in the game. His skill is as good as anybody in the National Hockey League. He might be the best passer in the game. He sees the open guys as well or better than anybody at this level. I think he’s one of the best players in the game.”

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=53d99047-d9c5-4c11-aee9-09940f45761a

Wayne Gretzky said:
"I think [Ovechkin] could score 90 in a season,"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=653065&navid=nhl:topheads

LOL, over Lidstrom and Forsberg.

My favorite player over the last 10 years has been [Henrik] Zetterberg. I think Zetterberg is the best player in the game [at his age]. He's been so physically beat up from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Olympics, all that goes with that, but he's just very special. I think he's the best Swedish player they've ever put into the National Hockey League, and there has been a lot of great ones, from [Borje] Salming to [Nicklas] Lidstrom.

And also:

The guy that I'm a little biased about, but the guy I think has hockey sense to only Crosby and [Brad] Richards in New York is Kyle Turris. His hockey awareness and hockey sense is close to those two guys, and I consider them to have the best hockey sense in the game today. He's going to fit into that category soon.

Ever since he got torched for calling the Devils a Micky Mouse organization he's gone in the total opposite directions and just praises everything and everyone heavily.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I never said it did, and sure it's just one person's opinion. But he's been involved with the game longer and at a higher level than you, me or anyone else on these boards. So he's what you'd call an expert. Same as when someone gets a Ph.D. with a dissertation on something. Then they're experts on that thing. Can they be wrong when discussing a particular relating to it? Sure. But you don't go into a debate with them saying "oh, haha, here's me, I don't have your expertise, but my opinion here is equally as valid, because we're both just people". Not because the latter is untrue, but because an expert draws on his accumulated knowledge and uses it to form his opinion, even if he then doesn't express everything he drew on explicitly. That's not argument by authority, because I'm not saying he's definitely right.

But the point here was that some people here were saying how overrated Toews is, and I just pointed to an example of an expert and a non-poster that rates him even higher than the posters who are supposed to be overrating him. I'm also unsure of how overrated he really is on these boards. People are just saying he's really good, and if they say he's better than Giroux, an argument can be made for that. That's not being overrated, because the general sentiment isn't that he wipes his ass with Giroux. It's just that he's better. If you or anyone else disagrees (an a lot do), fine. But if he's winning a poll where the two are pitted against one another, then that doesn't automatically make him overrated.

I know you didn't say that. What I said was more of a general thought, not specifically aimed at you. It's just that what you brought up made me think of it.

And I don't think Toews is overrated simply because of a poll or something like that. It's the way people talk about him on here, even going so far as to call him the best player in the league that makes me feel like a lot of people overrate him. As for comparing him to Giroux, I think Giroux is better but I think it's close enough that a difference in opinion is fine.

It's also the types of arguments they use. So many of them proudly proclaim "intangibles" as the difference maker, when the simple fact that they acknowledge these things as being intangible ruins that argument. You can't factually say someone is better because of something abstract that can't be measured. Especially when he's being compared to another player known to be a great leader in Giroux, not someone like Kessel for example. With the hype and reputation he has on here you'd think that Toews is leading a team full of prospects to the cup every year, not one stacked with Allstar vets like Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, ect.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If you enjoy NHL highlights/etc on Youtube better enjoy them now

Because they will all be vanishing soon. MLB has gone to great lengths to remove content from web (Lawsuits/etc)

So if you have a favorite moment (A OT goal , etc) please enjoy it because soon it will vanish off YT and other online media

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
If you enjoy NHL highlights/etc on Youtube better enjoy them now

Because they will all be vanishing soon. MLB has gone to great lengths to remove content from web (Lawsuits/etc)

So if you have a favorite moment (A OT goal , etc) please enjoy it because soon it will vanish off YT and other online media
Ugh, thats such BS. Besides movie trailers, hockey highlights are all i watch on Youtube. Its bad enough they removed a 70 minute compilation of Gretzky highlights a little while ago. That was my favorite video on the internet

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Those compilations will be first to go

2005 White Sox had a ton of stuff up on YT for short period and then MLB came along and now there is like 2-3 highlights worth watching from entire year on there

MLB also cuts out all the celebrations/etc from a lot of there clips

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
That makes absolutely no sense to me, as well. It's literally free marketing for them. Obviously, full games and things like that should be removed, or extended highlights right after they happen, but they're killing their advertising by doing that. Vine has been doing great things for the NBA, College Football and even the NFL. Youtube in a similar way, as well. Removing these videos from social media outlets ruins this excitement that comes along with it.

If they had half a brain, they'd mandate that each team gets their own YouTube channel where they post game highlights, interviews, and various video compilations that they make of players. Advertising would be through the roof for those channels and it allows them to connect with a younger market. YouTube literally has 1 billion unique users every single month. 1 billion. That's nearly 1/2 of the people that have Internet access. If you market yourself properly, not only do you get advertising revenue but you're broadcasting your brand out to millions of people a day.

It blows my mind how stupid the MLB is, and yet, they wonder why interest goes down every single year. If the NHL doesn't do anything to market the sport to the American youth, they're not going to get any bigger anytime soon. ESPN won't broadcast it or report on it, since they don't have rights to do so, and that's realistically where most kids get their sports information from. There's a post currently on the NHL General forum asking if the NHL could sustain itself without the Canadian market and I think it's a resounding no if this is the road they're going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad