League News: 2015-16 Around the League V (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
According to Friedman, Department of Player Safety has received requests from teams to monitor Tom Wilson.

How about instead, you quit *****ing about clean hits? He got penalized for the one charge. ****ing whiny pieces of ****.
Seriously, what am I missing here? Trotz has done an excellent job of getting him under control and maybe even a bit too much at times. I'm sure I'm forgetting a hit or two, but what hits have even come close to anything beyond a 2 minute minor?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hate that our players have to get neutered by the league. First Ovi, now Willy.

It's high time BMac gets out of the hamsammich and reminds the league powers that fans want to see more than goals getting them out of their seats.

Management should push back to counter those that complain all the time cough Mario.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I hate that our players have to get neutered by the league. First Ovi, now Willy.

It's high time BMac gets out of the hamsammich and reminds the league powers that fans want to see more than goals getting them out of their seats.

Management should push back to counter those that complain all the time cough Mario.
Don't forget AV. Could you imagine if that Visnovsky hit was on McDoungh or Stall…

Mario is the most public, but I think there is other way worse teams. There is a lot of teams that get called differently because they're a heavy grinding team. They get away with so much obstruction. There are teams you can't get a consistent forecheck on because other players are moving over multiple lanes to block, hook and etc.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Don't forget AV. Could you imagine if that Visnovsky hit was on McDoungh or Stall…

Mario is the most public....

He has seemed to quiet down some, presume too busy counting all the cash from the handing landing of S1d and that fat NBC deal that always ft Pitt.

Or, with his largely failed marketing plan of the nuNHL skate fest / no hitting / no scoring, fellow owners may not care what he says anymore.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

totally agree. Willy's hits are clean hard checks. This is ice hockey FFS.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Mario is the most public, but I think there is other way worse teams. There is a lot of teams that get called differently because they're a heavy grinding team. They get away with so much obstruction. There are teams you can't get a consistent forecheck on because other players are moving over multiple lanes to block, hook and etc.

Yeah i've never really understood this. Especially when you watch games between Western teams. Referees just take completely different mind-set and blow the calls differently.

It's never been just this either. They give some players far more leeway compared to others. It's been years that fans from several different fan-bases have laughed how much (for example) interference some guys do off the puck. Henrik Zetterberg is a perfect example of this. It's silly that the things that he does off the puck are 'great defensive plays' when 90% of the NHL gets penalised for doing the same thing. That propably is mostly because of his reputation (especially among refs, since he's played forever) as a clean player, but still that seems silly. It's like the rules changed in 2005 to everyone but Zetterberg is allowed to play with the old rules. :laugh:

Soft teams can complain all they want, but NHL is just shooting themselves in the leg if they start suspending guys for clean hits.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hope the Caps management also complains about the physical players on other teams. The ****ing babies of the Metro division can't stand the fact that their Dmen are overpowered by Wilson along the boards.

Geno had quite the nice game yesterday for the Pens. He made a complete mockery of the Wild.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I hate seeing Fehr in a Pens jersey. :(

Also he just took a hard punch to head.
I got all excited someone was finally pounding on a Pen and then it was, "Awe, that is Fehr.". :laugh:

The Pens are really going to be treading water. Maybe they get lucky with Maata, but I would be shocked if he doesn't miss at least a month.

So what did everyone think of the Nino hit? I would expect nothing from the league. Door was a freak accident kind of situation.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I got all excited someone was finally pounding on a Pen and then it was, "Awe, that is Fehr.". :laugh:

The Pens are really going to be treading water. Maybe they get lucky with Maata, but I would be shocked if he doesn't miss at least a month.

So what did everyone think of the Nino hit? I would expect nothing from the league. Door was a freak accident kind of situation.

The league already announced that there's no further punishment for precisely that reason. But that was ugly. Hope the kid's ok. Was still in the hospital last I read.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm pumped about the ASG format. 3-on-3 tournament style? So much better than last year's garbage.

Yeah, it's going to be much better than last year. There is a prize for the winners, $1M split among the 11 players. I'm sure quite a few players will be very motivated. We're going to see some good hockey from the best players in the world.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
During the game that the Caps just won in OT, EddieO mentioned possibly having the long change for 2 periods as a way to increase scoring. I like that idea. But I imagine you'd basically have to swap all the STH who have "shoot twice" end seats.

It also occurred to me recently that they should not let teams ice the puck on the PK.

Also, hybrid icing has been awful for offense. I don't hate it because it is a player safety issue, but I'd look for ways to tweak it if I were the league.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
ugh, don't like the 3v3 for the all star game. I'm ok with the 3 game deal, kinda makes it a little tourney. But why do we need to make it a circus. 5v5 all star games are already way more up and down with high scoring. Not sure why the NHL feels the best way to showcase the game is to not even show the actual game at all.

Besides this new format has 2 more goalies now on the roster and takes away 2 forward spots. Don't like that either. Add this to the pile of reasons I can't wait for Bettman to retire.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
During the game that the Caps just won in OT, EddieO mentioned possibly having the long change for 2 periods as a way to increase scoring. I like that idea. But I imagine you'd basically have to swap all the STH who have "shoot twice" end seats.

It also occurred to me recently that they should not let teams ice the puck on the PK.

Also, hybrid icing has been awful for offense. I don't hate it because it is a player safety issue, but I'd look for ways to tweak it if I were the league.

I think it honestly think there would just be more icings. I have a feeling teams would still keep dumping it to kill time and get a breather. Not sure but its worth considering. I'm still in favor of smaller goalie pads and for crying out lout we need to go to international size rinks.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think it honestly think there would just be more icings. I have a feeling teams would still keep dumping it to kill time and get a breather. Not sure but its worth considering. I'm still in favor of smaller goalie pads and for crying out lout we need to go to international size rinks.

I really don't want to see the big the big rinks. There'll be no physical game left. If they could somehow split the difference... Bigger rinks but not that big, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad